The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

What kind of fiction book would you read from MJ, if any?

Would you read a fiction book from MJ?

• No, I'm only interested in business books from him, if at all.

Votes: 9 24.3%
  • Yes, any one of them.

Votes: 8 21.6%
  • Yes, but only a life story (Alchemist, etc.)

Votes: 5 13.5%
  • Yes, but only science fiction. (Dune, Star Wars)

Votes: 2 5.4%
  • Yes, but only mystery/thrillers (James Patterson, Koontz)

Votes: 1 2.7%
  • Yes, but only a world political/crime drama/thriller.

Votes: 1 2.7%
  • Yes, I'm open to anything based on description.

Votes: 11 29.7%

• Total voters

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
MOD NOTE:
I posted this some years ago, but never published it.
Curious to the answers.

As many of you know, I'm planning to write a fiction book and I have about a half-dozen ideas in the works, some of underway (more like plot outlines and stuff).

While the Great Rat Race Escape is 1/2 fictional, I was really hamstrung by the size of the book, and the fact that I had to incorporate nonfictional elements into the book.

If I wrote a book in the fictional space, my question is, Would you read it if it was the right genre?

Please vote, or feel free to comment.

Some of the ideas I have:

• International Political/Crime drama (think world spy agencies against a villain)... similar book/author: Clive Cussler
  • A Feel Good Life Story ... similar book: The Alchemist, Tuesdays with Morrie
  • A Science Fiction Drama / Future Story... similar themes: Dune (not the shitty movie version)
  • Fantasy ... similar book/author: Abercrombie/Riordian
  • Other...
Bottomline, would you read a fictional story written by me?

Just trying to ascertain if I should go with a different penname as people might be fans of my fiction, but haters of my non-fiction.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:
  • Admin

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Bump, this is actually a new post that was never live. Please vote!

Simon Angel

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
292%
Apr 24, 2016
I would, and I voted "Yes, any of them."

And yes, I think it would be a good idea to come up with a separate pen name for your fictional work. Very different audiences with little overlap.

P.S. I'm a sucker for abstract mind-benders like 2001: A Space Odyssey.

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
MOD NOTE:
Curious to the answers.

As many of you know, I'm planning to write a fiction book and I have about a half-dozen ideas in the works, some of underway (more like plot outlines and stuff).

While the Great Rat Race Escape is 1/2 fictional, I was really hamstrung by the size of the book, and the fact that I had to incorporate nonfictional elements into the book.

If I wrote a book in the fictional space, my question is, Would you read it if it was the right genre?

• International Political/Crime drama (think world spy agencies against a villain)... similar book/author: Clive Cussler
  • A Science Fiction Drama / Future Story... similar themes: Dune (not the shitty movie version)
  • Other...

Just trying to ascertain if I should go with a different penname as people might be fans of my fiction, but haters of my non-fiction.
I would say I would read it just to see what you write. Point being in here, people would just read it, because you wrote it. I gave you enough information, and you'll have to use your own creativity like the rest of us. Ha Ha!

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
458%
Mar 15, 2018
I read the Rat-Race half/half and didn’t enjoy it as much as Unscripted and FL. Mostly because it had the “fiction“ aspect to it. 95% of all books I read are non-fiction. Nothing against you MJ or your writing abilities, but I wouldn’t read most fiction books. Hence my vote above “Only interested in business books”.

heavy_industry

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
555%
Apr 17, 2022
I would like to see a western fiction novel with the fastlane forum members as characters.

@Antifragile and @Kak are playing poker at the table in the town saloon. Suddenly, @Black_Dragon43 walks in and they all draw their pistols.

@Johnny boy was sleeping passed out drunk in the corner, but the noise wakes him up.

Things were heating up, but the door opens again and the town sheriff @Andy Black appears. The situation quickly defuses.

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
I would like to see a western fiction novel with the fastlane forum members as characters.

@Antifragile and @Kak are playing poker at the table in the town saloon. Suddenly, @Black_Dragon43 walks in and they all draw their pistols.

@Johnny boy was sleeping passed out drunk in the corner, but the noise wakes him up.

Things were heating up, but the door opens again and the town sheriff @Andy Black appears. The situation quickly defuses.
There you go. Just put a bit of Tarantino in there. Ha! Ha!

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I don't read books anymore, and can't remember the last time I read fiction.

Can't imagine me as a town sheriff either, and certainly not one to cause those four to quieten down.

Subsonic

How you do anything is how you do everything
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
282%
Aug 16, 2022
Germany
MOD NOTE:
Curious to the answers.

• Other...

I really loved the story form Rat Race Escape.
A business based thriller could be amazing as well.

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
Would you ever write any kids books?

Seems like a huge gap in the market for common sense skills books for children.

"The Ant who said no!"

heavy_industry

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
555%
Apr 17, 2022
Can't imagine me as a town sheriff either, and certainly not one to cause those four to quieten down.

Trust me Andy, it's going to be an instant best seller!

We just need to come up with a good title for the book.

1677446232660.png 1677446244272.png

Black_Dragon43

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
332%
Apr 28, 2017
‍☠️ Eastern Europe

Haaaa haaa that would be hilarious :rofl:

N.S.

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
179%
Aug 26, 2013
UK
MOD NOTE:
Curious to the answers.

• Other...

I replied a bit literally by saying I only want to read business books from you, but that's because I only read a little bit of fiction and then only after they've had a lot of good reviews + the genres I like.

So that's not to say if you wrote a killer fiction book I wouldn't read it because you wrote it. I just wouldn't read it ONLY because you wrote it. On the other hand I can see that some people who know of you would read it because you wrote it.

And finally - very selfishly! - I've had so much value from your 3 business books that I'd rather you just write more business books so I can benefit :hilarious: .

Hope there's something useful in that ramble!

Bottom line I guess if you write a great book then nobody really cares who wrote it?

I can see how a pen name is useful to separate out marketing & expectations. On the other hand it feels like we live in an era where it's so powerful to leverage personal brands, and you already have serious leverage with yours.

Last edited:

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
458%
Mar 15, 2018

I’d read THAT. :rofl:

Next. A movie, anyone?

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
I don't read books anymore, and can't remember the last time I read fiction.

I was just thinking Johnny Boy would be demoted to old fashion hard work in the field plowing with horses, hacking away the long grass, the hot sweaty sun, and the long hours of physical hard work in the old western days. As he claims, he's all about that hard physical work without 2023 technology that makes it so much easier.

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
458%
Mar 15, 2018
I was just thinking Johnny Boy would be demoted to old fashion hard work in the field plowing with horses, hacking away the long grass, the hot sweaty sun, and the long hours of physical hard work in the old western days. As he claims, he's all about that hard physical work without 2023 technology that makes it so much easier.

@NeoDialectic and @fastlane_dad are the retired saloon owners. Preachers now!

Who else can we add to the story?

Robdavis

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
157%
Nov 16, 2022
United Kingdom

That's boring. You need to add some plot twists...

heavy_industry

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
555%
Apr 17, 2022
Who else can we add to the story?
@MJ DeMarco , of course, which would be the town mayor.

@Fox is the owner of a shooting range called "Fox Gun School" - the fastest fox in the west.

Me and @Spenny are working in the gold mines building our future.

@piano is (unsurprisingly) playing the piano in the saloon.

And Johnny Boy is legit a character in this story.
He has both a cowboy attitude/personality and a western outlaw username. (e.g. "Billy the Kid")

1677446232660-png.47329

G

Guest116255

MOD NOTE:
Curious to the answers.

• Other...

I am sure many others are like this, but I use reading mostly for educational purposes. Meaning, I read to learn and execute rather than to entertain myself. I mostly read self improvement and books about mindset (ex: stoicism). So, whilst I don't have an issue with fiction, I consider it would be ideal if it still serves as an educational book. The great rat race escape served two purposes, it was fictional sure, but it was also fictional in an educational way. It showed real life examples of what to do and what not to do. It allowed the reader to follow the journey from rags to riches.

xShepherdx

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
354%
Apr 11, 2022
Idaho
@MJ DeMarco , of course, which would be the town mayor.

@Fox is the owner of a shooting range called "Fox Gun School" - the fastest fox in the west.

Me and @Spenny are working in the gold mines building our future.

@piano is (unsurprisingly) playing the piano in the saloon.

And Johnny Boy is legit a character in this story.
He has both a cowboy attitude/personality and a western outlaw username. (e.g. "Billy the Kid")

1677446232660-png.47329
Don't forget to add a bunch of wannabe gold miners that keep asking "where are all of the best places to find gold?" and "should I buy a shovel or learn to make my own?"

xShepherdx

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
354%
Apr 11, 2022
Idaho

• Other...

On a more serious note, I'd read anything by you because I like your mindset/worldview/values.

I feel you could tell a really compelling fictional story or another business book and I'd enjoy them equally.

That said, I would suggest using a pen name if/when you go the fiction route just because I feel the audiences are a bit different and things might get confusing.

AlexH

New Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Oct 6, 2017
Germany
I can‘t wait for a new MJ Book, regardless of the genre. If I could choose, I would definitely like a book about food choices, training aspects and life choices. I imagine it as a kind of guide to the good life. Just think of the impact the Millionaire Fastlane (and its successors) had on businesses and entrepreneurs and then imagine what a ”lifestyle” book written by MJ would.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.