The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success
  • Join 50,000+ entrepreneurs who are earning their freedom and living their dream.

"Fastlane" is an entrepreneur discussion forum based on The Unscripted Entrepreneurial Framework (TUNEF) outlined in the two best-selling books by MJ DeMarco (The Millionaire Fastlane and UNSCRIPTED™). From multimillionaires to digital nomads, the forum features real entrepreneurs creating real businesses.

Download (Unscripted) Download (Millionaire Fastlane) Register
    Registering for the forum removes this block.

What do you do when you have no ideas

jlwilliams

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
Read Millionaire Fastlane
Dec 14, 2014
Here are some ways forward you might consider...

I forget who said it, maybe someone else here knows, but the advice is to write down 10 ideas each day whether you use them or not.

Even if they're horrible it doesn't matter, because it's impossible to come up with all bad ideas. There'll be some decent ones mixed in. By doing this, you train yourself to imagine possibilities. Focus on solving a problem people face. Take action on the most promising.

Something else is to create an environment for ideas to grow.

Follow some entrepreneurs on Twitter and something you read could spark ideas.
I try to expose myself to the mindset of at least 4 successful people (value producers) each day in some form or another, fa book I'm reading, a Youtube video, here at FLF, Darren Daily.

With all that said, don't lose sight of taking action.

Act, Assess, Adjust.
I think that was David Altucher?

Late Bloomer

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
Apr 17, 2018
If you haven't seen Steve Jobs's commencement speech, go watch that on youtube. He described how seemingly pointless, non work related passions in his life, turned out to be important in his career. But, he said, you can only connect the dots going back.

An example is that before he dropped out of college, he took a calligraphy class and loved learning about fancy letters. Who the hell would pay for that artsy-fartsy nonsense? Especially from a guy who wanted to somehow find a way to sell cool technology?

Later, when he learned about graphical computing, he insisted that his company would sell computers that provide a choice of fonts and show them onscreen... an unprecedented idea at the time... that helped the Mac appeal to artists. And it eventually became the industry standard way that of course computers work today. Be a well rounded person as you like. It will only help you have a happy healthy life, and it just might give you the surprising twist in business that nobody else would be able to bring.

There are lots of businesses that do routine, boring things, such as sell chicken parts to restaurants, pick up the trash, process crude oil to gasoline, run discount stores... exciting killer-app ideas huh?... that have made billionaires!

If you're really stuck on ideas, go behind the gas station at SE 35th and Main and there's that dude in the hoodie with the shopping cart, he'll sell ya some ideas... and you really don't want to know where they came from or what truck they "fell off of"... ;-)

HugoMoreno

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
Jan 7, 2014
Fresno,CA
start looking into what business model you want to implement

Dropshipping
YouTube
Affiliate marketing
Instagram
Etc.etc.

Go with the ones that fit your personality type
the best

If you're introverted then you'll probably do
better with shopify vs Youtube and vice versa

Once you pick a business model that you like

Start studying how it works and what successful
people do to make it successful and get to work
on that

NadiaZ

Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Mar 27, 2018
Kansas City
I've decided I want to be an entrepreneur but I have no ideas yet.

I feel guilty not spending every free minute of my time researching new ideas or learning to make a website.

Do you think it will burn me out or do you think it's okay to read books and do other stuff too?

I do want to work hard but I have no direction to put my effort into.
Get a job. You'll find tons of problems and find things you're pissed off about when you're working which you wish were easier but aren't.

Also, start talking to people. Listen and jot down their complaints. Helps a lot!

Late Bloomer

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
Apr 17, 2018
Jobs aren't great for getting rich, but they can be great places to look for inefficiencies or to learn new skills.
Very true! I had a mediocre job at a chain restaurant for a while. Noticed some things that Corporate provided them for marketing & operational technology, and started to ask just now... could I bring those same ideas to some Mom & Pop shops? I just started a Speedway thread on the topic.

Nannan

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Oct 9, 2016
I go out and run. By taking a break from working or researching, and getting my blood pumping, it really gives my brain the time to process everything in the background. After taking a shower, I get new questions to ask and ideas to validate.

ay47

Contributor
Mar 29, 2018
Do you really have no ideas or are u rejecting every idea because someone has done it? (in my opinion, it's usually the latter).

If you have an idea, but someone has already done it. Explore it further. What are they weak in? Are there things you can improve on their service / product?

Last edited:

Genka

New Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Oct 6, 2015
Turku, Finland
I do it in reverse. I think what I want to get and then see what options there are to get there.

The goal has to be well defined though, like 1 million in 2 years.

MJ DeMarco

Raving Lunatic
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Jul 23, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
getUnscripted.com
I've decided I want to be an entrepreneur but I have no ideas yet.
Then admit your mind is not right.

Until the world is perfect, ideas will be everywhere.

I see too many ideas and that's because my senses are tuned to see inefficiency and imperfections.

AlessioLC

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Jul 19, 2017
France
There's ideas everywhere, literally, take something actually existing and see if you can improve it.
Look at things already existing and ask yourself if it can be use in an other industry in an other form or something like this.

There's ideas everywhere, i come across many every weeks, some are not worth the hustle (you got one life, if it has to take 10y of your life, do it wisely) so then you put them aside.

Some are very huge, talking about having to bring investor to put it up running, but they are sometime the more profitable and the entry is high > don't be afraid of these, they are the one you must seek IF it's what you want.

Look at what people you don't have to be genius, learn from others, look at what they've done, see if you can copy/improve their ideas.

Siberia

Surprise
Speedway Pass
Apr 30, 2016
Siberia
Just see what people want and do it for them. I'm good at digital marketing after tinkering for so many years so i decided to offer it as a service and people trust my word and pay me for it.
To see what people want and do it for them .... first our friend should decide what he wants to be and become it.

There is no driver on this journey.

Dear Fab89, decide to leave and leave, everything else you find walking along.

Opportunities multiply as they are picked up.

Here is the winning idea ..... becomes an opportunities hunter.

IGP

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Aug 24, 2015
People like to bitch and complain; would you agree?

Start listening... eventually someone will bitch about a real problem that perhaps you are able to solve.

Siddhartha

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Mar 30, 2019
Necro'ing this thread;

James Altucher's daily practice has really helped me; sitting with my black book in front of me with free license to put down anything that would improve anyone's life by even a modicum until I hit at least 10 ideas before the pen has to go down really gets the juices going.
There's a huge block when trying to just put something out that would satisfy SCENTS/TUNEF immediately; but as I've seen here with others, it's relatively easier to come up with a semi-decent idea and keep re-engineering and targeting until it becomes something worthwhile.

FORUM SPONSOR

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Post thread…

Search the Forum

New Topics

FASTLANE INSIDERS

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Monthly conference calls with doers
Ideas needing execution, more!