The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Searching for a strong emotional meaning and purpose don't have one yet

Madman1996

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
63%
Oct 9, 2017
Netherlands
Being unscripted should be your meaning and purpose, I want to go snowboarding all winter. Guess how many times I went this year? My all time favorite hobby...... * one time *

To busy sitting in jail (job) watching life pass me by as I got into a train stuffed with dirty smelly and rude people, while being rained on nearly every day.

I'd much rather be sitting on a chair lift with a snowboard attached to my foot, it pained me to see people with snowboards on my daily commute while I was about to go make minimum wage to barely feed myself (I starved for a few weeks)

Just now I did the math to go snowboarding this upcoming season, it will cost me well over $5k, perhaps just a touch under $10k, seems like a lot of money and it is/isn't. In a regular job say you save $1k a month (which let's be honest barely anyone is doing)

Survey: 69% of Americans Have Less Than $1,000 in Savings ...
www.gobankingrates.com › Banking › Savings Account

Dec 16, 2019 - Despite a strong economy, a majority of Americans seem to be struggling to save money, according to GOBankingRates

Right, so over half the population doesn't even have access to $1,000.

How long would it take you to save up for a vacation in a regular job?

Do you see something here? Missing out on life, because you don't have a piece of paper that millions of people around the world willingly throw away?

Your meaning and purpose is what you enjoy in the world, and unfortunately in a capitalistic world, noone will give a single crap about what that is unless you got some pieces of paper in your pocket to pay for those things.
You spoke 100%
But I humbly disagree with the part that your meaning and purpose is what you enjoy in the world wasn't MJ saying that your meaning and purpose should not be your whims and desires? correct me if I am wrong

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)
You spoke 100%
But I humbly disagree with the part that your meaning and purpose is what you enjoy in the world wasn't MJ saying that your meaning and purpose should not be your whims and desires? correct me if I am wrong

From google

Your life purpose consists of the central motivating aims of your life—the reasons you get up in the morning. Purpose can guide life decisions, influence behavior, shape goals, offer a sense of direction, and create meaning. For some people, purpose is connected to vocation—meaningful, satisfying work.

So why do YOU get up in the morning? What do you enjoy?

I can't speak for you, but for myself I am motivated by freedom to do whatever I want, instead of being locked into a job and being forced to trade my life away to barely pay rent, feed myself and live in poverty.

Everyone has different motivations, some people want to be a better parent or person in the community, and some people just want to buy a Lamborghini to show off at the nightclub (maybe that's their life purpose)

If you still can't find your meaning and purpose you need to get out in the world and experiment with different activities, just now I hear sirens either EMS or Police, what is their life purpose? To help people. Keep exploring life, eventually you will find something that clicks with your soul. It could be saving puppies and kittens, or building homes in third world countries, something that leaves your soul satisfied.

Everyman

Get To The Choppa!
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
178%
Dec 31, 2015
Ireland
Hallo guys 23 years guy here I finally know whats been beating me up
Lack of strong emotional meaning and purpose that's why I bail out when losing interest in a particular project I have never felt this bad before i tried some brainstorming but that didn't help either
but that didn't help
I feel like crying saying this feels weird I feel like a dweep

Hey Madman,

thanks for sharing . It takes courage to write these things. I appreciate because it also helps me (sounds weird, maybe)...

I have read the rest of your posts here... I am curious and wanted to ask a couple of things...

This feeling or lack of thereof (strong emotional feeling and purpose about something) - is it constant? Have you felt it before?

You wrote it never felt so bad. Is the project the window cleaning gig you wrote (quote below)?

MTF I love your vibe and your content saw them on the INSIDERS highly appreciate that back to your question it was right when the COVID 19 thing came up and then I already was like I need to start a business to have more freedom being aka unscripted and wanted to have my feet before stepping in the world of entrepreneurship and have financial freedom and I took solely action on the window cleaning gig related to the objective to achieve financial freedom I think I don't have an interest for that gig and that is my only goal if that counts I hope I was clear enough btw I just saw some quotes from the book of Victor Frankly I think was his name I felt that he wrote that book personally to me became a bit emotional
and I don't have many friends and I don't exercise a lot I did boxing for a while at the moment no sport nor any physical activity but I eat healthy every day to stay in good mental health and avoid feeling bad because if I do junk food I will think like junk etc and I am unemployed at the moment

If you don't mind me asking, again. What were you doing before Covid and in life in general? What do you think led you to these thoughts of being 'unscripted '?

To be honest I am a huge fan of Viktor Frankl.

If you don't feel comfortable answering here, you can PM me.

By the way where in the Netherlands do you live? (I lived in Amsterdam). Cheers and again appreciate you shared your thoughts and feelings. It means a lot.

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
Lack of strong emotional meaning and purpose that's why I bail out when losing interest in a particular project I have never felt this bad before i tried some brainstorming but that didn't help either
but that didn't help
You will face these issues and feeling from time to time in your life. You are normal and your feelings are totally human. Meaning and purpose are both self-generated. They don't just fall on you. I have news for you. No one is going to show up at your front door to offer you the perfect life -- the perfect job/career -- the perfect house -- the perfect mate -- the perfect body... These are all issues that we each struggle with all of our lives.

And with each era in your life, those feelings and questions raise their nasty heads again. You finish one period of time in your life and then you must find another direction to create a new meaning and purpose. Ever heard of a mid-life crisis? Ever seen someone get a terrible cold that lasts weeks after they finish a huge project? How about the empty nest syndrome? What about a bunch of young people moving home with their parents after college rather than making their own lives? What happens to someone who has found great success and then it's all over -- like a child actor, an astronaut, or an athlete who goes to the Olympics? What do they do then? How do they get up and go on? And where do they go? Can they ever feel successful in their lives again?

This is the creative process of living. It can mean that you're growing up and exploring the world. Keep struggling with it!

Phikey

Fortune favours the bold.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
401%
Nov 7, 2017
Sydney Australia
I’ve spoken about this a bit already on the forum but something that has been insanely helpful for me (and 6-7 other friends of mine) was Jordan Peterson’s Self Authoring Program. It’s like $29 and honestly worth thousands to me. It gets you to really think deeply and identify the meaning in your life and sets you up towards orientating yourself in that direction.
Basically gets you out of the exact state you’re in now.

Jordan talks about the program here:

Here’s the link to the program: Self Authoring - What is Self Authoring?

What did it do for me?
I did this program while I was working a job I hated and not knowing what the heck I wanted with my life.
It helped me write out a plan for my life.

2 years later I went back to review what I had put in the program and I had accomplished every single one of the goals I had set. It blew my mind and now I recommend it to people all the time. I’ve had 6-7 friends go through it too and it helped each of them immensely.

The goals I hit:
  • Quit my job
  • Start a successful remote business
  • Travel Europe for 1 month
  • Move to south america
  • Learn fluent spanish
  • Learn to dance
It helped me get my MEANING understood. I realised why I’m doing what I’m doing with my life. Once I had my WHY I was able to get up early every morning and rush to my office to smash out a big day of work. It’s better than any coffee you can buy.

I did it 5 years ago (I think) and I try to do it every 18-24 months to realign my goals, purpose and meaning.

Something else that helped me find meaning was Ayahuasca but don’t touch that stuff with a ten foot pole unless you know you’re 100% ready.

Madame Peccato

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
311%
Jul 14, 2018
Morbegno, Italy
I’ve spoken about this a bit already on the forum but something that has been insanely helpful for me (and 6-7 other friends of mine) was Jordan Peterson’s Self Authoring Program. It’s like $29 and honestly worth thousands to me. It gets you to really think deeply and identify the meaning in your life and sets you up towards orientating yourself in that direction.

What did it do for me?
I did this program while I was working a job I hated and not knowing what the heck I wanted with my life.

2 years later I went back to review what I had put in the program and I had accomplished every single one of the goals I had set. It blew my mind and now I recommend it to people all the time. I’ve had 6-7 friends go through it too and it helped each of them immensely.

The goals I hit:
  • Quit my job
  • Move to south america
  • Learn fluent spanish
  • Learn to dance
It helped me get my MEANING understood. I realised why I’m doing what I’m doing with my life. Once I had my WHY I was able to get up early every morning and rush to my office to smash out a big day of work. It’s better than any coffee you can buy.

I did it 5 years ago (I think) and I try to do it every 18-24 months to realign my goals, purpose and meaning.

Something else that helped me find meaning was Ayahuasca but don’t touch that stuff with a ten foot pole unless you know you’re 100% ready.

Thanks, it looks like what I need, so I bought the program.

Last edited:

Madman1996

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
63%
Oct 9, 2017
Netherlands
From google

Your life purpose consists of the central motivating aims of your life—the reasons you get up in the morning. Purpose can guide life decisions, influence behavior, shape goals, offer a sense of direction, and create meaning. For some people, purpose is connected to vocation—meaningful, satisfying work.

I can't speak for you, but for myself I am motivated by freedom to do whatever I want, instead of being locked into a job and being forced to trade my life away to barely pay rent, feed myself and live in poverty.

Everyone has different motivations, some people want to be a better parent or person in the community, and some people just want to buy a Lamborghini to show off at the nightclub (maybe that's their life purpose)

If you still can't find your meaning and purpose you need to get out in the world and experiment with different activities, just now I hear sirens either EMS or Police, what is their life purpose? To help people. Keep exploring life, eventually you will find something that clicks with your soul. It could be saving puppies and kittens, or building homes in third world countries, something that leaves your soul satisfied.

Being unscripted should be your meaning and purpose, I want to go snowboarding all winter. Guess how many times I went this year? My all time favorite hobby...... * one time *

To busy sitting in jail (job) watching life pass me by as I got into a train stuffed with dirty smelly and rude people, while being rained on nearly every day.

I'd much rather be sitting on a chair lift with a snowboard attached to my foot, it pained me to see people with snowboards on my daily commute while I was about to go make minimum wage to barely feed myself (I starved for a few weeks)

Just now I did the math to go snowboarding this upcoming season, it will cost me well over $5k, perhaps just a touch under $10k, seems like a lot of money and it is/isn't. In a regular job say you save $1k a month (which let's be honest barely anyone is doing)

Survey: 69% of Americans Have Less Than $1,000 in Savings ...
www.gobankingrates.com › Banking › Savings Account

Dec 16, 2019 - Despite a strong economy, a majority of Americans seem to be struggling to save money, according to GOBankingRates

Right, so over half the population doesn't even have access to $1,000.

How long would it take you to save up for a vacation in a regular job?

Do you see something here? Missing out on life, because you don't have a piece of paper that millions of people around the world willingly throw away?

Your meaning and purpose is what you enjoy in the world, and unfortunately in a capitalistic world, noone will give a single crap about what that is unless you got some pieces of paper in your pocket to pay for those things.
From google

I can't speak for you, but for myself I am motivated by the freedom to do whatever I want, instead of being locked into a job and being forced to trade my life away to barely pay rent, feed myself and live in poverty.

If you still can't find your meaning and purpose you need to get out in the world and experiment with different activities, just now I hear sirens either EMS or Police, what is their life purpose? To help people. Keep exploring life, eventually, you will find something that clicks with your soul. It could be saving puppies and kittens, or building homes in third world countries, something that leaves your soul satisfied.
hey man thanks for clarifying things out for me I agree 100% its a search a quest that nobody can figure out but my self It's my birthday today I don't feel anything normally I would be happy and
delighted but now kinda feel like it doesn't matter alive or not weird anyhow I re-signed my self
to my boxing gym again gonna hit the gym tonight that is something I really look forward all the best Brother I am gonna keep searching and keep exploring

Paul David

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
199%
Feb 17, 2015
England

What did it do for me?

The goals I hit:
  • Quit my job
  • Move to south america
  • Learn fluent spanish
  • Learn to dance

Sounds interesting thanks! How long did it take you to learn fluent Spanish btw?

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)
hey man thanks for clarifying things out for me I agree 100% its a search a quest that nobody can figure out but my self It's my birthday today I don't feel anything normally I would be happy and
delighted but now kinda feel like it doesn't matter alive or not weird anyhow I re-signed my self
to my boxing gym again gonna hit the gym tonight that is something I really look forward all the best Brother I am gonna keep searching and keep exploring

happy birthday m8

Madman1996

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
63%
Oct 9, 2017
Netherlands
Hey Madman,

thanks for sharing . It takes courage to write these things. I appreciate because it also helps me (sounds weird, maybe)...

I have read the rest of your posts here... I am curious and wanted to ask a couple of things...

This feeling or lack of thereof (strong emotional feeling and purpose about something) - is it constant? Have you felt it before?

You wrote it never felt so bad. Is the project the window cleaning gig you wrote (quote below)?

If you don't mind me asking, again. What were you doing before Covid and in life in general? What do you think led you to these thoughts of being 'unscripted '?

By the way where in the Netherlands do you live? (I lived in Amsterdam). Cheers and again appreciate you shared your thoughts and feelings. It means a lot.
Hey every man first i thakyou
happy birthday m8
Thankyou brother God bless

Madman1996

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
63%
Oct 9, 2017
Netherlands

What did it do for me?

The goals I hit:
  • Quit my job
  • Move to south america
  • Learn fluent spanish
  • Learn to dance

This is Worth gold's of info definitely gonna buy his program awesome to hear that you got great results !!

Madman1996

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
63%
Oct 9, 2017
Netherlands
Hey Madman,

Hey everyman thanks for stopping sorry man is it okay with you if I can respond tomorrow to your questions iam just done with boxing gonna go to sleep just in Abit cheers man

socaldude

Saturn Sedan and PT Cruiser enthusiast.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
212%
Jan 10, 2012
San Diego, CA
In general this is an individual and personal development issue.

Fastlane requires a lot of motivation, discipline and economic and business sophistication/acumen.

It can be done. But you need to kill multiple birds with one stone if i can put it that way. Motivated just for money really isnt enough.

For me my motivation is freedome and knowledge. Understanding markets and learning different skill sets.

Vanyka

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
94%
Nov 17, 2019
New Zealand
but that didn't help

Hey bro, awesome question!

I might just have a simple answer for you, along with a how-to.

For years I made plans and goals. I achieved some, changed some and totally sucked at others. We are all human...

The thing is, these goals were scattered and were written down in one digital note (what's paper?) regardless of their importance in my life. So I had a big list of stuff I wanted to achieve in one place.

As you can imagine, these goals were not tied to a single purpose. They all achieved/improved something, which is great, but there was connectedness. Because of that I, like yourself, gave up on ideas and projects because they seemed meaningless after a while.

Behold, a book called "Grit" by Angela Duckworth (I haven't fully read it, to be honest, just learned about setting goals). Angela talks about having tiered goals that feed into one another.

Here's my version that might help you set meaningful goals that work!

As I like to put it, you have 3 tiers: Concept, Strategy and Tactics.

Concept aka Tier 1: this is you #1 goal in life, that is not likely to change. How do you know what it is, you ask?
  1. Take a look at one of your current goals, no matter which one
  2. Ask yourself "Why do I want to achieve this goal?"
  3. Take your answer and ask again "Why do I want to achieve [your answer]?"
  4. Do this over and over until you cannot dig deeper - once you cannot logically explain why you want to achieve something, it means that it is part of who you are on a deep level, and will naturally pull your being towards that. Well done, this is your life Concept!
This is something very personal to you. Just for perspective, here are a few random examples:
  • "I want to encourage and motivate others to make their lives better"
  • "I want to solve X global issue to improve the lives of people in X country"
  • "I want to be a positive contribution to the world"
Strategy aka Tier 2: here you set around 3 chunky long-term goals that are aligned with your Concept. These could change but typically they stay similar throughout. Some examples (let's say your main goal is the first on the above list):
  • "Become an excellent public speaker to move others"
  • "Raise a healthy, successful family that would be an example to others"
  • "Become financially independent so I contribute X amount towards X"
Tactics aka Tier 3: these goals are small, plentiful and flexible. They are most powerful when are used as habits. If you see that the habit is not getting you where you need to go, simply change it for another one. Unlike the above Tiers, Tactics can change monthly, weekly and even daily if need be. They are more circumstance-driven and help you stay on track by giving you flexibility to dodge potholes on the road, so to speak.

These goals can be copied from other successful people and tested in your own life. For example, some useful goals (habits) to set for public speaking from the above list might be:
  • "Read out loud every morning for 15 minutes"
  • "Attend Toastmaster evenings every week"
  • "Memorise one poem every week to improve memory"
Setting goals in this manner required some deep thinking (especially for the Concept) and focused planning. It is best to set aside a good chunk of time without distractions to really understand what you want. You only need to do this once, so it pays to do it well and not rush it (it took me a week or two to arrive at my Concept).

To sum it up, in your arsenal you have
  1. Concept (main purpose)
  2. Strategy (key things that achieve your Concept)
  3. Tactics (flexible actions for achieving a particular Strategy)
This is just one way of setting goals, but I found it the most effective. It gives you an advantage of structure, deeper meaning and inherent motivation if reviewed regularly (yes, look at your goals at least once a week to keep a clear target in your brain's sights).

Good luck, and keep rocking!

Love you all!
:cool:

D

Deleted78083

but that didn't help

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zyNyHark4xk

Help someone else. Solve a need.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content