The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

What did you study at university and what do you do now?

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Finance. Hated it. Stayed at college another year and got a marketing degree, which was more business related.

My college didn't offer entrepreneurial studies.

A

Anon3x156

Finance. Hated it. Stayed at college another year and got a marketing degree, which was more business related.

Do you think college is necessary for marketing? And how would you learn marketing if you could go back and start from scratch?

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Maths. Hated college. I scraped through by the skin of my teeth and it took years to get over the experience.

Fell into IT, then fell into Google Ads.

No, you don't need to study marketing to do it. Find someone who needs help and go help 'em.

You're goal isn't to learn. It's to help people and get paid.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

YanC

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
Sep 18, 2017
France
Graduated as an industrial engineer. That part of my life lasted only two years though. I run a real estate business now (short term rental), and looking for something else to start.

Devilery

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
194%
Feb 11, 2019
Hospitality & Tourism because I wanted to become a tour guide and travel the world. Turns out, I just had to figure out how to make money online, and I can travel whenever, wherever, so I'm a copywriter/#funnelhacker.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
Management and Economics double major.

Could have been a quad major though with one more credit. “Entrepreneurial Finance” could have gotten me finance and entrepreneurship. It was a tough class and I decided just to have an easy last semester and be done.

Today:
I own a business in the industrial space. Mostly chemicals, but we are marking moves to enter the building materials market.

I have also a radio show that discusses entrepreneurship, leadership, and economics.

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
457%
Mar 15, 2018
Studied: Finance

Doing today: Real estate development

Formal education will make you a living, self education will make you a fortune.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Do you think college is necessary for marketing? And how would you learn marketing if you could go back and start from scratch?

Absolutely not. More knowledge could be ascertained by buying a few books on the matter. Furthermore, marketing was a pretty stable and fixed field before the internet, now it is widely dynamic, and constantly changing. The web has made marketing a dynamic craft with strategies constantly changing in flux.

Peter Abrahamian

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
104%
Dec 22, 2020

Is there any college that actually helps with entrepreneurship? There's literally a minor at UCLA called "entrepreneurship" and I've heard that all they learn is theories and other information that is not practical in a real-life scenario.

Happyheart

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
147%
Dec 11, 2020
Studied medicine.
Now working as a professor, but make money with online and offline education.
Helping people is great, but working night and weekend shifts is not something that combines well with a family and private life.

TryHardTriad

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
253%
Oct 2, 2018
Wow, how did that happen?
It happened by instinct as I always had more interest in making money that scales and is not tied to my time. If you spend your free time at uni reading about entrepreneurship than your degree. That’s another good sign!

When it came down to practicing dentistry for 4 years, I was often bored by the repetition and never fit in the community.

The constant challenge and variation as an entrepreneur is a lot more thrilling and financially rewarding. Hopefully making my old annual dental salary in a month soon if a few deals go my way.

However, I don’t regret doing uni first. I was in no way mature enough for entrepreneurship and needed a normal job until I was ready. Lot of lessons I learnt that made me ready for the jump.

Panos Daras

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
146%
Oct 10, 2022
Finance and hated it also. Masters in management and administration. Now I am a project manager in FInance and I am bored to death.

fastlane_dad

8 Figure Fastlane Graduate
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
637%
Jun 20, 2017
Scottsdale, AZ
UNDERGRAD / GRAD DEGREES IN : CHEMICAL ENGINEERING AND MATERIALS SCIENCE.

Sincerely ENJOYED / loved both majors.

They were challenging. Taught me how to think WELL through many problems. Met a lot of good, smart, hardworking people (engineering school / and that line of work typically attracts a decent crowd). Went to 'low priced' state schools, so didn't blow sh*t tons of money on out of state / expensive education.

Both of these majors also PAID A GREAT slowlane salary (if one goes the job route) - that I knew would give me a leg up and room to breathe a bit once I got out of school (and further invest/focus on my fastlane business).

And I was actually making GREAT MONEY before I decided to QUIT for good, 15+ years back.

I only lasted about 2 YEARS in my full time job.

Currently a semi-retired entrepreneur, investor and full time dad - sharing all that I've learned over the last 20+ years of running and selling an 8 figure business with @NeoDialectic

Last edited:

Consolation

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
181%
Sep 6, 2017
Malaysia
I went to trade school after compulsory secondary education. Took Computer Hardware and Networking. Always at the top of the class. I made two of my course mates beat me in the exams due to boredom and gratitude for the ride home of which they provided.

Now, I do digital marketing (websites, SEO, copywriting, etc). The school didn't teach me that. Larry Page and Sergey Brin did.

OutofPoverty

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
308%
Jul 4, 2018
I attended college from 2016-2017. I flip flop between different majors during that time frame.

• Finance
  • Information Systems
  • Back to finance
  • Then finally industrial engineering.
I dropped out because I lost my full ride scholarship to school, and I did not want to take out student loans.

From August 2019 to January 2020, I studied Cyber Security at a community college.

Now, I do DevOps engineer/IT Analyst work. I've been doing this for two years now.
If interested, I provide more context here: MINDSET - From low wage jobs to a Junior DevOps Engineer at a Fortunate 100 company within a few years: My journey

stingz

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Feb 7, 2023
Like it says in the title, please tell me what you studied at university and what you do now.
I'm curious.
I studied Financial Services and hated it, became an Accountant and hated it, now working as a professional gambler/trader and hating it...I NEED to make a change and fast!!

REV5028

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
276%
Oct 29, 2022
New Mexico
Undergrad: Physics
MS & PhD: Geophysics

Currently working my way out of a scam, I mean postdoc position.
I'm expecting to be in a 9-to-5 situation for 3-5 more years to support myself while I work on starting entrepreneurial pursuits. First up, a podcast and book. Haven't decided on what to do after that, though I have a few ideas.

it took years to get over the experience.
I'm about 9 months out of school and I still feel like a student. I'm expecting to also take years to get over my PhD experience. I'm sorry your academic experience was traumatic, but I'm so glad you overcame it. You and your story inspire me and give me hope that I can and will get through this.

Is there any college that actually helps with entrepreneurship?
Yes. Through my degrees I've learned how to communicate, write, conduct research, think critically and ask questions, network, be resourceful, manage time, prioritize tasks, be organized, how to code, how to teach myself, how to fail, and how to persevere when all I want to do is rage quit.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Is there any college that actually helps with entrepreneurship? There's literally a minor at UCLA called "entrepreneurship" and I've heard that all they learn is theories and other information that is not practical in a real-life scenario.
I doubt it, unless you engage the market and try to get paid serving it, then try to scale.

Ayan115

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
33%
Nov 15, 2023
Absolutely not. More knowledge could be ascertained by buying a few books on the matter. Furthermore, marketing was a pretty stable and fixed field before the internet, now it is widely dynamic, and constantly changing. The web has made marketing a dynamic craft with strategies constantly changing in flux.
College might not be necessary , but it is important to know that you need to have credentials in that field with a
cv for recruitment and some technical expertise. Companies cannot recruit any random idiot from the street to do marketing stuff

Vntonio

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
108%
Aug 18, 2023
Earth
Horticultural engineering, now having a vegetable farm. But not because I liked any agricultural sciences, it just happens to work for now while no other plans worked.

MichaelKove

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Feb 19, 2019
Szczecin, PL
I went to OSU (The Ohio State University) and studied computer science (first 2 years), then business (1 year) then I dropped out.

I did end up going into IT, worked as OPS for 3 years until getting laid off. Then had a few failed startups with my friends and eventually picked up path of Freelancing. Have been doing that for 17+ years (programmer/developer/web dev)

I hate trading time for money and most of freelance work is hourly. I tried starting an agency few times in my life but realised managing a team (of developers) isn't something I enjoy.

Vntonio

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
108%
Aug 18, 2023
Earth
I went to OSU (The Ohio State University) and studied computer science (first 2 years), then business (1 year) then I dropped out.

I did end up going into IT, worked as OPS for 3 years until getting laid off. Then had a few failed startups with my friends and eventually picked up path of Freelancing. Have been doing that for 17+ years (programmer/developer/web dev)

I hate trading time for money and most of freelance work is hourly. I tried starting an agency few times in my life but realised managing a team (of developers) isn't something I enjoy.
So what's your plan to escape the hell of trading your time? Still in IT or switching to something else?

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.