The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

What do you do when you have no ideas

Fab89

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
179%
Dec 30, 2017
Uk
I've decided I want to be an entrepreneur but I have no ideas yet.

I feel guilty not spending every free minute of my time researching new ideas or learning to make a website.

Do you think it will burn me out or do you think it's okay to read books and do other stuff too?

I do want to work hard but I have no direction to put my effort into.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Ricky000000

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
400%
Nov 16, 2016
Hello Fab89,

Have you read MJ DeMarco's books?

You only see as far as your headlights. To see what is currently unknown you must begin your journey. MJ's books will open your mind to the endless possibilities and opportunities within our universe. From there you will be closer to your next step.

Fab89

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
179%
Dec 30, 2017
Uk
Hello Fab89,

Have you read MJ DeMarco's books?

You only see as far as your headlights. To see what is currently unknown you must begin your journey. MJ's books will open your mind to the endless possibilities and opportunities within our universe. From there you will be closer to your next step.

I have read both books. So starting anything I can think of and see where it leads me?

D

Deleted52409

If you were thinking of solving other peoples' problems, you'd have thousands of ideas. Just today I can recall 3 random problems I had at the grocery store an hour ago. Here is how you could solve them:

1. If only people who were allergic to peanut butter could taste it for themselves >>> create imitation peanut butter and sell it.

2. If only people were allowed to purchase alcohol on Sundays in Indiana >>> start a liquor store right over the border from where I live in Michigan.

3. If only people didn't have to drive in this horrid frozen weather >>> invent a self driving car and sell it.

Someone is already doing that idea? So what. If you think there is a market for your idea, find a way to do it better than your competition. This concept comes straight from MJ's book. You should read it.

socaldude

Saturn Sedan and PT Cruiser enthusiast.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
212%
Jan 10, 2012
San Diego, CA
Often times opportunity isn't something you go out and "find".

Most of the time it finds the entrepreneur because you see the problem right in your face in experience.

Wouldn't it be better to see the problem first hand?

I highly doubt you haven't experienced any good business opportunities. I see them everyday. I mean, unless you sit at home all day doing nothing.

But to answer your question you basically have to go out and "interact" with the worlds. Get a job, read magazines, follow trends, get out of the house etc.

Do you think it will burn me out or do you think it's okay to read books and do other stuff too?

I think its perfectly fine to be reading books and taking no action. Taking "action" towards success is complicated, it has to be clear, methodical and purposeful, "taking action" in itself is worthless and just mental masturbation. Every bit of knowledge you get builds up your portfolio of knowledge that allows you to have more complex business insights.

I do some things to make money that took me a few years of reading and researching. And during that time I was taking zero action and making no money(Gasp!)

Last edited:

oimate

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
148%
Jul 8, 2015

I feel guilty not spending every free minute of my time researching new ideas or learning to make a website.

Smells like BS/Procrastation to me-I know I'm there but actually out the other side a little bit.
You mention reading books-I was there to and whilst I still do I know that unless I am acting on some of the good stuff im reading I am really only kidding myself and action faking.

You mention feeling guilty (i get that) but really its only your own life your wasting and the upshot is only u can change it so quit the self imposed guilt trip and do something-

Hell look around your house/bedroom and sell something shitty on ebay-Get the process going in your head-From ebay go to gumtree and source something locally and then resell it on ebay or refurbish something and turn a few quid.

Essentially if what you are thinking about is money for now-Do something proactive now-Christ! MJ wont give a shit if you log out now and do something worthwhile-Do on do it now!

PS As well as reading books- another action fake is coming on here-Yes theres some great value to be had but on the same token dont just read mindless shitty threads and think you're achieving something when only if you are acting from something of value are you achieving anything

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
Not making a decision is an action -- a decision to let the forces around you make your decision for you. Study and balance your life. Get your butt out the front door. Try stuff. Explore. Make a new hobby. Take a class. Join a group. Take a walk. Do something. Right now. Start. Don't wait. Every day counts. No one is going to show up at your front door to tell you that they have the perfect job, house and spouse for you! Life is blank canvas where you get to create your life.

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
I can't remember any time, I haven't had any Ideas. I have ideas come all the time. This determines what idea is the one idea that creates the desired outcome you're searching for. There are ideas everywhere you look, and I'm sure you're just not paying attention.

racyred09

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
359%
Nov 28, 2017
USA
Get a journal and start writing down all the problems you encounter throughout the day. Browse reviews for products online and see the problems. I think once you get a bit of momentum going you will just be flooded by ideas! That's how it was for me. Here is an idea you are free to use: make an Alibaba for US and/or other non-Chinese manufacturers. It is such a mess to find them!

SputnicK

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
133%
Dec 23, 2017
Hey @Fab89! I am in the same boat right now. I have plenty of motivation but have not yet developed a clear action plan for how to translate it into value for others. Here are few ideas I wrote down:
1. Sell stuff on eBay
2. Provide a service online for a fee
3. Provide a service IRL
4. Sell a product online
5. Sell a product door to door
6. Buy products and resell for a higher cost
7. Vending machines
8. Sell an app/program for $$$
9. Write an e-book
10. Start a blog and newsletter

mws87

talk less, listen more.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
198%
May 5, 2015
California

Just keep things simple. Don't over-think your situation or you'll end up never getting anything done.

Want to read books and learn? Go read books and learn. Just make sure you're applying the knowledge and not just storing it for no reason. Learning without application or execution can be useless.

If you really want to start finding ideas just learn how to solve problems for people. Once you learn how to ask people the right questions, you'll never run out of ideas. Then you gotta learn to execute ;)

Judicious

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Nov 28, 2017
Los Angeles
Fab89 - Have you read Millionaire Fastlane yet? If not, you definitely should. For example, in one chapter MJ DeMarco points out that you're going to need to become a "producer" of something, in other words, a business owner. He then goes on to break down what he calls the "five money tree seedlings" into rental systems, computer systems, content systems, distribution systems, and human-resource systems. He gives examples of each of these systems, such as being an author of a book or blog falls into the content systems category. He gives some pros and cons of each type of system. If you study this it may help you to narrow down what it is you're interested in pursuing. You can't just say "I want to be an entrepreneur" because that's way, way too broad. Read the books. Good luck.

DrunkFish

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
151%
Mar 25, 2015
Missouri
Just see what people want and do it for them. I'm good at digital marketing after tinkering for so many years so i decided to offer it as a service and people trust my word and pay me for it.

nyc217

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
107%
Jul 7, 2017
New York, NY
I was recently on this stage too up to about 6 months ago.

Think of it as noticing an idea instead of coming up with ideas.

Don’t go at it directly, by saying “what are some millionaire ideas?”

Instead ask, “what are some problems, unsolved needs/wants that I or someone I know experiencing?”

Fab89

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
179%
Dec 30, 2017
Uk
Loads of responses! Thanks people.

I think I was overloading my brain and not doing anything. I need to find solution and a million quid idea isn't going to pop up overnight.

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
If you have no ideas, switch your focus to helping people. Then, go out and help them in whatever way you can. You'd be surprised at what you can find out about people by just being in a position to help.

The important thing is to get in the habit of providing value. Business, at its core, is mutually beneficial generosity. Getting paid by giving something valuable. The more valuable something is, the more you can get paid for it. The more people you help, the more you can get paid.

Just get to helping people, then figure out how you can get paid for it. Once you are able to consistently get paid for helping people, you're in business. Then the fun begins.

GMSI7D

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
Jan 27, 2016
Lyon, France

have you learned something by yourself in life ?

let's say you are good with something , with people's s skills, with hobbies, with music

whatever.

---> many people are waiting for your skills because they haven't yet had the courage to do the same thing in their life .

they were lazy or for any reason they couldn't do the same thing : talking to girls, whatever.

for example : David Angelo was a total failure with women

1) he was angry. he decided to master that dating thing . he went out.

2) he learned skills

3) he built multi millions dollars businesses.

jlwilliams

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
199%
Dec 14, 2014
As counter intuitive as it may sound, try getting a job. Jobs aren't great for getting rich, but they can be great places to look for inefficiencies or to learn new skills. More importantly you won't find a million dollar idea at home. You need to be up and moving. Look for something that will challenge you, make you stretch. Nothing comfortable.

Ninjakid

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
217%
Jun 23, 2014
Buddy Guy Eh
Pick a hobby, work hard at it, and aim to achieve excellence in it. Or multiple hobbies, whichever type you are. Do something that gives you fulfillment, and you'll shift your paradigm from "damn it, if only I could have some ideas" to "I'm winning life and doing something awesome!" You'll find yourself much more creatively inspired by doing the latter.

BeFound Faithful

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
Dec 19, 2015
Southern California

Here are some ways forward you might consider...

I forget who said it, maybe someone else here knows, but the advice is to write down 10 ideas each day whether you use them or not.

Even if they're horrible it doesn't matter, because it's impossible to come up with all bad ideas. There'll be some decent ones mixed in. By doing this, you train yourself to imagine possibilities. Focus on solving a problem people face. Take action on the most promising.

Something else is to create an environment for ideas to grow.

Follow some entrepreneurs on Twitter and something you read could spark ideas.
I try to expose myself to the mindset of at least 4 successful people (value producers) each day in some form or another, fa book I'm reading, a Youtube video, here at FLF, Darren Daily.

With all that said, don't lose sight of taking action.

Act, Assess, Adjust.

jlwilliams

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
199%
Dec 14, 2014
Here are some ways forward you might consider...

I forget who said it, maybe someone else here knows, but the advice is to write down 10 ideas each day whether you use them or not.

Even if they're horrible it doesn't matter, because it's impossible to come up with all bad ideas. There'll be some decent ones mixed in. By doing this, you train yourself to imagine possibilities. Focus on solving a problem people face. Take action on the most promising.

Something else is to create an environment for ideas to grow.

Follow some entrepreneurs on Twitter and something you read could spark ideas.
I try to expose myself to the mindset of at least 4 successful people (value producers) each day in some form or another, fa book I'm reading, a Youtube video, here at FLF, Darren Daily.

With all that said, don't lose sight of taking action.

Act, Assess, Adjust.

I think that was David Altucher?

Cnc1

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
902%
Apr 24, 2018
Read a book, go for a walk, interact with people. Don´t overthink. Ideas won´t come, if you are stressed. Like MJ said, stop chasing the "cat".

Late Bloomer

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
143%
Apr 17, 2018
If you haven't seen Steve Jobs's commencement speech, go watch that on youtube. He described how seemingly pointless, non work related passions in his life, turned out to be important in his career. But, he said, you can only connect the dots going back.

An example is that before he dropped out of college, he took a calligraphy class and loved learning about fancy letters. Who the hell would pay for that artsy-fartsy nonsense? Especially from a guy who wanted to somehow find a way to sell cool technology?

Later, when he learned about graphical computing, he insisted that his company would sell computers that provide a choice of fonts and show them onscreen... an unprecedented idea at the time... that helped the Mac appeal to artists. And it eventually became the industry standard way that of course computers work today. Be a well rounded person as you like. It will only help you have a happy healthy life, and it just might give you the surprising twist in business that nobody else would be able to bring.

There are lots of businesses that do routine, boring things, such as sell chicken parts to restaurants, pick up the trash, process crude oil to gasoline, run discount stores... exciting killer-app ideas huh?... that have made billionaires!

If you're really stuck on ideas, go behind the gas station at SE 35th and Main and there's that dude in the hoodie with the shopping cart, he'll sell ya some ideas... and you really don't want to know where they came from or what truck they "fell off of"... ;-)

D

Deleted20833

start looking into what business model you want to implement

Dropshipping
YouTube
Affiliate marketing
Instagram
Etc.etc.

Go with the ones that fit your personality type
the best

If you're introverted then you'll probably do
better with shopify vs Youtube and vice versa