The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Struggling with choosing my ONE thing - Could use some external perspectives.

Anything related to matters of the mind

GoodluckChuck

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
419%
Feb 2, 2017
my house
I just finished reading the book THE ONE THING by Gary Keller and Jay Papasan.

I'm now in a state where I find my chest tight with the same encumbering fear I get when I think about narrowing down my focus to ONE purpose for my life.

The concept is simple, but applying it is not. I have seen mild success in many aspects of my life, but none that have permitted me to do more than make enough money to survive...I've never done more than 30K a year, and I'm 27 years old.

In order to give the best context I can without writing my entire autobiography, I'll recant a few pivotal moments (now that I'm editing this particular post, I don't feel like I've truly had my FTE...)

Anyhow, the book basically postulates that in order to achieve extraordinary results, we have to focus deeply (something I have struggled with greatly) on the ONE activity that will be the progenitor of our goal(s).

I'll do my best not to let this veer too far into "rant" territory, but I've had this issue for a while, and I'd like to gather some feedback from the wonderful minds that populate this forum.

My main motivation for posting this, is an organized and yet cathartic eruption. I want to burn off the impurities that have been indwelt into my being and have held me back time and time again.

Read on and you'll see why I've been pretty much broke my whole life, and how I'm aiming to change that.

You see, I'm an artist by trade - I went to school for animation, and ended up as a freelance illustrator/concept artist.

pren_and_the_gigaphant_by_taylor_payton-dblt7of.jpg

But the problem is that I love creating art and practicing it for my sake, and tend to start sabotaging my successes when I start performing it as a service for others.

In the second quarter of 2014 I was working in-house as an illustrator at a local studio. I was making 1k a week (the most I've made to date) and was miserable. I got home and was spent on levels I didn't know existed.

Even before I had a way to articulate the SCRIPT, I could feel it tugging at my autonomy, and basically gave into depression. This spell of sorrow caused me to put in my two-week's notice after 3 months.

Fast forward to 2015. I'm one of the 12 Illustrators from around the world to get a plane ticket to California Via the L.Ron Hubbard Association and their yearly contest. I didn't win at grand finals, but I got to meet some of the industry greats, network a bit, learn a lot, and received external validation for the work I'd put into my craft.

Even after that, I still couldn't bring myself to work more than 40 hours per week as a professional artist. Long periods in front of the screen, client feedback, low pay, and a plethora of other negatives just kept burning me out (depression + quitting current projects.)

A "dream job" in that industry would leave me feeling dead inside before long. This is something I struggle to come to terms with, as younger me really wanted to be a highly-regarded fantasy artist.

My path also forked into music as well.

In 2016 I started making small profit via art courses and my YouTube Channel began to grow. I was dating a girl who was the lead singer of a stoner rock band, and when I saw her perform, something inside me shifted.

I was awed, yet envious. She and her band were slaying it. During their set list, for some reason, I had this deep regret that I hadn't chosen music as my creative pursuit.

Seeing her under the vivid lights performing her heart out while people banged their heads - this made my art seem so droll. She was an entity, that for a brief series of songs transcended herself as a person, and became this on-stage event.

I wanted that experience.

So I bought a cheap guitar and started practicing - little did I know I had a smidgen of talent, and developed the ability to play, produce, and write my own songs.

I obsessed over getting better at music. I hadn't felt this creative since I first started pursuing art. I would stay up late producing on my computer, and spend hours watching programs on YT on how to improve my compositions. I would sing scales in the car all the time, write lyrics all over my journals, and pick up my guitar whenever I had a spare moment.

Here's a little instrumental I made with a few spare hours:

Fade

Friends and people I didn't know were a bit impressed that I had a decent voice, and that I had learned to play so quickly.

However...My income dropped.

Since I wasn't putting much time and energy into my business or side hustle, my art rusted up, my sales went down, and what little following I have online started to wane.

If trying to be an artist AND a musician wasn't enough, I've been a part-time model and commercial actor for the past 5 years. I've worked for Best Buy, Target, Columbia, and other brands that my agencies marketed me to. I've taken acting classes and honed my chops enough to get paid for being in local short films and televised commercials.

At one point I wanted to pursue it, but the end result just wasn't exciting enough for me, plus I don't really enjoy studying the scripts or repeating lines ad nauseaum. The process isn't all that fun - unlike music. Acting makes me feel like a living puppet. Much like doing art for others makes me feel.

Music has had the least amount of development, and hasn't made me a dime, yet I love it the most. I don't aim to be a cover artist, but someone who's known for his own project(s).

Art has been the longest-running in my life, the one I've invest the most into. I still enjoy it a lot, but it burns me pretty bad when I have to do too much client work. I like making sales of my courses and working on content for my side-hustle though.

Acting? I've more or less dropped it. Despite being fairly good looking and booking gigs from time to time, I just don't like the results like I do with visual art or music.

In closing:

To bring it full circle - I feel pretty lost choosing my ONE thing. My mind has worked assiduously to undermine my focus and success in many areas, and I would cherish some outside wisdom to help me narrow it down and pull out a purpose I can actually give my all to.

I'm also afraid that even if did give everything I had to ONE of these paths, are they too slowlane for me to ever ascertain the financial freedom I seek?

The likelihood of amassing riches as an artist or a musician are pretty weak in contrast to being an entrepreneur. It's just a different spectrum for providing value.

I'm drawn mostly to creative fields, aligned with being a learner and a maker, more so than a manager or a salesman.

Assuming I could make a decent living as a musician, what then? Even after touring and getting signed to a label in a somewhat dying industry, I'd still be far from rich. I'd end up having to teach or open up some sort of personal brand/business. Even just getting signed, booked for shows and the like, would probably take me another 9-12 months even if I gave it 150%.

My ideal would be to create a valuable personal brand for my art and music. I want to synergize the two to create my USP - much like Gorillaz. Art (maybe animation) and music combined to form a potent entertainment experience.

So in short, I want to create songs and art. I want to become a millionaire by doing so.

From what I gather, this isn't traditional entrepreneurship. I don't have an above-average mathematical mind, I can't code, and I please my clients as a service-provider, but burn out quickly and don't make much $$$.

Am I just way off base here? Can you see something with this information that I can't? If you had these skill sets, what would you do?

Even just writing this I feel a bit better, like I've homed in on what I'd actually like to make my purpose. I hate being borderline broke, but I'd regret living to be 80 and never trying to make this dream come true.

If you've read or skimmed this far, you have my thanks. Even if you don't want to respond. I'll still be updating my progress thread and contributing to the forum, I've just had to get this off my chest because I keep freezing up due to analysis paralysis and indecision.

Feel free to share your own stories and hopefully we'll be able to shatter these paradigms together.

First I want to say that picture is badass! It really captures the imagination and who doesn't like gigantic monsters?

As for your "struggles"... I think you are on the right track. Reading books like The One Thing and contemplating your situation with a focus on the future are integral parts of finding personal success. I read The One Thing a while back and took a different meaning from it. We all interpret things differently but I saw Keller's book as an homage to doing your most important task first. Not necessarily picking one thing to do with your life and cutting everything else out. Granted I didn't finish the book because when I thought about the most important task I had on my list, reading that book was never it. haha

With someone that is multi-talented such as yourself in a world with unlimited opportunities and an ocean of information at your fingertips it's easy to feel overwhelmed with options. I would suggest going full blast into anything and everything that intrigues you. Don't say no to anything. Don't say "I can't [insert accomplishment here]". I always tell the younger people in my family that feel like they are lost because they don't know what their "passion" is as soon as they graduate high school. Just do something! Anything!

The nature of life is that one thing leads to another. Things that might seem insignificant at the time can end up being pivotal moments in the future when you look back. No doubt there is something to be said about "being monogamous" when you do find a path, but until that time comes you should be dipping your toes into everything.

There are things you can be doing in the meantime which will be important no matter which path you choose... Start some kind of business that allows you more freedom in your life and can give you a lifestyle where you are free to be creative and explore yourself and your options. Choose something that will teach you sales, marketing, etc. These are all great things to know no matter who you are...

I wouldn't sweat too much about not knowing what your One Thing is. Take on 100 things and see where that gets you. If you wake up one day and can think of nothing but doing one thing, well, you won't be having this problem anymore...

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Lexauton

Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
151%
Jul 9, 2013
Minnesota
This is why I'm really glad that I've posted here. The minds that inhabit this forum are nothing short of brilliant. Whenever I log in I can feel the luster from these detailed and sincere answers chipping away at the terrible paradigms I've been encumbered by.

Onto replies!

Exactly, and to be correct, there's not only the most boring things that will make you successful, anything that bring value as we see everyday, or when new success story pop on the SMedia, can make you successful.

But i'm sure that, the things that the majority don't want to do, is where the money is.

There's many way to find ideas, i implore every one to have in the car, near your desk a little paper or a Remind / Notes gadget on the PC desktop, to write down any ideas that pass through your mind.
I mean before, i had ideas while driving but didn't wrote them down, now that i'm aware that these ideas can bring a lot of value, i got a few of them that have an opportunity to produce something cool.

It can be something seriously complex like something easy, an object, a product, a service..just write the idea down and search detail on the internet.

I was talking with another entrepreneur about how the concept art field is a "red ocean." Wrought with competition and dogma like many other industries that are creative and skill-based.

It's much smarter to spend time really developing some ideas that can become incredibly valuable if built for the sake of others.

This is "blue ocean." solving those problems with little to no competition. Nicheing down, yet freeing one's self up.

Great tips, btw. I keep paper everywhere with me now for plucking out stray ideas while driving around or engaged in errands and the like.

@Lexauton -- have you tried Patreon to try to gain more exposure to your work? (And get paid for it?)

I have tried and failed once! I was splitting myself between freelance, my side hustle, and patreon. People were signing up for my content, and I delivered it for 3 months before people dropped out. I was able to leverage the tutorials I made during that time for my side hustle, but my measly number of fans could feel that I was too divided, and dwindled after receiving their rewards.

However, I've re-done everything but the copy-writing for the main heading and the video. Once I've tapped into a niche that people want, I'll be able to re-launch and hopefully keep it afloat this time.

It's not the thing that you do at the moment that you must always like, but it is the result coming from it that must be satisfactory.

So what I'm saying is that you may hate the day to day work when you are working on a 200 hour mural for some building putting in 10 hour days, the work may suck, but the feeling of accomplishment when you are done far outweighs the work.

In fact, let me leave you with is. People who run marathons love running and completing them. But they don't LOVE everyday of training. Who wants to do a short 10 mile run when it's 40 degrees and raining. My point is that it is absolutely impossible to get any satisfaction, sense of accomplishment or fulfillment without PUTTING IN WORK THAT YOU DON'T LIKE.

Damn. This is the cherry on top to your previous post in this thread. Being so outcome-driven goes against the flow. It's the secret saboteur of goals and dreams. The process is what's important. Refining that, loving that, and hitting that daily until the ideal is forged.

The feeling of accomplishment is the golden state that can only be ascertained through showing up day after day, regardless of the "fun" factor or how "hard" it is. Thank you again for the insight, Biophase.

In other words, "do what you love" is a scam. Success comes from "doing what you hate" and then loving the result.

Succinctly stated!

Hey Taylor,
I have seen your branding before and really like what you build up. Your execution is pretty good.
As a fellow used-to-be wannabe concept artist, let me tell you some things(this is my opinion only).

The current state of the concept artist world is driven by ego. I.e. "I want to be the best artist ever and be as good as xxxxx".
This is pressure driven by marketing and game studios and the community as a whole. It´s not a bad concept, but fundamentally slowlane and driven by egoistic endeavors. This is basically do what you love. You become the consumer of the concept art marketing and all the art that is uploaded. You also become a reactive artist by following the trends.
What I did is unfollow every artist and deleted facebook to find what lies whithin. As biophase suggested, look deep within yourself and don´t get distracted by your talking mind.

After dropping art(yep), I felt free from the chains of scripted dogmas(paint every day to become good! it´s your passion!!! you surely love to be broke and work for other companies!!!).
I was honest with myself. My painting skills were neither special nor did they fill other people´s needs other than my selfish desire to be recognized as a great artist. For perspective, I was drawing/painting from 13-22 years and was determined to become the next Jeremy Mann.

Now let´s look at how you can leverage your current skills to build a fastlane business. You probably have a good creative sense as an artist.
There are quite a lot of working fastlane business models fit for a creative:

1. Pen-and Paper Games
2. Digital Games
3. Physical Product Creation(Ecomm)

As you notice, to fill the needs in these markets requires to develop additional skills. This is what is needed to solve needs.
You can either outsource some stuff, or learn it yourself. Me, for example, learned code to become an indie developer(it´s my ONE thing. It is a working business model and your success depends on execution. It still uses the available skillset and solves a need).

It is helpful to list criterias to decide it´s the ONE thing:
Does the business model solve a big problem/need?
Can it scale into millions?
Am I committed to the process even after failure?
Can I execute on it well now or in the future?(be honest)

You said it yourself. What you need now is financial freedom. Creative autonomy is something you already have, if you treat it as a hobby.
The problem with digital painting is that deep down, you aren´t committed to the process of HAVING to do it as a job and HAVING to become better). Doing what you love is also hugely driven by luck(which is against the commandmend of control).

In the end, digital art needs to be catalysed into a product, that people want.
Hope all this makes sense :D

First, I appreciate your nod to what execution I've been able to muster!

Second, thank you so much for sharing this, Mainstream. You've been inside the industry, so you've brought an element of clarity that I've never quite grasped before.

Only after reading your post a couple times has the veil started to lift. I got bound to the "gotta get better, gotta be beloved." mentality in my sophomore year of art school, and while it's earned me a decent degree of skill, it's caused so much pain. I was driven to work for these companies even when I hated it. They've successfully fostered a group-mentality that serves their ends whilst playing on the human tendency to fall into a dominance hierarchy.

I can only compare it to being in an "art cult." That dogma has been buried deep. It's funny how I thought myself mostly immune to so much marketing and advertising...But when it's coming from trusted sources (artists you respect, the industry and games in general) you're swayed without so much as a challenge. I didn't really question any aspect of that ego-driven mentality because it strolled right past my firewall and into my psyche.

You've also listed some super-helpful criteria and starting points for a creative-type person to work on. If there's one thing I can say safely, it's that I've grown accustomed to handling the process of learning and failing in that regard quite well.

Developing those additional skill sets (like your ability to code and become an indie dev) are integral.

This is a long winded-way of saying thank you for helping me dismantle chains I didn't even know I had.

Last thing I'll say is Jeremy Mann is a phenomenal artist, haha.

First I want to say that picture is badass! It really captures the imagination and who doesn't like gigantic monsters?

As for your "struggles"... I think you are on the right track. Reading books like The One Thing and contemplating your situation with a focus on the future are integral parts of finding personal success. I read The One Thing a while back and took a different meaning from it. We all interpret things differently but I saw Keller's book as an homage to doing your most important task first. Not necessarily picking one thing to do with your life and cutting everything else out. Granted I didn't finish the book because when I thought about the most important task I had on my list, reading that book was never it. haha

With someone that is multi-talented such as yourself in a world with unlimited opportunities and an ocean of information at your fingertips it's easy to feel overwhelmed with options. I would suggest going full blast into anything and everything that intrigues you. Don't say no to anything. Don't say "I can't [insert accomplishment here]". I always tell the younger people in my family that feel like they are lost because they don't know what their "passion" is as soon as they graduate high school. Just do something! Anything!

The nature of life is that one thing leads to another. Things that might seem insignificant at the time can end up being pivotal moments in the future when you look back. No doubt there is something to be said about "being monogamous" when you do find a path, but until that time comes you should be dipping your toes into everything.

There are things you can be doing in the meantime which will be important no matter which path you choose... Start some kind of business that allows you more freedom in your life and can give you a lifestyle where you are free to be creative and explore yourself and your options. Choose something that will teach you sales, marketing, etc. These are all great things to know no matter who you are...

I wouldn't sweat too much about not knowing what your One Thing is. Take on 100 things and see where that gets you. If you wake up one day and can think of nothing but doing one thing, well, you won't be having this problem anymore...

This is an absolutely wonderful perspective as well! I don't regret getting such a unique mesage from that particular book, as it was the driving force behind my posting here.

Sure, I've been scattered in a sense, but really what's been holding me back has been a lack of foundational business, marketing, and sales principles, as well as misaligned beliefs like the ones that are being upended by your reply and the replies of others.

All my pursuits have been creative, but not very remunerative. Sure, the ONE thing may show up one day, but if there's enough execution, perspiration, equanimity, and achievement in the interim, then why become unraveled?

Hard work, doing what's hated, pushing one's limits and letting life decide where the next moves are will undoubtedly beget new adventures and accomplishments. It can feel a bit like having too many balls in a pinball game, but some will naturally fall into the machine, while others might synergize to create the highest score imaginable.

Giant monsters are love <3. Big robots too.

This was a really awesome answer to my struggle. Thank you very much, GoodLuckChuck!

Last edited:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.