The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

What has been GOOD about quarantine/corona for you?

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Well, I got married.... ;)
View attachment 32731
(I'm the one in the dress)

Beyond that, I've learned more about where my skills really lie. I'm actually BAD at daily management, mostly because I hate it so much. I ran into an old consulting client (one I had taken from dissolving the company to a $3M in revenue), and he reminded me of how changing his lead worker into management was critical for freeing up his time and energy. I can HIRE A MANAGER! Sheesh. Why did I think I had to do it all myself?

Not much else has changed here, except we couldn't do the Italian honeymoon yet, and the wedding was 11 people instead of 150. We'll do a huge wedding again when we can.
Wow. Congrats!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Devampre

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
119%
Jan 6, 2016
Canada
I suppose the best thing has been the money that I have saved and haven't spent on any frivolities. I am also going to schedule a 24 hour dopamine detox at the end of this week. So I am hoping to see some benefit out of that as well.

I suppose I've also been educating and applying myself on some things as well, but I haven't quite hit any remarkable milestones yet.

Anda el Diablo

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
173%
Nov 29, 2017
Las Vegas
My job has implemented “safety officers” since OSHA is all over job sites right now. I got taken from my normal duties and assigned to safety office duty, which is pretty much me telling people to put masks and hard hats on. I’ve been fortunate enough to be assigned to a Community that has only one house being built with 0-3 people working at a time (so not many people to watch after). While others are driving around all day looking for people to yell at, I post my truck up in one spot and read all day. It’s given me the opportunity to dive a bit into this forum (along with a few other outlets) and do some research on starting my own business. I’m literally getting paid to research all the stuff I try and find time to research when I’m off. That has been the biggest plus for me during the corona outbreak. I’m hoping by the time this is all over and I’m off safety office duty, I’ll be pretty close to starting up a business. They have no estimated time frame of how long we’ll be taking these measures, but if I had to guess I’d think at least another month. There’s another guy in my position bitching about how bored he is. He obviously doesn’t know how to implement his time. The way I look at it, I’m getting paid to do research that will hopefully pay out big time in the future. It’s a win win.

minivanman

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
265%
Mar 16, 2017
DFW
The best thing that has happened is that my wife has been at home. I really hate it that she works but it makes her happy so I try to not bring it up. So I've enjoyed having her here and not stressed about work. She has had a few meetings online but not many. We are heading to the beach in Galveston tomorrow for a couple of days.

No haircut and no cafe's open so that has sucked. We did get to go dirt track racing last weekend. The Sheriff drove up, turned off his headlights, stepped out of his pickup, looked at the full bleachers, shook his head, got back in his pickup and drove off. Maybe he knows that Corona don't like the smell of methanol burning...... us dirt trackers ain't skeered of no Corona ;) They did close 1 dirt track down for having too large of a crowd. It was in east Texas, luckily we were in Oklahoma.

GravyBoat

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
267%
Nov 25, 2013
San Diego
Lockdown has been a blessing in disguise for me and my business.

March and April were some of the best months we've ever had profit wise.

Been head down hustling ALL day. I wake up at 7, I work. I eat around 5 or 6, then chill for about an hour. Then I work till I pass out at 11 or 12.

Everyone else is distracted getting drunk at high noon by themselves at home. I'm out here grinding my a$$ off and it shows. Gonna come out of whatever lockdown with a lot more firepower (money) to invest in this business and grow it to the moon.

Nothing has gone wrong biz wise because of the lockdown. Thankfully. I'm blessed for that, I know.

Now I know why successful people are HAPPY when recession hits. Cheap businesses, cheap real estate, cheap stocks. Everything's on sale. Let's F*ckin crush it boys and girls!!!

Successful Steve

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
138%
Nov 3, 2018
Haha :) It is lovely Sweden. You should visit someday! We are actually having 'corona-tourists' from Denmark coming over to get a haircut, get their nails done or to just visit a restaurant here in Sweden.

But as Swede's say themselves. No need for quarantine here. Social distancing is their national sport, lol.

View attachment 32671

I have so much more respect for Sweden after this virus. Actually allowing adults to make the correct decisions. I’ve always liked the Nordic countries in general but Sweden surprised me on a whole new level by not overreacting to this. Me and my family are really thinking about moving over there. Especially with the downfall of capitalism in the US with corporate bailouts to the extreme by one political group and another political group basically creating Tyranny in return for false security.

Greg Behnke

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
127%
May 22, 2012
Scottsdale Arizona
Lost 30 lbs and grew business 20% the past 2 months. My wife and I go for a daily evening walk now. I'm looking forward to attending concerts and sporting events again soon and am not afraid of this at all.

André Casal

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
140%
Jun 1, 2018
This pandemic has been wonderful for me.

Here's why:
1. It's been an absolute pleasure seeing a level of compassion I haven't seen before and seeing mankind collaborate at a worldwide scale.
2. Because I tutor college students online I've had quite a bit more business than usual
3. I've taken advantage of the situation and rallied all my entrepreneur friends to get together at 8h50 on Discord and do 50min/10min work sessions. We're 10 at the moment. It's great. I become a lot more productive.

sonny_1080

Creating a tool I want to use.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Oct 30, 2019
Los Angeles

Bennett

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
140%
Jan 24, 2017
Tulsa, OK
Lockdown has been amazing for me. I bought a fixer-upper investment property, moved into it and will have it fully renovated and rented by the time lockdown is over with a meaningful chunk of equity in it.

My day job work has been minimal and I've seriously enjoyed having more balance in life in relation to doing what I need to do for myself vs. the company I work for. I suspect many of us feel that to some degree.

Chapas

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
278%
Nov 23, 2014
I have so much more respect for Sweden after this virus. Actually allowing adults to make the correct decisions. I’ve always liked the Nordic countries in general but Sweden surprised me on a whole new level by not overreacting to this. Me and my family are really thinking about moving over there. Especially with the downfall of capitalism in the US with corporate bailouts to the extreme by one political group and another political group basically creating Tyranny in return for false security.

It warms my heart when I hear this from someone outside of Sweden. My family and most of my friends live in Denmark, so I have heard so much critique from them about the Swedish strategy. I guess most people just are biased about what they hear from their local media and supports their country's decision?

I live in a city of around 350,000 people (1.3 million people in my region). Everything has been open since the corona virus outbreak started. Schools, restaurants/bars, fitness clubs etc. In these 2+ months a total of 101 people have died in the region from corona (mostly people in elderly homes, god bless them). Every loss of life is terrible, but I cannot really explain the 'low numbers' here compared to the rest of the societies. I do not think these numbers would have been much improved if Sweden had closed down the whole society.

You should definitely consider moving here. Sweden and Denmark are amazing places, I can definitely vouch for both. Especially during the summer :-D

mill0x

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
60%
Oct 21, 2019
Rio de Janeiro
Thanks for the great thread! Looked like a good opportunity to get active.

For me this period has been good in terms of business, and for building health and discipline through routine, and also studying new skills. I've been studying a lot and it feels great to have time for that. Though it feels like my personal life / long term goals are kind of "on pause", I'm doing my best to learn and work as much as I can to prepare for what's ahead.

On the business side, corona has actually been a good opportunity. In my industry (game development) the social isolation measures actually impacted positively. People are playing more games and kids need apps to use at home, so we're seeing a lot more new clients, which gave us a boost in revenue.

We spent last year investing in a good portfolio with different kinds of projects, so we've been able to attract clients especially from the US and Europe, so we get paid in USD/EUR, which is great considering my local currency is very devalued right now, so we're earning more than expected. So it feels good that our work is paying off, even if a lot of bad things are happening.

I've been learning a lot about scaling the team and letting other people assume tasks I usually did myself, give good feedback and keep the quality high. What's on my mind most of the time is how to best to invest our time, energy and money to grow, without losing control of the operations. Trying to use this time in isolation to find a good answer!

Charly

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
May 6, 2020
US
I learned that I don't need as much "things" as I thought. I had too much stuff lying around which I haven't even touched during the last couple of weeks. So I sorted out a lot of it and I just feel lighter. It's a great feeling to get rid of some of your possessions.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I learned that I don't need as much "things" as I thought. I had too much stuff lying around which I haven't even touched during the last couple of weeks. So I sorted out a lot of it and I just feel lighter. It's a great feeling to get rid of some of your possessions.
@Fox has a thread where he’s doing this. Might be worth checking it out and adding your 2c to it.

Johnny boy

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
620%
May 9, 2017
Washington State
It’s been great!

just got a disaster loan of $24,000

people that can’t qualify for unemployment need money and they work very hard for me.

grass still needs cutting, we are doing great!

Bruno Calisso

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
Mar 26, 2019
Portugal
This quarantine gave me precious time to sort out those small projects in wait, old to-do lists and above everything it gave me time to apply some digital minimalism, I got rid of lots of digital baggage that I didn't need and simplified my devices to make sure that I don't waste so much time on them.

The most important thing was the realization that I already suspected, life would be better If I worked just enough time to live free the rest of the year, or at least have more long stops like these to sort my things out. I even started cooking at home and gained some other skills. Could have never done it without this time away from the rat race.

Working just for the sake of working and getting a miserable wage is not an option, MJ is right.

I am young and can't see slaving myself for 40 years straight, no matter how high on the ladder or how much they pay, It'll never be enough to compensate the time I'm giving them.

tolmanmedia

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
404%
Feb 25, 2020
Salt Lake City, Utah
COVID really put me through the 5 stages of grief.

1. Denial and isolation
2. Anger
3. Bargaining
4. Depression
5. Acceptance

Generally in Quarter 1 of every year I will use the bulk of my personal income to plan & pay for all our travel for the entire year (we are usually gone 38-40 weekends out of 51). I had the entire year planned out, and then suddenly WHAM. All my plans were cancelled over the course of a few days. It was absolutely my fault - I should have seen the signs and been more careful.

Seeing my entire year's plans disappear plunged me into a depressed state. I denied that it would go on very long. Then I was angry at the government for doing this. Then I tried to flee to Taiwan (my wife is from there) in exchange for a better life. Then I just got sad and didn't want to leave the house.

When I finally got to the point of acceptance (which took around 5-6 weeks) I set some new goals. I decided to try to make so much money during the quarantine that I could re-book each trip 10x better and more luxuriously than I had before.

I started 5 new businesses since that time, 1 of them has already done over $70k in revenue. I have worked extremely hard to build, build, build while i'm stuck at home.

Now looking back at everything (well, as much as I can. We aren't fully through it yet) I'm actually grateful to the virus. Instead of traveling the world all summer, I started 5 new businesses that will hopefully allow me to "retire" by next year as we sell a few of them off.

Knicks

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
Feb 13, 2018
Germany
After the presentation of @AllenCrawley I decided to migrate my webshop from WooCommerce to Shopify and already seeing a increase of conversions.

And Tiger King obviously.

May I ask what about Shopify is leading to increasing conversions mainly? I'm building a WooCommerce store and also considered giving Shopify a try, but backed away because the implementation for Germany isn't that good yet.

Are you selling in the US exclusively, or also in Europe?

Thanks for your help.

Longinus

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
441%
Aug 28, 2014
Poland / Belgium
May I ask what about Shopify is leading to increasing conversions mainly? I'm building a WooCommerce store and also considered giving Shopify a try, but backed away because the implementation for Germany isn't that good yet.

Are you selling in the US exclusively, or also in Europe?

Thanks for your help.

I sell in US, but it's the same principle: Shopify is way more user friendly for both you and customers. I tried for years with WooCommerce but it just doesn't look as smooth as Shopify. I'd make the move much earlier if I knew this before. If you can afford it, go with Shopify.

tylerwilkinson

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
184%
Sep 25, 2019
Rhode Island
Overall it has been good.

1. Full time work is slower overall, but cars still need fixing. My income has not taken a real hit, and my work related stress level was mostly lower than usual. We are located in an upper middle income area, and more people working from home actually meant they were happier to leave their cars for bigger, more profitable, jobs. We had one kid opt out of work under the guise of "health/fear" because he would make more on unemployment. This is fine because it isn't busy enough to need him. Ideally he has a plan, but that's not my business. Whether or not he comes back is pretty inconsequential. Disclosure: I do not enjoy, nor have any long term attachment to, the field I am in.

2. My side work (trash) has gotten easier because I haven't lost any business, and there's less traffic into the city (Providence is a glorified small town), so I can take care of all the properties quickly AND at a better time of day. This was sweet. I cut my time expense in half. I was nervous about a rent strike causing trouble, that damn "Control" in CENTS is usually pretty solid with college rental being stable (see: subsidized!).

3. Remote work. My wife was on a high risk medication, so she was able to work from home while tapering off it. This was unknown territory, and proved to be a good experiment. Turns out we already had a great office area for her, AND cabin fever did NOT set in. One of those things you don't know until you try. She proved incredible value to the decision makers where she works, and still feels very empowered by knocking down that "do I have the discipline" barrier. This is exciting going forward.

4. I'm an adult in college. My spring course switched to "distance learning" when the colleges shut down. Let's just say the transition worked out in the favor of students. It wasn't a course I cared mush about the content, mainly the grade, and the work load dropped off quickly. Boom, easier A. If I was hoping to learn a lot in that class, I would have been upset.
My summer courses are now ALL from home, and this certainly is preferable for me. As teachers are forced by circumstance to adapt, it is a great time to crush "gen ed" classes. On the side of the classes I'm eager and excited about, I find I still get what I put into it. More so, even, because I've noticed smaller class sizes.

5. Money. My spending hasn't really gone down much, but I like what I've thrown money at. Less going out is great for an introvert/aspie(liberal use of the term, not medical). Rather than eating out, we have a stocked freezer. Rather than a $$$ dinner however many times a week, I have improved my cigar collection. My wife has virtually eliminated most of her spending, and is saving quite a bit. Cash up, debt down! We use a "mine, yours, ours" system with different accounts to preserve autonomy while the bulk of our money goes to the same place.

6. That's enough rambling. In summary it has been fine for me in most ways except "Libertarian Tyler doesn't like being told what to do", even if I don't go out much in the first place!

Knicks

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
Feb 13, 2018
Germany
I sell in US, but it's the same principle: Shopify is way more user friendly for both you and customers. I tried for years with WooCommerce but it just doesn't look as smooth as Shopify. I'd make the move much earlier if I knew this before. If you can afford it, go with Shopify.

Perfect, will definitely try it out in the future. I thought it only got this popular because of all the dropshippers promoting it. But with so many people using it Shopify seems to do it exceptionally right, especially in regard to speed of implementation.

Trevor Kuntz

Professional Dog Owner
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
274%
Feb 5, 2012
Arizona
Second this. Took me 6 years to transition to Shopify from BigCommerce but the difference is night-and-day and BigCommerce was actually more expensive than Shopify.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
I suppose the best thing has been the money that I have saved and haven't spent on any frivolities.

THIS! It is incredible how much cheaper life is from home.

ShamanKing

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
140%
Aug 30, 2018
California
Corona tested the relationship between partners and their children. Sadly, someone out there uses a Job to escape who and what’s at home. Numerous times I hear, GOD Im so tired of my kids. I need a break. They need to open up schools again. IMO majority of humans need to rethink about WHY they are getting married and why they want kids.

Kamillepaulino

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
May 28, 2020
Atlanta, Georgia
I like having the ability to spend time with my family and with myself. To take a break from the outside world/distractions and focus within. I have been reading a lot which is how I cam across The Millionaire Fastlane .

Ritchie.

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
55%
May 2, 2020
Nigeria
I see the quarantine period as a gap year I never had,therefore I am taking the opportunity of developing my self and developing my skillset.

Ing

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
102%
Jun 8, 2019
Bavaria
As my competition in my job stopped working several weeks, I could rise an amount of effective assignments now and for the future.

Sure I had preferred rising my fastline journey, but so May 2020 was my best job earning ever in my life.
Plus: i had time for biking, climbing ..., as the boring meetings faded nearly away completely.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.