The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

This scares the hell out of me !

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
Ahhh! RussH

Russ, I'm working in the same world as you - everyday, In fact I'm dealing with the downside - foreclosures - etc.

I do choose my words carefully as you say - When I PEEK over the hedges - I'm looking at our society as a whole. To use a quote from a few years ago " Let me make this perfectly clear" I am not asking WHAT you or other fastlaners are doing or going to do - or what other people should do.

Here are 3 senerios:

1. We have several IT members of this forum, they have stated that their income is maybe $30,000 less than a few years ago. + $30,000

2. The attorney that I have used as an example is a middle aged man who was downsized out the front door. Not a young student working to pay his college bills. His pay at Walmart is approx. $20,000 his old salary was maybe $70,000 + $50,000

3. I have several medical people in my family. One is a ER doctor. 3 years ago he made $325,000 a year. The hospitals changed how they do things and he the other ER docs now make $225,000 a year + $100,000

These are 3 people that now have lost $180,000 - Just 3 people. That $180,000 will not be spent - saved - invested or paid taxes on.

This will affect us - ALL of us.

Just read a article regarding Food Stamps. 50% of all children in the US will be on food stamps sometime before they are 21. 90% of black children will be on food stamps --- This is America. Something is wrong!

It's a great idea to put links to your articles (I added it above).

I would question this data. As an ex-med student, one of the exercises in our statistics class was to take a study from one of the 3 largest Medical Magazines (JAMA, NEJM, or Lancet) and show that the stats were flawed. Sadly, this was easy, as many of the articles had small or even serious errors in their stats, which made the conclusions inaccurate.

Peer review does not help-- as your peers are also not statisticians, and cannot find the errors! :smx8:

You have chosen 3 people who have lost their jobs or had their incomes reduced. We are in a recession. Unemployment is close to 10%-- the highest in decades. So I don't find any of your figures shocking.

There are only 2 statements you have made in your last post that I *do* find confusing:

. . . I'm working in the same world as you - everyday. Let me make this perfectly clear: I am not asking WHAT you or other fastlaners are doing or going to do - or what other people should do.

So . . . if you're not asking what WE are doing, or what the other 90% are doing, what the heck *are* you asking?

Something is wrong!

Yes, we have a recession going on. It aint pretty. And most of the folks on the fastlane are adjusting their PLANs with a critical eye towards change and how to manage-- and profit from-- what's happening.

This is as it's always been: Entrepreneurs look at how to profit from what is happening, or what will happen.

And the rest of society?

As Runum says, they watch the news, complain to their friends, and life goes on. They still have families, buy food, drive their cars, vote, hang w/their friends, make their mortgage payments, work (or try to get hired if they get fired, like your Walmart example*), etc.

They spend less because they *have* less. Or, if they have the same amount, some of them are saving more (the saving rate has gone up this past year).

To these people, doing the same things but making it happen w/less $$$ is a BIG change for them.

Most of them would never even consider thinking outside of the box-- becoming more fastlane, or reducing their expenses by radical changes in their lifestyles.

They would rather just watch TV, and sigh, and lament the overall sad state of the world . . .

(again, I'm not saying these actions are good or bad-- people do what people do.)

-Russ H.

*now that you tell me he's a middle aged man, I'd guess one of the reasons he chose Walmart for their group health care-- he may have had pre-existing conditions-- I don't know

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
Cat Man Du,

I think the most revealing thing here is that we all "get" what you're saying:

1. The US (and the entire world) is in recession. Income/jobs are down. Unemployment is up.

2. You can't see how the rest of society is going to correct--or even handle-- this.

3. You are scared by the combination of #1 and #2.

Am I scared?

Perhaps scared is not the word.

I'm going to roll w/the changes, just as I always do.

And I would not expect the vast majority of the US-- or the world-- to radically change their ways, so I would expect we'll dig out of this recession s-l-o-w-l-y.

If we have any truly radical events, again, our family will look at the situation, and figure out our next move.

Perhaps a story would help:

I met my wife the week of 9/11. The two of us bonded, in part, because while everyone around us was freaking out, or adjusting to changes in their world view, for us-- things had not changed that much.

My wife's dad and brother are/were both firefighters. So her entire life, she's lived with the fact that, any day, one or both of them could be gone forever.

And I'd traveled the world since I was a kid. I knew, in my heart, that everywhere I went, I took a risk. I could be sitting at a small cafe in Paris, or Budapest, or Rome-- and have it go "BOOM!" w/a terrorist attack.

I knew this, and yet I still traveled.

I still do. And my family will also travel.

No, we won't go into hot spots.

But we'll travel w/the knowledge that anything could happen-- at any time.

That's precisely why the world does *not* scare the hell out of us.

-Russ H.

throttleforward

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
278%
Oct 30, 2009
Washington DC
Remember that the economy is essentially an exchange of goods and services, both in terms of materials (goods) and time (services).

Many slowlaners believe that the economy is a system where rich, powerful, monolithic people (or governments) provide jobs to individuals who went to school for a particular reason. The only way they know how to receive money (which is essentially a representation of the worth of someone elses time or material) is in exchange for their own time (i.e. a salary or an hourly wage). Therefore, when the powers that be no longer want to pay for an individual's services and they therefore lay them off, slowlaners respond only by thinking "who else will pay for my time". That isn't how the entire economy works, and fastlaners know that. Also, don't distinguish between employee and employer when thinking about who is doing the slowlane thinking - the person who owns a small business, has not adapted or ventured into new avenues of business, and is now out of business was probably engaged in slowlane, linear, non-creative thinking (or they complained that any nessesary changes were too hard).

Fastlaners know that at a very basic level (without getting into exchanges, fiat currency, etc), that the money that was once flowing and "making" the economy "great" is still somewhere, controlled by someone or something (meaning that in general it didn't just disappear, although some could argue that there was no actual money being exchanged in places like Wall St., which was initially fueling this latest recession, but I digress). That someone or something has needs and desires that others can provide for or service. If it is a government that has the resources, then fastlaners know that if they can provide a service or good that the government feels it needs or wants (weapons, energy security, etc) then their wealth will grow. If the focus is people experincing a recession, fastlaners are able to figure out what those people need (before they desired meaningless material possessions, now they NEED things like financial help, skills, ways to save money, etc), and they position themselves to provide those goods or services. Fastlaners know that SOMEONE SOMEWHERE has the money, and they know how to position themselves to get that money.

So what ultimatly happens? Why are recessions scary for some and not others? Slowlaners get nervous because the status quo, the "go to school/get a job/advance" model is demonstrated to be flawed, and they have either no desire or no knowledge to be able to think outside of that paradigm. Therefore, no matter how well positioned they are to create their own economies and their own wealth, they will always think in terms of asking someone to exchange money for their time (get a job). They don't think in terms of creating a job.

Fastlaners are the opposite - they think in terms of job creation. They know that there are opportunities to create wealth. They know that while their first idea might not work, or their second idea has too many barriers to entry, that there is SOMETHING SOMEWHERE that can be done to create wealth. Through that effort, many fastlaners become employers, and ultimately that is what pulls people and nations out of recession.

Cat Man Du

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Jul 30, 2007
Sadly, I think Runum hit the nail on the head on every point regarding what the 90% will do.

But I don't understand why Cat Man Du is so concerned about what the 90% are going to do. Like RussH and Runum have been trying to say, focus on what you can do.

Remember that we are part of the " herd " - what affects the 90% - WILL affect us. Even though we are ahead of the curve - Like a stampede we will be carried along to some degree.

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
Remember that we are part of the " herd " - what affects the 90% - WILL affect us. Even though we are ahead of the curve - Like a stampede we will be carried along to some degree.

Part of being a successful entrepreneur is watching the "herd" and looking for signs of where it's going.

But also part of being a successful entrepreneur is knowing how NOT to be part of the herd.

To me, there's a great difference

Between DRIVING the herd

and just being PART of the herd.

-Russ H.

(I think that's what this thread has been about: Leading vs following, charting your own course vs being carried along by the current)

kwerner

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
19%
Oct 4, 2007
I definitely don't want to be a part of the herd. The herd usually ends up at the meat processing plant.
:smx8:

Runum

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Aug 8, 2007
DFW, Texas
I will confess that I used to be right in the center of the herd. I run with a different group now than the 90% you are talking about. I agree I will be affected by the masses but I won't be affected the same way they will be. Planning, preparation, education, and the ability to adjust. As I've said, been on that side, this is a much better place.:cheers:

unicon

Contributor
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
27%
Feb 23, 2008
When reality hits everyone must go back to fundamentals and fundamentals are food, shelter, energy, etc.

Is there a world shortage of these fundamentals? Is there a domestic shortage of these fundamentals? I think not.

Is there a vacuum of competance in the world and domestically? Is the government taking all the resources from the private sector which could be labeled a behavioral problem?

The worst that can happen is that I revert to my youth and drive off in the sunset in my van (shelter) and work for food? Thats not scary in fact might be fun, however a cultural behavioral problem with increasing systematic power grabs of the non-productive government buying people off through entitlement is scary.

The behavioral problem is the true problem which goes down the exact path of destroying property rights and freedom.

"Community is the salvation of the world" quoting Peck. This forum is an example of a community. Real information is all good and the computer has naturally revolutionized the qualtiy, speed, and cost of information. The information explosion counteracts this behavioral problem, but when the behavioral problems have no shame it polarizes. In truth resistance is futile in long term, so the prognosis is good.

Cash flow and excess cash tend to solve alot of problems in business and personally so it is naturally a priority focus. The behavioral problem is the ignoring this priority and reality. The government has been ignoring the reality of this for years. It is not a new problem. The source of the government cash flow is the private sector and the behavior problem is that the govenment comes first at the expense of the private sector when paradoxically the private sector is the way out.

Individuals preparing for this would have been increasing the certainty in cash flow, reducing debt, curbing expansion, protecting assets, and having the basics (fundamentals) of food and shelter extra secure for the hardest of times.

Any growth in this period would be accenting quality over volume. This may not seem fastlane in the short term but would be the optimum control of time in the long term which could be leveraged in the future in a turnaround. Quality by the way is "Hard Work" there is no slacking or short cuts (that reality is over).

Example is that my own individual planning had provided for substantial positioning in raw land in a secure location for the possible need of growing quality food if that would become necessary. Just one part of the overall plan.

These fundamentals will be part of anyones new fastlane during the next few years.
Everyone faces doubt at different times but your hard reality is what is refreshing as there is no illusion there, focus is clear, etc. I have had a virtual disertion of tenant interest in the last 3 months, indicating the tough times and readjustment is in its infancy.

Cat Man Du

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Jul 30, 2007
"Just read a article regarding Food Stamps. 50% of all children in the US will be on food stamps sometime before they are 21. 90% of black children will be on food stamps --- This is America. Something is wrong!
It's a great idea to put links to your articles (I added it above). "

Thanks Russ, forgot where I read it. But Russ - what if the stat's are correct or even off by 5 - 10%. What do you think then???

Runum

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Aug 8, 2007
DFW, Texas
Do you guy's think this is worse than it was in the early 80's

Welcome newby. Good question. I think it would all depend on your location and perspective. I don't think things are as bad as they were in the late 70's. I remember the malaise we were in. Long gas lines, gas rationing, odd/even days, stagflation, wage freezes. I was just graduating HS during the time. I didn't pay much attention to the news. Too busy working 50-60 hours a week at crappy jobs, partying, and racing. Never missed a meal.

Then came the 80's with 18-20% mortgage rates. The oil industry was hit hard in Houston around 1982. All the guys from up north moved down here and the crap hit the fan. Unemployment shot up, morale tanked. All my friends got laid off. Not me, I kept working crappy jobs, partying, and racing. Never missed a meal.

Then came 1987. The S&L scandals hit Texas hard. Layoffs started again. The RTC sold real estate for cents on the dollar. Took my truck and rope to work everyday because I didn't know if I had a job. I kept working crappy jobs, less partying, more racing. Never missed a meal.

Then came the early 1990's. The A-10 project got killed. The superconducting super collider got cancelled by congress after they ran people off of their land by eminent domain. Now we have a huge, circular tunnel underground and nothing to do with it. High tech people were losing their jobs left and right. Enrollment in community colleges skyrocketed for retraining. I kept working crappy jobs, even less partying, less racing. Never missed a meal.

We didn't really have another downturn around here until 911. Same old story. All the airlines were laying off. So were other industries. I was self employed and building race cars. No partying, not much time for racing. Still eating.

Now we are here. Lot's of worrying. Lot's of negative news. I have had to make some adjustments. It's so bad that all of my rentals are filled and I'm looking to buy more. Too old to party too much. I watch racing some. Eating too much and getting fat. Dang, I hope things don't get too much worse.:cheers:

Cat Man Du

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Jul 30, 2007
It's a great idea to put links to your articles (I added it above).

Thanks Russ, forgot where I read it. But Russ - what if the stat's are correct or even off by 5 - 10%. What do you think then??? Also, Manpower and other day labor jobs are now having the middle class showing up **** for just a few hours work.:huh2:

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
Thanks Russ, forgot where I read it. But Russ - what if the stat's are correct or even off by 5 - 10%. What do you think then???

I think the stat is meaningless. So whether it's off by .001% or 99.5% , I don't care.

It's noise.

(to me, not to others, obviously)

Cat Man Du said:
Also, Manpower and other day labor jobs are now having the middle class showing up **** for just a few hours work.:huh2:

Not sure what "showing up ****" means?

-Russ H.

Cat Man Du

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Jul 30, 2007
I think the stat is meaningless. So whether it's off by .001% or 99.5% , I don't care.

It's noise.

(to me, not to others, obviously)

Your head could be in the sand ....... on this one!

Not sure what "showing up ****" means?

-Russ H.

Come - on now, Russ - You know that they are waiting in line to be picked for day labor. These are the middle class that a year or 2 ago would have visited your B&B....
NOT ANYMORE !!! :nonod:

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
Come - on now, Russ - You know that they are waiting in line to be picked for day labor. These are the middle class that a year or 2 ago would have visited your B&B....
NOT ANYMORE !!! :nonod:

I'm beginning to feel like I'm the victim of a troll here.

So now, Cat Man Du, in addition to 90% of all black kids on food stamps, you're saying that the folks that visited our B&B a year or 2 ago are now day laborers?

Are you friggin' serious!?

Last I checked, the guys in the Home Depot parking lot look exactly the same as they did a year ago, and the year before.

And if these people are no longer coming to our B&B, than who is? Why is our occupancy higher this year than last?

Is there some secret well of B&B people we're tapping into while the rest of the world goes into day labor?

Yeesh.

I think it's best to say you and I see the different sides of things.

I choose to look at the positive. And to make my plans based on what's happening, but not planning on the world coming to an end.

You, on the other hand, seem to be dwelling on the negative.

Cool beans. I'm not going to change your mind.

And you're certainly not going to change my world view!

Best of luck on your journey.

And I really do mean that. :)

-Russ H.

Cat Man Du

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Jul 30, 2007
I'm beginning to feel like I'm the victim of a troll here.

So now, Cat Man Du, in addition to 90% of all black kids on food stamps, you're saying that the folks that visited our B&B a year or 2 ago are now day laborers?

Are you friggin' serious!?

Last I checked, the guys in the Home Depot parking lot look exactly the same as they did a year ago, and the year before.

And if these people are no longer coming to our B&B, than who is? Why is our occupancy higher this year than last?

Is there some secret well of B&B people we're tapping into while the rest of the world goes into day labor.

-Russ H.

Russ, I'm speaking of the group - middle class - not individuals who have gone to your B & B. This is a group that may have had the income to become your clients.

Since the Home Depot guys look the same to you - It just means that the jobless have to go elsewhere - Manpower ?

You have made changes in your business as I have done in mine in order to survive.

My last post on this will be tomorrow. Thanks Guys. :smx6:

User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Nov 14, 2009
I still see a lot of people shopping, going out, eating out, but on closer inspection, there are several houses sitting for sale for months within blocks of each other, one of the large stores at a commercial real estate is closed, and I see homeless people with signs at both ways of the intersection....I think people want to pretend it doesn't exist or that it's not as bad as it really is.

Runum

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Aug 8, 2007
DFW, Texas
I think people want to pretend it doesn't exist or that it's not as bad as it really is.

You know,newbie, it's your first post and you choose this thread. You also take a cheap shot at me and other members of this forum. Good job on winning friends and influencing people. Why don't you try introducing yourself properly in the intro forum before commenting on an ongoing conversation.

http://www.thefastlanetomillions.com/introductions-networking/

I don't have any doubt that things are bad for some people. All I have ever said is that I choose not to dwell on it. I cannot control other peoples life choices or things that happen to them. I can only work on improving my life. What else would you have me do? Also, I do contribute both funds and time to people less fortunate. I also employ several people in my personal life and biz. Again, what would you have me do any different, wear sack cloth and sit on the street corner fretting about our future?:cheers:

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
You can sit at home and worry about it. Dwell on it. FEAR it.

Or, you can do something about it.

Be proactive. POSITIVE.

You can CHOOSE TO NOT HAVE FEAR SLOW YOU DOWN.

FEAR is just another speed killer on the fastlane.

Funny thing is, I look at things from a positive perspective, and some folks here see me deluding myself, or choosing to "not see" how bad it is.

As Runum has said, we've had crappy times for decades. Also good times.

I tend not to ride the roller coaster of public opinion/victimization ("OOh, things all over are bad. OOh, things all over are goooood!").

Up, down, up, down.

I choose instead to make my own reality.

Keep an even-- or accelerating-- speed.

Do I "choose" to be rich?

Yeah, in some ways.

But that's oversimplifying.

I CHOOSE to be "bullish" on my life-- to be positive, and look for the best in things-- and people.

Any you know what?

I wind up leading a "charmed life".

I meet great people.

Do lots of fun things.

Make money.

Guys who hear my life's story just shake their heads and say, "You are one lucky b*st*rd."

I just grin. :)

I *do* feel like I'm a lucky guy. I'm very happy w/what life has dealt me.

But a big-- BIG-- reason I'm so happy, and "lucky"

is that I CHOOSE to see the good stuff, and dwell on IT.

The bad stuff?

Sure, it's there.

It's there all the time, in some way or another: Deaths, loss of friends, losing jobs, moving, getting sick-- there are TONS of things that I could sit around and mope about.

But that's just not my style.

Positive Mental Attitude is a powerful tool, and a GREAT motivator.

It's gotten me far.

It may not be for everyone.

But for me-- absolutely the way to live my life. :banana:

-Russ H.

Jag

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Jun 15, 2009
Texas
Russ,

Fantastic post, you hit the nail on the head! I don't think most people realize how mental everything is. Plus as you stated, you make you own luck!

As my father says "You let it happen to you, or you can make it happen for you."

Cat Man Du

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Jul 30, 2007
You know,newbie, it's your first post and you choose this thread. You also take a cheap shot at me and other members of this forum. Good job on winning friends and influencing people. Why don't you try introducing yourself properly in the intro forum before commenting on an ongoing conversation.

Introductions & Networking - Millionaire Entrepreneur Forum

:cheers:[/Q
Hey Rum,

Isn't he speaking of the 90% - NOT the fastlaners. I, also, believe that thy are pretending that things are JUST FINE! :huh2:

Runum

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Aug 8, 2007
DFW, Texas
Could be, may be my misinterpretation.

Thing is that I, personally, do not see people pretending all is OK. I made a choice to teach at a school, 8 hours a day, that 70% of my students are labeled economically disadvantaged. Their families are not pretending because they live it everyday. These families buy few extras. Everyday one of my kids talks to me about their hardships. I work with middle income professionals that talk about how much they are saving by shopping prices or are cutting back their spending. They aren't pretending. Then I come home and talk to my friends here and they are adjusting as well, not pretending. So, I'm not sure where the people are that are pretending that the hard times don't exist and are immune from its affects.

I do not have a crystal ball. I don't know what the future holds. I cannot control what the gov. does. I cannot run other people's lives for them. I do not know if our country and economy will survive intact. I do not hide from that but I do not have any influence over it.

I will add this, I have a long-time friend that is a history professor. Our political ideals are completely opposite each other. This makes for some lively discussion. I have recently talked to him about where our country is heading and that I am not comfortable with some things I see happening. The summary of his response was that our job is to delay the inevitable collapse of our country for as long as possible. Since all superpowers have, historically, failed it makes since. Scary thoughts. I have my emergency plans, aka security blanket. Now I choose to focus on the things I can control rather than live in fear.

I'm open to clarification but not baseless criticism.:cheers:

Cat Man Du

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Jul 30, 2007

Thing is that I, personally, do not see people pretending all is OK. I made a choice to teach at a school, 8 hours a day, that 70% of my students are labeled economically disadvantaged. Their families are not pretending because they live it everyday. These families buy few extras. Everyday one of my kids talks to me about their hardships. I work with middle income professionals that talk about how much they are saving by shopping prices or are cutting back their spending. They aren't pretending. Then I come home and talk to my friends here and they are adjusting as well, not pretending. So, I'm not sure where the people are that are pretending that the hard times don't exist and are immune from its affects.

I do not have a crystal ball. I don't know what the future holds. I cannot control what the gov. does. I cannot run other people's lives for them. I do not know if our country and economy will survive intact. I do not hide from that but I do not have any influence over it.

I will add this, I have a long-time friend that is a history professor. Our political ideals are completely opposite each other. This makes for some lively discussion. I have recently talked to him about where our country is heading and that I am not comfortable with some things I see happening. The summary of his response was that our job is to delay the inevitable collapse of our country for as long as possible. Since all superpowers have, historically failed, it makes since. Scary thoughts. I have my emergency plans, aka security blanket. Now I choose to focus on the things I can control.

I'm open to clarification but not baseless criticism.:cheers:

Hmmmmm..... Let's say that appearances can be deceiving. Thanks for your imput - you are in a unique situation to see this.:iagree:

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA

I will add this, I have a long-time friend that is a history professor. Our political ideals are completely opposite each other. This makes for some lively discussion. I have recently talked to him about where our country is heading and that I am not comfortable with some things I see happening. The summary of his response was that our job is to delay the inevitable collapse of our country for as long as possible. Since all superpowers have, historically, failed it makes sense. Scary thoughts. I have my emergency plans, aka security blanket. Now I choose to focus on the things I can control rather than live in fear.

This is a great point. It's also one that I live with. Someday, the US won't be around anymore. That's just inevitable. But I hope that's hundreds of years from now-- and we as a people will be responsible for the long-term health of our republic.

Whether we do things to keep our country alive and well, or decide to passively sit and watch it crumble, both are a CHOICE each of us makes.

-Russ H.

Cat Man Du

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Jul 30, 2007
The number of Americans that have trouble putting food on the table shot up last year in an unprecedented spike to a record 17 million households, the government reported on Monday.http://feeds.feedburner.com/~r/rss/m...~4/V4XVXRNzkBY

More...

This is the latest of unsettling reports-- having to do with hunger. As much as I'm an optimist and am still buying property - I feel that the economy is really going down. We are going to have major problems coming up!

kwerner

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
19%
Oct 4, 2007
I feel that the economy is really going down. We are going to have major problems coming up!

OKAY, we get your point of view, Cat Man Du!!!

:beatdeadhorse5::beatdeadhorse5::beatdeadhorse5:

I hope you understand the other members point of view as well. Most people on this forum aren't going to let the current economic outlook hold them back; they're not going to let anything hold them back. Period.

:rant:

By the way Russ, I'm going to borrow your quote as my new sig line. I like that one. Thanks!

Cat Man Du

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Jul 30, 2007
Here’s the latest !! Don’t be a pollyanna. Take heed and prepare.
Meredith Whitney Calls For Double Dip Recession

Meredith Whitney says "http://www.cnbc.com/id/33972133".

· The US consumer was going through the biggest credit contraction ever—even bigger than that during the Great Depression. "That credit contraction is accelerating," she said. "There's nowhere to hide at this point."
· The banking sector is not adequately capitalized and will need to raise more capital in the coming year.
· The residential real estate market is likely to worsen and remains a much bigger threat than the commercial property market. The government's mortgage modification program won't result in any major improvement in homeowners' ability to stay above water, she added.

Runum

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Aug 8, 2007
DFW, Texas
OK Cat, we've had enough. You have heard what we intend to do about this. What do you intend to do about this? Let's hear your proposals/plan.

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
Yes, Cat Man Du-- this is the fastlane-- not "the end of the world is nigh".

So what is YOUR fastlane plan to deal with your predictions?

How will you thrive, given all that you see?

Thanks in advance. :)

-Russ H.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.