The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

What is the best Skill to have to get Rich?

vinn

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
80%
May 3, 2018
I'm new member here. Just read TMF book, it's life changing.

I'd like to ask you what is the best skill to have in order to get rich (in the long term) ?

Do you think sales is the best one?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Nix

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
767%
Nov 8, 2017
Australia
This is my first post here o.o - but I've lurked enough to find that the answer to this question is usually - Solve problems, provide value. Both of which are sorta interconnected anyway. If you're solving pains and needs, that's usually what value is.

If your product is rubbish and no one wants it, no amount of selling will make you a success....and if it does, it's only temporary and not sustainable long term.

Gunther Herzog

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
276%
Apr 22, 2018
Switzerland, at the lake of Lucerne
You ask the wrong question.

You should not ask how you can I make money. Instead you should ask yourself how you can i contribute the most.

Asking this question implies that you are money chasing. Money chasing won't get you anywhere. It especially won't get you rich.

If you follow the C-E-N-T-S strategy, you execute great, you deliver big time, anything will make you rich.

Real Deal Denver

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
245%
Jan 13, 2018
Denver, Colorado
Zsa Zsa Gabor put it best.

She said she was an excellent house keeper.

She said that every time she got a divorce she kept the house.

She was married nine times.

As she said...

zsa zsa.JPG

jlwilliams

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
199%
Dec 14, 2014
Tenacity is a strong contender for "best skill to get rich." One could also say vision or conviction or adaptability. Now, you could counter that those aren't skills, they are personal attributes. If you said that you'd be half right but more importantly half wrong. Attributes are skills that can be cultivated like any other.

The point of that cryptic line of hocus pocus? Don't get bogged down in collecting skills like code writing or copywriting or SEO. All good skills, but not in the same league as tenacity.

socaldude

Saturn Sedan and PT Cruiser enthusiast.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
212%
Jan 10, 2012
San Diego, CA
I would say awareness.

Self-awareness and other-awareness.

Why? Because it's how a lot of opportunities are found and how the best solutions to problems are found.

Lack of awareness is what causes shitty customer service, crappy products and even bad relationships.

Cause think about it. A lot of people don't get ahead because they are not even aware of their own self sabotaging behavior. And a lot of products are sub par because they miss a lot of important variables that were never taken into account.

ZF Lee

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jul 27, 2016
Malaysia
Leadership.
That's the second time you have said it here. The ideas thread I bumped earlier was the first time, if I can remember. :)

One question: In your opinion, @Kak, what's the difference between a leader and a manager? Or to an extent, does the leader manage some things as well?

I am currently leading a few groups for groups presentations in my current university classes (which can be another thread of extreme frustrations), and I found myself torn in between....

ay47

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
171%
Mar 29, 2018
That's the second time you have said it here. The ideas thread I bumped earlier was the first time, if I can remember. :)

One question: In your opinion, @Kak, what's the difference between a leader and a manager? Or to an extent, does the leader manage some things as well?

I am currently leading a few groups for groups presentations in my current university classes (which can be another thread of extreme frustrations), and I found myself torn in between....

Leaders revolve around influence and inspiration. People follow leaders because in leaders, they see a goal that is greater than themselves. There are some very smart people who work with Elon Musk. They are always impressed with his work ethic and depth of knowledge. Technical people are the first to scoff at managers. Every manager is the pointy-headed boss from Dilbert to technical people. The ability to get technical people to rave about your leadership speaks volumes

Managers have an element of command and control. Think of the old carrot and stick.

Last edited:

JAJT

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
549%
Aug 7, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Being able to take action.

Smart, dumb, confident, shy, extroverted, introverted, family, single, black, white, programmer, sales - you can find a million success stories across all walks of life across all personality traits and characteristics.

What you won't find is a rich person who didn't move their a$$.

Nothing will set you up for success better in life than being able to work on and make meaningful progress on the things that matter.

Real Deal Denver

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
245%
Jan 13, 2018
Denver, Colorado
Technical people are the first to scoff at managers. The pointy-headed boss from Dilbert is a very real thing.

This is so true, and made my day! I laughed at this out loud - how'd you know? I'm very technical, and I've had the most clueless bosses (and some of the very best too) you can't even imagine. Some people are... well... you can't fix stupid.

BTW, the best people in the different depts. I worked in left because of the pointy-headed bosses. There is a most definite cause and effect, and nobody in corporate can ever connect the dots to figure out why.

Nothing will set you up for success better in life than being able to work on and make meaningful progress on the things that matter.

Par excellence. It was Edison that said success is 1% inspiration and 99% perspiration. From your posts I read JAJT, I see you share the same DNA as Edison. That's not a common thing. Make no mistake that your insight has been noted, appreciated, and extremely helpful to me!

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska

I'd like to ask you what is the best skill to have in order to get rich (in the long term) ?

Do you think sales is the best one?
Best skills -- A lot of hard work, study, coupled with a big dose of humility. You have to give -- in order to get. You give up front without knowing IF you are going to get anything back.

Yes, selling is a great skill. The best salesmen I know are masters of the human spirit and nature. They care about the people they are helping through their selling.

Roli

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
Jun 3, 2015

I was sorely tempted to write 'being an excellent golfer', however I will reign in my sarcasm and say instead;

read the book again and you won't be asking that question.

Mr.Brandtastic

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
309%
Sep 27, 2017
Parents' House
Discipline.

Discipline can get you anything you want. Patience is another one. Those who are impatient will get nothing and deserve nothing.

Nomadic

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
194%
Jan 16, 2016
You're looking for a key. You're looking for someone to type one skill, you go and study that skill, and then have riches. One answer to "getting rich". It doesn't exist.
The best skill I think? Be willing to adapt and start looking at things from different angles. You gotta start looking at this from another angle ASAP.

masterneme

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Apr 13, 2015
Hmmmmmm, so you want to know THE skill for Fastlane success huh?

It's learning.

Learning that you will need to learn better and faster all the time.
Learning that there is no single skill to succeed.
Learning that you will need to deprecate many character traits and habits.
Learn to unlearn to learn more.
And learn that the learning never ends because we're forever ignorant at many things.

Real Deal Denver

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
245%
Jan 13, 2018
Denver, Colorado
Hmmmmmm, so you want to know THE skill for Fastlane success huh?

It's learning.

Learning that you will need to learn better and faster all the time.
Learning that there is no single skill to succeed.
Learning that you will need to deprecate many character traits and habits.
Learn to unlearn to learn more.
And learn that the learning never ends because we're forever ignorant at many things.

I felt that one. It stung a little bit. Great post - right on the money! This is one that gets printed out and hung on the wall!

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
492%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas

No problem @ZF Lee

First of all a "manager" is just a job title... A manager can be a leader or not.

Leadership is about WAY more than just guiding employees. It is about establishing overall influence, being someone that others want to be associated with, and believe in. You NEED people in order to build a real company.

Good leaders can inspire those around them.
Good leaders are able to raise money without much effort.
Good leaders can sell without selling.
Good leaders surround themselves with people smarter than themselves, yet the people surrounding them wouldn't agree.
Good leaders are NEVER a dickhead tyrant or know it all.
Good leaders never have to tell you how great they or their product or idea are.
Good leaders can explain value propositions.
Good leaders can easily find bad a$$ business partners.
Good leaders can get people excited about working for them or on their projects.
Good leaders can get any task finished regardless of if they know how to do it themselves or not.
Good leaders can get what they want without even asking for it.

I believe wholeheartedly that people will only truly rise to their level of leadership. The cool part is that it's possible to learn to be a better leader.

Last edited:

Real Deal Denver

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
245%
Jan 13, 2018
Denver, Colorado
No problem @ZF Lee

First of all a "manager" is just a job title... A manager can be a leader or not.

Leadership is about WAY more than just guiding employees. It is about establishing overall influence, being someone that others want to be associated with, and believe in. You NEED people in order to build a real company.

Good leaders surround themselves with people smarter than themselves, yet the people surrounding them wouldn't agree.
Good leaders never have to tell you how great they or their product or idea is.
Good leaders can get people excited about working for them or on their projects.
Good leaders can get any task finished regardless of if they know how to do it themselves or not.

I believe wholeheartedly that people will only truly rise to their level of leadership. The cool part is that it's possible to learn to be a good leader.

MAN, I wish I had encountered leaders in my past the way you describe them. I know they're out there!

I'll add that good leaders grow the business and take care of their key workers. Out of the ten so called leaders I've encountered in my life (give or take), only ONE fits the bill of what you described Kak.

Only one. And that one is the only one that took care of his people too. Coincidence?

Every leader relishes the thought "they made it" and are a great leader. So many think that, and so few really are. I might write a book about that. I wouldn't do it for the money - I just want to bash the egomaniacs of the world that are way too full of themselves. Think: Dilbert (LOL). For the most part, the reason they're leaders is they're the best available choice at the time - which means they're sometimes "only" the best of the lousy selection available. Not much to be proud of too many times.

ZeroTo100

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
179%
Feb 2, 2016
New York City / New Jersey
No disrespect to any of the responses here but too generic.

I think you need a SKILL AND A PROBLEM! It doesn't matter what that skill is...

Master a skill set so that you can increase your value to others. This may not get your super wealthy, but you'll never go broke. People are always looking for ideas, ideas, ideas, ideas....Master a skillset that aligns with your personality FIRST, than execute on providing value. Learn how to drive paid traffic, learn funnels, lead gen, direct response marketing, importing, amazon, learn copy, learn SEO, design...Pick 1 skill to learn and become a master of it to a point where it's an art.

Than, use that art to solve a problem and prove your value to your customers. Everybody has problems bro throughout their everyday life. If you don't, go get one. It's not only about problems either...People have needs...They have emotions...They have feelings...Sell something they want!

Utilize that skillset to make money.

Perfect example are members on this forum..They have become so good at making money on selling on amazon that now, not only are they using that still to continue to make money on amazon but they are selling YOU services and products to make money on amazon. They are selling you the tools, the shovels that you need and they are doing it at the perfect place - a place where entrepreneurs congregate.

Use your skills to provide value

ZF Lee

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jul 27, 2016
Malaysia
No problem @ZF Lee

Good leaders never have to tell you how great they or their product or idea is.

I believe wholeheartedly that people will only truly rise to their level of leadership. The cool part is that it's possible to learn to be a good leader.
Reps+! Thanks for clearing things up.

I think this is always why a business can never be truly 100% passive, although processes CAN be streamlined to allow some detachment of time. I'm not complaining though.

MAN, I wish I had encountered leaders in my past the way you describe them. I know they're out there!

I'll add that good leaders grow the business and take care of their key workers. Out of the ten so called leaders I've encountered in my life (give or take), only ONE fits the bill of what you described Kak.

Only one. And that one is the only one that took care of his people too. Coincidence?

Every leader relishes the thought "they made it" and are a great leader. So many think that, and so few really are. I might write a book about that. I wouldn't do it for the money - I just want to bash the egomaniacs of the world that are way too full of themselves. Think: Dilbert (LOL). For the most part, the reason they're leaders is they're the best available choice at the time - which means they're sometimes "only" the best of the lousy selection available. Not much to be proud of too many times.
It's rare to find individuals with all the boxes ticked, the same way we find a business that ticks all the CENTS commandments in the beginning.

I did meet leaders who developed exceptionality in at least ONE or a FEW of these traits, with the other qualities developed to at least a decent standard.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.