The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

TikTok May Be BANNED In The US

Marketing, social media, advertising

nitigyagarg

PARKED
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Dec 20, 2022
If it does get banned, e-commerce owners will have to find a new way to advertise in the platform.

In terms of Social Media. I was never a big fan of it to be honest.

It honestly would impact my life haha. I honestly don’t pay much attention to what’s going on in the US Government, if it impacts my life in terms of health or working and having to choose between the two like they did in COVID is when I’ll take action.

To which I will vote in 2024.
So true! Don't know about US but it got banned in my country and e-commerce literally paved its way through different apps and well more users of snap or instagram.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Jadus

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
127%
Jul 21, 2020
Thailand
This app is a weaponized trojan horse that has proven spyware capabilities built-in and is also used to destroy whatever is left of gen-z's attention span.

This is not "entertainment", this is cyber warfare.
What is your informational source for "Proven spyware capabilities"? I don't know about Android phones but I have an iPhone and I don't think Apple is going to allow something like that on their app store. Besides, with an iPhone you have all kinds of options for giving apps permissions.

Also, what secrets is China going to find out from the average user? I've worked in high-security government facilities before. You can't even take your phone inside, so it's just not an issue.

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
What is your informational source for "Proven spyware capabilities"?

Their own terms of service.

---

Information You Provide

• Profile Information. We collect information that you provide when you set up an account, such as your date of birth, username, email address and/or telephone number, and password. You can add other information to your profile, such as a bio or a profile photo.
  • User Content. We collect the content you create or publish through the Platform, such as photographs, videos, audio recordings, livestreams, and comments, and the associated metadata (such as when, where, and by whom the content was created). Even if you are not a user, information about you may appear in content created or published by users on the Platform. We collect User Content through pre-loading at the time of creation, import, or upload, regardless of whether you choose to save or upload that User Content, for example, to recommend music based on the video. We also collect content (such as text, images, and video) from your device's clipboard if you choose to copy and paste content to or from the Platform or share content between it and a third party platform. In addition, we collect location information (such as tourist attractions, shops, or other points of interest) if you choose to add the location information to your User Content.
  • Direct Messages. If you communicate with others using direct messages, we collect the content of the message and the associated metadata (such as the time the message was sent, received and/or read, as well as the participants in the communication). We do this to block spam, detect crime, and to safeguard our users.
  • Your Contacts. If you choose to import your contacts, we will collect information from your device’s phone book or your social media contacts. We use this information to help you make connections, including when you are using our “Find Friends” function and to suggest accounts to you.
  • Purchase Information. We collect your payment card information or other third-party payment information (such as PayPal) where payment is required. We also collect your transaction and purchase history.
  • Surveys, Research, and Promotions. We collect information you provide if you choose to participate in a survey, research, promotion, contest, marketing campaign, or event conducted or sponsored by us.
  • Information When You Contact Us. When you contact us, we collect the information you send us, such as proof of identity or age, feedback or inquiries about your use of the Platform or information about possible violations of our Terms of Service (our “Terms”), Community Guidelines (our “Guidelines”), or other policies.

Automatically Collected Information

• Technical Information. We collect certain device and network connection information when you access the Platform. This information includes your device model, operating system, keystroke patterns or rhythms, IP address, and system language. We also collect service-related, diagnostic, and performance information, including crash reports and performance logs. We automatically assign you a device ID and user ID. Where you log-in from multiple devices, we use information such as your device ID and user ID to identify your activity across devices to give you a seamless log-in experience and for security purposes.
  • Location Information. We automatically collect information about your approximate location (e.g. country, state, or city) based on your Technical Information (such as SIM card and IP address). Also, where you enable Location Services for the TikTok app within your device settings, we collect approximate location information from your device. Click here to learn more about how we collect Location Information.
  • Usage Information. We collect information about how you engage with the Platform, including information about the content you view, the duration and frequency of your use, your engagement with other users, your search history and your settings.
  • Content Characteristics and Features. We detect and collect characteristics and features about the videos, images, and audio recordings that are part of your User Content, for example, by identifying objects and scenery, the existence or location within an image of a face or other body parts; and the text of words spoken in your User Content. We do this, for example, for content moderation and to provide special effects (such as video filters and avatars) and captions.
  • Inferred Information. We infer your attributes (such as age-range and gender) and interests based on the information we have about you. We use inferences, for example, to keep the Platform safe, for content moderation and, where permitted, to serve you personalised ads based on your interests.
  • Cookies. We use cookies and similar tracking technologies to operate and provide the Platform. For example, we use cookies to remember your language preferences, make sure you don’t see the same video more than once, and for security purposes. We also use these technologies for marketing purposes. To learn more about our use of cookies, please see our Web Cookies Policy and Platform Cookies Policy. We will obtain your consent to our use of cookies where required by law.

Information From Other Sources

• Advertising, Measurement and Data Partners. Advertisers, measurement and data partners share information with us such as mobile identifiers for advertising, hashed email addresses, and event information about the actions you’ve taken outside of the Platform. Some of our advertisers and other partners enable us to collect similar information directly from their website or app by integrating our TikTok Advertiser Tools (such as TikTok Pixel).
  • Third Party Platforms and Partners. Third party platforms provide us with information (such as your email address, user ID, and public profile) when you choose to sign up for or log in to the Platform using sign-in features provided by those third parties. We may also receive contact information that you hold or is held about you when contact information is synced with our Platform by you or another user. When you interact with any third party service (such as third party apps, websites or products) that integrate TikTok Developer Tools, we will receive the information necessary to provide you with features like cross-service authentication or cross-posting. For example, this will happen if you log in to another platform with your TikTok account or if you use TikTok’s “share” button on a third party platform to share content from there to the Platform.
  • Others. We may receive information about you from others, for example, where you are included or mentioned in User Content, Direct Messages, in a complaint, appeal, request or feedback submitted by a user or third party, or if your contact information is provided to us by a user.

Jadus

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
127%
Jul 21, 2020
Thailand
Their own terms of service.

---

Information You Provide

• Profile Information. We collect information that you provide when you set up an account, such as your date of birth, username, email address and/or telephone number, and password. You can add other information to your profile, such as a bio or a profile photo.
  • User Content. We collect the content you create or publish through the Platform, such as photographs, videos, audio recordings, livestreams, and comments, and the associated metadata (such as when, where, and by whom the content was created). Even if you are not a user, information about you may appear in content created or published by users on the Platform. We collect User Content through pre-loading at the time of creation, import, or upload, regardless of whether you choose to save or upload that User Content, for example, to recommend music based on the video. We also collect content (such as text, images, and video) from your device's clipboard if you choose to copy and paste content to or from the Platform or share content between it and a third party platform. In addition, we collect location information (such as tourist attractions, shops, or other points of interest) if you choose to add the location information to your User Content.
  • Direct Messages. If you communicate with others using direct messages, we collect the content of the message and the associated metadata (such as the time the message was sent, received and/or read, as well as the participants in the communication). We do this to block spam, detect crime, and to safeguard our users.
  • Your Contacts. If you choose to import your contacts, we will collect information from your device’s phone book or your social media contacts. We use this information to help you make connections, including when you are using our “Find Friends” function and to suggest accounts to you.
  • Purchase Information. We collect your payment card information or other third-party payment information (such as PayPal) where payment is required. We also collect your transaction and purchase history.
  • Surveys, Research, and Promotions. We collect information you provide if you choose to participate in a survey, research, promotion, contest, marketing campaign, or event conducted or sponsored by us.
  • Information When You Contact Us. When you contact us, we collect the information you send us, such as proof of identity or age, feedback or inquiries about your use of the Platform or information about possible violations of our Terms of Service (our “Terms”), Community Guidelines (our “Guidelines”), or other policies.

Automatically Collected Information

• Technical Information. We collect certain device and network connection information when you access the Platform. This information includes your device model, operating system, keystroke patterns or rhythms, IP address, and system language. We also collect service-related, diagnostic, and performance information, including crash reports and performance logs. We automatically assign you a device ID and user ID. Where you log-in from multiple devices, we use information such as your device ID and user ID to identify your activity across devices to give you a seamless log-in experience and for security purposes.
  • Location Information. We automatically collect information about your approximate location (e.g. country, state, or city) based on your Technical Information (such as SIM card and IP address). Also, where you enable Location Services for the TikTok app within your device settings, we collect approximate location information from your device. Click here to learn more about how we collect Location Information.
  • Usage Information. We collect information about how you engage with the Platform, including information about the content you view, the duration and frequency of your use, your engagement with other users, your search history and your settings.
  • Content Characteristics and Features. We detect and collect characteristics and features about the videos, images, and audio recordings that are part of your User Content, for example, by identifying objects and scenery, the existence or location within an image of a face or other body parts; and the text of words spoken in your User Content. We do this, for example, for content moderation and to provide special effects (such as video filters and avatars) and captions.
  • Inferred Information. We infer your attributes (such as age-range and gender) and interests based on the information we have about you. We use inferences, for example, to keep the Platform safe, for content moderation and, where permitted, to serve you personalised ads based on your interests.
  • Cookies. We use cookies and similar tracking technologies to operate and provide the Platform. For example, we use cookies to remember your language preferences, make sure you don’t see the same video more than once, and for security purposes. We also use these technologies for marketing purposes. To learn more about our use of cookies, please see our Web Cookies Policy and Platform Cookies Policy. We will obtain your consent to our use of cookies where required by law.

Information From Other Sources

• Advertising, Measurement and Data Partners. Advertisers, measurement and data partners share information with us such as mobile identifiers for advertising, hashed email addresses, and event information about the actions you’ve taken outside of the Platform. Some of our advertisers and other partners enable us to collect similar information directly from their website or app by integrating our TikTok Advertiser Tools (such as TikTok Pixel).
  • Third Party Platforms and Partners. Third party platforms provide us with information (such as your email address, user ID, and public profile) when you choose to sign up for or log in to the Platform using sign-in features provided by those third parties. We may also receive contact information that you hold or is held about you when contact information is synced with our Platform by you or another user. When you interact with any third party service (such as third party apps, websites or products) that integrate TikTok Developer Tools, we will receive the information necessary to provide you with features like cross-service authentication or cross-posting. For example, this will happen if you log in to another platform with your TikTok account or if you use TikTok’s “share” button on a third party platform to share content from there to the Platform.
  • Others. We may receive information about you from others, for example, where you are included or mentioned in User Content, Direct Messages, in a complaint, appeal, request or feedback submitted by a user or third party, or if your contact information is provided to us by a user.
It reads pretty much the same as a lot of other TOS. I have a lot of it in my own eCommerce TOS. I have a TikTok account and gave them literally nothing as personally identifying information. Like I said, most things are optional. It's optional to use it and much of the data that they collect is optional.

Xeon

All Cars Kneel Before Pagani.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Sep 3, 2017
Singapore
Said I'd give this app another go.

Downloaded it and it asked me what I'd like to see. I said educational and health and fitness.

The first 20 or so videos were like a freak show. Watching overweight women dancing, one woman was so fat she had a front bum. Other videos were people with disabilities dancing. Then another was of ah Irish traveller calling out other Irish travellers.

Deleted. Never again.

That's strange. Maybe it's something about your location. Or you can train the algorithm real fast by searching for the topics you're interested in, watching a few of those, give some likes and saves, and your FYP will be full of videos of similar or adjacent topics the next time you load the app.

what secrets is China going to find out from the average user?

The Chinese President and their officials want to know what food the average American is eating daily. All these data gets sent to their military logistics wing, and it'll be used against the Americans in war.

Roli

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
Jun 3, 2015
I see what you’re saying there about prohibition. So they did it. It’s largely considered a failed policy. Like weed laws are today.

My point is these people hate China so much they want to become China.

There’s no question that social media can be a dangerous influence on people’s lives, I’m just not going to tell them not to and I won’t be told not to. I choose not to.

It's an admirable position to take, but also idealistic.

Not banning something that's dangerous leads to the opioid problem you guys have in America. You account for less than 5% of world population, yet consume 80% of the world's opioids and that is a big problem for the US.

It happened because people tried to apply free market economics to substances like fentanyl which should definitely not be as readily available as it is.

It's all well and good saying "I'm responsible enough to know how to use {insert topic here] so don't ban it."

But the point is society doesn't work like that, I'm fine to drive after drinking three pints, does that mean we should get rid of drink-drive laws?

Banning things and making up laws to restrict activities is as old as society itself. Of course these things can be taken to extremes, like how you can't legally buy a Kinder Egg in America but you can an AR15.

So I suppose it boils down to who is policing the "banning" and do we trust them, which I guess is a whole other topic.

I for one agree with it, I think it is being used to feed nonsensical ideas into American and British societies, like ridiculous debates on whether the Earth is flat or if women have penises. These idiotic premises have very real consequences in our day-to-day lives and will one day halt all intellectual progress and we'll be living on a planet whereby anyone with an IQ over 90 will be considered a genius.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Said I'd give this app another go.

Downloaded it and it asked me what I'd like to see. I said educational and health and fitness.

The first 20 or so videos were like a freak show. Watching overweight women dancing, one woman was so fat she had a front bum. Other videos were people with disabilities dancing. Then another was of ah Irish traveller calling out other Irish travellers.

Deleted. Never again.
You need to train it a bit. I don't see any dancing. Mind you, I've deleted the app off my phone as well now. I'm not producing videos at the mo so there's no need for me to be on it.

Xeon

Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Sep 3, 2017
Singapore
You need to train it a bit. I don't see any dancing. Mind you, I've deleted the app off my phone as well now. I'm not producing videos at the mo so there's no need for me to be on it.

Weren't you getting some traction previously? Why the sudden change in direction?

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Weren't you getting some traction previously? Why the sudden change in direction?
I got an eye infection so waited for that to clear before starting back. Then got an eye infection in the other eye. Doh.

They've mostly cleared up but there's a couple of wee marks on the eyelids that haven't gone.

In the meantime I got a bit too busy with client work (posting the videos to LinkedIn reminded a few people of me and they reached out and became clients).

I wasn't entirely happy with the videos I was posting. They were scripted and lost my natural way of presenting even though I got good feedback on them.

What appealed most about creating videos was them being like a time capsule for my kids. The scripted videos weren't really "me" though.

Also, I don't particularly want to build a personal brand or be on a content treadmill. I'd rather run ads and use my media buying skills to grow email lists and newsletters and have it nothing to do with my face. I'll have a go at that first and leave the videos for a bit.

David Fitz

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
216%
Jan 30, 2020
Ireland

Thing is, I couldn't train it because it wasn't showing me any videos I wanted to see. It kept showing me a lot of local videos around Limerick and people dancing.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland

ruzara5

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
104%
May 1, 2011
Currently in Washington State
Do you think the goverment will end up banning TikTok in the US? If so, when & what will take its place?

I imagine Vine (via Twitter) would take its place

Wonder what this would do to all the TikTok Agencies out there...

Well. Let's just make a next level tiktok that bypasses china servers?? Keep the data from being sifted. Just a thought.

ZackerySprague

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
Jun 26, 2021
Fort Worth, Texas
If it goes, it goes. The platform never bothered me one bit. Though I will say this, what will society do if the app goes? All of that time wasted on flipping video's. Better for marketing of course and promoting products/services, but bad for the consumer wasting precious time.

Also sounds like they collect a lot of data just after reading what Rob posted yikes. As my specialization is in Cybersecurity, data is king and collection of it is very important. As much as I love Tech, Cybersecurity though frustrates me a bit. It's always a cat and mouse game that never ends. Your privacy and data are very important, but to think that you can wipe yourself off the board so easily is not so achievable. You still need to give information when applying for credit cards, purchasing a home or a car, using a service of some kinds, what you post as content, everything is data and it was once believed that it was more valuable than oil itself as a currency. It will be almost impossible to remove yourself. Hackers usually have several motives that are important to them:

1. Money
2. Cybercrime or Destruction
3. Hacking for a social causes to help the human population in some way.
4. Attacking against a company for some reason.

Funny story, Cybersecurity became so huge or exploded when Trump went into presidency in 2016. Their was a documentary on Netflix that helped explain data better because of what a company did called Cambridge Analytics that used Facebook's Data on profiles to try and overturn centered people's views towards his campaign against Hilary. Quite an interesting story! But just goes to show how dangerous it could be if a lot of data gets into the hands of the wrong people. Or how good it can be used if it's in the right hands.

But hey that's how advertising platforms are used as well. Their ecosystems that are built/made for data collection and then us invite advertisers to market their products and services. Thus gives the company huge amounts of capital to deployed among their organization.

Makes you wonder what TikTok will do with that amount of data and how fast they can push content that has the potential to swing the entire populous into certain directions.

Xeon

Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Sep 3, 2017
Singapore
Well. Let's just make a next level tiktok that bypasses china servers?? Keep the data from being sifted. Just a thought.

Yup, and the data of this next level TT will end up in the hands of the US gov, which has far more jurisdiction over the Americans and other countries more than China has?

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
Yup, and the data of this next level TT will end up in the hands of the US gov, which has far more jurisdiction over the Americans and other countries more than China has?
“I oNly waNT aMURICA tO brAiNwAsH aNd mOniToR mE. CUz tHatS fReeDOm” :rofl:

7B7CD936-B07E-410F-954F-F424C31A820F.jpeg

Last edited:

Guyfieri5

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
Jul 13, 2019
Raleigh, North Carolina

Guyfieri5

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
Jul 13, 2019
Raleigh, North Carolina
I just don't see any accountability being served to the parents that allow their youth on these services. I also don't think we should absolve any blame on the part of the influencers who put out this trash content. I think it is a quick fix with obvious negative legal implications in the future for the free market to ban a service on the grounds of it being pure trash or bad for the youth as some of you have said. Both are vague and subjective claims. If there is solid/indisputable evidence that China is using this service as a trojan horse to gather information on Americans, I think that is a solid argument worth considering. It is our government's duty to protect our national security from foreign governments. But any service is possibly going to have a negative externality attached to it, that is the necessary evil inherent in a free market. We can't always control what people do with the things we create. At the end of the day it is our responsibility as individuals to make the right choices, not the government's.

Guyfieri5

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
Jul 13, 2019
Raleigh, North Carolina
Lots of great content on TikTok. I like how videos aren't full of fluff like so many on YouTube. Lots of consumers appreciate content that gets to the damn point already.

TikTok can be a great platform for us producers too.

Why do we as entrepreneurial types want it banned again?
I agree, I think TikTok is a cool concept. Outside of the possibility of a legitimate national security concern, I'm also at a loss as to why it should be banned.

MTEE1985

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
425%
Jun 12, 2018
Arizona
Y’all deserve what comes next. I was the consistently pro freedom ”a**hole” when Covid came to town too. People were also “unsure what freedom means" then too. I know what it is. I’ll still be me when you Bolsheviks come back to reality and act like you never left.

View attachment 46424

I commend your restraint in not using your signature “bootlickers” catch phrase. Bolsheviks shows the refinement in your craft :rofl:

Last edited:

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
The notion that the a$$ shaking, 70 IQ, Gen z TikTok “stars” are going to reveal “important national security secrets” to “our enemies” is laughable.

Please.

GPM

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
377%
Oct 25, 2012
Canada
The notion that the a$$ shaking, 70 IQ, Gen z TikTok “stars” are going to reveal “important national security secrets” to “our enemies” is laughable.

Please.
I think it's more along the lines of making the population too stupid to function.

Plus that other guy who said they want to know what the average person eats, that could be lethal if it ever came down to an attack against USA. Destroying said foods, or tampering with them.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
I think it's more along the lines of making the population too stupid to function.

American public schools and propagandized mass poisoning already did that.

Last edited:

Rangermac2

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
103%
Jun 1, 2020
Tennessee
This app is a weaponized trojan horse that has proven spyware capabilities built-in and is also used to destroy whatever is left of gen-z's attention span.

This is not "entertainment", this is cyber warfare.
The attention span part is awful, I'm part of Gen Z and I've got friends who's attention spans are terrible. There is no way to dedicate themselves to short or long term goals. Furthermore, its a productivity destroyer and time waster more than anything. I speculate it is addictive for people at schools is due to the boring environment of a school so instead of entertaining themselves through drawing or talking to friends, it's far easier for students to grab their phones and watch Tiktoks, Instagram reels, (Insert almost any social media), etc. It would also be more rewarding compared to drawing or talking with friends because it is 10-100xs more stimulating and entertaining.

It needs to go, I deleted it - I would delete all my social media if I didn't use it for the networking aspect and dependence a lot of friends have whether for Instagram or Snapchat. I would give it maybe another year, but something else will fill its place; its a huge power vacuum to fill that could be highly rewarding for any social media platform with a similar feature.

Not to mention some of the trends that are completely menacing. The bathrooms were completely trashed and destroyed, kids stealing soap dispensers and other stuff for the "devious lick" challenge which is theft. The only trend I support was when the barbers of my school were giving out haircuts in the bathroom, that was funny and some of them truly wanted to be professional barbers - some of them were probably good too. But in reality people are clout chasing and are willing to do anything to get 53 likes and a comment.

Grading scales have been shifted, many colleges/universities no longer require standardized testing such as ACT/SAT, state managed tests/benchmarks and other tests to check student progress which I could say was an affect from tiktok and its imitations considering this was not a problem until the last 2-3 years.

Social media is an amazing tool for marketing and has accelerated many people's businesses, endeavors, and public voice. But the negative impacts that have emerged from social media especially from tiktok are detrimental to our future. One of my friends sent a post of some 8-10 year old kid playing fortnite on his nintendo switch while watching a tiktok compilation on youtube - its gotten so far that kids can't load into the lobby without losing attention and focus.

Skroob

Entrepreneur // Mobile Application Developer
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
282%
Feb 18, 2022
Jacksonville, FL

Please.
It’s not the people making the content, it’s all the skeevy pervs in Epstein’s book that are watching that have all the stuff worth stealing.

That said, I read the Constitution twice just to make sure, but it doesn’t say anywhere that the federal government has the authority to ban thot apps…

Jadus

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
127%
Jul 21, 2020
Thailand
A good percentage of the population doesn't need any help in that regard.

heavy_industry

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
555%
Apr 17, 2022
instead of entertaining themselves through drawing or talking to friends, it's far easier for students to grab their phones and watch Tiktoks, Instagram reels, (Insert almost any social media), etc.
It's a tragedy to waste your youth doing this.

A lot of these kids will develop major psychological issues later in life. Not only they are missing out on socializing, but they learn to become mindless consumers running like hamsters on a wheel for the next dopamine hit. And then we wonder why is the suicide rate so high amongst young people.

When I was in school, we were heavily involved in online gaming, but it was very social because we were playing very competitively and then talked with each other non-stop about our progress in the game.

I think the only way to undo the damage made by social media to this generation is to put a lot of emphasis on team sports. Teach kids how to cooperate, compete, work hard and win.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland

A lot of these kids will develop major psychological issues later in life. Not only they are missing out on socializing, but they learn to become mindless consumers running like hamsters on a wheel for the next dopamine hit. And then we wonder why is the suicide rate so high amongst young people.

When I was in school, we were heavily involved in online gaming, but it was very social because we were playing very competitively and then talked with each other non-stop about our progress in the game.

I think the only way to undo the damage made by social media to this generation is to put a lot of emphasis on team sports. Teach kids how to cooperate, compete, work hard and win.
I personally don't mind TikTok etc. I just remove them from my phone if I feel I'm consuming too much.

What it does to developing brains and those who don't know better is a concern for me. Enough that our kids aren't on social media, and that we try to stop them watching TikTok compilation videos on YouTube. I don't think it's a reason to ban the app, and don't think that would stop other apps from posting short videos designed to attract attention. It's almost like banning smartphones because people pick them up the moment they wake up and use them when waiting in line so they make use of that "dead time".

I think educating parents and kids on the harms of mindless consumption would help.

Rangermac2

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
103%
Jun 1, 2020
Tennessee

It is very terrible. Many kids I know would rather sit on tiktok than do their class work then complain that they didn't have time to do it because of their procrastination. This increases their anxiety and stress rates and some of these exact kids are the ones that have to go to the counselor every few days to week and have mental wellness check ups and talking sessions.

It seems harmless enough but some of the most harmful things are the ones that are undermined.
I agree that sports with collaboration are extremely important. Since people are sitting around and health for Americans has been on a decline besides the rise in popularity of going to the gym it is crucial that young Americans engrain physical exercise into their habits and routines, I certainly do. Even if the sport is really competitive and focused there is still fun to be had and that is an important part of development.

I probably sound like some old man but in truth I recognize the repercussions and understand it can't be good.

Edit: Within the last 2 years, I've seen some other classmates even go onto behavioral orienting medicine which I have no proof why but my hypothesis is presented in my argument against tiktok. Of course kids will be anxious and stressed and tired and unfocused, and socially deficient to where they will need behavioral controlling medicines. My Doctor emphasizes I spend no more than 1 hour on my screen and I trust him. I sleep better when I don't use my phone as much and I feel more focused and less awkward. He explained that our brains actively try to make neural connections and when we put information into our brains along with the blue light these neural connections can't handle it and just proceed to die. So what happens is people lose enough of these and they become socially and mentally deficient to where they're basically able to do the bare minimum.

I noticed that with the decline in these social skills has also become the decline of confidence and being able to achieve goals and desires. I have friends who have complete fear to talk to girls, acting extremely awkward because they lack social skills. While it could be personality and just basic fears, it seems that we have become so sedentary and comfortable that we have forgotten how to exist in discomfort and solve our problems we face.

Now I think my opinion in my last 2 statements have been more focused on the broad usage of technology but tiktok is an incentive to utilize our phones.

Last edited:

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
Hey all you bootlicking Bolsheviks!

Just going to post the new food pyramid published by the same government you are encouraging to ban stuff.

Seems smart! Trust the government!
62BE0775-7A94-49B0-8C1E-7BA1A4DB0531.jpeg

heavy_industry

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
555%
Apr 17, 2022
Hey all you bootlicking Bolsheviks!

Just going to post the new food pyramid published by the same government you are encouraging to ban stuff.

Seems smart! Trust the government!
View attachment 46782
Ah yes, the diabetes pyramid!

Great for your health and wellbeing! *

* if you are in the business of selling sugar or pharmaceuticals

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.