The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

What if I don't have a have a meaning and purpose?

Anything related to matters of the mind

Is meaning and purpose important

• Yes

Votes: 24 96.0%
  • No

Votes: 1 4.0%

• Total voters

papi016

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
153%
Jun 16, 2017
Marlin, Tx
I know in the book Unscripted MJ talks about why its important to have a meaning-and-purpose:

While rewritten 3Bs inspire starting, your meaning-and-purpose and its motivation cycle inspire finishing.

I also know without meaning I will give up too early, fail to finish and give up three feet from gold.

From spending some time on this forum I understand that the market is a selfish little brat. So my meaning and purpose shouldn't matter to them.

Why is it so important to have one I have written some whys but I guess they are not strong enough to get me to finish

Here are my whys:
  • To experience the best this life has to offer
  • Not being limited in the things I can do
  • Ease the burden for my mother
  • Prove my father wrong
  • To start dating
  • Be able to buy girls I like nice things
  • Support the things I like
  • To go into a store and know I can buy anything I want in there without having to worry
  • Start taking care of my life/health
  • Not have to keep track of what I spend
  • Be a role model to friends and family.
  • To become an Actor
  • UNSCRIPTION—never needing to work another day in your life
Maybe its because I haven’t had the coveted FTE it just doesn’t hurt bad enough for me.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

DVU

In Progress
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
236%
Sep 24, 2016
Croatia
1. Life's not that bad for you to do something about it
2. The ideas you had aren't that exciting

That are the 2 things I think stop the vast majority of people from moving forward, unfortunately including myself at the moment.

Late Bloomer

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
143%
Apr 17, 2018
I also know without meaning I will give up too early, fail to finish and give up three feet from gold.

Viktor Frankl wrote the book "Man's Search for Meaning" about his experiences in a wartime concentration camp, after he'd lost his family, health, home, belongings, the manuscript to his first book with all his research of many years, and any hope of an end of the war or of rescue.

Many people, including me, have said Frankl's existential humanistic philosophy makes this book one of the most powerful life-changing and challenging things they have ever read.

Frankl said life has no meaning, other than what we each choose for our own meaning of life. Life does not give us a meaning. It calls out to us to create a meaning. He said there are three types things we could choose:
1. There is someone or something we want to love or save.
2. There is some good work for us to do.
3. When all else is lost, the last human freedom is our ability to choose our own attitude, our own meaning, our own way.

So for you there could be:

Love/caring about yourself and other people
  • To start dating / buy girls nice things
Work
  • To become an Actor
and your own damn choice for no reason other than your power to choose
  • Prove my father wrong
  • To go into a store and know I can buy anything I want in there without having to worry
Is that enough to motivate you? Only you know for sure. Maybe you could think a little more about what these categories really mean to you.

papi016

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
153%
Jun 16, 2017
Marlin, Tx
Viktor Frankl wrote the book "Man's Search for Meaning" about his experiences in a wartime concentration camp, after he'd lost his family, health, home, belongings, the manuscript to his first book with all his research of many years, and any hope of an end of the war or of rescue.

Many people, including me, have said Frankl's existential humanistic philosophy makes this book one of the most powerful life-changing and challenging things they have ever read.

Frankl said life has no meaning, other than what we each choose for our own meaning of life. Life does not give us a meaning. It calls out to us to create a meaning. He said there are three types things we could choose:
1. There is someone or something we want to love or save.
2. There is some good work for us to do.
3. When all else is lost, the last human freedom is our ability to choose our own attitude, our own meaning, our own way.

So for you there could be:

Love/caring about yourself and other people
  • To start dating / buy girls nice things
Work
  • To become an Actor
and your own damn choice for no reason other than your power to choose
  • Prove my father wrong
Is that enough to motivate you? Only you know for sure. Maybe you could think a little more about what these categories really mean to you.
Thank you @Late Bloomer for this

Rep Transferred$$

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Here are my whys:
  • Prove my father wrong
  • To start dating
  • To become an Actor
Maybe its because I haven’t had the coveted FTE it just doesn’t hurt bad enough for me.

These aren't really whys. They are too general. You want to experience life? What does that even mean?

The only real thing you put down is that you want to become an actor.
  • To become an Actor
If you become a good/great actor, almost everything else you listed gets checked off.
  • Prove my father wrong
  • To start dating
Everything except these:
So enroll in acting class tomorrow. That's what you really want to do.

D

Deleted50669

My opinion is that the pursuit of meaning and purpose is synonymous with the pursuit of happiness. I think that a big part of why man experiences pain working for someone else, above all else, is his inability to exercise the pursuit of meaning and purpose. Sure, the long hours and the shithead boss create stress, but even in the absence of those things a person who works a job that has no alignment with their life's purpose will not be inspired or motivated. The rare few who align their life's meaning with their job don't actually work. They are paid by their employer to enjoy life.

That being said, it's a much smarter strategy to employ yourself. The odds of an employer meeting anyone's specific criteria of meaningful work that drives towards their intended purpose are slim. Let alone the financial potential of self-employment, the pursuit of one's calling is itself a strong enough justification. Again, that's just my opinion.

jramos02

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
108%
May 18, 2018
New York
@biophase said it best - your only motivator there is to become an actor.

Some of your "why's" aren't really why's. Why do you need those things to start dating? Or taking care of your health? Or buying things? Also, why do you need to buy things in the first place? That's consumerism mentality.

You need to find the true why behind all of them and THAT should be your motivator.

Emotion comes from motion. Like biophase said, just sign up for an acting class. Start dating girls - you don't need any other factor but yourself to do that one. And buy girls thing? If you need to buy them things they probably aren't the best girls in the first place.

If you feel stuck regarding the dating part, and don't want to chat about it in public, feel free to PM me. I've been there before.

Find your true why, but in the mean time - take action on the things that are under your control.

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
I not sure about your premise -- that "the pursuit of meaning and purpose is synonymous with the pursuit of happiness." Meaning and purpose are of the soul. Happiness is an emotional state. I've known a lot of people whose lives have a lot of meaning and purpose without them necessarily being happy. Some are tortured souls.

And since I've been self-employed for 42 years, I know that factor doesn't always bring meaning, purpose or happiness. After all these years, I still haven't decided what I wanna be when I grow up. And I've done more in, and with, those 42 years than most people do in several lifetimes.

I believe that the search for meaning and purpose is a daily task. It's a never-ending quest. As you go through the twists and turns of living, it is not static goal nor destination. You change. Your needs change. And most of all, your expectations change. What was beautiful and shiny yesterday is a "nothing burger" today. The stuff that drove you crazy yesterday is a comfort today. It's all part of the human journey.
www.wjkbusinessbuzz.com

papi016

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
153%
Jun 16, 2017
Marlin, Tx
You want to experience life? What does that even mean?
Travel the country, do an iron man, go to a swingers club, sky diving, go on a cruise, take my mom on a vacation, basically do things and not be tied down by fiscal constraints.

So enroll in acting class tomorrow. That's what you really want to do.
The acting thing is more of a passion project something I would love to do once I become Unscripted. I know my chances of making it as an actor are a little slim to none right now.

I guess the question I was trying to ask why aren’t my whys enough for me? To finish.

The goal is to become Unscripted so I can start to live life and pursue things that I am passionate about.

papi016

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
153%
Jun 16, 2017
Marlin, Tx
By doing some reading on this forum I believe I found my answer: I am to comfortable & comfort is the enemy to progress.

Basically whenever I face a challenge or something that feels uncomfortable I immediately retreat and procrastinate on what needs to be done. And push it until tomorrow well guess what tomorrow never comes because I just keep pushing and pushing it. No more now that I am aware of the problem I can fix it

Thanks @DVU @jasoncuellar123 @Late Bloomer @biophase @404profound @jramos02 @WJK for taking the time to reply to me.

Late Bloomer

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
143%
Apr 17, 2018
Travel the country, do an iron man, go to a swingers club, sky diving, go on a cruise, take my mom on a vacation, basically do things and not be tied down by fiscal constraints.

So more specifically, it would be worded something like, "be really active having lots of new experiences, most of them things that physically push me to discover and exceed my limits."

I might be a little off on what this means to you. The point is that the more specific you can get, the more powerfully that vision can get you fired up, focused on the best ideas, and taking action. People can think of ways to help you have experiences where you push yourself past your physical limits. They can't really think of how to just "experience life" as a generality.

This difference is shown dramatically in the end of the movie "When Harry Met Sally." When the guy's thinking, "I'll kind of wander around town now," he's slow and aimless. As soon as he realizes, "I won't let even one more day go by, let alone a year, without telling the love of my life I've been foolish to not commit to be by her side," he's focused and running hard against a deadline!

I'm not saying everyone needs the movie's point of view of romance, I'm saying it's an example of how specific clarity is so much more meaningful.

Maybe for you the criteria has to be, "Will this help me be a kick-a$$ adventurer or is it a temptation to be a couch potato?" The important thing is that it's true to who you really want to be.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.