The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Spot BS: Post your favorite MLM pitch...

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

ExaltedLife

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
206%
Nov 10, 2015
I learned three valuable lessons from this experience:
1.) Be relentless about guarding your time. Money and relationships come and go, but the clock is always ticking and you can never earn back wasted hours of your life. Use it wisely. If something doesn't respect your time, cut it off or leave.

2.) Listen to your gut. If you feel something telling you that its too good to be true, it usually is. Trust yourself and don't fall prey to other peoples sales tactics.

3.) Trying to compete with 20,000 other people to sell the same products is going to compete the profit down to zero. If you can't add value, then don't waste your time - you are just chasing money. Aim to enter a business where you can make millions of dollars for your effort, not hundreds of dollars.

Awesome post, thanks for that story - it helped me to remember the same feelings I had after wasting my time on similar 'opportunities'. The 'god dammit, i've been had' feeling.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

workinprogress

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
176%
Nov 7, 2015
Had I raved (lied) about MLM in TMF , I would have sold a hell of lot more books. But I have no regrets. Some express their opinion in authenticity, others tailor their opinion to what will make them the most money.
That right there is why I frequent this forum, and am so glad I found your book. You are the real deal Mr. DeMarco.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

Camaro68

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
379%
Mar 16, 2017
Twin Cities, MN
I love when people think they are hot shit because they drive a 10 year old, 5 thousand dollar BMW. Enjoy paying out the a$$ on maintenance for your German mistake, attempting to impress other poor people into thinking you're less poor then them.

This made me laugh, its so true! In college I had a roommate who was a deadbeat. He did terrible in school, never had his share of the rent in time and had gotten his high school GF prego at graduation so had a kid that he dumped on his mom during "his weekends". I remember he used to get the card with money on it from the state for groceries...a real piece of work...I could always tell because his shelf would be packed with junk food at the beginning of every month.....anyway he bought a 10yr old BMW coupe that was red and clean, no rust, actually looked sharp. The alternator went out and he didn't have the $125 to go down to Advanced and buy it so I gave him the money and held his XBOX as collateral haha (I knew to CYA even back then).

Anyway, we were out several times or had house parties and MULTIPLE times I would hear girls comment on that BMW being a "hot car!". I couldn't believe it, I think he paid $4k for the thing and it had just shy of 200k miles on it. They had no clue he was broke as a joke and the thing has serious reliability issues (engine knocks not just the alternator).

Simple people are impressed and attracted by flashy things IMO. Faking a financial status to impress others is pathetic IMO and immature. I'd always rather be the guy who was loaded and nobody knew, but that's just me.

(side note) That former roommate used to skateboard, he had a buddy that made a video to sell online of them skateboarding (didn't sell) and one summer they jumped in the other kids family mini van and road tripped down to Florida to skate around and video tape it so he had content for the DVD to sell. The kid with the minivan paid for all the gas on the trip down...it was a "free" trip for him. The guy "sponsored" him....and you guessed it...my roommate was a PRO SKATEBOARDER! Add a 24x24 picture on his bedroom wall of him on a skateboard in some skate park for legitimacy and the girls ATE IT UP!! haha I still laugh about that. I will give the old roommate one thing, he was the KING of BS, sooo good and looking at something I didn't think was a big deal and spinning it to make it sound like the greatest thing in the world. I swear he could have been a garbage man and spun it somehow so he could pick up girls with it, gotta give him props on that

Roli

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
Jun 3, 2015
Had I raved (lied) about MLM in TMF , I would have sold a hell of lot more books.

I'm bloody glad you didn't! I wouldn't be here now, and I wouldn't have gained all the wonderful benefits from being a member. I give you a very sincere thank you for not selling out.

TreyAllDay

Whatever it takes
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
311%
Feb 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
This nice enough guy chatted me up in the Sauna at the gym late one night, he didn't tell me what he did, he said he "Helps people reach their goals, part time.". He took my card and then 2 days later called and asked me to meet him and his wife for a business opportunity, from 6-7 at a coffee shop. The "BUSINESS" was something he couldn't talk about.

Found out he was with AMWAY lol. It's insane how brainwashed those people are. What's weird, is other people at the gym have said this guy has talked to them.

Do they train these people to go public places and chat people up? I didn't even see him work out, and it was late late like midnight, he just came and talked to people and left.

Sanj Modha

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
315%
Feb 16, 2016
In Your Newsfeed
Had I raved (lied) about MLM in TMF , I would have sold a hell of lot more books. But I have no regrets. Some express their opinion in authenticity, others tailor their opinion to what will make them the most money.

I think RD/PD is massively overrated. It's not even real - Kiyosaki didn't have 'two dads' like he claimed in the book and the co-author sued his a$$ too.

Rich Dad = Robert Kiyosaki. Poor Dad = any dad who bought the book.

amp0193

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
444%
May 27, 2013
United States
I think RD/PD is massively overrated. It's not even real - Kiyosaki didn't have 'two dads' like he claimed in the book and the co-author sued his a$$ too.

Rich Dad = Robert Kiyosaki. Poor Dad = any dad who bought the book.

Whether or not it was real or fiction, and the controversy surrounding it, it communicated fastlane ideas in an accessible way to the mainstream.

I likely wouldn't be where I am if that book hadn't got me thinking differently years ago.

Sanj Modha

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
315%
Feb 16, 2016
In Your Newsfeed
Whether or not it was real or fiction, and the controversy surrounding it, it communicated fastlane ideas in an accessible way to the mainstream.

I likely wouldn't be where I am if that book hadn't got me thinking differently years ago.

I don't have a problem with fiction. But don't pass it off as fact which is what Kiyosaki did and was busted for it. There's enough BS in this industry. TBH, I've read 10 x more powerful stuff since reading a few chapters off RD/PD.

I loved The Alchemist. That's fiction and pretty powerful too.

BillyMaysHere27

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
155%
Mar 29, 2017
Atlanta, GA
Hate to admit this, but I fell for one of these in college... Only because I had 3 good friends making enough money to pay their bills and drive cars paid for my the company (which they still have and own). It's definitely a short term scheme to make the top dawgs rich. However, I do have a buddy that is an absolute savage in sales and got in with a mlm company in the early stages and is now pulling in 24k a MONTH... at 25 years old... Now he travels the world and takes his payout (that he doesn't have to do anything for anymore) and uses it to fund his fastlane business. He also has 23k followers on instagram and pulls in money from there too.. So for some people it definitely works if it's not their end goal to sell energy drinks to their friends and they take that money and put it towards building their own business. I'm not at all promoting mlm or saying that people should do it or not, I'm simply just telling you that there are a FEW people that really do make good money doing this kind of stuff. I just happen to know a handful personally. Not my cup of tea though.

KSR

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
182%
Feb 28, 2017
Australia
My life is consumed by MLM. My mum is a sucker for them (I love the woman and try to point it all out but she's a hopeful one), my sister has fallen for a couple.

Recently the manager at my gym has been trying to coerce me into buying into a 'business opportunity', smelled it from a mile away... hesitated to tell me the company name, got it out of them. The first thing I do when I get home from the gym is conduct a simple Google search '[Company] scam' and funnily enough the first thing that pops up is 9 people arrested for fraud. These MLM's are a F*cken' cult man (excuse the language).

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Bumptydumptee...

LifeTransformer

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
123%
Feb 20, 2015
I've been posting a lot in the Ethereum thread... If you want to see some MLM insanity going on? Cryptocurrency is where it's at.

10 level deep referral programs on some of them, isn't that sweet?

I just need to get Trump to sign up under me!

It's like Ponzi on a pyramid with a cherry on top.

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
This ain't MLM but it's damn close.

A friend of mine started seeing a guy who got really into those motivational seminars where they 'awaken your potential' and all that crap.

Sound familiar? The seminar is like $1500 or something and it's in LA. Best of all: there are 3 levels. It's like Scientology or some shit.

She stopped seeing him, shortly afterwards, he starts telling her "how much motivation he has now" and how much "the seminar could help her".

He wants to bring her on board and he said he was considering getting his coach certificate.

This same company which has 3 levels of 'motivational seminars' also sells a 'coaching class' so you can 'teach others these techniques'. This also runs like $1500.

So, 3 $1500 classes, plus a $1500 coaching class. $6000 to get the 'qualifications' to hype people up.

In the 3rd class, they teach people that they should bring their friends aboard because awakening others' potentials is how you awaken yours even further.

What the actual F*ck?!

So if someone comes to you saying that something could 'awaken your potential' or 'fill the void' or 'break past personal AND professional plateaus'... run in the other direction.

Ninjakid

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
217%
Jun 23, 2014
Buddy Guy Eh
Have you guys ever noticed that people in MLM's never say exactly what they are?

Like they will call it "entrepreneurship" or "sales" or "mentorship" and give you some cockamamey explanation about how it works, but they will NEVER call it multi-level marketing.

No I don't hate them, like I don't hate anyone. I just find them incredibly cringworthy and would rather they stay 100 feet away from me at all times.

Sanj Modha

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
315%
Feb 16, 2016
In Your Newsfeed
Have you guys ever noticed that people in MLM's never say exactly what they are?

Like they will call it "entrepreneurship" or "sales" or "mentorship" and give you some cockamamey explanation about how it works, but they will NEVER call it multi-level marketing.

No I don't hate them, like I don't hate anyone. I just find them incredibly cringworthy and would rather they stay 100 feet away from me at all times.

Or "network marketing". That's a new one for me.

Iammelissamoore

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
239%
Sep 23, 2014
Trinidad and Tobago
The gentleman who came hoping to recruit me went through his presentation and even 'guaranteed' me that I will make a whole lot of money, his exact words,
"Trust me, you will make a whole lot of money, there are millionaires who travel the world that built their fortunes from this."

Needless to say, he was a member for over a year, drove a super old, beaten up vehicle and wore a pair of eyeglasses which was held up on one side with a make-shift piece of wire, which he attempted to mould as the handle to rest on his ear so it would sit properly on his face.

Now, don't get me wrong about the super old, beaten up vehicle part - I have absolutely no problem there, but eyeglasses, I don't know anyone "who travel the world that built their fortunes" who'd do that to themselves.

Clearly, him being in the MLM for over a year prove fruitless and was an immediate injustice to anyone who joined a team with him as their "mentor/upline".

Scot

Salad Dressing Empire
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
472%
Jul 10, 2016
Florida
The first red flag is when people who I've never carried a conversation with before or talked to in years hit me up on Facebook.

15 minutes of asking about how I'm doing and what's going on in my life... then asking if I've heard about Advocare...

G-Man

Cantankerous Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
544%
Jan 13, 2014
Lularoe (sp?) event and was all over FB trying to recruit with pictures of a private Katy Perry concert they had at their national convention.

If finding yourself in a convention center full of middle aged women listening to Katy Perry and selling stretch pants doesn't make you question your life choices, I don't know what will.

Mac

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
Feb 10, 2015
I was pitching a business on a service and then the guy turns it into a reverse pitch where he's trying to sell me on a course for $5K. The owner of this business was also a consultant for this course.

He was telling me that I was going to be a millionaire in 6 months.

The course apparently teaches you how to "take what's up here" *as he points to his head* and bring it to life out here (referencing the physical world)

SPEEDratRACER

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
278%
Aug 3, 2017
Pennsylvania USA
Them: How would you like to make your weekly salary for 1 hour of work?
Me: How do I do that?
Them: Call all of your friends, family, and everyone you ever meet and we will show them a simple presentation.
Me: What if they say no?
Them: Don't worry, we will teach you how to be a sleazy bastard.
Me: Great sign me up!
Them: That will be $100

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Here is my response to one of these people a few years ago... She just couldn't grasp this concept.

Curious, you still talk to this person?

TheNewRich

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
119%
May 17, 2017
usa
I don't know whats worse... MLM or people like Tanner J Fox claiming he's making a mill+ from 1.5 years on Amazon FBA

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AjXKRwV7Dss
Himself and a Guy named Ryan Hildreth. They've already mastered the stock market and Wall street day trading,
Affiliate marketing, and Social Media Marketing selling courses for it all.

I swear they just buy courses like Tais and re-word the shit...

SYK

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
227%
Mar 24, 2014
There's a local entrepreneur nerworking meetup near me.

Been a couple of times. But it's been completely overrun by MLM peddlers, which has sucked the life out of it. Instead of meeting people, you just get pitched the dream and then they get bewildered when I tell them to cram it.

Funniest part is, a lot of them are pitching the same thing so they get shitty when someone else in the room is also selling the same type of snake oil.

The big new one is a miracle wearable patch you wear all day that "releases vitamins and minerals only when your body needs them".

Being into fitness, naturally I probed...

SYK: "What's in it?"
MLM'er: "Hundreds of vitamins and minerals"
SYK: "Yeah, but what exactly?"
MLM'er: "Just all kinds of vitamins and minerals"
SYK: "OK.... how does it work? I mean, how does your body only know to draw from it when it needs?"
MLM'er: "Ummmmm... I'm not really sure. But, but since I've started wearing it I get up at 5am, I used to drink 3 cups of coffee now I need none, I never get tired, I've seen it change people's lives..."

Best thing was... when we started talking she'd just told me how tired and exhausted she was. Might need another magic sticker, darling.

Mac

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
Feb 10, 2015
Anotherperson I recently came across in Asia was a guy trying to tell me that he has a cream that cures cancer and autism.
He said it was banned by the FDA and they're no longer able to produce it because they were "shaking up the pharma industry".

He legitimately tried to tell me that people were calling him crying because they need more of this cream for their children.

Now he only keeps a private stash in case he gets cancer in the future. As my British friends would say "What a load of bullocks."

workinprogress

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
176%
Nov 7, 2015
Anotherperson I recently came across in Asia was a guy trying to tell me that he has a cream that cures cancer and autism.
He said it was banned by the FDA and they're no longer able to produce it because they were "shaking up the pharma industry".

He legitimately tried to tell me that people were calling him crying because they need more of this cream for their children.

Now he only keeps a private stash in case he gets cancer in the future. As my British friends would say "What a load of bullocks."
That sounds wild. Doesn't sound like an MLM persay though, unless he's trying to sell it through that pyramid business model.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.