The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Video SUCS

Topics relating to managing people and relationships

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Superior Unexpected Customer Service (SUCS)

As far as I'm concerned "Business is about building relationships."

I've been sending a manual email to everyone who signed up to my course, and to all the buyers - that's over 150 emails by hand!

Except as Gary V says "Marketers ruin everything" - it's nigh on freaking impossible to send an email that looks like it's been done manually.

Enter Bonjouro.com.

I signed up and can create quick videos on my phone and send them to people who purchased my course.

Two sent so far and two people gobsmacked that I'd send them a personal video.

yvKmy7Y.png

Do it, you won't regret it.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

greenGabbard

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
114%
Oct 13, 2017
Fresno, Ca
gobsmacked I was. Awesome to see content creators actually value relationships and interaction with their students/clients.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
@FiftySeven ... did you send wee video messages to people who bought your product?

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
@johnp ... you going to send a bonjouro to your first customer?

The Abundant Man

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Jul 3, 2018
This is awesome! Makes it more personal. Thus giving more value to your customers.

Customer:"It's not some anonymous guy. It's an actual person and he took the time to send a personal video. Shows that he actually cares."

LittleWolfie

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
56%
Jun 28, 2018
Holbeach Hurn
Wow, this hpwnthe other half lives is very interesting and it explains why I get a better echo from Germany

Personally If I want a relationship, I'd go to match.com or plentyofffish. I want to exchange money for goods and or service.

I'm much happier with a faceless corporation who can be checked against government regulation, than a video of someone.

If a supplier wants to have a relationship with me then they can offer their goods for free. In fact I would pay more to avoid a relationship. Cross selling and upwelling based on financial history is fine. I love emails that begin dear valued customers too, at least I know my name is not being used for marketing purposes.

If I valued relationships, I wouldn't use a supermarket. I love online and self checkout where no one asks how your day is going.

therealmark

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
254%
Dec 27, 2017
Spokane WA
Thanks @Andy Black! I had found this service a couple months ago and could not remember the name nor find it on google.

I want to use it to personally thank clients when we complete a web project.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Wow, this hpwnthe other half lives is very interesting and it explains why I get a better echo from Germany

Personally If I want a relationship, I'd go to match.com or plentyofffish. I want to exchange money for goods and or service.

I'm much happier with a faceless corporation who can be checked against government regulation, than a video of someone.

If a supplier wants to have a relationship with me then they can offer their goods for free. In fact I would pay more to avoid a relationship. Cross selling and upwelling based on financial history is fine. I love emails that begin dear valued customers too, at least I know my name is not being used for marketing purposes.

If I valued relationships, I wouldn't use a supermarket. I love online and self checkout where no one asks how your day is going.
How have your customers reacted to a personal message thanking them for their custom?

Also... I thanked you with a PM for following me and we ended up having a long conversation. Curious what that meant to you.

LittleWolfie

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
56%
Jun 28, 2018
Holbeach Hurn
Well in my case potential customers.

In the case of the Germans wither ignored or sent unsubscribe back.

Regarding the PM, I liked the exchange of ideas. I liked a PM much better than a video and I'm on the forum because I want to exchange ideas and share actions.

I certainly highly value your instruction,however I'm not your customer. Building relationships on a forum with people is one thing. I'm highly depraved, I like to go to work to do my job, nor to make friends, if I want to make friends I go out to make friends, if that makes sense. So the same with suppliers.

Obviously you have to work with what the customers want, however wirh a supplier your the customer, so you can choose the grumpyist supplier if you want to do so.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Well in my case potential customers.

In the case of the Germans wither ignored or sent unsubscribe back.

Regarding the PM, I liked the exchange of ideas. I liked a PM much better than a video and I'm on the forum because I want to exchange ideas and share actions.

I certainly highly value your instruction,however I'm not your customer. Building relationships on a forum with people is one thing. I'm highly depraved, I like to go to work to do my job, nor to make friends, if I want to make friends I go out to make friends, if that makes sense. So the same with suppliers.

Obviously you have to work with what the customers want, however wirh a supplier your the customer, so you can choose the grumpyist supplier if you want to do so.
You’re not my customer in that money didn’t change hands.

Me PM’ing everyone who follows me helps me figure out what people are stuck on, and why.

The people who reply back and have a conversation are the hyper-responsives.

They’re the ones most frustrated, and the ones most likely to buy if I could provide a solution.

I don’t PM folks who haven’t already raised their hand though. I only PM folks who follow or rep me, and that’s to give thanks and see how they’re doing. If a conversation ensues then great. If one doesn’t then great as well.

I’m not trying to make friends. I’m trying to help folks, and figure out what types of problems I encounter most often and how to solve them.

LittleWolfie

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
56%
Jun 28, 2018
Holbeach Hurn
I’m not trying to make friends. I’m trying to help folks, and figure out what types of problems I encounter most often and how to solve them.

So why do you not ask what problems people are having? Like the guy who posted on here recently with his new startup course,and was looking for problems.

I personally love that style, direct and to the point, I respond to that way better than "how are things". Although I've tried your same approach, and I don't get a response.

I suspect there is something about me (perhaps my direct style) or maybe my tone that puts people off.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
So why do you not ask what problems people are having? Like the guy who posted on here recently with his new startup course,and was looking for problems.

I personally love that style, direct and to the point, I respond to that way better than "how are things". Although I've tried your same approach, and I don't get a response.

I suspect there is something about me (perhaps my direct style) or maybe my tone that puts people off.
I think it's a bit odd in your first message to someone to ask what problems they're having. That's not normal. "How're things going?" is my normal hello.

Also... I'm just chatting and looking for opportunities to help. I'm not trying to do "idea extraction" to build a business.

That's what I'm trying to get at. I'm just saying hello, but letting people know it's me saying hello and not an automated email response.

The question is open ended. People can say "I'm good thanks. How are you?" which is fine.

They can (and do) say: "I'm new to the forum and a bit overwhelmed." In which case I point them to the first link in my signature.

Or they say: "I liked your posts on AdWords and have been thinking of running them for my cleaning business." In which case I can point them to my "local lead gen" thread in my signature.

My signature is evolving based on what I point people to regularly.

The content I create to help people is based on what I keep repeating when I chat with people.

When you meet someone IRL, how does that go?

I say "How's it going?". That's my hello. Conversations often come out of it. I have a great time chatting to people, and I learn loads, and I build relationships. Obviously it's also how I'm wired, and that's what works for me. I don't think it's too hard to try and replicate either.

A couple of threads that might explain this further:

A chat I had with someone for the first time is here:

Maybe.

Have you read this one?

A quick glance at your profile and I see 527 messages and 277 Likes. You can argue that they're only numbers, but does that ratio mean anything?

Even your comment earlier was a little "closed". You disagree with something I'm doing or talking about in this thread. It doesn't work for you, except it did because we chatted for 22 messages.

A friendly suggestion is to think about how it could work for you. What's the parts that work that you could use? Think also about how it could work, instead of just how it couldn't work.

(BTW... I found it a valuable comment to show there's other ways people can view things.)

Something to mull over:

I'm not chasing likes, they just seem to come.

I'm no chasing business either, and that just seems to come too.

Is it related?

(And no, I'm not saying what I'm doing is the best way, the only way, or even the best way for me. I just saying it's something to try or consider trying.)

LittleWolfie

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
56%
Jun 28, 2018
Holbeach Hurn
Also... I'm just chatting and looking for opportunities to help.
That is idea extraction though. Step 1 find problems that people want solving (or an opportunity for you to help)

From my position, either I'm misunderstanding or your being dishonest (if not to your customers, then to yourself about what your doing) If you found a chance to help someone with your business model (or perhaps adjacent to it) would you offer to sell them the service? If the answer is yes, then it seems like you are doing idea extraction.

I'm just saying hello
Then why not just say "Hello". That says hello, since your not idea extracting you don't need to say anything else, do you? Hello gets the job done.

letting people know it's me saying hello and not an automated email response,

Okay, I think I'm kind of getting at your point here. However how do I know that is really you and not some one you hired of fiverr to do the job for you? if the goal is to let people know you are responding personally, there is as you mention multiple options.

For instance I've had success by responding to the follower,with a thank you and asking a question about their content, or telling them what I liked about it. That shows that I have personalised the message to them

The content I create to help people is based on what I keep repeating when I chat with people.

So your doing idea extraction for content creation, I think it is less about what you are doing, and more about the perception of what you are doing.

Maybe.
Have you read this one?
It's just a forum
A quick glance at your profile and I see 527 messages and 277 Likes. You can argue that they're only numbers, but does that ratio mean anything?

I have just read that thread. I had only read the other two previously. The ratio holds no meaning to me, does it mean anything to you? In my personal life, I have no interest in the validation of other people, obviously in business, I desire to validate, customers will pay for value add, otherwise it is a charity.

It doesn't work for you, except it did because we chatted for 22 messages.

I never asked you how are things going though which did work , While when I ask
people how are things going their is then no success for me.
Should I avoid saying how are things going, or is there something else I've not identified at work.

A friendly suggestion is to think about how it could work for you
Think also about how it could work, instead of just how it couldn't work

I try to work out why things may have difficulties working first, once I've defined the problemspace, I then try to think of solutions. I may well come up with a few while defining the problem, however proceeding directly to suggestions, leads to the chance of missing out the best solution, and wasting time on solutions that are a poor fit.
If I'm unsure of the problem then I struggle to identify potential solutions,perhaps there is a better approach?

It can certainly help immensely to share goals and actions and get feedback on why people think this is failing. So far all I can do is just see what sticks, however I probably need a larger sample size to draw conclusions.
Perhaps this is because I'm unable to convince people that I can help them due to my lack of public success.

So how could it work for me? My ideas are;
Work in German (I'm only at A1 in the CEFR grading system(although I got B1 for reading on a test), I really need B2 German all around. Switzerland, Austria,Netherlands ,Poland and Germany have plenty of German speakers whom I could approach.
I could also try phrasing the question in a different manner or by using other tools than email. I seem to get a much better engagement form people via SMS or whatsapp than emails even with the same content. Perhaps it seems less automated by sending via a different platform. I've had much better responses from forums too.

(BTW... I found it a valuable comment to show there's other ways people can view things.)
Thanks, I'm glad I could add value. I've a good wealth of knowledge on cultural differences. (Did you know some cultures consider it rude to smile at people at the beginning of a business meeting? While others might find you a weird loner to not give everyone a kiss on the cheek )

Something to mull over:
I'm not chasing likes, they just seem to come.
I'm no chasing business either, and that just seems to come too.
Well I'm not chasing likes(Why would I? What possible use are they? I'm certainly not providing content to try and gain likes.) I have never even looked at how many likes I have received until just now, for this conversation.
However I have never ever had any business come to me, when I have been making no attempt to chase anything. So I wonder why?

There seems to be no correlation between the two for me, maybe they are related maybe not, all I can say for sure is there is a correlation for you and an anti-correlation for me and two people is too small to make a determination, especially as there are many other variables between our lives.

When you meet someone IRL, how does that go?
It really depends on the person and the situation. I seem to rarely be able to move forward from networking/business type situations, I do quite well at events around a common interest(Weekly events I'm able to attend often are usually the best (Volunteering to pick up litter form the river banks each Sunday, maintaining parks, salsa lessons,monthly book clubs, cycling lessons)

Pretty much anything on meetup.com that has regular activities and is something I'm interested in and can reach works well.
Although I have difficulty then maintaining these relationships if I move away(out of sigh out of mind)

And no, I'm not saying what I'm doing is the best way, the only way, or even the best way for me. I just saying it's something to try or consider trying.)

I never thought you were saying that, and it is certainly worth considering and a try out. Although I may be able to accomplish this in a better manner for me

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I think there might be a cultural difference here?

Where I’m from, and where I live now, people greet each other with “Hi. How are you?” or “Hey. How’s it going?”

Sometimes they reciprocate with the same greeting and that’s that.

Sometimes it becomes a conversation.

I literally can’t take the bins out on a Friday night without ending up chatting for 10 minutes with neighbours and passers-by.

To just say “Hello” would be a odd here, maybe even rude depending on how it was said.

I’m not doing “idea extraction”.

I’m not doing “content marketing” either.

And I’m certainly not “buying traffic”.

All of the above are phrases marketers made up to make us think we don’t know how to chat with people and help them.

The sceptic in me thinks they did this so they can sell their courses to us.

I firmly believe we’d be much better off erasing such phrases from our vocabulary.

LittleWolfie

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
56%
Jun 28, 2018
Holbeach Hurn
I think there might be a cultural difference here?

Perhaps, my more direct,blunt and literal style seems to resonate more with Germans, Dutch and Austrians, so you could say I'm in the wrong culture for me.

Also I have no followers in Ireland, so am unable to test if this would work for me.

Most people here will stick with hello or good morning or occasionally how are you. How are things seems weird to me except when you actually care. Although I'm probably out of local.cultural context on this one.

Indeed the German usual response to how are you is either confusion or a 30 minute essay on their life and all.their trials and tribulations and how thier father's car is broke and now they have to take their grandmother to the podiatrist and so they are going to miss their veremein next week, and this makes them sad because..

You literally would not have enough time in your day to ask everyone you meet, so you would have to be selective and it is a bit weird and maybe even rude to presume you know them.that well.

When putting out your bins,how would you respond to a new neighbour greeting you with.

Hello, Is everything in order with you?

That's the best translation I can make, I'm wondering if it comes across correctly,I'm thinking it may not translate well.

I’m not doing “idea extraction”.

I’m not doing “content marketing” either.

And I’m certainly not “buying traffic”.

I firmly believe we’d be much better off erasing such phrases from our vocabulary.

Okay so what phrases would you use to describe those activities? Or is rude to lie or gloss the truth so if you really are doing "idea extraction" what do.you say when someone asks you what you are doing?

I love those terms because they seem so precise (extracting ideas could cover the r part of r&d, as well as market resarch and wandering around looking for problems to solve, or going to conferences or reading business problems or fisting forums)

"Buying traffic" well is that not your day job? You charge clients money, spend that money on Google AdWords (buy) and your clients get visitors (traffic).

I can see why sounding to marketer or scammy might be a problem for me. However The whole how are things/how are you seemed weird, perhaps that forced uncomfortable nature shines through.

For myself the best bet is to be honest,however how do I then tell people what I'm doing without sounding too marketer. If I'm doing say "idea extraction" then I'm literally not marketing (there is nothing to sell)

I firmly believe erasing how are you from our vocabulary would make us all better off, you may disagree.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.