The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Ways to Manage Burn Out?

DougRMR

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
121%
Apr 19, 2019
Hey guys.

I've been working a lot this past year and and still am in 2022. Hold a part time job, have a girlfriend, do web design on the side, play/record music, read, have friends/family, do chores/errands/commute and am also in the works for my fastlane business.

But I'm beat, man. I haven't been sleeping much these past weeks because I stay late into the night doing stuff. Almost had a panic attack a few weeks back as well. Do you guys have any suggestions? Maybe sleep is the missing ingredient but if I sleep there's stuff I won't get done and I'll be too wired to sleep lol that's not even mentioning the fact I'm not even going to the gym and dieting yet. I like being busy, in a way, but if I can just cut the soul sucking part time job (which is why I'm designing websites in the first place) I think I'd free up a lot of time to relax and take a breather.

Should I cut off some stuff? Or simply allocate my time for certain things? Allocate half the week to web design and then the next week to the fastlane stuff? I'm trying to treat web design as a fastlane venture, btw, almost as practice but still. Any help would be appreciated, guys.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Speed112

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
284%
Dec 5, 2013
Over here, over there.
Hey guys.

I've been working a lot this past year and and still am in 2022. Hold a part time job, have a girlfriend, do web design on the side, play/record music, read, have friends/family, do chores/errands/commute and am also in the works for my fastlane business.

But I'm beat, man. I haven't been sleeping much these past weeks because I stay late into the night doing stuff. Almost had a panic attack a few weeks back as well. Do you guys have any suggestions? Maybe sleep is the missing ingredient but if I sleep there's stuff I won't get done and I'll be too wired to sleep lol that's not even mentioning the fact I'm not even going to the gym and dieting yet. I like being busy, in a way, but if I can just cut the soul sucking part time job (which is why I'm designing websites in the first place) I think I'd free up a lot of time to relax and take a breather.

Should I cut off some stuff? Or simply allocate my time for certain things? Allocate half the week to web design and then the next week to the fastlane stuff? I'm trying to treat web design as a fastlane venture, btw, almost as practice but still. Any help would be appreciated, guys.

Sleep is the #1 priority, man. Don't skimp on it. You can probably run on fumes for a while but at one point you'll run out of juice and that's it. There's no recovering from there. All your hustling and all your other sacrifices will lead to nothing because you're too exhausted to keep things going anymore.

Sleep first. Eat better. Exercise. And then you'll be more productive during the day and get more things done even if you have a shorter timeframe.

"If I sleep there's stuff I won't get done." Nah... if you don't sleep there's stuff you'll get done poorly and have to redo or it'll take longer and it's just not worth it. We're not all Arnold Schwarzenegger or whomever maintaining high performance on 5 hours of sleep every night.

If time is an issue, then yeah focusing 2 days on one thing, 2 days on another, 2 days on another is important. If you try to do everything at once you get stuck context-switching all the time and wasting that time adjusting to the new activity.

Plan your week if you can, plan your day in the morning, organize your priorities, and take things one at a time. Try to maximize the high impact activities and minimize the time sinks and you'll feel like you're finally getting things done without having to sacrifice your health.

And don't overdo it. It's not worth slowly killing yourself for anything. You can overwork and get your business going in 6 months. Or you can keep yourself healthy and get it going in 12 months. 2 years from now you'll still have a decent business, but in one world you'll continue being "beat" while in the other you'll be happily enjoying your life.

If you need a breather. Take it. Working too much actually lowers your average productivity in the long-run. If you're getting panic attacks and your body is telling you that you need a break, listen to it. Take your girlfriend out for a weekend somewhere. Forget about all the stress that's keeping you up at night. Chill. Then return with a fresh mind and body ready to realize your vision.

Some people do that every week. That's what weekends are for.

Jobless

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
141%
Jun 8, 2017
EU
Yes, you are doing too many things. What do you really want to prioritize?

Secondly, consider Parkinson's Law: "work expands so as to fill the time available for its completion."

Give yourself less time to do things certain tasks, to force you to complete them more efficiently, the reward being that you may then relax.

Raskidon

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Dec 30, 2021
Sleep is the #1 priority, man. Don't skimp on it. You can probably run on fumes for a while but at one point you'll run out of juice and that's it. There's no recovering from there. All your hustling and all your other sacrifices will lead to nothing because you're too exhausted to keep things going anymore.

Sleep first. Eat better. Exercise. And then you'll be more productive during the day and get more things done even if you have a shorter timeframe.

"If I sleep there's stuff I won't get done." Nah... if you don't sleep there's stuff you'll get done poorly and have to redo or it'll take longer and it's just not worth it. We're not all Arnold Schwarzenegger or whomever maintaining high performance on 5 hours of sleep every night.

If time is an issue, then yeah focusing 2 days on one thing, 2 days on another, 2 days on another is important. If you try to do everything at once you get stuck context-switching all the time and wasting that time adjusting to the new activity.

Plan your week if you can, plan your day in the morning, organize your priorities, and take things one at a time. Try to maximize the high impact activities and minimize the time sinks and you'll feel like you're finally getting things done without having to sacrifice your health.

And don't overdo it. It's not worth slowly killing yourself for anything. You can overwork and get your business going in 6 months. Or you can keep yourself healthy and get it going in 12 months. 2 years from now you'll still have a decent business, but in one world you'll continue being "beat" while in the other you'll be happily enjoying your life.

If you need a breather. Take it. Working too much actually lowers your average productivity in the long-run. If you're getting panic attacks and your body is telling you that you need a break, listen to it. Take your girlfriend out for a weekend somewhere. Forget about all the stress that's keeping you up at night. Chill. Then return with a fresh mind and body ready to realize your vision.

Some people do that every week. That's what weekends are for.
Thanks, I just learnt a lot from these. Especially Dividing your week for some works if you multi-task.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

peddletothemetal

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
149%
Apr 5, 2021
Doing too many things. Focus is key. Drop what you can drop and focus on what has the highest chance of success.

SaasPassion

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
60%
Jan 21, 2022
It is important to manage time in a way that gives room even for just doing nothing, or messing with non-productive things.

I recently started dividing my day into 4 parts:
1. Important and non-urgent things
2. Important and urgent things
3. Unimportant and non-urgent things
4. Unimportant and urgent things

I keep track of how much time I devote to each of them through a habits app, and I also track sleep time.
It helps me to be more relaxed when I decide to do unimportant things because I know it's in control.
And so I am more satisfied and refreshed when I deal with the important things as well.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.