The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Vegan / Vegetarians Only (Chat about lifestyle, opportunities, food, whatever...)

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
Yes this is good too, however, regular tempeh makes me want to gag. So there's a fine line there for me.

Yeah I only eat smoky one. Regular isn't good. Try it dipped in soy sauce. With hummus it tastes fine, too.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Matt Sun

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
253%
Oct 21, 2017
Argentina
I'm addicted to $1 hummus. Is there a group for recovering people or something ?

Lol being vegan in Europe is insanely cheap. Also $1 for a pound of pre-cooked chickpeas. $0.80 for lentils. I'm loving Málaga.

So many options I didn't have in Argentina. Only downside is that if you want organic stuff it costs 2 or 3x the price, that didn't happen in Arg.

skyflare

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
87%
May 14, 2023
Hungary
Where do I start with all of this? I'm tired of all the mid foods I eat every day, I want to start making my own healthy food. Do you look for recipes and start cooking straight away? For me all the single recipe approach has been sub optimal, because it teaches you how to follow them step by step, but I want to learn real cooking.

Subsonic

How you do anything is how you do everything
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
282%
Aug 16, 2022
Germany
You can begin weening yourself off this feeling with fake meat substitutes. I've been doing this, and I'm experiencing nearly no difficulties with this feeling. Many replacements are surprisingly good & have somewhat equivalent protein amounts.
I've got sliced carrots with salt and pepper on a bread with a bit of frischkäse.
Works great for the texture.

KJFast

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
72%
Dec 8, 2023
I never liked Tofu but it turns out, I (and my wife) really wasn't cooking it right.

The key is spices which can turn it into any "meat like" taste you want.

It has done wonders for me and is a good source of protein.

If you curate your IG or TikTok feed for vegan recipes you would fall over at some of the great stuff you can make; my wife and I have found countless dishes that involve tofu and various forms of mushrooms.

Going vegan was the best thing I ever done for my spiritual life as it brings forth a profound respect for life, even with things you wouldn't eat like spiders, but it also might raise your anxiety levels as you deal with a culture that insists on being selectively blind and incompassionate...

"Don't run over that cute little cow!" followed by eating a hamburger at the dinner table.

6 years later, I still struggle with this aspect.

I try to keep my fake meat consumption down to 1 serving per week.

Could be Impossible burger, faux chicken nuggets (many brands have mastered chix nuggests) or fake ground beef in a pasta dish, like lasagna.

There are a ton of tasty fake ground beef substitutes that work well in spaghetti and other dishes. Impossible ground beef is the best for this purpose, not sure if they sell those in AU.

These work magic when you need to satisfy a craving.

I will emphasize craving; as you know, processed "anything" isn't going to be very good for you.
Tofu is fking amazing when done right, also highly recommend mushroom burgers or smoked mushroom. Really can make something nicer than meat but sorta like meat from mushies.

Definitely agree, since being plant based my anxiety can go up. Literally felt sick one time seeing meat, had to take a breather.

Also love how you mentioned caring for the little animals too, I’d never kill a spider or fly now. Spiritually being plant based is amazing.

There’s a train of thought that if you eat meat you’re eating suffering - especially as the animals in abattoirs go through that horrific process. That suffering your eating lowers your vibe. If you dive further you’re also eating adrenochrome

Timmy C

I Will Not Stop!
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
230%
Jun 12, 2018
Melbourne, Australia
I never liked Tofu but it turns out, I (and my wife) really wasn't cooking it right.

I have found Tofu to be great as it is quite bland. This is a positive for me, as you can mix it with any sauce you make and you barely taste it, but you get all of the nutritional value from it.

Could be Impossible burger, faux chicken nuggets (many brands have mastered chix nuggests) or fake ground beef in a pasta dish, like lasagna.

There are a ton of tasty fake ground beef substitutes that work well in spaghetti and other dishes. Impossible ground beef is the best for this purpose, not sure if they sell those in AU.

I Just checked and they do sell impossible products here. The last time I tried the Vegan food that tried to be meat, it sucked pretty bad. But it was some time ago since I tried this sort of stuff, so maybe it has improved since then.
I will emphasize craving; as you know, processed "anything" isn't going to be very good for you.

Yeh 100%, but sometimes I will splurge. Like you said the 80/20 applies.
80% of your diet needs to be clean, and I think right now I am more like 90/10.
It might be an option for when I want to eat like a fat pig so I will buy some and see how it goes.

socaldude

Saturn Sedan and PT Cruiser enthusiast.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
211%
Jan 10, 2012
San Diego, CA
Quinoa’s Global Success Creates Quandary at Home (Published 2011)

“When NASA scientists were searching decades ago for an ideal food for long-term human space missions, they came across an Andean plant called quinoa. With an exceptional balance of amino acids, quinoa, they declared, is virtually unrivaled in the plant or animal kingdom for its life-sustaining nutrients.”

Aidan04

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
220%
Apr 27, 2022
United States

If you curate your IG or TikTok feed for vegan recipes you would fall over at some of the great stuff you can make; my wife and I have found countless dishes that involve tofu and various forms of mushrooms.

Going vegan was the best thing I ever done for my spiritual life as it brings forth a profound respect for life, even with things you wouldn't eat like spiders, but it also might raise your anxiety levels as you deal with a culture that insists on being selectively blind and incompassionate...

"Don't run over that cute little cow!" followed by eating a hamburger at the dinner table.

6 years later, I still struggle with this aspect.

These work magic when you need to satisfy a craving.

I need to figure out how to turn this shit into a bbq ribs type texture and taste.

It's the only thing I miss since going plant based.

Nazca

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
May 3, 2023
France
I just don't get how you guys see any differences, let alone such huge differences after a week. Your diet before either had to be utter shit or it's placebo.

I've never seen any difference. But maybe that's because I was vegetarian since I was 17 and then switched to vegan at 31 so at this point I've actually lived longer meat-free than as a meat-eater.

I saw zero differences when I switched to vegetarian at 17 (as far as I remember) and zero differences when I switched to vegan at 31 (other than actually feeling worse, primarily digestive-wise, and I find it's way easier to gain weight as a vegan).

But I don't do veganism for health reasons but ethics. Either way, I'm really confused how you're guys noticing all these ridiculous changes and can't help thinking it has to be placebo.

Refer me to your dealer. I'd like to buy the same good stuff.

(this is all half-joking but I really am confused)
It's not totally placebo since eating fat takes definitely much more energy to your digestive system than eating light. After eating, it's easier to stay focused when you eat light.

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
It's not totally placebo since eating fat takes definitely much more energy to your digestive system than eating light. After eating, it's easier to stay focused when you eat light.

Being plant-based doesn't mean being on a low-fat diet. It's just as easy to consume lots of fat and eat heavy meals as a vegan.

Plants are digested faster but it's not about the fat content alone.

Try a meal with quinoa, beans, and tempeh. It won't be a light meal, even though it is a healthy meal.

REV5028

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
276%
Oct 29, 2022
New Mexico
Try a meal with quinoa, beans, and tempeh. It won't be a light meal, even though it is a healthy meal.
I find that a lot of meat eaters in my life will comment on my cooking or a vegan meal out that even though it is filling, it feels lighter than what they would usually eat. They don't feel all sluggish and heavy like they do when eating animal-based meals.

Matt Sun

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
253%
Oct 21, 2017
Argentina
I don't get why there is such resistance with the idea of tracking calories. Like

"hey, I will plug this electrical device but I will not measure the amount of power it gets from the current, it might blow up, but it's okay, I don't want to be obsessed about power anyway "

Just that the device it's your body and the power measurement is calories.

Rant over

edit: Can this post please be moved to the general rant thread since it's not only vegan related

Last edited:

S.Y.

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
267%
Oct 4, 2017
Canada
I don't get why there is such resistance with the idea of tracking calories. Like

"hey, I will plug this electrical device but I will not measure the amount of power it gets from the current, it might blow up, but it's okay, I don't want to be obsessed about power anyway "

Rant over

edit: Can this post please be moved to the general rant thread since it's not only vegan related

For me, it is cumbersome.
I'm fine with focusing on other eating habits than tracking calories.

Subsonic

How you do anything is how you do everything
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
282%
Aug 16, 2022
Germany
I'll say it's essential for me.

I cannot get leaner if I just eat off of intuition.

Matt Sun

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
253%
Oct 21, 2017
Argentina
Yeah to be honest it does require some effort, it also offers rewards, specially about losing fat.

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011

Rant over

How long have you been tracking your calories? I did it for over 10 years, including weighing everything I ate. To this day I'm still struggling with an eating disorder caused by this habit.

My brain simply can't understand how much to eat anymore because I taught it to rely on calorie counting. Calorie counting also meant constant deprivation for me which is why I still struggle with a binge eating disorder these days (even though I stopped counting calories 3 years ago).

REV5028

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
276%
Oct 29, 2022
New Mexico
You guys talking about calorie counting probably already know a wealth of information, but I recently sort of (didn't give it my full attention) listened to this podcast episode that might be interesting to you.

Matt Sun

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
253%
Oct 21, 2017
Argentina
How long have you been tracking your calories? I did it for over 10 years, including weighing everything I ate. To this day I'm still struggling with an eating disorder caused by this habit.

My brain simply can't understand how much to eat anymore because I taught it to rely on calorie counting. Calorie counting also meant constant deprivation for me which is why I still struggle with a binge eating disorder these days (even though I stopped counting calories 3 years ago).
I have been doing it for about 9 months. And yeah, after days and weeks of caloric deficit, some days I probably over eat. But I try to go to the gym and walk a lot those days, so far it's not such a problem. I've read that with lower body fat % the hormones cause the hunger signal to be much stronger, that I have also experienced.

I feel I've improved my body's aesthetic significantly thanks to counting calories. And I use cronometer.com and pretty easily cover my macro and micro nutrient needs, so I don't feel I have a sort of eating disorder coming as long as I have that covered.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
If any of you plant-based folks are craving junk food sweets that taste as good or better than their animal-ingredient counterparts, I dangerously present to you:

This entrepreneur is based here in Salt Lake City and she makes the most delicious treats, and they are all vegan.

If you're here in Utah, she also has a bistro (Sweet Hazel, Midvale UT) which serves all vegan fast food. It's a bit pricey but I find her cooking on all levels to be incredibly delicious and worth the price.

If you order the sweets, be prepared to be impressed.

heavy_industry

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
555%
Apr 17, 2022
I don't get why there is such resistance with the idea of tracking calories.
There is nothing wrong with tracking calories, as long as you understand that they are merely a proxy for measuring the actual energy going in and out of the system.

No lol.

Calories are used to measure the thermal energy that results from combusting a substance. This is an overly simplified and reductionist model of how the human metabolism works.

3000 calories of pizza will have a vastly different effect on your body than 3000 calories of salad.

Different foods will elicit different physiological responses from the body. The timing and frequency of meals will also alter this response.

You can "lose weight" by tracking calories, but weight is yet another stupid proxy for measuring health.

We're interested in:
  • Losing visceral fat
  • Gaining muscle mass
  • Increasing bone density
  • Maintaining an adequate level of subcutaneous fat
  • All while maximizing mitochondrial biogenesis

If I hop on the scale and see that I've lost 5 pounds of "weight", that could either be good news or bad news - depending on what actually happened in the system.

Matt Sun

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
253%
Oct 21, 2017
Argentina
There is nothing wrong with tracking calories, as long as you understand that they are merely a proxy for measuring the actual energy going in and out of the system.

No lol.

Calories are used to measure the thermal energy that results from combusting a substance. This is an overly simplified and reductionist model of how the human metabolism works.

3000 calories of pizza will have a vastly different effect on your body than 3000 calories of salad.

Different foods will elicit different physiological responses from the body. The timing and frequency of meals will also alter this response.

You can "lose weight" by tracking calories, but weight is yet another stupid proxy for measuring health.

We're interested in:
  • Losing visceral fat
  • Gaining muscle mass
  • Increasing bone density
  • Maintaining an adequate level of subcutaneous fat
  • All while maximizing mitochondrial biogenesis

If I hop on the scale and see that I've lost 5 pounds of "weight", that could either be good news or bad news - depending on what actually happened in the system.
I agree with you. It's just that tracking calories has been a game changer for me to achieve all that.

For context, I grew up as a very skinny guy, at times I weighted 57 kilos in highschool (1.80m height). I even remeber going to a nutritionist who was a quite fat woman that told me I should eat lot's of chocolates and sandwiches to gain weight, yay ! No mention of calories, protein, strength training, a food scale, nothing...

This method has finally set me up in the right direction, so I'm both grateful and a little mad I got so much bad advice that I see even today by youtubers with millions of suscribers. Like one that says that to lose weight you should weight yourself on a scale every morning... I mean that is not wrong per se but if you stuff your face with french fries all day it won't help very much. When the way to get from a to b is much simpler.

And since we are in the vegan thread, even vegan influecers do this. When I made the change 7 years ago I followed some of this influencers, some that do give good general advice but no mention of this, and I thought well If I eat plant based and I train i will get my ideal body eventually... nope, not at all. The calculated use of calorie deficits , maintenance and surplus is key to achieve all the points you listed IMO.

Last edited:

Nazca

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
May 3, 2023
France
Being plant-based doesn't mean being on a low-fat diet. It's just as easy to consume lots of fat and eat heavy meals as a vegan.

Plants are digested faster but it's not about the fat content alone.

It's true. I made the quick shortcut "vegan = lower fat".

Agreed that beans do not feel light, especially with cumin, and onions.

What's your current diet? If not already mentioned earlier.

KJFast

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
72%
Dec 8, 2023
I’m unwell… AGAIN. Since becoming vegan I’ve been ill a lot more, could be a coincidence or another factor possibly but genuinely have been unwell LOADS lately. I feel like this past month or two I’ve either been ill or recovering.

I’ll never stop the vegan lifestyle but is there something I’m possibly missing?

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
I’ll never stop the vegan lifestyle but is there something I’m possibly missing?

Without giving details about your diet (and any other changes you've made) it's impossible to answer this question.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Since becoming vegan I’ve been ill a lot more

Miley Cyrus also became ill after going vegan.

Turns out we find out much later that her diet consisted of mostly celery puree.

Duh.

Jon822

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
270%
Nov 21, 2016
I’m unwell… AGAIN. Since becoming vegan I’ve been ill a lot more, could be a coincidence or another factor possibly but genuinely have been unwell LOADS lately. I feel like this past month or two I’ve either been ill or recovering.

You are probably lacking in an essential vitamin or mineral. It's impossible to know more without more information about your diet.

Matt Sun

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
253%
Oct 21, 2017
Argentina

Does your cronometer.com app looks like this when you log what you ate for the day ?
Captura de pantalla 2024-03-25 a la(s) 8.56.04 p. m..png
Captura de pantalla 2024-03-25 a la(s) 8.56.16 p. m..png

theNeverMore

New Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Jan 18, 2024
Does your cronometer.com app looks like this when you log what you ate for the day ?
View attachment 54978
View attachment 54979
Nice screenshot! Manganese is always the easiest to beat.

On getting sick, before I went vegan, all I ate was rice, chicken, broccoli for lunch and dinner. And yogurt for breakfast. I was sick every other week.

Since going plant-based, I haven’t been sick for 6 years. What might happen is I get a runny nose for a few hours. Then I go to sleep and it’s gone. As others said, it might be a lack of variety.

Try adding real vegetables to your diet. And if you already have, eat more. I usually eat 2.5kg of food per day. Maybe it’s just a matter of quantity.

Regarding weight gain, I think calories are important. But your body doesn’t think in calories. It thinks in volume.

KJFast

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
72%
Dec 8, 2023
Without giving details about your diet (and any other changes you've made) it's impossible to answer this question.
Understandable!
This is what my diet mainly consists of:

• peanut butter
  • almond butter
  • sweetcorn tinned
  • cherry tomatoes
  • spring onion
  • noodles
  • onions
  • sweet potatoes
  • couscous
  • red kidney beans
  • tinned tom
  • rice (basmati)
  • pasta
  • ginger
  • garlic
  • carrots
  • tofu
  • mango
  • spinach
  • lettuce
  • kale
  • broccoli
  • avocado
  • bananas
  • lemons
  • nuts (almonds, peanuts, walnuts)
  • oats
Things I rarely eat but sometimes have:
Bread
Fake meat stuff (very rarely in reality)

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.