The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success

HOT TOPIC Plant-Based Opportunities / Vegan Business Opportunities

Marty Foley

New Contributor
Mar 31, 2019
Here's more validation of plant-based eating business opportunities...

Kevin O'Leary says this is what he would do if he lost everything and had to start over:

"...something in healthy foods is a great place to make money... It's only going to grow..."

He doesn't specify plant-based healthy eating and there's still a lot of prejudice (and common myths) about it.

People may argue against plant based eating, but facts are facts, and science backs this up.

More and more people are opening their eyes to the benefits and effectiveness of plant based eating (for improving health and maintaining healthy weight), thanks to such resources as:

DOCUMENTARIES
Forks Over Knives
The Last Heart Attack (CNN)
The Game Changers

LICENSED DOCTORS
Caldwell Esselstyn
Colin Campbell
Joel Furhman
John McDougall
Michael Greger
Michael Klaper
Neal Barnard
Pam Popper

BOOKS
How Not to Die
The China Study
The Starch Solution

Switching to about 95% plant based eating helped me recover from a near-stroke, lose about 40 lbs, and improve high blood pressure.

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum. Subscribe.

Mainstream7

Beauty is Truth
Jan 1, 2015
Thoughts:
As the mass production of fake meat becomes widespread, low-cost, and a commodity, meat becomes a luxury good. Flippening in the future?

MJ DeMarco

Administrator
Staff member
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Millionaire Fastlane
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Jul 23, 2007
Fountain Hills, AZ
As the mass production of fake meat becomes widespread, low-cost, and a commodity, meat becomes a luxury good. Flippening in the future?
Possible, and if so, years away.

In ancient times, having meat for a meal was a luxury and usually done for a celebration... i.e. go out back and slaughter the pig for Thanksgiving! If a meat eater can't tell the difference between fake and real, that's where your hypothesis becomes a real possibility.

Although I haven't had meat in nearly 2 years, Beyond Meat (the company) isn't quite there yet. However, I did try an Impossible Whopper the other night and it tasted exactly like the real thing (at least from what I remember) ... I could have given it to the big meat eater in the family who curses veganism, you know the guy who is 100 lbs over weight and takes 4 pills for diabetes ... he wouldn't have known the difference. (True story on both counts, quite funny.)

Some challenges: The alts are far more expensive and are still not very healthy. For example the Impossible Whopper had 1K+ in sodium. While some bystanders might be thinking alt meats are a healthier alternative, they're splitting hairs. Any self-reflecting vegan or vegetarian knows it's a full blown cheat meal, complete with cross contamination of meat products due to the grilling process.

For me personally, it's nice to finally have some garbage food options at a fast food restaurant. One of the challenges of being plant-based is knowing that 99% of the fast-food joints are off limits and might as well be practically invisible.

Mainstream7

Beauty is Truth
Jan 1, 2015
Possible, and if so, years away.

In ancient times, having meat for a meal was a luxury and usually done for a celebration... i.e. go out back and slaughter the pig for Thanksgiving! If a meat eater can't tell the difference between fake and real, that's where your hypothesis becomes a real possibility.

Although I haven't had meat in nearly 2 years, Beyond Meat (the company) isn't quite there yet. However, I did try an Impossible Whopper the other night and it tasted exactly like the real thing (at least from what I remember) ... I could have given it to the big meat eater in the family who curses veganism, you know the guy who is 100 lbs over weight and takes 4 pills for diabetes ... he wouldn't have known the difference. (True story on both counts, quite funny.)

Some challenges: The alts are far more expensive and are still not very healthy. For example the Impossible Whopper had 1K+ in sodium. While some bystanders might be thinking alt meats are a healthier alternative, they're splitting hairs. Any self-reflecting vegan or vegetarian knows it's a full blown cheat meal, complete with cross contamination of meat products due to the grilling process.

For me personally, it's nice to finally have some garbage food options at a fast food restaurant. One of the challenges of being plant-based is knowing that 99% of the fast-food joints are off limits and might as well be practically invisible.
The most natural alt is tofu. However due to it's phytoestrogens and it's effect on testosterone levels, it's not really a healthy option.
I had a kidney bean burger some time ago and it was the best thing ever.
There certainly is potential to develop healthier alternatives. Not sure why everyone is crazy about replacing the taste of meat but it's a first step I guess.

We have a decades old meat company in Germany and half of their sales is now veggie alternatives and they plan to quit their meat production in the future. It all depends on market demand.

Last edited:

Scot

Salad Dressing Empire
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Jul 10, 2016
Florida
The most natural alt is tofu. However due to it's phytoestrogens and it's effect on testosterone levels, it's not really a healthy option.
I had a kidney bean burger some time ago and it was the best thing ever.
There certainly is potential to develop healthier alternatives. Not sure why everyone is crazy about replacing the taste of meat but it's a first step I guess.

We have a decades old meat company in Germany and half of their sales is now veggie alternatives and they plan to quit their meat production in the future. It all depends on market demand.
Impossible and Beyond’s goal isn’t making veggie burgers for vegans. It’s making a more sustainable alternative to meat, for meat eaters.

It’s no secret that beef agriculture is literally destroying our planet, by being one of the highest green house gas emitters.

You can use less land and resources to grow crops which can be refined and grown into meat analogues.

Danny Sullivan

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Jul 2, 2018
Germany
I'm really sorry, yet i can't let this statement stand as it is and might redirect you to the following links for further education on this matter:

But maybe i'm wrong here and you can provide links to / or studies itself that show otherwise.

I also want to add Seitan as possible "meat replacement" because of it's umami taste and high protein values. Tempeh is delicious too and can also be made of lentils and beans.

Not meant to derail this thread though.

Mainstream7

Beauty is Truth
Jan 1, 2015
I'm really sorry, yet i can't let this statement stand as it is and might redirect you to the following links for further education on this matter:

But maybe i'm wrong here and you can provide links to / or studies itself that show otherwise.

I also want to add Seitan as possible "meat replacement" because of it's umami taste and high protein values. Tempeh is delicious too and can also be made of lentils and beans.

Not meant to derail this thread though.
Most studies are based on animal studies and individual case reports. I have consumed soy products moderately for roughly 14 years and have noticed health benefits after quitting them.
Opinions are splitting of course.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Monthly conference calls with doers
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

Top Bottom