The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

TikTok May Be BANNED In The US

Marketing, social media, advertising

GetShitDone

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
77%
Dec 20, 2012
Canada
Do you think the goverment will end up banning TikTok in the US? If so, when & what will take its place?

I imagine Vine (via Twitter) would take its place

Wonder what this would do to all the TikTok Agencies out there...

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Attachments

• 1671109268754.jpeg
    1671109268754.jpeg
    1.9 KB · Views: 8
  • 1671109268763.png
    1671109268763.png
    742 bytes · Views: 8

heavy_industry

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
553%
Apr 17, 2022
This app is a weaponized trojan horse that has proven spyware capabilities built-in and is also used to destroy whatever is left of gen-z's attention span.

This is not "entertainment", this is cyber warfare.

GetShitDone

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
77%
Dec 20, 2012
Canada
This app is a weaponized trojan horse that has proven spyware capabilities built-in and is also used to destroy whatever is left of gen-z's attention span.

This is not "entertainment", this is cyber warfare.

Agreed on the decision to ban it tbh. What do you feel will happen to the TikTok agencies, businesses spending on TikTok, etc? I imagine they'll all move to a US based competitior.

I wonder WHEN the ban would come into play though..

ZackerySprague

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
Jun 26, 2021
Fort Worth, Texas
If it does get banned, e-commerce owners will have to find a new way to advertise in the platform.

In terms of Social Media. I was never a big fan of it to be honest.

It honestly would impact my life haha. I honestly don’t pay much attention to what’s going on in the US Government, if it impacts my life in terms of health or working and having to choose between the two like they did in COVID is when I’ll take action.

To which I will vote in 2024.

heavy_industry

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
553%
Apr 17, 2022
What do you feel will happen to the TikTok agencies, businesses spending on TikTok, etc?
Those that rely exclusively on a third party for their business will quickly learn why Control is the first commandment in CENTS.

davidwiles

New Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
122%
Sep 28, 2021
It's robbing our youth of their mental capabilities. It's gotta go! I don't understand how users can get so many views so soon. When I was on the platform, I posted a video of my gf playing a tabletop beer pong like game with a catapult, and it got 100K views overnight. Not millions, but still. Doesn't add up.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
Ban banning things.

I don’t care if people want to drink alcohol. I don’t care if they want to do crack. I don’t care if they want to balloon up to 600 pounds on McDonalds. I don’t care if they want to risk their lives doing something stupid.

So, I certainly don’t care if someone wants to rot their mind on TikTok.

If you don’t want your kid on TikTok, don’t let them have a TikTok.

Banning things that the king declares “aren’t good for you” is not America. Well, it wasn’t. Now we are begging for collective decrees.

Xeon

All Cars Kneel Before Pagani.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Sep 3, 2017
Singapore
Obviously, whatever bans there will be on TikTok, will all be politically-motivated. We all know what it's all about.

But if TikTok gets banned, it's not necessarily a bad thing : it'll level the playing field for those of us who can't take advantage of the geo-location crap, and secondly, it may reduce the amount of cringiness and narcissism everywhere. Especially those ultra-cringey videos of teens and fully-grown adults (usually women) doing puke-induing dances trying to act cute to get attention. Imagine a 35 year old mom behaving like a 14 year old girl.

Be gone! Now. Give us 2015-era Instagram with all that organic reach with photos. No short form videos.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
Obviously, whatever bans there will be on TikTok, will all be politically-motivated. We all know what it's all about.

But if TikTok gets banned, it's not necessarily a bad thing : it'll level the playing field for those of us who can't take advantage of the geo-location crap, and secondly, it may reduce the amount of cringiness and narcissism everywhere. Especially those ultra-cringey videos of teens and fully-grown adults (usually women) doing puke-induing dances trying to act cute to get attention. Imagine a 35 year old mom behaving like a 14 year old girl.

Be gone! Now. Give us 2015-era Instagram with all that organic reach with photos. No short form videos.

The world has gotten a taste of it. There’s epic demand for it. Something will fill the void.

Just don’t be a cringe person who melts their mind. It’s a choice.

Robdavis

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
156%
Nov 16, 2022
United Kingdom
The world has gotten a taste of it. There’s epic demand for it. Something will fill the void.

Just don’t be a cringe person who melts their mind. It’s a choice.
Youtube already offers short form videos as well. So I don't think you have to look very far to see who could benefit from a TikTok ban. Gen Z will be able to fry their brains on Youtube instead.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Lots of great content on TikTok. I like how videos aren't full of fluff like so many on YouTube. Lots of consumers appreciate content that gets to the damn point already.

TikTok can be a great platform for us producers too.

Why do we as entrepreneurial types want it banned again?

savefox

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
178%
Jun 15, 2022
Ban banning things.

I don’t care if people want to drink alcohol. I don’t care if they want to do crack. I don’t care if they want to balloon up to 600 pounds on McDonalds. I don’t care if they want to risk their lives doing something stupid.

Banning things that the king declares “aren’t good for you” is not America. Well, it wasn’t. Now we are begging for collective decrees.
Who are you going to sell your products to in 20 years? To brain dead anti-work tik-tokers on government benefits? The US won't even exist in 20 years if we let China destroy our youth's brains. We are literally in a cultural war right now. Do you know what kind of videos China shows their people on tik tok? They're all about patriotism, growth, delayed gratification and love to their country and the communists party. They're going to destroy our anti-work digital crackheads if we don't stop it

savefox

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
178%
Jun 15, 2022
America literally banned alcohol in 1920 by the way.

Ismail941

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
108%
May 7, 2019
A Chinese platform that has massive reach/traffic that took over during the C0VlD-19?
Facebook platform is for networking which makes sense.
But The moment If I think about Tiktok, it immediately springs to my mind: "Do a 5 Seconds Dance"
A Platform like TikTok is the best example of instant gratification, sure content gets view but is it worthy ?
This is more like a political topic.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
Who are you going to sell your products to in 20 years? To brain dead anti-work tik-tokers on government benefits? The US won't even exist in 20 years if we let China destroy our youth's brains. We are literally in a cultural war right now. Do you know what kind of videos China shows their people on tik tok? They're all about patriotism, growth, delayed gratification and love to their country and the communists party. They're going to destroy our anti-work digital crackheads if we don't stop it

I’m not going to give you your fairytale emotionally charged argument that TikTok is going to destroy civilization. It is hyperbolic and ridiculous.

Plus, you seem to think I care if the US exists or not. The US government is a bigger threat to my freedom than China is. China didn’t lock me down. China didn’t force our businesses to close their doors. Heavy handed authoritarian American democracy did which is exactly what banning an app is. It’s hypocrisy to simultaneously be pro-freedom and want to ban some app. You can’t have it both ways. You either care about freedom or you don’t.

Yes, I am aware of what Fox News tells people China shows on TikTok. I’m sure no American ever queued up a bunch of smut on their own. No American would ever do that.

And China, LOL, I’m sure there’s zero smut there whatsoever.

My TikTok, that I don’t even use, was full of business stuff, home improvement, and golf stuff because that’s what I decided to follow.

America banning TikTok “because China” is a very China move.

Last edited:

Roli

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
Jun 3, 2015
I think his point was that you said that banning things was un-American, so 1920 proves that America banned stuff around 100 years ago.

I think it's an interesting debate, although I doubt if TikTok will be banned because the American government did a lot of work to ensure Google and Apple are available to the Chinese, albeit heavily restricted.

I sometimes wonder if social media is the answer to Fermi's Paradox, as it accelerates idiotic thinking and thus eventually stymie's societal progress and making sure it stays firmly stuck on its own planet.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
If I think about Tiktok, it immediately springs to my mind: "Do a 5 Seconds Dance"
That's not what TikTok was for me when I was on it a couple of months ago.

It figured out super quick that I like business and marketing content and showed me that.

Some of the TikTok accounts I followed were informative, inspirational, entertaining, and amassed hundreds of thousands of followers because of it. As they would on any video based platform.

I even posted somewhere that I found TikTok a breath of fresh air as it forced creators to get to the point and stop with the 5 minute intros.

Oh, and look how many youngsters can now naturally hop on a phone and express themselves? Compare that to earlier generations who can't get their message out because they can't get over themselves?

I'm not saying it's all good. These platforms make money by keeping people on for longer (whereas Google makes money when people leave so they want you to find results and leave - many times a day). I'm just saying it's not all funny dances, and even if it was, so what?

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
I think his point was that you said that banning things was un-American, so 1920 proves that America banned stuff around 100 years ago.

I think it's an interesting debate, although I doubt if TikTok will be banned because the American government did a lot of work to ensure Google and Apple are available to the Chinese, albeit heavily restricted.

I sometimes wonder if social media is the answer to Fermi's Paradox, as it accelerates idiotic thinking and thus eventually stymie's societal progress and making sure it stays firmly stuck on its own planet.

I see what you’re saying there about prohibition. So they did it. It’s largely considered a failed policy. Like weed laws are today.

My point is these people hate China so much they want to become China.

There’s no question that social media can be a dangerous influence on people’s lives, I’m just not going to tell them not to and I won’t be told not to. I choose not to.

Last edited:

Johnny boy

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
629%
May 9, 2017
Washington State
Ban banning things.

The very people you hate, who will gladly take all your freedoms away and send all capitalists to a death camp, LOVE that you don't give a shit about what happens to the culture of your homeland. The people are sheep, and if they are not being steered into a good place, someone else, likely your enemy, is steering them into a very bad place.

savefox

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
178%
Jun 15, 2022
I’m not going to give you your fairytale emotionally charged argument that TikTok is going to destroy civilization. It is hyperbolic and ridiculous.

Plus, you seem to think I care if the US exists or not. The US government is a bigger threat to my freedom than China is. China didn’t lock me down. China didn’t force our businesses to close their doors. Heavy handed authoritarian American democracy did which is exactly what banning an app is. It’s hypocrisy to simultaneously be pro-freedom and want to ban some app. You can’t have it both ways. You either care about freedom or you don’t.

Yes, I am aware of what Fox News tells people China shows on TikTok. I’m sure no American ever queued up a bunch of smut on their own. No American would ever do that.

And China, LOL, I’m sure there’s zero smut there whatsoever.

My TikTok, that I don’t even use, was full of business stuff, home improvement, and golf stuff because that’s what I decided to follow.

America banning TikTok “because China” is a very China move.
I might be wrong, but I don't think allowing people consume whatever they want is the answer. The suicide rates amongst teenagers are the highest they've ever been and social media is probably the main reason. I was addicted to that shit and felt absolutely miserable, and I just don't want other people to live like that. Shallow lives with a 5 second attention span. It is a drug and works just like it. See what happened to the west coast cities that decriminalized meth. It's really bad

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
I don’t think probation and TikTok are equal analogies.

Probation was mostly focused on adults, with an attempt to ban something that can be created and distributed locally. It was always going to be hard to enforce and people have been drinking forever.

TikTok is a mega platform corrupting the youth at an insane scale. But it’s easy to “pull the plug” and have most people stop using it right away.

It’s cool some of you guys have decent experiences on there but 99% of the young people using it aren’t watching business videos or enjoying intellectual content.

It’s pure trash. The worst of the worst.

To see its impact go find a page of someone under 25 who uses the app a lot. Look at the transition as they chase the trends and likes. You can see the rot in real-time.

I get the freedom angle but you have to have standards too. This stuff is programming people at mass to be absolute idiots.

Then add in on top the whole China data / communism angle and id consider it a no brainer to ban it. It should have already been done before it gained momentum.

It would be letting Joseph Goebbels have his own global youth radio station back in the day.

Mikkel

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
188%
Feb 25, 2016
New Hampshire
Generally, I am in the camp on @Kak in regard to letting people have the freedom to choose.

However, I think the question Freedom loving people should ask themselves is, what is freedom. To some, it means freedom to make stupid decisions, to get addicted and to allow your addiction control you, and freedom is to allow mental illiness control your life and let you believe the FBI is trying to abduct you(schizophrenia).

To others, Freedom is a bit more nuanced. Some would say that having someone manipulate you into doing what you think is your own free will, is not true freedom. For instance, being addicted to drugs that are so powerful that you are incapable of resisting more of the drug is not freedom but the exact opposite. The same rational could be said about social media. The design of certain platforms whether the intent is malicious or not, is using algorithms to control what you think and how you act.

Is that freedom, or is that manipulation?

The danger is the slippery slope of this logic. How does a society determine what is manipulation and what is freedom? The government could lead the public to believe certain legitament freedoms is not true freedom, which in term is the government just manipulating us to giving up our freedoms.

In regards to TikTok I read that the Chinese TikTok only allows educational content go viral while the US(western) version of TikTok only allows mind numbing dumb shit go viral. If true, that seems like manilulation and does concern me. I just din't know if I want the government to have that much power. Unfortubately the government already has insane amounts of power and banning TikTok is just a drop in the bucket.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
Y’all deserve what comes next. I was the consistently pro freedom ”a**hole” when Covid came to town too. People were also “unsure what freedom means" then too. I know what it is. I’ll still be me when you Bolsheviks come back to reality and act like you never left.

0F9BE00F-77AD-47A4-9E6D-C2548ACD05CF.jpeg

Last edited:

Private Witt

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
221%
Feb 20, 2018
Oklahoma
I See what happened to the west coast cities that decriminalized meth. It's really bad

I live in the reddest state in the country and meth zombies are everywhere, it's incredibly bad.

GPM

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
376%
Oct 25, 2012
Canada
It is up to PARENTS and communities to teach their children that this crap can be harmful, and how to use it to their advantage. It absolutely is NOT up to some power hungry government to teach your children.

For the record, I have never been on TikTok other than the odd guitar video a buddy sends me a link to from time to time.

The internet is full of amazing things, it is also full of lots of terrible things. Should the government ban the internet because we don't have the self discipline or the ability to teach our children what they should and should not do when on the internet? Book can be a powerful tool, they can also teach you hateful and harmful things, and fill your mind with poison. Should the government ban reading?

I am in the camp that TikTok is probably a terrible thing for society, but the government can still screw right off. I don't believe that they should even have the power to even be able to mull over the idea of banning a piece of technology like this. It should not even be up for discussion, because they should not even be able to do it.

piano

Trying to find the right notes
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
267%
Sep 21, 2022
Germany
That's not what TikTok was for me when I was on it a couple of months ago.

It figured out super quick that I like business and marketing content and showed me that.

Some of the TikTok accounts I followed were informative, inspirational, entertaining, and amassed hundreds of thousands of followers because of it. As they would on any video based platform.

I even posted somewhere that I found TikTok a breath of fresh air as it forced creators to get to the point and stop with the 5 minute intros.

Oh, and look how many youngsters can now naturally hop on a phone and express themselves? Compare that to earlier generations who can't get their message out because they can't get over themselves?

I'm not saying it's all good. These platforms make money by keeping people on for longer (whereas Google makes money when people leave so they want you to find results and leave - many times a day). I'm just saying it's not all funny dances, and even if it was, so what?
How old are you?
Of course you look like 22 ;) but Tiktok knows that you aren't.
What if you showed a grown a$$ man (you) a cringe underage girl dancing? He'd quit the app (unless he's a weirdo lol).
What if you showed a horny virgin teenager such a video? He'd smeer all over the floor and go on a horny rampage (what the F*ck did I just write).
Tiktok is smart enough to tell the difference...

Private Witt

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
221%
Feb 20, 2018
Oklahoma
How old are you?
Of course you look like 22 ;) but Tiktok knows that you aren't.
What if you showed a grown a$$ man (you) a cringe underage girl dancing? He'd quit the app (unless he's a weirdo lol).
What if you showed a horny virgin teenager such a video? He'd smeer all over the floor and go on a horny rampage (what the F*ck did I just write).
Tiktok is smart enough to tell the difference...

I've never been on Tik Tok, but this is good to know. My old a$$ will be getting shown the geezer content which just fine. Do they allow any type of cannabis content?

piano

Trying to find the right notes
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
267%
Sep 21, 2022
Germany
I've never been on Tik Tok, but this is good to know. My old a$$ will be getting shown the geezer content which just fine. Do they allow any type of cannabis content?
Lol I never used Tiktok myself so I can't 100% tell you that.
My theory would certainly make sense considering that Tiktok is insanely large and run by a whole a$$ government.
But it's just a theory...

David Fitz

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
216%
Jan 30, 2020
Ireland
I think it's the worst social media app. My IQ dropped after having it on my phone for one day. I deleted it and have never downloaded it again.

I heard that in China they show their kids educational content. In the West, they show kids the entertaining videos like dances, pranks and people acting the clown.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.