The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

What is the best Skill to have to get Rich?

Process

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
224%
Jul 19, 2017
Solving Pain
The people who are saying solving problems/selling are mostly right. Beneath that is the ability to keep re-charting your path forwards despite constantly getting knocked back. And beneath that is sensing what is worth getting knocked down for.

PS: Don't worry about knowing everything and meticulously planning 10 years ahead. Most of that will have to be revised once it makes first contact with reality. That's the most powerful barrier to entry in business. It keeps 90% of people from ever trying.

Dubidu

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
175%
Apr 2, 2018
UK
The ability to effectively deal with people.

Read How to Win Friends and Influence People. An oldie but a goodie.

I think it's a very good but basic comms. book which may explain why it's apparently Buffet's favourite. He displays all the classic signs of someone who is highly intelligent & more than slightly lucky (stating the obvious, I know) but who isn't the best communicator (I'm not talking about communication to his BH investors) but I think he admitted he wasn't the best at communicating to employees. I've met some seriously wealthy people and they don't possess the best communication skills. A lot are devoid of what might be considered a social personality entirely. They are extremely good at their job but HTWFIP is one for them. The older I am the more I realise just how much luck (as well as all the skills others have mentioned in this thread obviously) plays a part: I've observed luck at play in all areas of life.

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
And the more I work, the luckier I get...

It is simply adopting a way of life. There is no single skill that is more important than others. Just keep moving in the direction.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Matt Dassel

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
69%
May 15, 2018
I'm not rich yet but after years of pondering these are my favorites:

Objective skills
  • See through the appearances. Look at the world from the perspective of other people's emotion, desires, frustration and wishes. Get keen detail on what motivates them.
    "Always scorn appearances. And you always may. The force of character is cumulative" Ralph Waldo Emerson
  • Make the most out of what you have. Resist the temptation that only the children of richer parents cannot avoid. To always use their money at the expense of never living a true work immersion. Letting all your life skills come to the surface and that is the fuel you burn.
Psychological skills:
  • Self-conciousness. To know what emotions are coming up and label them at the first second. After knowing precisely, compare it with previous days and last time the same feeling happened.
  • When a psychological breakdown happens and you get depressive and suicidal thoughts. Remind youself of all your life opportunities until then and that, almost certainly, other people in history have felt the same emotions you are having but in very worse conditions. No technology and access to information. Harder access to food and resources. This is all a game your emotions are playing but in a far greater environment these emotions cannot rationally understand. Black people have never had a chance to read not too long ago. People have died in the guilliotine for saying what they thought.

Last edited:

Determined2012

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
108%
Jun 22, 2012
Chicago, IL
Persistence.

If you can push yourself past failure, adversity, being broke, being lonely, being tired, and whatever else AGAIN, AND AGAIN, AND AGAIN... Eventually you will succeed and accomplish whatever that goal is that you have for yourself.

Persistence will cure anything. It will make anything possible!

B. Cole

In thine hand is power and might.
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
328%
Mar 5, 2017
East Coast
I don’t know if you can apply a single skill of anything above any other and call that the single thing needed for success. Ditto on tenacity, vision, work, leadership. Resourcefulness and creativity are huge.

Laziness, lack of knowledge and lack of perseverance are major reasons for failure. Nothing works if you don’t. You don’t have to have all the skills and knowledge, but you do have to figure out where it lives and how to employ it.

maverick

Aspice, officio fungeris sine spe honoris ampliori
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
228%
Oct 26, 2012
Great answers. I'd add inquisitivity.

Question everything.
Be curious.
Be humble in understanding you can learn from anyone.
Listen.

Ayanle Farah

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
Dec 13, 2016
I don't think any one skill is going to make you rich, but one quality, not really a skill I'd say that is more important than others is the ability to solve problems, to figure out a way through the inevitable obstacles that will be put infront of you both internal and external ones.

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
257%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
I think it's all in deal-making -- that's a whole band of different individual skills.

Almantas

Nothing to Lose
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
475%
Dec 21, 2015
Ireland
The skill of being able to multiple your money over and over again.

Rabby

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
319%
Aug 26, 2018
Florida
Empathy. Specifically, the kind of empathy that helps you figure out what people want.

Second most important skill: trading what you want for what they want.

P.S.: "People" obviously includes your potential customers, but let's not also forget employees, landlords (if you lease), real estate sellers (when you buy), potential investors, etc. What do they want? Trade with them for what you want. Repeat as needed.

Last edited:

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I might have already said it:

The skill of building profitable businesses, especially ones that can be sold.

Bearcorp

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
237%
Jul 2, 2012
Australia
Empathy. Specifically, the kind of empathy that helps you figure out what people want.

Second most important skill: trading what you want for what they want.

P.S.: "People" obviously includes your potential customers, but let's not also forget employees, landlords (if you lease), real estate sellers (when you buy), potential investors, etc. What do they want? Trade with them for what you want. Repeat as needed.

I started to write this, did a few hours work, came back and you'd said it! Rep +

Empathy allows you to relate to people. Understand what they want and why, and deliver it so that all parties get a positive outcome.

Bearcorp

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
237%
Jul 2, 2012
Australia
I started to write this, did a few hours work, came back and you'd said it! Rep +

Empathy allows you to relate to people. Understand what they want and why, and deliver it so that all parties get a positive outcome.

And I should add I read @JScott mention empathy on another thread earlier in the week which got me really thinking about it.

ChrisV

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
May 10, 2015
Islands of Calleja

ChrisV

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
May 10, 2015
Islands of Calleja
Okay, serious answer? Motivation. Honestly believe that’s all you need. The rest you’ll pick up along the way.

But you said skill.. so for me it’s Biohacking.. hacking my biology to give me trait motivation.

JohnZ123

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
169%
Jan 23, 2014
Two most important skills/traits for entrepreneurship

1. Focus (Bill Gates & Warren Buffet Stated)
2. Resourcefulness (Jeff Bezo Stated)

MTEE1985

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
425%
Jun 12, 2018
Arizona
Two most important skills/traits for entrepreneurship

1. Focus (Bill Gates & Warren Buffet Stated)
2. Resourcefulness (Jeff Bezo Stated)

Tony Robbins also beats #2 to death saying “resourcefulness is the ultimate resource” (For the love of God please don’t let my mentioning him turn this into another guru thread, just giving credit where it’s due)

There are many great answers here to the OP’s question and at the end of the day it is rarely one specific skill that gets it done, rather the ability to continually learn, adjust and develop all of the necessary skills along the journey.

Thoelt53

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
293%
Dec 8, 2016
Boston, MA
Okay, serious answer? Motivation. Honestly believe that’s all you need. The rest you’ll pick up along the way.

But you said skill.. so for me it’s Biohacking.. hacking my biology to give me trait motivation.
Motivation is fleeting.

Discipline is king.

Rabby

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
319%
Aug 26, 2018
Florida
And I should add I read @JScott mention empathy on another thread earlier in the week which got me really thinking about it.

It's unappreciated by some, but it's so useful. It works in product development, UI/UX design, marketing, sales, service, lobbying, negotiation, hiring... marriage, child rearing :rofl:

Thoelt53

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
293%
Dec 8, 2016
Boston, MA
They’re the same things.

People who are motivated are disciplined. People who are disciplined are motivated.
They are not the same things.

Anyone can wake up one day motivated to conquer the world. The next day they may have lost all motivation.

Discipline is a muscle. A disciplined person has built their discipline one decision at a time, always choosing to do what needs to be done, regardless of being motivated to do it.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.