The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

What book are you reading? Right now. Post up!

Silverhawk851

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
482%
Sep 22, 2012
Toronto/Traveling
Psycho-Cybernetics by Dr. Maxwell Maltz.

Highly Recommended.

What am Amazing piece of work. Dr.Maltz was a Plastic Surgeon who realized that changing people faces often changed personalities and often did not. Devoting himself to finding an answer, he realized many things and in the book Teaches you the concept of the self-image and how to achieve the goals you set for yourself.

For once, it's a way to beat the fluctuating motivation levels that so many of us entrepreneurs see. Teaches you to master them and keep it at a constant. Very Powerful stuff.

I really get the tinge that Tony Robbins and others have derived a lot from this man.

Cheers.

RBefort

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
53%
Sep 14, 2012
Tony Robbins Awaken the Giant, I believe....from MJ's list :) Very long book and a lot of concepts to remember, but I find myself going back to them and rehearsing them throughout the day.

EastWind

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
34%
Oct 31, 2009
USA
I have found the greatest delight reading about philosophy lately more so than any financial and technical book.

i just finished reading "the education of the will" by jules payot, it's free, google it.
i'm currently reading meditation of marcus aurelius.
i also have another general intro to philosophy book and the dialogues of platos.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Likwid24

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
295%
Mar 26, 2011
Staten Island, NY
Reading "The Definitive Book of Body Language" by Alan and Barbara Pease. I want to learn how to read people better. Good book so far.

CEBenz

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
29%
Apr 16, 2011
Tacoma, Wa
Medici Money: Banking, Metaphysics and Art in Fifteenth-Century Florence by Tim Parks.

That sounds interesting. I'll add it it to my to read list. Waiting on Ca$hvertising to arrive along with Style:Lessons in clarity and grace

GoldRider

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
29%
Dec 4, 2012
Tony Robbins Awaken the Giant, I believe....from MJ's list :) Very long book and a lot of concepts to remember, but I find myself going back to them and rehearsing them throughout the day.

What have you got out of it? I hear a lot about Tony robbins that he is a feel good person only. I want to know if there is something practical in his book.

GoldRider

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
29%
Dec 4, 2012
I read about this one here (can't recall who recommended it) and I bought it a couple of days ago.
The Power of Habit: Why We Do What We Do in Life and Business
The Power of Habit: Why We Do What We Do in Life and Business: Charles Duhigg: Amazon.com: Kindle Store

Reviews say that it only explains how habits are formed but doesn't give any practical step to delete and form new habits. Can you kindly post your own review. I believe there must be a review section on this forum related to books.

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
There are steps. Very clear to me. No magic pill, you have to follow the steps and they are challenging at a very personal level. Or that's what I got out of it.

Following this advice I switched diets and lost 11 lbs in 3 weeks. And still working on it.

Bad food habits were tough to break for me but I followed this advice and it worked.

Michael Ten

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
58%
Jan 14, 2013
Earth
Pretty much read A Course In Miracles and books by Thomas Szasz non-stop. I am also reading the book that this forum is based on, and others. :tiphat:

Ginger

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
4%
May 19, 2012
How is it?

I think it's great...It talks about Value creation & delivery, the difference between marketing & sales, the human mind, creating prototypes, a lot of things. The author basically wants you to start with his book, and he directs you to like 19 other books that he insists that if you read all of them that you will have the knowledge of a MBA graduate. He doesn't have a MBA, but he did go to business school, and worked on major campaigns at Proctor & Gamble.

RalphQ

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
440%
Feb 1, 2013
Miami, FL
I'm on a 3-Book Diet this year! This is an interesting concept that I learned about this from Chris Brogan. Rather than read a ton of books and get just a little out of all of them. I am going to read, and re-read 3 books all year, master the concepts and apply them to my business.

Here's my list:

- Start With Why? How Great Leaders Inspire Everyone To Take Action by Simon Sinek
- Think & Grow Rich by Napoleon Hill
- This Might Not Work by Seth Godin (aka - Watcha Gonna Do With That Duck?)

CEBenz

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
29%
Apr 16, 2011
Tacoma, Wa
I think it's great...It talks about Value creation & delivery, the difference between marketing & sales, the human mind, creating prototypes, a lot of things. The author basically wants you to start with his book, and he's directs you to like 19 other books that he insists that if you read all of them that you will have the knowledge of a MBA graduate. He doesn't have a MBA, but he did go to business school, and worked on major campaigns at Proctor & Gamble.

Hmmm I'll have to take a look.

CEBenz

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
29%
Apr 16, 2011
Tacoma, Wa
I'm on a 3-Book Diet this year! This is an interesting concept that I learned about this from Chris Brogan. Rather than read a ton of books and get just a little out of all of them. I am going to read, and re-read 3 books all year, master the concepts and apply them to my business.

Here's my list:

- Start With Why? How Great Leaders Inspire Everyone To Take Action by Simon Sinek
- Think & Grow Rich by Napoleon Hill
- This Might Not Work by Seth Godin (aka - Watcha Gonna Do With That Duck?)

Think and Grow Rich is a tough one. Pretty dry.

buckmajor

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
4%
Apr 28, 2009
Brisbane, Australia
Reading the books that was recommended from The FL-Forum:
- One Simple Idea by Stephen Key
- Delivering Happiness by Tony Hsieh
So far, both books are exciting. Loving Delivering Happiness. However, One Simple Idea talks about Ideas, royalty, and licensing. Anyone read this book before? It sounds like Stephen rented some of his ideas out and made money. Still reading it so will know by the end of it. Been watching Shark Tank so I kind of know a little bit how licensing or royalty works lol. Anyone here have a different feedback?

brob742

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
165%
Jan 18, 2012
Albuquerque, NM
Re-reading some chapters of Mark Cuban's book. It's very practical and he's a very straight-forward dude, as I'm sure most of you know. Love his analogy of business being the ultimate game/competition that is going on 24/7/365.

Also, very interesting to see the process that eventually resulted in many, many events.

Vick

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
485%
Dec 27, 2012
Toronto
Blue Ocean Strategy

Big Daddyhoo

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
59%
Oct 21, 2012
Just finished reading The Wizard of Ads: Turning Words into Magic And Dreamers into Millionaires.

It circles around 3 themes: 1. Advertising psychology (how customers mind works when reading an ad) 2. Good service and customer experience and 3. Personal qualities, success and motivational stuff.

It's 101 chapters 0.5-2 pages long. Quick read. Heavily theoretical. Not really organized, so expect to read all of it and take notes.

Probably a 4-star book. Not bad, not awesome. I expect to come back to the first part for some advertising insights.

If interested, it's available for free on the author's website with 2 other books in the series (havent read those yet). PDFs and audiobooks.

Next to-read: Ogilvy on Advertising

sambreaker20

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
49%
Apr 4, 2011
What have you got out of it? I hear a lot about Tony robbins that he is a feel good person only. I want to know if there is something practical in his book.

You have to read and watch his stuff to know he's not just about feel good. He has some really good stuff.

Anyways, trying to finish

Secrets of Question Based Selling: How the Most Powerful Tool in Business Can Double Your Sales Results - Tom Freese
trying to start a new earth by eckhart tolle
and waiting for 4 Hour Body - Tim Ferris and The money code to arrive.

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
I agree about Tony Robbins. He is just not feel good stuff. I have found great ideas of things to do daily to improve. For example, establish a numeric value of how you feel right now and then ask yourself, what would it take for me to feel better? And them go do that. Simple but effective.

Problem is, lots of us read it, think iti s either too stupid or too obvious, don't follow the recommended action, and then disregard the book as not practical.

Ginger

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
4%
May 19, 2012
Fiction: Atlas Shrugged - can't believe I've never read this book before. It's like reading the newspaper nowadays!

And I usually have a non-fiction book running at the same time, but not this time. Atlas Shrugged is real enough!

When I first got into reading, Atlas Shrugged was my first book...Unfortunately, I only read like 200 pages lol But I enjoyed it...I just ran across it yesterday, I think I'm a crack it open again...Hey, there was an essay contest for Atlas Shrugged...If I remember correctly, the 1st place prize was like $10,000...

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.