The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

What is the best Skill to have to get Rich?

ZF Lee

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jul 27, 2016
Malaysia
I think the best skill is being immune to the thoughts or opinions of others.
Immune? If we all were immune that way, we wouldn't need this forum at all because we can't use it! ;) This place relies on the opinions of real-life entrepreneurs after all.

As long as we interact with people, human influence will always have some impact on our decisions.
Specifically, we should be able to filter the cream out of the opinions of others. There can be many good ideas that people can give, but the tough cookie is choosing the best ones.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
492%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
I think the best skill is being immune to the thoughts or opinions of others.

Not bad in the beginning, but eventually, when their thoughts turn positive, it's not much help.

Dwight Schrute

Ludicrous Speed
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
287%
Oct 27, 2014
where eagles dare
Some great answers in this thread.

Me thinks it could be summarized as...

...successfully dealing with people.

If you're selling face to face, trying to

get people to part with their hard earned money...

...or display some epic visionary leadership at

the boardroom table to get Mr Thinkbig on your side.

If you're facing criticism from those close to you...

...or struggling with self-doubt, wandering alone

through the desert of desertion.

Even if you haven't even started yet, and are

carefully observing those around you, trying to uncover

the motivations behind their actions, so you can eventually

help them scratch their itch (and get handsomely paid to do so).

You have to deal with people.

Including yourself.

You can't materialize cash out of thin air.

It will always come from other people.

Siberia

Surprise
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
203%
Apr 30, 2016
Siberia
Not bad in the beginning, but eventually, when their thoughts turn positive, it's not much help.

Maybe it's better to listen to everyone but not be influenced by anyone.
Unfortunately, even the positive thinking of others must be taken with careful caution.

Envision

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
779%
May 5, 2014
Stop Talking. Start Doing.

Seeker

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
181%
Dec 21, 2015
Germany
Last year I had the opportunity to talk to somebody who sold his former start-up for several millions to a large corporation. And I asked him the same question. His answer was:

Perseverence / Persistence

Go further where others give up.
Be persistent in your outcome but flexible in your approach.

ryanbleau

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
224%
Jun 22, 2014
Scottsdale , Az
From personal experience, Get really good at picking yourself up off the ground. You're gonna take hits that are worse than a nut shot on a regular basis. Gonna cry in the broom closet so your employees don't see you. Your going to drink heavier than you ever have because you wont hit payroll that week. And when it all falls apart, your going to try it all over again because the high is definitely worth more than a paycheck from someone else.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
The skill of building profitable businesses that can run without you?

SquatchMan

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
383%
Dec 27, 2016
Nowhere
I believe wholeheartedly that people will only truly rise to their level of leadership. The cool part is that it's possible to learn to be a better leader.

How does one learn to be a better leader? Experience + honest self-reflection?

Curious on this. Lots of people say leaders are born, but I think people only say that because their ego is too big to admit they can improve themselves.

Argue

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
385%
Oct 1, 2016
NYC
Enthusiasm.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
492%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
How does one learn to be a better leader? Experience + honest self-reflection?

Curious on this. Lots of people say leaders are born, but I think people only say that because their ego is too big to admit they can improve themselves.

I don't call domineering egotistical douches leaders anyway. Sure they might be in a leadership position, but that doesn't make them a good leader.

The best way to learn leadership in my opinion is to learn how to deal with people. It's more a study of psychology than one of power and domination. Who wins long term? The guy who only concerned with leverage and working angles? Or the guy that has respect, trust, some leverage, a good track record, charisma and an understanding of what motivates the people they are leading?

Last edited:

Cashflow Queen

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
470%
Mar 6, 2018
Long Beach, CA
I'm new member here. Just read TMF book, it's life changing.

I'd like to ask you what is the best skill to have in order to get rich (in the long term) ?

Do you think sales is the best one?

Yah sales is nearly the ONLY skill you need to have. The rest falls into place after sales. But the fundamental is always sales because all money in the world comes from transactions. You can learn any skill to help you but if you can’t get the sale then your business is still at 0. This is discussed in Alex Becker’s book “10 pillars of wealth” good read

IGP

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
276%
Aug 24, 2015
Yah sales is nearly the ONLY skill you need to have. The rest falls into place after sales. But the fundamental is always sales because all money in the world comes from transactions. You can learn any skill to help you but if you can’t get the sale then your business is still at 0. This is discussed in Alex Becker’s book “10 pillars of wealth” good read

There are plenty of good salesmen who ran their business straight into the ground.

Being good at sales doesn't make you an Entrepreneur or guarantee wealth at all. It just makes you a salesman.

IGP

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
276%
Aug 24, 2015

Yep, very similar to my avatar, which you can't read:
[GALLERY=media, 157]Success by IGP posted May 9, 2018 at 5:24 PM[/GALLERY]

divine

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
67%
Feb 23, 2015
Identifying opportunities, testing them and scaling them big DEDICATEDLY.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

million$$$smile

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
703%
Dec 25, 2012
Midwest
Vision

"Where their is no vision, the people perish"

If one can paint the VISION to employees, investors, customers or even skeptics, I believe one can find a following in whatever endeavor they pursue.

This is a leadership quality, yet one may not necessarily have other qualities of leadership, yet with a vision, one can find a leader to lead if needed.

Vision coupled with great leadership is the difference between great businesses and just good businesses.

I believe one can do the 'impossible' with vision.

Cashflow Queen

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
470%
Mar 6, 2018
Long Beach, CA
There are plenty of good salesmen who ran their business straight into the ground.

Being good at sales doesn't make you an Entrepreneur or guarantee wealth at all. It just makes you a salesman.

Of course, being a good salesman does not guarantee wealth or every good car salesman would be a millionaire. But there are no successful entrepreneurs who are not good at sales. Even if you’re a geeky software developer, at some point you need to sell your vision to the people you recruit and to your investors.

Ritchie

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
300%
May 9, 2018
Communication
^ Exactly this. Which is a bit thick coming from an introvert who didn't believe in communication or networking. But a few years ago I trained myself to treat everyone as if they were my role model (Bill Gates).

Not just in how would I treat Bill Gates, but also what would I ask him and how would I behave around him? Would I really get upset with Bill Gates if he cuts me off in traffic? Probably not, so why would I get upset if somebody else does it, and risk ruining a connection by flipping somebody off I might need later?

It is through this behavioural change that doors opened, not only in connections but also in ideas. People just love complaining about their work. And I love fixing their problems and charging money for that. So that's one way I get access to that.

Last edited:

jsk29

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
314%
Jul 30, 2014
US
^ Exactly this. Which is a bit thick coming from an introvert who didn't believe in communication or networking. But a few years ago I trained myself to treat everyone as if they were my role model (Bill Gates).

Not just in how would I treat Bill Gates, but also what would I ask him and how would I behave around him? Would I really get upset with Bill Gates if he cuts me off in traffic? Probably not, so why would I get upset if somebody else does it, and risk ruining a connection by flipping somebody off I might need later?

It is through this behavioural change that doors opened, not only in connections but also in ideas. People just love complaining about their work. And I love fixing their problems and charging money for that. So that's one way I get access to that.

Same here, I'm an introvert who underestimated the importance of communication skills.

No company will hire you if you can't communicate to the interviewers how you would be an asset to the company.

No person will date you if you can't convey some charm and personality via communication.

No one will pay for your product or service if you can't communicate how it will add value to their life.

Even if you're a coding ninja, no scale will achieved if your source code is a big mess that only makes sense to you.

To bring up a thought from Sapiens: Neanderthals, the cousins of our ancestors, were physically stronger than us and were just as intelligent. However, what made Homo Sapiens thrive and dominate the world was our superior ability to communicate.

ALC

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
99%
Jul 19, 2017
France
Communication, sales, persistance, all of these mentionned before are needed, some fall into place with time, some has to be learned but it's necessary.

Not everybody is in business and there's a reason behind it, it's difficult

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.