The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Lex DeVille's - I Deleted My Upwork Account...

Lex DeVille

Sweeping Shadows From Dreams
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
598%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
I'm deleting my Upwork account to start over from scratch to prove the freelance market isn't as saturated as everyone believes. The reason you can't get work isn't "market saturation". It isn't "fake" clients. It isn't Upwork's algorithms being "mean" to you or that you're brand new and don't have any feedback or a portfolio. It's that you aren't doing the work to stand out and help people.

You can still go from $0.00 to $1,000+ per month or more and get your first taste of sales and entrepreneurship fast. But it won't happen by spamming applications hoping something sticks. It won't come from getting mad at Upwork because you feel entitled to gigs. It won't happen by doing anything other than helping other people get sh*t done.

So I'm going to delete my Upwork account in about a week when I finish work on my copywriting crash course. For now this thread is a placeholder. I'll video document progress through YouTube and post here, so if you want to tag along, feel free to watch this thread and maybe pick up some pointers that help you in some way.

Later.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

JSM

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
243%
Nov 19, 2016
I'm looking forward to this! Lex your stuff is awesome!

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Way to go Lex, bust that narrative!

Utopia

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
Oct 7, 2016
Traveling
I'm deleting my Upwork account to start over from scratch to prove the freelance market isn't as saturated as everyone believes. The reason you can't get work isn't "market saturation". It isn't "fake" clients. It isn't Upwork's algorithms being "mean" to you or that you're brand new and don't have any feedback or a portfolio. It's that you aren't doing the work to stand out and help people.

You can still go from $0.00 to $1,000+ per month or more and get your first taste of sales and entrepreneurship fast. But it won't happen by spamming applications hoping something sticks. It won't come from getting mad at Upwork because you feel entitled to gigs. It won't happen by doing anything other than helping other people get sh*t done.

So I'm going to delete my Upwork account in about a week when I finish work on my copywriting crash course. For now this thread is a placeholder. I'll video document progress through YouTube and post here, so if you want to tag along, feel free to watch this thread and maybe pick up some pointers that help you in some way.

Later.
How will it get done?

I appreciate your initiative in this and you setting out on this path, but this post is rather useless unless you actually share anything of value. Great a placeholder. Thanks.

Waspy

Float like a butterfly
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
461%
Dec 6, 2016
U.K.
Can you share what that person did that made you hire him/her vs what the other freelancers did?

I was actually planning on starting a thread to explain the difference between the good applications and bad ones, and I don't want to hijack Lex's thread here, but basically he gave a damn. He asked questions about how certain aspects would work, offered alternative solutions etc. Majority of the other applicants put their offer at exactly my budget and said "I can do this easy. I'll start tomorrow". For the record, the developer I hired had an offer twice my stated budget.

juan917

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
181%
Jul 27, 2015
mother_of_god_by_rober_raik-d4cw2di.png

Lex DeVille

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
598%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
How will it get done?

I appreciate your initiative in this and you setting out on this path, but this post is rather useless unless you actually share anything of value. Great a placeholder. Thanks.

Don't worry, I'll give exact steps so you can copy it into an ebook and post it on LinkedIn when I'm done...

Also, when you use the word "but" right after a statement like, "I appreciate your initiative," it cancels the sentiment and tends to piss people off. But that's a copywriting lesson and this is a freelance thread and I wouldn't want to post anything useless so you should probably ignore this post too.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Yes, but.

SquatchMan

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
383%
Dec 27, 2016
Nowhere
Good job on this. Look forward to reading this thread. I remember reading a Reddit thread and a few people were saying it took two months of submitting proposals to get their first job...

I got my first job on my fourth proposal and just made $25/hr on my fourth job. It really is all about showing you can add value to the client in the proposal. Most of the Redditors were probably spamming out generic proposals or talking about themselves too much.

Utopia

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
Oct 7, 2016
Traveling
Don't worry, I'll give exact steps so you can copy it into an ebook and post it on LinkedIn when I'm done...

Also, when you use the word "but" right after a statement like, "I appreciate your initiative," it cancels the sentiment and tends to piss people off. But that's a copywriting lesson and this is a freelance thread and I wouldn't want to post anything useless so you should probably ignore this post too.
Thanks, but that was in NLP before it even came to copywriting. Stop talking and get to working so I can get to that post on linkedin.

Lex DeVille

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
598%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
Thanks, but that was in NLP before it even came to copywriting. Stop talking and get to working so I can get to that post on linkedin.

#ignored for ignorant statements...

For anyone else reading this, the concept of neuro-linguistic programming (NLP) began in the 1970s. I wasn't born until 1987 so I can't say with absolute certainty that people sold things with words prior to that, but I'm pretty sure they did.

Last edited:

ZF Lee

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jul 27, 2016
Malaysia

Later.
Preview

Sadik

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
305%
Jan 26, 2017
Kolkata, India
@SinisterLex I am a bit lost on what you are trying to say with this thread.

I made about $40K on Upwork in 2016. I recently started a Freelancing Blog where I primarily help very new freelancers in navigating Upwork and NO I am not selling anything here.

I don't want to post any links, so if anyone is interested or has doubts, you can PM me. And very honestly, if any of you want help with Upwork proposals please ask.

Lex DeVille

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
598%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah

QDF

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
401%
Jan 1, 2014
How will it get done?

Lol. Who the fook is this guy?

Looking forward to the progress. Often thought about doing something similar with ecommerce with a bit of a twist...maybe in the future.

JAJT

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
549%
Aug 7, 2012
Ontario, Canada
I was doing upwork for a bit last year. Copy work for Amazon products.

I don't know how anyone can claim it's too saturated because I was being literally flooded with work requests. It was very quickly becoming obvious that it would be in excess of a full time job if I let it.

My entire profile consisted of the required fields, a few tests, a photo, and 2-3 examples in my portfolio.

On top of that - almost every single copy client was sending me multiple pieces of work after the first successful job. One guy tried giving me over 80 projects at once "to start" after my second deliverable to him and his team. Many of them were asking me to go off upwork to work for them directly to increase my pay by cutting out upwork from the equation. Others wanted me to transition to their other non-amazon work (web copy, etc...)

I actually ended up finishing up the projects I had on the go, kept my favorite "occasional work" client, and turned my account off. I didn't enjoy it enough to turn it into a full time job. It was a really fun little ride though.

Then after turning my account off I even got a few folks reaching out to me on linkedin and skype asking if I'd take them on.

Anyone who wants to get into this needs to just hop in and get on with it - worrying about saturation may be an issue when you are about to invest thousands into a project but for something that is free and takes an afternoon to setup just dive in and give it a try... You'll likely be pleasantly surprised at how easy it will be to get work going.

Ronak

Gold Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
317%
Sep 13, 2013
I never posted about it, but last year, I experimented with Upwork just for the heck of it. Fresh account, no portfolio, etc. Just glancing over your posts and roughly applying your guidelines, I submitted a handful of proposals over about 30 mins or so.

Without really trying made over $500 working about 9 hours on stuff that was actually enjoyable. Not actively pursuing it anymore, but its good to know that there's a way to make quick cash if I were so inclined.

JAJT

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
549%
Aug 7, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Not actively pursuing it anymore, but its good to know that there's a way to make quick cash if I were so inclined.

This was my major takeaway as well.

I didn't enjoy it enough to keep at it but I KNOW if I'm up against the wall I can do upwork full time for likely more than I can make finding a traditional job relatively easily.

Lex DeVille

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
598%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
This was my major takeaway as well.

I didn't enjoy it enough to keep at it but I KNOW if I'm up against the wall I can do upwork full time for likely more than I can make finding a traditional job relatively easily.

This is one of the biggest reasons I don't care so much about taking big risks anymore. When you know you can make full-time income from anywhere in the world by like tomorrow...those other worries and hesitations just sort of fade away.

Originally I was just gonna post this progress on YouTube -- it wasn't specifically for the forum, but I'm sure some here will find it useful too. The people in the market I'm targeting aren't Fastlane entrepreneurs per se. They don't understand the mindset yet, unlike so many posters here. But I mention the Fastlane Forum in a lot of my videos so some end up making their way here anyway. The point is, the people I'm making these videos for DO make all kinds of crazy excuses, with market saturation being one of the most common, followed closely by, "there's no high paying clients" and "I can't get jobs."

luniac

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Dec 7, 2012
brooklyn
my only issue is, who the hell do i think i am trying to sell copywriting services with no copywriting experience.

I've read your freelancing posts about focusing on the client, what you can do for them, how you can help solve their problems, not focusing on me me me, and that general attitude.

But i still feel like a bullshitter.

let's say i hit up someone with message sort of like:
"hi there, i've checked out your job description and did some research about your business and your client needs etc etc etc
I think i could really help you get your message accross and increase your conversions bla bla bla.
Lets work together"

and the clients's like wow this guy researched my company, really analyzed my problem and really wants to help me create great copy, ima hire this dude.

But the truth is I just ehhh... seduced my way to a copywrite job...
I'm not actually qualified to do it... I don't have any successes or even experience.
I'm basically scamming the guy with social engineering.

Hell even in an industry i DO have experience in, like app development for example. I haven't had any financial success yet, so i still feel like any advise i give should be taken with a huge grain of salt because it's UNPROVEN. It's very educated advise, but it comes from me, someone who has yet to have any financial success in the industry im giving advice in.

Ronak

Gold Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
317%
Sep 13, 2013
my only issue is, who the hell do i think i am trying to sell copywriting services with no copywriting experience.

I've read your freelancing posts about focusing on the client, what you can do for them, how you can help solve their problems, not focusing on me me me, and that general attitude.

But i still feel like a bullshitter.

let's say i hit up someone with message sort of like:
"hi there, i've checked out your job description and did some research about your business and your client needs etc etc etc
I think i could really help you get your message accross and increase your conversions bla bla bla.
Lets work together"

and the clients's like wow this guy researched my company, really analyzed my problem and really wants to help me create great copy, ima hire this dude.

But the truth is I just ehhh... seduced my way to a copywrite job...
I'm not actually qualified to do it... I don't have any successes or even experience.
I'm basically scamming the guy with social engineering.

Hell even in an industry i DO have experience in, like app development for example. I haven't had any financial success yet, so i still feel like any advise i give should be taken with a huge grain of salt because it's UNPROVEN. It's very educated advise, but it comes from me, someone who has yet to have any financial success in the industry im giving advice in.

1) Who says you have to sell copywriting? Pick anything you're good at and do that- web design, programming, PPC, graphic design, whatever.

2) The very things you have to do to convince the client are the same things you have to do for a copywriting job-- research, articulating the problem, taking them through the benefits of the potential solution, etc. If you can "seduce" them into going with you, you have the skills you need. Also, no one said you have to start with a major job for a multinational company. It can be as simply as writing a 2 page letter.

lowtek

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
332%
Oct 3, 2015
Phoenix, AZ

LOL

That's savage

Love it. I'll be watching YouTube for your updates. Good content on there, by the way :)

I go back and forth on whether or not I should use Upwork. I've gotten some good clients, and a guy who tried to stiff me out of $500.

When I get requests to interview for PPC stuff I accept, but I don't spend time sending in applications otherwise.

AndrewNC

Limitless
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
433%
Nov 14, 2011
I'm deleting my Upwork account to start over from scratch to prove the freelance market isn't as saturated as everyone believes.

I see what you're doing here, and I don't like it.

And...

I mean but...

I mean, I don't know.

Bump.

Looking forward to see the progress :)

Oh yeah, this is where I was going with this.

I remember a number of years ago this personal trainer purposely made himself 70 pounds overweight and he gained a lot of attention through the mainstream media for that.

Go big or go home brotha! It's time to up the stakes:

1) Delete upwork.
2) Donate all your money to charity.
3) Buy a plane ticket to the middle of Africa without cash or a passport.
4) Record your journey to the top.

Last edited:

JAJT

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
549%
Aug 7, 2012
Ontario, Canada
1) Delete upwork.
2) Donate all your money to charity.
3) But a plane ticket to the middle of Africa without cash or a passport.
4) Record your journey to the top.

Ha, that's actually pretty close to the origin story of Ozymandias from the graphic novel "The Watchmen".

From wiki:

"After his parents' deaths, he inherited their substantial fortune at the young age of 17, but he chose to give it all to charity and embark on a vision quest, following the route of his childhood idol Alexander the Great. His rationale was that he wanted to be free from money and make something of himself on his own, from nothing. During an excursion into the Middle East..."

And of course he then went on to be one of the wealthiest independent people on the planet. But I digress...

startinup

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
328%
Jul 8, 2016
"there's no high paying clients" and "I can't get jobs."

I don't know why people worry about pay when they first start out...

I just finished my first job, and I did it all for $5/hour. I will keep working for this low pay, for a couple more small jobs until my profile is appealing enough to raise my rates.

But when you first start out, all you have is a picture, overview, and some tests if you've done them. NO completed jobs. NO Hours worked. NO credibility. The only way you can show value is by writing an amazing overview. Potential clients have no idea if you will be worth it or not. So, your goal is to make the risk as low as possible for them.

thinkandgrowrich

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
168%
Nov 29, 2016
I've tried getting clients on Upwork during my free time and I've had no success. Only a couple responses that led to nowhere.

Not gonna lie, I've even copied some proposals and still got nothing lol.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.