• The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success
  1. Join 40,000+ entrepreneurs
    who are kicking butt and
    winning their dream life.

Unscripted™ Entrepreneurship:
    A Business That Pays More Than Money, It Pays Time.

"Fastlane" is an entrepreneur discussion forum based on The Unscripted Entrepreneurial Framework (TUNEF) outlined in the two best-selling books by MJ DeMarco (The Millionaire Fastlane and UNSCRIPTED™). From multimillionaires to digital nomads, the forum features real entrepreneurs creating real businesses.

Download (Unscripted) Download (Millionaire Fastlane)  Register
    Registering for the forum removes this block!

Plant-Based Opportunities / Vegan Business Opportunities

Discussion in 'Education, Learning, Books' started by AndrewNC, Nov 3, 2016.

1. MJ DeMarco

MJ DeMarco Raving Lunatic Staff Member Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $374,419
    Admin Post
    5 years ago, the MILK cartons got 6, 7 cooler doors.

Now they can barely grab 2 as the dairy alternatives are squeezing them out.

At my local Safeway, the dairy coolers have almost disappeared, replaced with alternatives; Soy, Oat, Coconut, Almond, etc.

This has nothing to do with Veganism, but more so that more and more adult humans realize they should be drinking breast milk from a recently force-impregnated cow, much less a human. No matter how traditional it may seem (we've done it for years!) or what the milk industry wants to advertise and promote (got Milk?), it is not natural. Folks who are listening to their body are starting to find correlation with how they feel and with what they consume.

milkcooler.jpg

2. MTF

MTF Never give up Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR

Rep Bank:
    $75,298
    It's a shame that pretty much all of these alternatives aren't really healthier than regular milk. I'm not saying that dairy is better - just pointing out that most of these alternatives are sweetened with artificial sweeteners and/or other substances to make them more palatable. They're marketed as healthy drinks, but in fact many of them aren't much different than junk soft drinks.

MooreMillions, Darius, Xeon and 2 others like this.
  3. WinYourself

WinYourself Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $513
    This!

I would argue the alternatives are worse than the original.

At the end of the day, they are sugar water with artificial additives, transported half way around the world.

With milk you at least get some bio available protein and some saturated fat besides the sugar. Could live of milk alone. Try doing this with sugar water.

Not a milk drinker myself, and don't think humans should drink cow milk, but would choose it over sugar water if I had to.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2019
    Xeon and Kid like this.
  4. Tommo

Tommo Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $1,152
    Maybe in North America but not in Australia, mostly good unsweetened mylks as they spell it here.

5. amp0193

amp0193 Legendary Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $48,144
    My store has an "unsweetend" version of almond milk that I buy. They're stocked about 50/50 on the shelf. Not sure if that's the same everywhere.

ZF Lee and NateKruse like this.
  6. MTF

MTF Never give up Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR

Rep Bank:
    $75,298
    Even if it's unsweetened, it probably still has some other unhealthy ingredients. For example, one of the most well-known European brands selling milk alternatives, Alpro, sells unsweetened almond milk. It has gellan gum (here are some pros and cons of it: Belly Trouble? Your Almond Milk Could Be to Blame) and locust bean gum (Millions of People Are Eating This Shoe Polish & Cigarette Ingredient (Are You?)).

Obviously, much better than the sweetened version, but it's still a processed drink.

amp0193, RoadTrip and Xeon like this.
  7. NateKruse

NateKruse Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $2,150
    I am a huge proponent of the Dr. McDougall way of eating. I use unsweetened original (not vanilla-flavor) almond milk, but I don't drink it as a beverage. I use it as an ingredient in recipes or occasionally poured over cereal. Dr. McDougall believes milk and milk-substitutes should not be used for drinking. Water is the ultimate beverage.

If you want a milk alternative and want to know exactly what goes in it, some are not too hard to make at home. I have made almond milk with almonds soaked in water, vanilla beans, and dates for sweetness. Blend it in the Vitamix with some water and squeeze it with a nut milk bag. It turns out pretty decent. I've heard brown rice milk is easy to make as well.

8. amp0193

amp0193 Legendary Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $48,144
    Thanks for that, I'll look more carefully at it.

MTF likes this.
  9. Darius

Darius Gold Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $9,223
    Regardless of what milk (or alternative you use) - there are a few things you can do to figure out how healthy it is:

1. Check the Macros. Make sure it's either high in fat or high in carbs - mixing the 2 is unnatural and likely a prime contributor to all the metabolic problems a lot of humans have (insulin resistance, diabetes, etc.)

2. Check the ingredients. If you don't know an ingredient, look it up on your phone at the store. Since we're talking about processed food (milk alternatives) - it's probably ingredients you don't know OR ingredients you do know that was made with ingredients you don't know. Try to keep the list of ingredients as short as you can

3. Learn how that 'milk' is made. All of the milk alternatives I've researched are unnatural and not much better (if at all) than regular store-bought milk (basically sugar water with no vitamins) - similar to what @MTF & @WinYourself said.

No one should drink milk (unless you're being breastfeed) or milk alternatives at all. But, if we're being practical - try to limit your intake of them to the bare minimum because they have no fat-soluble vitamin content aside from what's 'fortified' (usually fortified with low-bioavailability and can cause deficiencies in other vitamins).

If you're a coffee drinker (and not vegetarian or vegan) and use store-bought milk or alternatives solely for drinking coffee, try getting a hold of raw cream from a farm (fat-soluble vitamins are still present) if you don't add sugar to your coffee.

I know this isn't a thread about nutrition but just wanted to throw that out there in case it helps anyone.

Vegan products are definitely on the rise and a big opportunity

10. Maxboost

Maxboost Silver Contributor I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $3,631
    Not here to discuss or argue the pros/cons of veganism but I see a lot of ANTI-veganism videos on youtube. Literally hundreds of EX-vegans, many who built their following on Youtube by following the vegan diet.

These social media influencers have had health problems due to veganism and are telling their audience (millions of views) about the side effects that have happened years after starting vegan diet. These influencers are telling their followers NOT to become a vegan.

What's everyone's thought? Do you guys think this will effect the vegan market? How powerful are these youtubers?

A lot of people have been experimenting with the carnivore diet.

Is the carnivore diet a business niche to look into?

MooreMillions likes this.
  11. MJ DeMarco

MJ DeMarco Raving Lunatic Staff Member Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $374,419
    amp0193 and Kid like this.

Join 1000s of entrepreneurs who are rewriting life's script and winning financial freedom.

---- ----

You must be a member to join the conversation.

Create Account

Join the community fast and easy!

REGISTER

Already have an account? Login here.