The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

(Radio Interview) Freedom, Motivation, & Grow What You Know

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
(Radio Interview II) Freedom, Motivation, & Grow What You Know

Here's my second interview on Dublin South FM.

• We talk about "freedom".

• I wonder why people need motivation.

• I give my hack to get out of your own way.

• I wonder why people can't see the grass under their own feet.

I'll get a transcription added later.

I hope it helps.

> Click here to access the recording <

What were your takeaways?

What will you do differently going forward?

(For other recordings click HERE.)

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
(reserved for transcription - if it will fit!)

JokerCrazyBeatz

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Jun 1, 2016
This chat opened my mind on a lot of things. My Procrastination , how simple it is to find businesses for yourself . Really how much we complicate things when we don't really need to

Nicoknowsbest

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
395%
Mar 31, 2014
Austria
On getting started:

The biggest reason people don't start is because they get in their own way.

They look for that next big thing, a great idea, an awesome partner, a mentor and a thousand other things.

I was the best example and looked for all of the above and much more.

It took me years to understand certain things, to let go of a certain mindset.

Because I didn't put myself out there.

What ultimately helped me was to stop chasing the day I'd be ready.

Because that day NEVER comes.

On choosing a direction:

Most beginners neglect skills they already have, sacrifice time they could spend out in the fields to learn just one more thing.

Most of the ones starting out have a job that already brings in money.

Why not use that?

Repackage skills you already have. Skills that come naturally to you, that you enjoy.

You might not see certain things at first, so talk to your friends and family - they might tell you something you haven't thought about.

There is not only a product/market fit, but also a product/founder fit. Your offer needs to fit your personality too.

If you cannot launch within 7 days and get your first sale, your offer is too complex.

On procrastination

Why don't we get stuff done?

Because we overthink.

We engage in the art of solving problems we DON'T have.

On staying motivated

Motivation has two sides.

You either hunt something or you run away from something.

Like the prey.

Or the hunter.

Know who you are and define your why.

On practical things

Working from home is a problem for some.

I also had my issues with it, until I put it into perspective.

I save a lot of money that I'd otherwise be spending on lunch eating out.

I save a lot of time NOT commuting to an office that I actually spend working now.

On selling & growth:

Recurring customers and referrals by existing customers are your best bet to grow fast, so you better make them happy.

It's about helping them with what you know, not using them for selfish reasons - a website that converts most likely won't win a design award.

Conversational selling doesn't give people any chance to feel uncomfortable, to feel like they are actually being sold.

Go so fast that you get uncomfortable.

Become the guy to go to for XYZ, locally.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
On getting started:

They look for that next big thing, a great idea, an awesome partner, a mentor and a thousand other things.

On choosing a direction:

Most beginners neglect skills they already have, sacrifice time they could spend out in the fields to learn just one more thing.

Why not use that?

Repackage skills you already have. Skills that come naturally to you, that you enjoy.

You might not see certain things at first, so talk to your friends and family - they might tell you something you haven't thought about.

There is not only a product/market fit, but also a product/founder fit. Your offer needs to fit your personality too.

If you cannot launch within 7 days and get your first sale, your offer is too complex.

On procrastination

Because we overthink.

On staying motivated

Like the prey.

Or the hunter.

On practical things

I save a lot of time NOT commuting to an office that I actually spend working now.

On selling & growth:

Recurring customers and referrals by existing customers are your best bet to grow fast, so you better make them happy.

It's about helping them with what you know, not using them for selfish reasons - a website that converts most likely won't win a design award.

Conversational selling doesn't give people any chance to feel uncomfortable, to feel like they are actually being sold.

Nice writeup. Thanks @Nicoknowsbest

Rep+

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Bump for those of you in jobs trying to find a big idea.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Bump for those seeking "freedom".

P Stiller

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
90%
Nov 24, 2017
Lisle, Illinois
Things I typed as listened

Why do I do what I do I asked
Feels natural....like art every single time....each person each hour leaves not the same as when came in and that's priceless

What do I not like doing
The selling of the service.....never had a problem selling anything else....I think because if the way it's handled all around me. I don't want to look like what's all around me....I don't want to convince people....

Andy said he's not earning more money but by being more free he has less stress...
Obtaining a healthier longer life most likely.

Interviewer bringing up freedom....everybody wants to be free they say but I think it's code for do nothing and ability to spend.....not what I want...I want to earn it to be proud in life.

It's so easy to pretend helping people when actually not in what I do...I can't stand that....I think that's why I don't like the selling part....I want no part of taking until I give

I have always got in my own way by HAVING TO BE THE BEST.....why? Because mistakes can waste people's time or their body worse than before they came to you. I believe it's ok to fail but the thought of failing at somebody's health's expense I want no part of

"Yes but" I say because I want to have a map before I go.....if it doesn't make complete sense then I feel I can't believe in it....if can't believe in it I feel I have no business doing it

Why not realize the grass under my feet
Because inventing another eBay or product or whatever is an idea you feel is needed and you believe would do well.....we're told we can do anything so we get to a point where we dream big and want to do what others have because if they've done it so can I.....that's how you feel.....If I stick to what I'm good at it will lead me to not owning my time as book says.....it's not a money tree.

Grow what you know
Stop looking for the perfect job and make the one you have perfect reminds me of I've heard

You forget what good at until people say.....
In what I do people don't know any better so they all believe who they hire is good.....people also like to not know the truth because the truth means hard work so they're more likely to hire someone regardless good or not......like a action faker they are for their health

Repeat business +referrals =profit

You think of other things because other things and ideas escapes you from the disappointment of what you're currently doing not working........not knowing that job seems better than knowing one you have

Where am I getting stuck
I have repeat business and referrals.... and profit......need more

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Things I typed as listened

Why do I do what I do I asked
Feels natural....like art every single time....each person each hour leaves not the same as when came in and that's priceless

What do I not like doing
The selling of the service.....never had a problem selling anything else....I think because if the way it's handled all around me. I don't want to look like what's all around me....I don't want to convince people....

Andy said he's not earning more money but by being more free he has less stress...
Obtaining a healthier longer life most likely.

Interviewer bringing up freedom....everybody wants to be free they say but I think it's code for do nothing and ability to spend.....not what I want...I want to earn it to be proud in life.

It's so easy to pretend helping people when actually not in what I do...I can't stand that....I think that's why I don't like the selling part....I want no part of taking until I give

I have always got in my own way by HAVING TO BE THE BEST.....why? Because mistakes can waste people's time or their body worse than before they came to you. I believe it's ok to fail but the thought of failing at somebody's health's expense I want no part of

"Yes but" I say because I want to have a map before I go.....if it doesn't make complete sense then I feel I can't believe in it....if can't believe in it I feel I have no business doing it

Why not realize the grass under my feet
Because inventing another eBay or product or whatever is an idea you feel is needed and you believe would do well.....we're told we can do anything so we get to a point where we dream big and want to do what others have because if they've done it so can I.....that's how you feel.....If I stick to what I'm good at it will lead me to not owning my time as book says.....it's not a money tree.

Grow what you know
Stop looking for the perfect job and make the one you have perfect reminds me of I've heard

You forget what good at until people say.....
In what I do people don't know any better so they all believe who they hire is good.....people also like to not know the truth because the truth means hard work so they're more likely to hire someone regardless good or not......like a action faker they are for their health

Repeat business +referrals =profit

You think of other things because other things and ideas escapes you from the disappointment of what you're currently doing not working........not knowing that job seems better than knowing one you have

Where am I getting stuck
I have repeat business and referrals.... and profit......need more
Rep+ (for this reply, and your detailed reply to the other radio interview).

You've an aversion to selling because you think it's trying to get people to part with their money by buying something they might not need.

You're job in sales is NOT to convince people who don't want to do something... it's to find the people who are already convinced, and to help them.

"Help the people in motion."

"Money is proof you helped your fellow man."

This thread might help:

astr0

Grinding
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
140%
Dec 3, 2017
Lviv, Ukraine
Thanks @Andy Black for another great interview.

It's completely aligns with a story about my first business venture:
  • One of best reasons to get started in a business is you can not get started. It’s something you’re driven to do and you do it constantly. Four university students decided to make a software development company after graduating. Two of them were really good at programming since middle school, loved it and were driving the process together.
  • Schooling system doing average, but you have to be excellent at something. Fortunately for us, our school allowed "free participation" for those who won regional contests on some subject to prepare for national contests. That meant 2 additional months of programming instead of mandatory studying other subjects. Had to take all tests and exams on all of the subjects though.
  • Two types of motivation: tiger chasing you or you just want helping. It started from "tiger chasing you" like being your own boss, not working for somebody else. Soon enough we all just loved the process, loved helping people with their software requests.
  • He doesn’t know what he doesn’t know. The only thing you need is a customer. If you can’t set up in 7 days and be ready to make a sale - than it’s too complicated product for you. We didn't knew a thing about running business and started on elance(now upwork) cause we didn't knew other ways to get customers. Had first customer on day one, 2 months before quitting our jobs. it was small task for $XXX that was done in an hour and gave us a ticket to new customers - first positive review. He was shocked that we've managed to do what he wanted that quickly. One of us, being a project leader at his job, had some experience with customers and project management so we knew we could handle a bigger projects. In next few days we won a bidding on some $XXXX website and done it in time.
  • If you’re not using the skills that you excellent at than you’ll never be as productive as you could be. We were really good at programming and the whole looking for tasks/bidding system got in our way. Soon we realized how to avoid spending too much time on it. We've noticed that some of our competitors were bidding almost the same projects that we were so we build a tool to spy on them and notify us when they've bid on something. That saved a lot of time allowing us to work on more projects at the same time.
  • Get customers to become repeat customers. Few months after building that first website same customer wanted additional features and invited us to give it exclusively. We spend a lot of time bidding for the first project, but second one was just few clicks away. It was our first $XXXXX project.
  • Repeat+Referral=Profit. That same client referred us to another client. This time it was large project for a big US company. He could also get more projects for us if we could handle that. Also, we worked outside of elance with him.
  • Freedom: I can design lifetime as I want and work as I want. We wanted it, but didn't had that. In fact is was the opposite: working 14+ hours a day 6-7 days a week. We were even working almost 48 hours straight once with all the visual hallucinations, hearing distortions and other side effects as consequence. Problem was that we got so many projects and clients that we couldn't keep up with all unplanned urgent following tasks.
  • 3 years plan: 1st year - learning skill/doing it(done), 2nd year - focus on selling that skill(done), 3rd stage - scale it(fail). We were burning out and knew we should start hiring employees. We hired one.
  • If you’re not motivated - your WHY’s not strong enough. All this stress lead to thinking where were we going with this. Turned out we had different WHYs. So different that we all agreed that it would be best for me to leave. They've fired that only one employee in few months. I don't know how're they doing, but they are definitely still doing it and got more freedom now.
There's more to learn from failures that from success so I hope somebody will learn something new.

"Grow what you know" is the most straightforward and guaranteed path to success.
I know quite a few local people who done it that way and I don't know anyone who done it some other way.
But (more takeaways):
  • You don’t realize the grass under your feet
  • People don’t realize the skills that they bring to the table
  • People forget what’s currently getting them money
  • It's not another ebay
  • It may be not as sexy
  • It may have too much emotional memories attached (not a takeaway, but fits here)
Seriously consider forgetting and repeating as an opportunity. But maybe I need an alignment first.

Thanks for bringing all those memories, Andy. Rep++

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland

• One of best reasons to get started in a business is you can not get started. It’s something you’re driven to do and you do it constantly. Four university students decided to make a software development company after graduating. Two of them were really good at programming since middle school, loved it and were driving the process together.
  • Schooling system doing average, but you have to be excellent at something. Fortunately for us, our school allowed "free participation" for those who won regional contests on some subject to prepare for national contests. That meant 2 additional months of programming instead of mandatory studying other subjects. Had to take all tests and exams on all of the subjects though.
  • Two types of motivation: tiger chasing you or you just want helping. It started from "tiger chasing you" like being your own boss, not working for somebody else. Soon enough we all just loved the process, loved helping people with their software requests.
  • He doesn’t know what he doesn’t know. The only thing you need is a customer. If you can’t set up in 7 days and be ready to make a sale - than it’s too complicated product for you. We didn't knew a thing about running business and started on elance(now upwork) cause we didn't knew other ways to get customers. Had first customer on day one, 2 months before quitting our jobs. it was small task for $XXX that was done in an hour and gave us a ticket to new customers - first positive review. He was shocked that we've managed to do what he wanted that quickly. One of us, being a project leader at his job, had some experience with customers and project management so we knew we could handle a bigger projects. In next few days we won a bidding on some $XXXX website and done it in time.
  • If you’re not using the skills that you excellent at than you’ll never be as productive as you could be. We were really good at programming and the whole looking for tasks/bidding system got in our way. Soon we realized how to avoid spending too much time on it. We've noticed that some of our competitors were bidding almost the same projects that we were so we build a tool to spy on them and notify us when they've bid on something. That saved a lot of time allowing us to work on more projects at the same time.
  • Get customers to become repeat customers. Few months after building that first website same customer wanted additional features and invited us to give it exclusively. We spend a lot of time bidding for the first project, but second one was just few clicks away. It was our first $XXXXX project.
  • Repeat+Referral=Profit. That same client referred us to another client. This time it was large project for a big US company. He could also get more projects for us if we could handle that. Also, we worked outside of elance with him.
  • Freedom: I can design lifetime as I want and work as I want. We wanted it, but didn't had that. In fact is was the opposite: working 14+ hours a day 6-7 days a week. We were even working almost 48 hours straight once with all the visual hallucinations, hearing distortions and other side effects as consequence. Problem was that we got so many projects and clients that we couldn't keep up with all unplanned urgent following tasks.
  • 3 years plan: 1st year - learning skill/doing it(done), 2nd year - focus on selling that skill(done), 3rd stage - scale it(fail). We were burning out and knew we should start hiring employees. We hired one.
  • If you’re not motivated - your WHY’s not strong enough. All this stress lead to thinking where were we going with this. Turned out we had different WHYs. So different that we all agreed that it would be best for me to leave. They've fired that only one employee in few months. I don't know how're they doing, but they are definitely still doing it and got more freedom now.
There's more to learn from failures that from success so I hope somebody will learn something new.

"Grow what you know" is the most straightforward and guaranteed path to success.
I know quite a few local people who done it that way and I don't know anyone who done it some other way.
But (more takeaways):
  • It's not another ebay
  • It may be not as sexy
  • It may have too much emotional memories attached (not a takeaway, but fits here)
Seriously consider forgetting and repeating as an opportunity. But maybe I need an alignment first.

What a great write up. Thank you. Rep+

Required

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
178%
Aug 13, 2018
Estonia
Thanks for doing and sharing these interviews, loved listening to them.

Takeaways from the talk:

- We get in our own way, we make obstacles which aren't even there, wasting time and energy trying to solve them when in the meantime you should be focusing on your goals instead (there is nothing stopping you from doing that)

- You don't need to be an expert, you just need to find a human being who has a problem which you could then solve, just improve their life. Start building around those problems, you already know enough.

- If you are never using skills that you are excellent at, you will never be as productive as you could be. You don't need to focus on your weaknesses, start looking what it is where you are good at. You may not know you're good at something because you aren't realizing that you do it naturally. A good way to get aware of your strengths is to communicate with coworkers, close relatives etc who has seen you from outside for some time. Get them to give feedback. You often can't see yourself outside the box.

- If you can't make a sale from your idea within first 7 days, then that may be too complicated for you at this stage to deal with and you should move on.

- Repeat business + referrals = healthy business. Better to have reoccurring customers than one time buyers. Word of mouth is very powerful when providing useful value.

- 3-Stage plan - first stage learn a skill (while doing it) - second stage focus on selling that skill - third stage scaling (start when you can't handle the workload coming in)

- Grow what you know, the grass isn't greener on the other side. For example if you have been a accountant for severals years, why not build on that and start providing your own services. If you pick a new field you'll start from scratch.

Great value there! Thanks!

JJMac

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
183%
Jan 6, 2019
United Kingdom
@Andy Black really enjoyed the talk, thank you.

• People focus on improving their weaknesses, instead of actually focusing on what they are already good at. "its not even that you think the grass is greener over there, its that you don't realise there's grass under your feet because you’re stood on it".
  • 3-step service: learn the skill by doing, learn how to sell your skill & scale it. Along with a critical bit of information to go with it, repeat business + referrals = Profit.
  • Over thinking and over complicating is the art of solving problems you don't have. The 'yes, but...' mentality.

I'm going to start off by talking to people close to me and ask them what they think my strengths are, as you mention this quite often will uncover something you have overlooked yourself, and then improve upon my findings and move into the learning by doing.

JJMac

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
183%
Jan 6, 2019
United Kingdom
On getting started:

On choosing a direction:

Why not use that?

On procrastination

Because we overthink.

On staying motivated

Like the prey.

Or the hunter.

On practical things

On selling & growth:

Really great reply @Nicoknowsbest, very helpful thanks.

Tomas J

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
97%
Sep 11, 2018
Nice interview. Just a few things that I would like to discuss about...

There definitely is something on that "grow what you know" but I see a big difference between just knowing and something that comes from your nature e.g. when you say that you are good in communication with people and you really like it, it's really different than if someone is doing bookkeeping... like its much wider, its a part of your personality while doing bookkeeping is not, its just a skill.

Now, why should someone stick with bookkeeping if there is some other thing he can do properly (let's say in a few days of learning) because it also fits his nature that has much bigger potential when it comes to building, for example, an online business (lets presume that he/she wants to grow an online business)? Even if he/she is not that experienced in it as in bookkeeping...

astr0

Grinding
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
140%
Dec 3, 2017
Lviv, Ukraine

But (more takeaways):
  • It's not another ebay
  • It may be not as sexy

Thanks, @Andy Black for reminding me of this post. I'm in the process of making a very similar business work, with a few major improvements. Posting in the same style would be fun.

• One of best reasons to get started in a business is you can not get started. It’s something you’re driven to do and you do it constantly. A lot of people now know me as the XYZ guy. That helped a lot to get some gigs for living during my second failure (pretty huge MMO game).
  • Schooling system doing average, but you have to be excellent at something. One of the best chemists in a country with the unique extrovert ability to make friends in an instant joins forces with a pretty good hardcore-INTJ programmer, who helped him to become a great software engineer in months. They are accompanied by another hard-working, responsible and experienced frontend developer.
  • Two types of motivation: tiger chasing you or you just want helping. This time it's just helping, no tigers allowed. To the point, that ex-chemist wants to form a low-profit organization and INTJ had to convince him with data from lots of surveys that it has pretty low chances of working as expected.
  • He doesn’t know what he doesn’t know. The only thing you need is a customer. If you can’t set up in 7 days and be ready to make a sale - than it’s too complicated product for you. The first customer was on the day -170 this time. We have two more paying customers now and it's still day -50 or so.
  • If you’re not using the skills that you excellent at than you’ll never be as productive as you could be. Not only we are using our skills to the full extent, but INTJ is also making good progress in spotting other skills in the team. We have much broader skillset now than ever, including really important ones like marketing, communication/engaging and some sales. INTJ don't actually know how good his partners are in programming, but it doesn't matter, cause if they are not that good then they definitely are good at SALES.
  • Get customers to become repeat customers. One of the current 3 customers will become a repeat customer if his project takes off (and it has pretty good chances). We still have work in progress from the second customer.
  • Repeat+Referral=Profit. The third customer was referred by the second one.
  • Freedom: I can design lifetime as I want and work as I want. That's where the big difference comes to play. The first failure was just blindly doing what we could do for the money. This one should be completely different. We're going to niche almost to the extreme. And focus more on marketing and inbound prospects than on direct sales. Building a brand would be crucial to achieving that. If someone needs and XYZ and googles that - he should see our breadcrumbs EVERYWHERE. This approach allows giving even more value to the customers, to skew more values in the value array at once with the same effort. It should be also easier to manage on the inside.
  • 3 years plan: -10 year - learning skill/doing it(done), 0-1 year - focus on selling that skill(in progress), 2nd year - scale it(coming soon). Most skills were learned a long time ago. Recent ones that joined the group were marketing and sales. Building a brand is on the way, but we have a good mentor on that, no worries. Have to definitely make it work in small before even thinking of scaling.
  • If you’re not motivated - your WHY’s not strong enough. Everyone has strong WHY's this time. INTJ double and triple checked that. Not enough WHY will lead to huge problems with the partnership. In fact, it's probably our weakest link till date.
  • Grow what you know. Sure, and learn what you need.
  • You don’t realize the grass under your feet. Oh, sure we do.
  • People don’t realize the skills that they bring to the table. Sometimes, but they have an INTJ that can quickly reverse-engineer them and optimize everything for their skillset.
  • People forget what’s currently getting them money. Occasionally, but not this time.
  • It's not another ebay. Yep.
  • It may be not as sexy. Sure, but we'll try to make it as sexy as possible for our future employees.
It took more than a year to get to this point... It's not much more than a plan at this point, but we're running forward. Little thing to add:
  • Planning a start has its benefits. I'm not talking about action faking. I'm talking about setting a day to QUIT THE JOB and start preparing ourselves. We've got a lot done already and still a lot left to do before day 1. All the dopamine and excitement of "starting a business" has long gone, but we grind more and more every single day.

Cause Failure is not an option this time.

Thanks for reading!

Last edited:

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Wow. I've just been reminded of this interview and I'm so thankful for the time everyone has taken to write their takeaways.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Why is everyone so keen to throw away their current skillset and start at the bottom again?

I sometimes think it’s not even a case of “the grass is greener over there”, but that people don’t see the grass under their feet.

sonny_1080

Creating a tool I want to use.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Oct 30, 2019
Los Angeles
@Andy Black said I should share my takeaways and what I'll do differently after listening to this.

DEFINITELY was a case of not seeing the grass under my feet.

Takeaways

Email 15 people: “Hey I’m doing this productivity exercise. I need to find out what I’m best at. Can you please let me know what you think comes naturally to me by Friday for an assignment I’m doing?”

The feedback I got was so surprising (not to mention a self-esteem boost). Now I know I should get involved with something that leverages my sales talent, communication skills, and ability to find creative solutions.

Ask a friend if you can “have a go at his website?” Andy found a customer and then started to learn for the critical path.

This goes back to what MJ says about the best book you should read is the one that directly solves the problem you're currently facing. I'm starting to learn that for me, that is one of the biggest auto-responses that keep me on the action-faking loop. It's the scripted mindset that causes me to instantly think: "I need to take a course on that." "What certification should I get?" I'm about 1/4 of the way through a digital marketing Udemy course. I could reach out to a friend of mine who owns a restaurant and see if I can use my newfound skills to boost his online presence. Then complete the course parallel with helping my friend.

Repeat business + referrals = profit

I've experienced this firsthand from the clothing store I work at. Nothing better than customers letting you know ahead of time they are coming in to make sure you're there. Zig Ziglar's Secrets to Closing the Sale is definitely the most helpful sales book that significantly changed my life.

The right questions to ask:
- Who can you help?
- What can you help them with?
- Can you start now?

The cushion of having this job in the closing store is the very thing that keeps me action-faking. That doesn't mean I'm going to quit my job, it just means that by recognizing it, I can see the obstacle. However, with the coronavirus and all these layoffs and shortened hours, I'm inevitably going to take a payout that I cannot afford. Now there is no more time for action-faking. I need to put something together now.

Thus, grow what you know

You forget what you’re good at because it just comes natural to you -> hence the exercise of emailing people.

When the question arose of how should a taxi driver get started in business, the radio host instantly thought of a course to learn more. Andy thought of getting a customer.

Thats my problem. Im good at learning and I have this “expert-bias” where I instantly think I need a certificate to build my resume so I can show people Im qualified. It's a breath of fresh air when Andy (or anyone else) says you already know enough. You don’t need to read more books or take a new course or get a certification — you don’t need that.

All you need is someone to help... and you don't have to look far.

Cross those other bridges when you get to it. Stop solving problems you have no business trying to solve right now.

Tropicalmba podcast -> gotta check that out

Thank you @Andy Black

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
It's the scripted mindset that causes me to instantly think: "I need to take a course on that." "What certification should I get?"
Yep. It’s very common. It’s the result of our education system and society.

This thread might help:
> NOTABLE! - What if you already know enough?

And this one:
> HOT TOPIC - Learnings from 700+ PMs with fellow forum members

Tammyanne

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
77%
Jun 18, 2017
San Diego, CA
(Radio Interview II) Freedom, Motivation, & Grow What You Know

Here's my second interview on Dublin South FM.

• We talk about "freedom".

• I wonder why people need motivation.

• I give my hack to get out of your own way.

• I wonder why people can't see the grass under their own feet.

I'll get a transcription added later.

I hope it helps.

> Click here to access the recording <

@Andy Black said I should share my takeaways and what I'll do differently after listening to this.

DEFINITELY was a case of not seeing the grass under my feet.

Takeaways

Email 15 people: “Hey I’m doing this productivity exercise. I need to find out what I’m best at. Can you please let me know what you think comes naturally to me by Friday for an assignment I’m doing?”

The feedback I got was so surprising (not to mention a self-esteem boost). Now I know I should get involved with something that leverages my sales talent, communication skills, and ability to find creative solutions.

Ask a friend if you can “have a go at his website?” Andy found a customer and then started to learn for the critical path.

This goes back to what MJ says about the best book you should read is the one that directly solves the problem you're currently facing. I'm starting to learn that for me, that is one of the biggest auto-responses that keep me on the action-faking loop. It's the scripted mindset that causes me to instantly think: "I need to take a course on that." "What certification should I get?" I'm about 1/4 of the way through a digital marketing Udemy course. I could reach out to a friend of mine who owns a restaurant and see if I can use my newfound skills to boost his online presence. Then complete the course parallel with helping my friend.

Repeat business + referrals = profit

I've experienced this firsthand from the clothing store I work at. Nothing better than customers letting you know ahead of time they are coming in to make sure you're there. Zig Ziglar's Secrets to Closing the Sale is definitely the most helpful sales book that significantly changed my life.

The right questions to ask:
- Who can you help?
- What can you help them with?
- Can you start now?

The cushion of having this job in the closing store is the very thing that keeps me action-faking. That doesn't mean I'm going to quit my job, it just means that by recognizing it, I can see the obstacle. However, with the coronavirus and all these layoffs and shortened hours, I'm inevitably going to take a payout that I cannot afford. Now there is no more time for action-faking. I need to put something together now.

Thus, grow what you know

You forget what you’re good at because it just comes natural to you -> hence the exercise of emailing people.

When the question arose of how should a taxi driver get started in business, the radio host instantly thought of a course to learn more. Andy thought of getting a customer.

Thats my problem. Im good at learning and I have this “expert-bias” where I instantly think I need a certificate to build my resume so I can show people Im qualified. It's a breath of fresh air when Andy (or anyone else) says you already know enough. You don’t need to read more books or take a new course or get a certification — you don’t need that.

All you need is someone to help... and you don't have to look far.

Cross those other bridges when you get to it. Stop solving problems you have no business trying to solve right now.

Tropicalmba podcast -> gotta check that out

Thank you @Andy Black
Yes, I plan to do that exercise today "exercise of emailing people 15-20" this will be interesting to see if people close to me see me in a different light than I see myself. This will be a fun exercise I am sure and thank you for sharing.

(For other recordings click HERE.)

Thank You Great Listen.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Why is everyone so keen to throw away their current skillset and start at the bottom again?

I sometimes think it’s not even a case of “the grass is greener over there”, but that people don’t see the grass under their feet.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Bump for those who are more motivated by running away from tigers than by something they’re compelled to do.

izraelinspired

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
154%
Nov 25, 2020
On getting started:

On choosing a direction:

Why not use that?

On procrastination

Because we overthink.

On staying motivated

Like the prey.

Or the hunter.

On practical things

On selling & growth:

This is lovely!

calmed98

New Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
110%
Sep 24, 2020
London
Usually, when people start their own ventures - they feel that they need to be an expert in something - in reality, they do not. Most beginners neglect the skill they already have, and then they focus on their weaknesses. So it's recommended that you spend time on your strengths. You can learn on the job, and if you put in additional obstacles and go on unnecessary courses, you will end up stunting your own progression.

Sales - find people who are already convinced and help them.

Due to my deafness, I use Chrome's live caption, but it doesn't even seem 99% accurate, and I noticed that there is still no transcription? I understood most of it, though, especially with the help from other posters' write up.

Isaac Odongo

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
240%
Nov 7, 2022
Uganda
Many times we stand in our own way.
I already know enough to start
I don't need another course (and an area I a loophole in. Thought a course talismanic)
If I can't start in 7 days, it's probably too complex for me
I only need a customer to start.
A business needs sales most, repeat sales and referrals.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.