The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success

HOT TOPIC The Worldwide Covid-19 Coronavirus Pandemic Discussion Thread...

Remove ads while supporting the Unscripted philosophy...become an INSIDER.

Bekit

Platinum Contributor
Read Millionaire Fastlane
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Aug 13, 2018
I believe Bekit is talking about supply problems (factories closed in China, etc), not virus infection of the boxes.
Yes. Supply problems.

According to White House Trade Advisor Peter Navarro, China has already banned the export of N95 masks and nationalized a US factory that produced them there.

View: https://youtu.be/ImxuY_yLCBQ?t=67

What if they ban the export of pharmaceuticals next?

It could become difficult even to find generic items like penicillin or vitamin C.

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum. Subscribe.

JAJT

Ha Ha! Business
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Aug 7, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Was shopping yesterday and noticed that there's already been a run on sanitizer and various cold/flu medications. Big brands were all out of stock and the generics looked like they were also starting to take a hit.

This is in the Ottawa suburbs. The closest confirmed case of this virus was a 5 hour drive away in Toronto (there's a new case in Montreal this morning but nobody knew about it at the time of my shopping trip).

The news last night kept throwing "supplies running out" stories for our city as well. The panic is setting in.

If your medicine cabinet and first aid kit isn't well stocked - you should be looking to do so now, even if you don't live anywhere close to a confirmed case.

This isn't about being a "prepper" by any stretch. This is about KNOWING there's going to be a very real supply problem on certain items and making sure you have what you need.

There is all kinds of speculation about how bad the virus itself is going to be, and whether or not you'll even be hit with it where you live - but that doesn't really matter. There is no doubt at all about how people are going to behave as panic rises. It's smart to get ahead of it.

Envision

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
May 5, 2014
Do you have much official confirmation? Just curious really

I have spoken to a lot of sales managers that are back to work. factory owners hoping for the best..I have received a lot of "we will begin soon" from many factories that I deal with.

I've also received "our factory is back to work" from plenty of new contacts on Alibaba.

My bicycle factories keep saying they're opening soon but cannot comment on when component factories will open as well. Only that they have applied to reopen "soon" It's all quite terrible at the moment.

We have some staff going back to Yiwu but Yiwu market is a ghost town with very few shops open even though the Yiwu government is providing free hotels and even flights in some cases to kick things off again.

I'm dealing with a couple of factories in the south that say they will open back up on the 1st but nothing is guaranteed as far as I'm concerned. Another factory in Hebei says back to work, production on schedule, and shipment to sail out next Sunday but it's difficult to get that actual shipment booking out of them. Waited all day today..

So I'm curious if small capacity is small production capacity or just people answering and quoting / hoping for deposits so they don't collapse. Seems most factories are just hoping to spread good news so people don't begin looking at other countries
Photos, and I sent orders that will complete at the end of March/Beginning of April. Im not so much concerned with them producing my orders but the ports and shipping being screwed from everything so I am air shipping until this settles down. Id rather lose money on shipping than run out of stock.

Obviously they are operating at a fraction of capacity. Not posting others because it shows my type of products. but this is typical in most photos

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
What is up with this xenophobia? Do people not realize that most viruses don't survive very long outside the human body? For example, you can't catch HIV from a toilet seat. Idk maybe this virus is different
xen·o·pho·bi·a
/ˌzenəˈfōbēə,ˌzēnəˈfōbēə/
noun
dislike of or prejudice against people from other countries.

What could you have possibly read in ANY of the comments here that would lead you to conclude anyone is posting from a position of xenophobia? That has zero to do with any reaction I have read in this thread.

MTEE1985

Platinum Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Jun 12, 2018
Arizona
xen·o·pho·bi·a
/ˌzenəˈfōbēə,ˌzēnəˈfōbēə/
noun
dislike of or prejudice against people from other countries.

What could you have possibly read in ANY of the comments here that would lead you to conclude anyone is posting from a position of xenophobia? That has zero to do with any reaction I have read in this thread.
pro·jec·tion
Noun

the unconscious transfer of one's own desires or emotions to another person.

Anyways, thanks all for the updates. This thread is exponentially more informative than any news source right now.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast

GIlman

Still Gilman
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Oct 16, 2014
Weren't the testing methodologies from CDC wildly inaccurate? Is it true they are just diagnosing people based on symptoms alone, since there aren't any accurate testing methods?

A person has fever, cough, sore throat....gee I guess that narrows it to every other illness. But they diagnose like you got coroavirus! I just think the numbers are wayyyy overblown. Feel like majority just have the regular flu or cold.
the only way to know is to get a sample and test it. I haven’t looked into the test but assume it is an ELISA or PCR. Realize that the US has not been testing people. Last I heard 430ish tests had been done. It was just assumed that if you didn’t have risk factors you were ok. Expect for there to be pockets of infection that just pop up just like happened in Italy.

the problem without testing is that it looks like other viral pneumonia’s. Here is a case I had recently, this looks like how they describe Covid-19, but also more likely just viral pneumonia. Only way to know is to test everyone with generic upper respiratory symptoms (I.e. cough, runny nose, fever, aches, etc). Fwiw these are also the same symptoms as hiv and many other viral illness

51C8505F-322D-4EE0-B6A4-9AAF4EACDF2A.jpeg

p.s. the black lung is normal the grey lung is the infection.

Last edited:

MJ DeMarco

Administrator
Staff member
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Jul 23, 2007
Fountain Hills, AZ
Just for the record, I believe @GIlman is a doctor, correct? Radiologist? So he's not speaking from a YouTube knowledge base.

GIlman

Still Gilman
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Oct 16, 2014
Correct, specialized in emergency radiology. If you get a CT in the ER Someone like me is reading it.

Just for the record, I believe @GIlman is a doctor, correct? Radiologist? So he's not speaking from a YouTube knowledge base.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
Correct, specialized in emergency radiology. If you get a CT in the ER Someone like me is reading it.
Side bar, my uncle was one of the foremost radiologists in the USA. I bet you know him or know of him. I miss that old guy, especially for questions like this.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
Also, thanks to everyone on here that sou dedicated the alarms. Prepared myself for atleast 2 to 3 months. Going out now to get another 3-6 months worth of supplies . Better to be prepared and have extra, than the alternative.
zero downside

NateKruse

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Jan 13, 2018
San Diego, CA
So...anyone doing the Wim Hof Method?
Might be worth a look if it allows you to tune up your immune system.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A6jqaALpEFM
I've been taking cold showers and doing the 75 Hard challenge. I'm thinking eating healthy, moving my body, and drinking a gallon of water a day could keep my immune system strong, as long as I don't catch the virus at the gym or walking around the neighborhood.

knowledgebeast

Contributor
Sep 22, 2019
Yverdon-les-Bains, Switzerland
I'm in switzerland and in 4 days we went from the first case confirmed to 15, and we're still waiting on 19 test results. I'm starting to worry because people travel all the time between Switzerland and every neighbor european country, including northern Italy, France and Germany. I might start doing outdoor workouts, instead of the gym, because the possibility of yet undetected community infections in Switzerland seems very possible. If this is true ( View: https://twitter.com/MRC_Outbreak/status/1230881889419976705?s=20
), the number of infected people might be much higher than we think.

biggeemac

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
Jun 25, 2011
We provide caregiving services in our two (soon to be three) homes. Really, our only supply chain concern is medication. Its not possible to get 2-3 months of prescriptions, so we are a little concerned there. I did buy a large supply of food stuff, toiletries, and other items that we use to keep the houses sanitary. Overall, I am feeling confident in our ability to mitigate this thing until a vaccine is developed. We are continuing to discuss our procedures should it arrive in our community in semi-rural Oregon, since we live onsite at our place of business, have a large family of our own, and have employees.

.B.

Bronze Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Jun 18, 2016

Bekit

Platinum Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Aug 13, 2018
We provide caregiving services in our two (soon to be three) homes. Really, our only supply chain concern is medication. Its not possible to get 2-3 months of prescriptions, so we are a little concerned there. I did buy a large supply of food stuff, toiletries, and other items that we use to keep the houses sanitary. Overall, I am feeling confident in our ability to mitigate this thing until a vaccine is developed. We are continuing to discuss our procedures should it arrive in our community in semi-rural Oregon, since we live onsite at our place of business, have a large family of our own, and have employees.
When I was in Haiti, you could just go down to the pharmacy and buy whatever drug you wanted. If they had it, they would fill it. There was no prescription barrier.

I wonder if you could get creative and temporarily source the meds you need from outside the US.

biggeemac

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
Jun 25, 2011
When I was in Haiti, you could just go down to the pharmacy and buy whatever drug you wanted. If they had it, they would fill it. There was no prescription barrier.

I wonder if you could get creative and temporarily source the meds you need from outside the US.
Heh, not a shot in hell. It is very heavily regulated/documented, and the government tracks how we distribute the prescriptions. I would be in some serious hot water if I ever did anything like that.

ShamanKing

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Aug 30, 2018
Sacramento, ca
Oof. Stores around me are out of Masks.

LightningHelix

Bronze Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Mar 26, 2015
Was shopping yesterday and noticed that there's already been a run on sanitizer and various cold/flu medications. Big brands were all out of stock and the generics looked like they were also starting to take a hit.

This is in the Ottawa suburbs. The closest confirmed case of this virus was a 5 hour drive away in Toronto (there's a new case in Montreal this morning but nobody knew about it at the time of my shopping trip).

The news last night kept throwing "supplies running out" stories for our city as well. The panic is setting in.

If your medicine cabinet and first aid kit isn't well stocked - you should be looking to do so now, even if you don't live anywhere close to a confirmed case.

This isn't about being a "prepper" by any stretch. This is about KNOWING there's going to be a very real supply problem on certain items and making sure you have what you need.

There is all kinds of speculation about how bad the virus itself is going to be, and whether or not you'll even be hit with it where you live - but that doesn't really matter. There is no doubt at all about how people are going to behave as panic rises. It's smart to get ahead of it.
Damn, so it's now in my backyard...

I guess it's time to start taking this more seriously...

Anybody have a list of supplies one should get? Food is obvious, masks if you can get them, Hand sanitizer. A first aid kit. Anything else?

OP
OP
L

loop101

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Mar 3, 2013

biggeemac

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
Jun 25, 2011
Someone suggested water purifiers. Might be irrational and foolish but electricity generators could be helpful if electricity supply breaks down (don't spend life savings for that lol)
There isn't a threat to water or electricity. Really the main concern is the supply chain. Anything you buy at a store could potentially be impacted in some kind of way. I am stocking up a couple months worth of stuff that we already use that has good shelf life, or something that I can store away to extend its shelf life in a refrigerator or freezer, or with a foodsaver. If things blow over and life returns to normal, then essentially I have just pre-purchased things that I will use anyway. If things go pretty bad, then I will be grateful that I made the investment. Win/Win

JAJT

Ha Ha! Business
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Aug 7, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Anything else?
IMHO, assume that at some point, for a non-defined period of time, you won't have access to a hospital for just about any reason.

To me, this is the "worst case scenario" here.

I don't necessarily mean catching the virus and needing help either - I mean even for your typical cuts, gashes, bumps, etc.

If hospitals become bogged down and run out of beds, staff become ill, service is stretched beyond their limits, doctors are overworked and exhausted, hospital supplies run out or get reduced, etc... then you need to assume help may not be there when you need it.

Also assume people will panic-buy the essentials to bunker down at home. This is in addition to supply chain problems already being discussed. Food, sure, but also consider things like toilet paper or feminine hygiene products. Things you don't really want to even try to live without.

While planning for water and power outage issues is good planning in general, they don't really apply in this particular crisis like they would in a hurricane or earthquake situation.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Sponsored Offers

MARKETPLACE Lex DeVille's - Advanced Freelance Udemy Courses!
Advanced Upwork Proposals II IS FINALLY LIVE! Here's a look at what's inside: Improved YOU...
MARKETPLACE You Are One Call Away From Living Your Dream Life - LightHouse’s Accountability Program ⚡
Here is where you eliminate uncertainty from the future! I wanted to post this image as I...
MARKETPLACE KAK’s “Kill Bigger” Incubation Program- With DAILY personal attention.
Hey Guys! I wanted to give a quick update on what this program has become. In its infancy, we...

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum. Subscribe to become an INSIDER.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Monthly conference calls with doers
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected - Please Disable

Yes, ads can be annoying. But please...

...to support the Unscripted/Fastlane mission (and to respect the immense amount of time needed to manage this forum) please DISABLE your ad-block. Thank you.

I've Disabled AdBlock