The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

What if the idea is too expensive? Also are these excuses?

Idea threads

LiveEntrepreneur

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
79%
Aug 17, 2017
Australia
So I was thinking what you have a idea that fixes a problem in the market but it's too expensive? I am talking about over 1 million dollars. Do you do another idea because it will be too hard to get that sort of funding or would you try get investors? I am speaking from a standpoint for someone who is brand new, inexperienced. Who the hell would invest millions of dollars into someone who doesn't know what they are doing?

Also are these excuses to not doing such an expensive project?
* I can't do it because this project is way out of my league, it's just too massive.
* I need a team and I have no leadership skills and I have never lead a team.

Or is the answer to these points above that you will learn everything on the job? And you will learn with massive struggle? I just want to make sure this is correct.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I like the advice from Dan Norris in his book “The 7 Day Startup”.

Paraphrasing:

Consider product-founder fit, not just product-market fit.

If *you* can’t launch in 7 days then maybe the product-founder fit isn’t right - yet.

Maybe look for things you can launch in 7 days?

jon.M

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
343%
Jul 4, 2016
Sweden
If you need a team, how can you at least get it rolling as a one-man-show? If it's too massive as a whole, couldn't you just focus on taking it one step at a time?

LiveEntrepreneur

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
79%
Aug 17, 2017
Australia

Paraphrasing:

If *you* can’t launch in 7 days then maybe the product-founder fit isn’t right - yet.

I can get the mvp up, I am talking about a landing page. and probably build a email list.

LiveEntrepreneur

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
79%
Aug 17, 2017
Australia
If you need a team, how can you at least get it rolling as a one-man-show? If it's too massive as a whole, couldn't you just focus on taking it one step at a time?
I probably can, I just want to know that it's possible and that I am not been unrealistic.

Jeff Noel

Go all in.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
219%
Oct 26, 2018
Quebec, Canada
expensive is a subjective thing, 1m is cheap for a trillionaire. go for it but baby step at a time :D
Wealth wisdom when you can't afford a $8 domain name.

@LiveEntrepreneur : Try doing what you said: Make a landing page along with a CTA to get into your mailing list. If you can, take a little more time (if it's a complicated website, app or software that you have in mind) and try to create mockups. Simply add screenshots of the mockups in your landing page, showing that's it's "in progress".

Also add a section for business inquiries (investors, angels, etc.), that could help you get the capital to kickstart the development of your idea.

George Appiah

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
194%
Aug 16, 2018
Accra, Ghana

To his credit, he's following his own advice: one step at a time. The $8 domain surely will come at step 101 :) -- though I'm 100% sure (because I've done it) that first-time GoDaddy customers can get a domain for $0.99 (if you're smart enough to remove all the idiotic upsells).

ArminZ

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
75%
Nov 11, 2014
Europe
Try to think in a simple way.
You have an idea - that is great. As some people mentioned, one thing than you CAN do is make a MVP (minimum viable product). Just make a sketch on paper or use free web services.

Then test this idea. Ask some people around (potential clients) does it solve their problem. If you see some traction, visit events where you might meet potential partners (coders, investors, etc).

Be open. Do not be afraid to share your idea. While it has some risks to be stolen - you cannot attract partners without telling main core of it.

Finally, no investor will drop 1M right away. You need to have some ground of the project. So either you go through the process and build on your own or find companions who will help you while you can focus on another important steps.

If it fails - no worries. You will be a little step forward towards better version of yourself.

ned.ryerson

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Nov 14, 2018
I’m an investor, this is how I read your post.

So I was thinking what you have a idea that fixes a problem in the market but it's too expensive? I am talking about over 1 million dollars.

I believe you are communicating here that someone has a million-dollar problem (expensive) and you have a solution…

Do you do another idea because it will be too hard to get that sort of funding or would you try get investors?

It is not difficult to get funding to solve a million-dollar problem. This is actually pretty small from the perspective of a private equity.

I am speaking from a standpoint for someone who is brand new, inexperienced. Who the hell would invest millions of dollars into someone who doesn't know what they are doing?

I’m confused now. Was it a million-dollar problem or you asking about raising $1 million to solve a problem of size ???? But now you are saying investing millions.

You’re coming to me for money and you have no plan, no team, and no experience. Yeah I’m not stroking you a check.

Here’s what you needed to say.

=====================================

Hi fastlaners, my name is John Smith. Here is a link to a Google doc, defining a business plan as follows.

I’ve been observing a particular industry/sector, which has a problem/opportunity, of….

I have contacted CEOs and COO’s of the following companies, who have validated that if there was a product/solution, that they would explore collaborating.

One organization, in particular, is XYZ Corp. whom I have a 10-year relationship with as a result of….

They have agreed to a joint development effort whereby they are going to provide user acceptance testing of the product/solution at a reduced cost in exchange for their feedback.

I’ve created a work breakdown structure (WBS), in addition to a rough order of magnitude (ROM) of getting the minimal viable product (MVP) at a point that can be deployable to XYZ Corp.

We will be operating the business with lean principles, and the product/service offering will be developed using agile principles. This will allow us to pivot quickly and ensure we hit the target with the least amount of resource waste.

The plan details all the known risks, issues, assumptions, and dependencies (RAID.

The plan details the team and who is responsible, accountable, consulted and informed (RACI) in the venture.

The dates and dollars are all laid out.

I haven’t personally led something of this scope and complexity, but I have the following mentors who have....

This inexperience is accounted for in the term sheet I’m offering you as follows…

Last edited:

TreyAllDay

Whatever it takes
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
311%
Feb 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB

Paraphrasing:

Sounds like an interesting book - will have to give it a read.

LiveEntrepreneur

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
79%
Aug 17, 2017
Australia
I’m an investor, this is how I read your post.

I believe you are communicating here that someone has a million-dollar problem (expensive) and you have a solution…

It is not difficult to get funding to solve a million-dollar problem. This is actually pretty small from the perspective of a private equity.

I’m confused now. Was it a million-dollar problem or you asking about raising $1 million to solve a problem of size ???? But now you are saying investing millions.

You’re coming to me for money and you have no plan, no team, and no experience. Yeah I’m not stroking you a check.

Hi fastlaners, my name is John Smith. Here is a link to a Google doc, defining a business plan as follows.

I’ve been observing a particular industry/sector, which has a problem/opportunity, of….

I have contacted CEOs and COO’s of the following companies, who have validated that if there was a product/solution, that they would explore collaborating.

One organization, in particular, is XYZ Corp. whom I have a 10-year relationship with as a result of….

They have agreed to a joint development effort whereby they are going to provide user acceptance testing of the product/solution at a reduced cost in exchange for their feedback.

I’ve created a work breakdown structure (WBS), in addition to a rough order of magnitude (ROM) of getting the minimal viable product (MVP) at a point that can be deployable to XYZ Corp.

We will be operating the business with lean principles, and the product/service offering will be developed using agile principles. This will allow us to pivot quickly and ensure we hit the target with the least amount of resource waste.

The plan details all the known risks, issues, assumptions, and dependencies (RAID.

The plan details the team and who is responsible, accountable, consulted and informed (RACI) in the venture.

I haven’t personally led something of this scope and complexity, but I have the following mentors who have....

This inexperience is accounted for in the term sheet I’m offering you as follows…
Interesting. I wish I did have a mentor to guide me, which would make life a lot easier. But for now will start with baby steps I guess.

RichieG

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
67%
Sep 27, 2018
So I was thinking what you have a idea that fixes a problem in the market but it's too expensive? I am talking about over 1 million dollars. Do you do another idea because it will be too hard to get that sort of funding or would you try get investors? I am speaking from a standpoint for someone who is brand new, inexperienced. Who the hell would invest millions of dollars into someone who doesn't know what they are doing?

Also are these excuses to not doing such an expensive project?
* I can't do it because this project is way out of my league, it's just too massive.
* I need a team and I have no leadership skills and I have never lead a team.

Or is the answer to these points above that you will learn everything on the job? And you will learn with massive struggle? I just want to make sure this is correct.

The first thing o would ask is why do I need 1 million dollars. Is it down to premises, tech, manpower.

Can the idea be scaled down to 1% and we need 10,000 dollars and build......

LiveEntrepreneur

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
79%
Aug 17, 2017
Australia

@LiveEntrepreneur : Try doing what you said: Make a landing page along with a CTA to get into your mailing list. If you can, take a little more time (if it's a complicated website, app or software that you have in mind) and try to create mockups. Simply add screenshots of the mockups in your landing page, showing that's it's "in progress".

Also add a section for business inquiries (investors, angels, etc.), that could help you get the capital to kickstart the development of your idea.
I have a question. The website I have found templates that give it the same look at other sites. so basically my idea is going to be based on another just have some improvements. do you think instead of a landing page I get a full page going if that makes sense?

ZF Lee

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jul 27, 2016
Malaysia
I might then wonder whether a better need idea would lie in the supply side, i.e. if Material X is so expensive for this product, could I do a business selling Material X at a better price to other folks producing similar products?

And I might also wonder if I need ALL the materials or parts in the first place. Rarely do you see all the functions of Microsoft Excel or even Google Chrome being used. Some of the best products are simplified to its bare functional value. So you might be looking at cost reduction.

I need a team and I have no leadership skills and I have never lead a team.
Not even in school? Never had friends asking you for answers to homework? Never had people praising you for any work you did before, and asking you who you did it?

All of us do have some leadership skills. But do all of us invest enough time and energy into them?

Jeff Noel

Go all in.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
219%
Oct 26, 2018
Quebec, Canada
I have a question. The website I have found templates that give it the same look at other sites. so basically my idea is going to be based on another just have some improvements. do you think instead of a landing page I get a full page going if that makes sense?

It depends on what you mean. For those mailing list pages, you don't want too many clutter in the page. If your website theme has a side menu and an horizontal menu with a huge title banner on top, it's already overwhelming the eyes of the reader (depending on the colors and layout).

Here's a sales page I did, just to give you an idea (the buttons are screwed up by Google Translate, sorry about that): Google Traduction

LiveEntrepreneur

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
79%
Aug 17, 2017
Australia
I might then wonder whether a better need idea would lie in the supply side, i.e. if Material X is so expensive for this product, could I do a business selling Material X at a better price to other folks producing similar products?

And I might also wonder if I need ALL the materials or parts in the first place. Rarely do you see all the functions of Microsoft Excel or even Google Chrome being used. Some of the best products are simplified to its bare functional value. So you might be looking at cost reduction.

Not even in school? Never had friends asking you for answers to homework? Never had people praising you for any work you did before, and asking you who you did it?

All of us do have some leadership skills. But do all of us invest enough time and energy into them?
I guess in that sense I do, I used to play competitive video games and once I managed to assemble a team and get us to practice, was a pain but made it work lol. And ended up playing a competitive match. If any of this counts.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Interesting. I wish I did have a mentor to guide me, which would make life a lot easier. But for now will start with baby steps I guess.

Can you answer his questions?

Is it a million dollar problem? Or a million dollars to solve a $10 problem?

Life is not easy and asking a mentor to assume the difficulty so you can have it easy is just another excuse.

Brian Fleig

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
121%
Feb 19, 2018
New York
Does someone sell a book of snappy yet current buzz words that impress?
Do these vague statements packed full of buzz words actually convert?
I know I'm coming off as a smart a$$ but I seriously wonder.

This inexperience is accounted for in the term sheet I’m offering you as follows…[/QUOTE]

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.