The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Should you create a separate LinkedIn profile for your business?

NewManRising

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
147%
Oct 30, 2017
Los Angeles
Hi guys,

So I already have a LinkedIn profile but it is job-focused. I have my resume on there, job history, education, etc. All my contacts are people I graduated with, some friends, and people that work in the field I am in.

I am in the process of launching a business and a website. I also want to use my LinkedIn profile as a way to network. Do I create a separate profile for all this? Or just add it to my already existing account? What did some of you guys do? It is a little awkward for me because the business I am launching is way different than what I do for a career. And the connections I have, none of them are really business-related people.

Thanks

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Personally, I like seeing people’s history in their LinkedIn profile or CV. It’s interesting to see them in one industry or profession and gradually morph into something else.

I personally don’t mind who I’m connected to on LinkedIn. It’s a business platform so people are in work mode.

Anyway, check out mine here: www.andyblack.net

Just my own 2c

jon.M

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
343%
Jul 4, 2016
Sweden
Could networking for your own business on LinkedIn lead to trouble with your current employer if they happened to find out?

ColbyG

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
121%
May 19, 2017
Newcastle, Australia
Could networking for your own business on LinkedIn lead to trouble with your current employer if they happened to find out?
It's generally better to tell your work that you're doing it, but usually as long as what you're doing isn't in direct competition to your workplace they shouldn't really care.

But as always, it depends.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Scot

Salad Dressing Empire
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
473%
Jul 10, 2016
Florida
I created a separate profile on LinkedIn.

The primary reason? Well, if my boss found out I started a company he’d probably fire me. My LinkedIn is full of people in my day job industry, so it would take about 30 seconds for someone to get wind of what I was up to.

So, I created a separate account and my network is built up of people in the food industry. So far, it’s workdd quite well for me.

JG17

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
223%
Oct 22, 2018
London, UK
Personally what I plan on doing is using my same LinkedIn but adding it to my profile a little while after commencing business, with the correct date of when I started, without sending a notification to my connections. Then if anyone views my profile and notices they'll be able to think back and see that it hasn't affected my performance and is basically none of their business.

But then I work in a completely different industry to my business so there is zero conflict of interest.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.