• The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success
  1. Join 40,000+ entrepreneurs
    who are kicking butt and
    winning their dream life.

Unscripted™ Entrepreneurship:
    A Business That Pays More Than Money, It Pays Time.

"Fastlane" is an entrepreneur discussion forum based on The Unscripted Entrepreneurial Framework (TUNEF) outlined in the two best-selling books by MJ DeMarco (The Millionaire Fastlane and UNSCRIPTED™). From multimillionaires to digital nomads, the forum features real entrepreneurs creating real businesses.

Download (Unscripted) Download (Millionaire Fastlane)  Register
    Registering for the forum removes this block!

FORUM SEARCH

Get answers about starting a business from real entrepreneurs. Powered by Google.

NOTABLE! SinisterLex's - I Deleted My Upwork Account...

Discussion in 'Hustles, Freelancing, Bootstrapping' started by SinisterLex, Jan 30, 2017.

1. HackVenture

HackVenture Digital Marketer, Crypto Guy Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $1,894
    Thanks for the suggestions! I'm semi proficient at HTML/CSS as I've had to do stuff myself for some of my projects, and Python is exactly what I'm looking to learn currently, I've bought a few courses on Udemy to learn exactly that. Not gonna hijack this thread further, so I'm going to PM you with some questions, hope you don't mind :)

lowtek likes this.
  2. CurtRod

CurtRod Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane

Rep Bank:
    $284
    Second attempt was rejected, I've done some more edits and submitted a third. However, I've been reading that UpWork may have flat out locked certain categories due to market saturation, not sure how true that is.

My first attempt was a 'you' focused profile, my second was a 'me' focused one using "Professional Technical Writer" as my title. I've also submitted a profile on PeoplePerHour, but I'm waiting on that approval.

Any suggestions anyone has for writing specific skills/titles I can use are welcome.

Edit:
    Third attempt was rejected. I did get approved on PeoplePerHour within 45 minutes of submitting a profile that was almost a duplicate of my original 'you' focused one for UpWork. So I think I'll give them a shot to build some portfolio stuff for UpWork.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2018
    Xeon likes this.
  3. Boba

Boba New Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $22
    I tried to open an account for a friend, a senior Java developer, and got the message that there are too many java programmers on UpWork already. The thing is I opened my account there in December as a Java developer with no problems, and I'm not located in the USA...

What was the rejection message?

4. Heenay Patel

Heenay Patel New Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $16
    I've seen your videos on YouTube, Lex, and I honestly assumed you were doing them at a professional studio, not at home! Seriously cool, man. You should consider getting a sidekick. :)

ZF Lee and SinisterLex like this.
  5. SinisterLex

SinisterLex The moments that define you have already happened. Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR

Rep Bank:
    $28,767
  6. Christian McGhee

Christian McGhee Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $1,151
    I was able to successfully join upwork. Took about 3 hours. I used the recommendation for customer service, and made sure that my profile was 100% completed. I am having a problem with my ID being verified, but we'll see. Thanks for the for all your contributions @SinisterLex

Kham and SinisterLex like this.
  7. Valsore

Valsore New Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $91
    Hi @SinisterLex, really inspirational thread. I was wondering what you think I can improve about this proposal I just sent. Your feedback would help others on the forum too I think.

I'll post the job description and my proposal as well. There wasn't much info for me to go on, but I tried making the most out of it.

Job Info
    upload_2018-4-2_19-26-55.png

Proposal
    upload_2018-4-2_19-27-46.png

SinisterLex and Tommo like this.
  8. holmzee

holmzee Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $3,308
    Being honest? I think you had the opportunity to sell yourself a bit more than you did. You focus is important but the client still has to know what you can do for them. If I were a client and I read this proposal, I would think "Okay cool, he actually talked about my problems, etc. But he didn't tell me how he could solve them."

Just my two cents.

Valsore and SinisterLex like this.
  9. Kham

Kham New Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $11
    Yay! Just got accepted to work on Upwork. 4th times the charm. I'm going to read through this thread and get started on getting some jobs.

SinisterLex and Christian McGhee like this.
  10. SinisterLex

SinisterLex The moments that define you have already happened. Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR

Rep Bank:
    $28,767
    Something like this is good enough for most clients most of the time. Addressing them first and following up with questions is more than enough to get a response and show you probably care. Other freelancers will send sh*t proposals, so this will stand out at the very least. If you don't get the interview it won't be due to a poor proposal. It just means someone wrote a better one that said more of what the client wanted to read. I'd use less questions.

One area where the proposal doesn't connect is the tone. Notice how the client uses an excited tone in their writing. To match that, you also need to show excitement in your writing. They use exclamation points. You don't. So it doesn't send the same vibes back. This is a basic principle of "liking." We like people who are like us. Overall it's a good enough proposal style for most gigs.

11. SquatchMan

SquatchMan Gold Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $7,468
    Decided to restart Upwork for some extra cash. I have a few jobs and 5 star reviews from last year.

Went from $0 to $500/week in a little under a month. Higher than the minimum wage and good business experience.

Also, still not saturated lol.

Raoul Duke and SinisterLex like this.
  12. Valsore

Valsore New Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $91
    Thanks for the feedback! I'll take this into account for my next proposals.

Thanks for this. Good point about the tone. I see what you mean, but you had to point it out haha. It's interesting how you just spot these things, I guess it just comes with experience.

13. Hugh Nivers

Hugh Nivers Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $581
    I've now read 2 of your threads @SinisterLex and all I have to say is "Damn YOU!" ;)

I'm trying to focus on my fastlane biz, but your copy is so good here at TFLF that I'm having a hard time resisting your spell. You paint such beautiful and tasty word pictures.

As I read, I keep telling myself I'll just practice my copywriting on my own project and ask for feedback, but I feel like the opportunity to replace one of my two jobs while honing a skill and helping real clients may be unbearably seductive. Opportunity cost is such a bitch. Decisions. Decisions.

Whatever I decide, thanks for all the value. You're definitely one of the givers.

P.S. Cute baby. I've had three.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2018
  14. itech

itech New Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane

Rep Bank:
    $45
    That comment is bang out of order, sinister lex is great and hilarious, i like his "weirdness". And lex takes the time out to come on here and offer a ton of value to this forum and other mediums.

SinisterLex likes this.
  15. PabloBlanco

PabloBlanco Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED

Rep Bank:
    $84
    Totally agree. This place is full of incredible information given by people who continue to walk the walk. Thanks @SinisterLex for his continued insights - I find there's so much that's transferrable to any business.

OlaWebEmpire, Kham, ZF Lee and 2 others like this.
  16. hughs

hughs Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $152
    I'm going to give it a try, been having some technical issues making an account. got ID through and currently under review.

it does sting a bit that they take 20%! but lots of promising jobs posted.

17. DClaiborne

DClaiborne Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane FASTLANE INSIDER

Rep Bank:
    $184
    Decided to jump in the copy writing freelancing pool as I try to figure some other things out.

Started my upwork profile back on Friday, took the weekend to craft my intro profile and write copy about my own copy. After 2-3 revisions, I posted it this morning and already jumping into proposals.

It's been a few years since I did copy outside of my daily sales job, but I forgot how much I enjoy it.

Thanks for the inspiration @SinisterLex and I'll keep things updated in here until it really starts moving along.

edit: Tried typing this before coffee... Bad idea

Last edited: Apr 9, 2018
    OlaWebEmpire, SinisterLex and Kham like this.
  18. OlaWebEmpire

OlaWebEmpire New Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $28
    I have an upwork account that's about a month old since I opened and verified it.

Now I got @SinisterLex 's upwork proposals submission course... I just finished watching them and I am looking at using the method to jump start my freelancing career.

I will update this post as everything goes.

Thanks
    Ola

19. OlaWebEmpire

OlaWebEmpire New Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $28
    I think he's very good.

PabloBlanco and SinisterLex like this.
  20. PabloBlanco

PabloBlanco Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED

Rep Bank:
    $84
    80% of something is much better than 100% of nothing.

SinisterLex likes this.
  21. Heenay Patel

Heenay Patel New Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $16
    Lol, that is so adorable! Congratulations. Now that you've got a kid, I think you'll have to mend your sinister ways. :)

22. DrunkFish

DrunkFish Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $1,228
    Definitely not saturated. I only used half my connects over the course of a week and I had 5 bites and 2, potentially 3 new clients for $600-2k a month services. I had a fleshed out portfolio with some good reviews from previous work that was from a few years ago (which was sparked originally by Lex, but not this time, but thought id contribute for anyone else thinking about it)

23. SinisterLex

Rep Bank:
    $28,767