The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Tell different people the same thing, instead of the same people different things

Marketing, social media, advertising

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
"Tell different people the same thing, instead of the same people different things."

I came across that line a few weeks ago and it gave me a bit of an aha moment.

I'd gotten quite comfortable talking about different things to the same people in this forum (granted there's always new people joining but you know what I mean).

So I ventured out of the safe(ish) harbour of the forum and into the wild blue ocean that is Facebook and Facebook groups. I've joined new groups where people didn't know me and bounced around making friends, helping people, supporting people, and engaging with people. I've been invited to do group workshops, radio interviews, and onto podcasts - all to talk about the same thing. Dayum, but I felt like a broken record repeating my founding story again and again and again (the story where I help an electrician keep a roof over his head).

But each person I tell that story to has never heard it before. The morals of that story seem to resonate now as every time I've said it in the past 10 years. Funny that.

Anyway, that's my experience implementing the advice above.

What if you ventured out and retold your story to new people and audiences?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Stargazer

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
184%
Mar 8, 2018
England
You just highlighted why most sales people do not do as well as they ought to.

When they start they learn the very best way to present their product/service to a customer developed over thousands of sales calls.

Literally the combination to the safe.

When they start they are just focused on saying what they have been told - partly because they are thinking what comes next rather than listening to the customer - and Hey Presto! they make sales.

Once they have internalised that 'script' over time they are more relaxed in sales meetings and start to add or remove things as they see fit, and worse, go off topic because they think ' I've said this before'

Well not to the person you are speaking to right now you haven't.

It's why there is such a high turnover in sales staff. 'It doesn't work' is their mantra despite the fact they were selling no problem when they started.

Dan

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
You just highlighted why most sales people do not do as well as they ought to.

When they start they learn the very best way to present their product/service to a customer developed over thousands of sales calls.

Literally the combination to the safe.

When they start they are just focused on saying what they have been told - partly because they are thinking what comes next rather than listening to the customer - and Hey Presto! they make sales.

Once they have internalised that 'script' over time they are more relaxed in sales meetings and start to add or remove things as they see fit, and worse, go off topic because they think ' I've said this before'

Well not to the person you are speaking to right now you haven't.

It's why there is such a high turnover in sales staff. 'It doesn't work' is their mantra despite the fact they were selling no problem when they started.

Dan
Very interesting. I hadn't thought of it from that angle - that people who's job is to say the same thing to different people every day start deviating!

ProcessPro

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
121%
Apr 26, 2018
"Tell different people the same thing, instead of the same people different things."

I came across that line a few weeks ago and it gave me a bit of an aha moment.

I'd gotten quite comfortable talking about different things to the same people in this forum (granted there's always new people joining but you know what I mean).

So I ventured out of the safe(ish) harbour of the forum and into the wild blue ocean that is Facebook and Facebook groups. I've joined new groups where people didn't know me and bounced around making friends, helping people, supporting people, and engaging with people. I've been invited to do group workshops, radio interviews, and onto podcasts - all to talk about the same thing. Dayum, but I felt like a broken record repeating my founding story again and again and again (the story where I help an electrician keep a roof over his head).

But each person I tell that story to has never heard it before. The morals of that story seem to resonate now as every time I've said it in the past 10 years. Funny that.

Anyway, that's my experience implementing the advice above.

What if you ventured out and retold your story to new people and audiences?
My takeaway: 'But each person I tell that story to has never heard it before.'

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.