The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success

Should you create a separate LinkedIn profile for your business?

NewManRising

Silver Contributor
Read Millionaire Fastlane
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Oct 30, 2017
White City, OR
Hi guys,

So I already have a LinkedIn profile but it is job-focused. I have my resume on there, job history, education, etc. All my contacts are people I graduated with, some friends, and people that work in the field I am in.

I am in the process of launching a business and a website. I also want to use my LinkedIn profile as a way to network. Do I create a separate profile for all this? Or just add it to my already existing account? What did some of you guys do? It is a little awkward for me because the business I am launching is way different than what I do for a career. And the connections I have, none of them are really business-related people.

Thanks

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum. Subscribe.

Andy Black

Any colour, as long as it's red.
Staff member
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Personally, I like seeing people’s history in their LinkedIn profile or CV. It’s interesting to see them in one industry or profession and gradually morph into something else.

I personally don’t mind who I’m connected to on LinkedIn. It’s a business platform so people are in work mode.

Anyway, check out mine here: www.andyblack.net

Just my own 2c

jon.M

Gold Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Jul 4, 2016
Sweden
Could networking for your own business on LinkedIn lead to trouble with your current employer if they happened to find out?

ColbyG

Contributor
Speedway Pass
May 19, 2017
Newcastle, Australia
Could networking for your own business on LinkedIn lead to trouble with your current employer if they happened to find out?
It's generally better to tell your work that you're doing it, but usually as long as what you're doing isn't in direct competition to your workplace they shouldn't really care.

But as always, it depends.

Scot

Salad Dressing Empire
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Jul 10, 2016
Florida
I created a separate profile on LinkedIn.

The primary reason? Well, if my boss found out I started a company he’d probably fire me. My LinkedIn is full of people in my day job industry, so it would take about 30 seconds for someone to get wind of what I was up to.

So, I created a separate account and my network is built up of people in the food industry. So far, it’s workdd quite well for me.

James Gill

Bronze Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Oct 22, 2018
London, UK
Personally what I plan on doing is using my same LinkedIn but adding it to my profile a little while after commencing business, with the correct date of when I started, without sending a notification to my connections. Then if anyone views my profile and notices they'll be able to think back and see that it hasn't affected my performance and is basically none of their business.

But then I work in a completely different industry to my business so there is zero conflict of interest.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Monthly conference calls with doers
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

Sponsored Offers

Lex DeVille's - Advanced Freelance Udemy Courses!
-- HALLOWEEN SPECIAL STARTS TODAY! Get any of my courses at Udemy's current best price through Friday! Use code: HALLOWEEN Use any of the links...
Top Bottom