The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Should I dumb down my content for people like @vigilante and @imgal?

Christopher777

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
190%
Jun 13, 2017
Manila, Philippines
This was not subtle, it was so blatant that I was hoping to read a joke.

It's just that, the phrase "dumb down", really didn't register with me. We all have different offense thresholds. And I've always taken online interaction with a grain of salt since it's very different from real life interaction.

I got your point. He's got this cocky vibe, yet I could sense his good intentions. And there's the button-pushing, aiming for a reaction intent there that obviously worked. Sort of like the polarizing tactics I saw in network marketing culture.

Hehe, he really must clarify now.

So, yeah, the meaning of communication is the response HE gets so yeah lol...

He miscalibrated.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

Sheps

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
175%
Oct 10, 2015
UK
Can't you just test it? Write something short and punchy, then compare how it's received. Although you'd have to give it a fighting chance. Can't make a long form post on something great then a short punchy one on why you should eat 4 raw onions a day is what I'm saying.

JAJT

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
549%
Aug 7, 2012
Ontario, Canada
We all have different offense thresholds.

When you specifically call out another person by name, you should either:

1. Know them well enough to be certain of where their threshold is, or
2. Assume their "offensive threshold" is nearly non existent.

And let's not forget the important last point:

3. Be prepared to properly apologize if you screw up the first two points

So far the apology consisted of "sorry you feel that way" which is quite a lot different from "Sorry, I shouldn't have done that".

Sully1994

Business Development @ Sprout Social
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
324%
Nov 5, 2016
Chicago
maxresdefault.jpg

I'm not saying that this is who anyone should aspire to be.

I'm not even saying that she shouldn't be exiled to a third world country where people live in mud huts and shit in a hole in the ground.

But dude, she used three words.

three.

She'll easily be worth a million by the end of the year.

( or be dead)

Get Right

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
477%
Jul 16, 2013
Sunny Florida

JAJT

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
549%
Aug 7, 2012
Ontario, Canada
But dude, she used three words.

I had no idea who this is or what she did so I googled it and found it out.

Basically she's an idiot who said "catch me outside" as a threat to the audience on Dr. Phil in a dumb accent and has ridden her angsty attitude to fame and now charges talking fees to show up places. Was in a rap video. Etc... On pace to be worth a million as mentioned, supposedly.

Basically she's famous for being a brat.

I didn't want to write any of this but I didn't want anyone else to waste the time figuring it out either.

jon.a

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Sep 29, 2012
Near San Diego

Dylan_91

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
135%
Jan 28, 2017
Florida
So I've been getting a lot of feedback lately that my writing is too long.

My blog posts, email newsletter, guest articles on various websites, and you see some of it here.

@Vigilante and @Imgal - commented on the length of it.

GOLD - I'm sorry, but this is going to be painful for a lot of you...

View attachment 15405

For one of my free offers, I have a 7-part video course (takes an hour to go through) that will teach them everything they need to know in order to fix a specific (large) problem in their life. I created the course knowing that the people who take the time to go through it will 100% have their problem fixed.
  • From a business growth perspective - If I solve this problem in their lives - they will be grateful, and they will most likely buy my book and other products in the future if I've already made such an impact for free...
  • From a value-add perspective - Why water down my content and give a half-assed approach when the goal is to actually fix a problem?
But then I was talking to a marketing consultant who said it's was wayyyyy too long (along with 50 other people who have said the same thing).

She said instead, I should have a quick 2-minute video or 3 page pdf as a "lead magnet", which people can easily digest. The average attention span is less than that of a goldfish nowadays.

If I dumb down my content, I will get more subscribers, and more people engaged....

The core of my brand is to help people do big things (which require a multi-year attention span). Think similar to the dedication and focus it requires to build a business, or move up in the world of acting/art/sports.

If I dumb down my content, I'll be attracting the type of person who wants the quick fix and doesn't have the persistence to accomplish what the brand helps people accomplish.

So if I make the shorter content, I'll attract the type of people who would rather get their next social media-quick fix; which is not the type of person who usually goes on to these types of things.

Is this really the type of person I want to be helping?

So I'm thinking lately that I shouldn't compromise the quality of what I put out, based on the wrong type of people...

If somebody is truly committed to fixing this problem in their life, they'll go through the hour-long course, or spend 15 minutes to read the long article. And when they do that, they'll actually get everything they need, instead of an easy 7-step bullet point quick fix...which doesn't actually solve the problem.

Which will mean less subscribers...

There are three types of people in this world:

1. The quick-fix zombies who don't have the persistence to build anything big in their lives, yet alone read a 15-minute article or take an hour-long free course that will fix a problem in their life.

2. The ones who have the persistence and actually have the traits that will lead to them being successful.

3. People like Imgal and Vigilante who are already on track and not part of my target market.

My gut is telling me to stick with putting everything out there (not matter how long it takes) to solve the problems of people who are actually committed to taking the time and experience results in their life; instead of watering down the content to attract the wrong people.

Thoughts?

I like your posts, detailed even if they are long.

Though it seems some are speaking here on the contrary, maybe that means the market thinks otherwise.

G-Man

Cantankerous Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
543%
Jan 13, 2014

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
I'm shocked. You're known for being warm and fuzzy. This just hurts my feels.

Jon has forgotten more than I have ever known. Fortunate that he takes my calls.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast

I greatly respect you. From your military service to your business ideas/insight.

There's a Bob Dylan song that says "I've forgotten more than you will ever know." I think the reverse is true for us. You have years worth of experiences on me.

We are fortunate here to have guys like you and @Walter Hay around.

Last edited:

MoneyDoc

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
273%
Jun 24, 2014
I don't think you should do anything just to please others. Do what you feel is right.

With that said, I don't think calling out Vigi and imgal was the right thing to do. Unless there's a backstory (even then...), you could've just said "should I dumb down my content - forum poll."

AndrewNC

Limitless
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
433%
Nov 14, 2011
Interesting how some friendly banter stirred up so many emotions.

Waiting around to see what else has come out of the woodwork before I reply to some of this...
stephen-colbert-popcorn-gif.jpg

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA
@AndrewNC Just curious, any uptick in traffic and sign ups?
Lot of controversy. Just wondering if it drove any traffic......

I thought @Vigilante and @jon.a were both over 100?!
Was it @jon.a that came over on the Mayflower with @Vigilante just two weeks behind?
Love both of you!

G-Man

Cantankerous Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
543%
Jan 13, 2014

Waiting around to see what else has come out of the woodwork before I reply to some of this...
View attachment 15440

Dude, you can't get un-gentlemanly with people, then respond with "I was joking" when it goes sideways.

As someone who's been called out for being an a**hole here multiple times, I can testify that people here are quick to forgive if you're quick to apologize.

Like I said: I like your writing, but I can't understand what you were trying to accomplish with this.

Christopher777

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
190%
Jun 13, 2017
Manila, Philippines
When you specifically call out another person by name, you should either:

1. Know them well enough to be certain of where their threshold is, or
2. Assume their "offensive threshold" is nearly non existent.

And let's not forget the important last point:

3. Be prepared to properly apologize if you screw up the first two points

Agreed.

Though, here's the thing. When relating to (or at least observing) other people when you have an extremely developed resistance to social pressure aka thick skin, you often see what others overlook. And it's sometimes tricky because too often, you have to go back down a notch to still be able to relate aka, you're still human.

It's like, you're almost too nihilistic or stoic (whatever) because of what you have gone through in life and you sort of find it funny when people take things too personally. In this case, a miscalibrated attempt, or a forum experiment to gather feedback, for (marketing, value providing and menacing purposes). YET still remain a fully functional human being.

On the other hand, any person that achieves a purely nihilistic perspective (which is advantageous in some ways) BUT have lost their ability to relate to others are what we call "crazy peeps".

I write about Metacognition by the way. Your reply is completely logical and valid. My point is, from the Meta context, what was seen in this thread, there was a lack of choice, between stimulus-response. @AndrewNC 's post was the stimulus. And the responses were "humanly predictable". When you operate from Meta, instead of just being strictly logical and computer like in your response, you retain the ability to be impartial and distance yourself from what's happening and from there, you're operating on a totally different level.

I was quite glad that @Vigilante said he literally does not care. That's badass.

There's also the matter of context. In this case, Andrew broke the commandment of context. He didn't provide any. The surface level appearance of the post dominated.

He just went on with the deed and this hints at me that he was not Meta when he posted. Maybe, maybe not. But most probably. So few people can go Meta.

This also touches on the topic of boundaries and the grey area between being assertive and not taking it personally.

I also noticed that this kind of thing happens all the time, everywhere. From our families, friends to romantic relationships.

A loose random example : Your girlfriend/wife made you wait at the restaurant for 2 hours for whatever reason. This was the second time she did it. And you love her so much.

Do you get angry in an instant? Do you cut her off and ignore her? Do you clarify boundaries? Do you break up with her? Do you brush it off and act like nothing happened?

If you were Meta and your woman was not, you're gonna have to make sacrifices to lead the situation to a direction you desire.

Stimulus. Response. Do you have a choice?

Last edited:

jlwilliams

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Dec 14, 2014
I'm a firm believer in long format sales letters and full length articles. I bemoan the short attention span "content" that is the new norm as much as the next geezer. That said, you are missing the opportunity to better your output by being dismissive.

Sully1994

Business Development @ Sprout Social
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
324%
Nov 5, 2016
Chicago
Agreed.

Though, here's the thing. When relating to (or at least observing) other people when you have an extremely developed resistance to social pressure aka thick skin, you often see what others overlook. And it's sometimes tricky because too often, you have to go back down a notch to still be able to relate aka, you're still human.

It's like, you're almost too nihilistic or stoic (whatever) because of what you have gone through in life and you sort of find it funny when people take things too personally. In this case, a miscalibrated attempt, or a forum experiment to gather feedback, for (marketing, value providing and menacing purposes). YET still remain a fully functional human being.

On the other hand, any person that achieves a purely nihilistic perspective (which is advantageous in some ways) BUT have lost their ability to relate to others are what we call "crazy peeps".

I write about Metacognition by the way. Your reply is completely logical and valid. My point is, from the Meta context, what was seen in this thread, there was a lack of choice, between stimulus-response. @AndrewNC 's post was the stimulus. And the responses where "humanly predictable". When you operate from Meta, instead of just being strictly logical and computer like in your response, you retain the ability to be impartial and distance yourself from what's happening and from there, you're operating on a totally different level.

I was quite glad that @Vigilante said he literally does not care. That's badass.

There's also the matter of context. In this case, Andrew broke the commandment of context. He didn't provide any. The surface level appearance of the post dominated.

He just went on with the deed and this hints at me that he was not Meta when he posted. Maybe, maybe not. But most probably. So few people can go Meta.

This also touches on the topic of boundaries and the grey area between being assertive and not taking it personally.

I also noticed that this kind of thing happens all the time, everywhere. From our families, friends to romantic relationships.

A loose random example : Your girlfriend/wife made you wait at the restaurant for 2 hours for whatever reason. This was the second time she did it. And you love her so much.

Do you get angry in an instant? Do you cut her off and ignore her? Do you clarify boundaries? Do you break up with her? Do you brush it off and act like nothing happened?

If you were Meta and your woman was not, you're gonna have to make sacrifices to lead the situation to a direction you desire.

Agreed.

I write about Metacognition by the way. Your reply is completely logical and valid. My point is, from the Meta context, what was seen in this thread, there was a lack of choice, between stimulus-response. @AndrewNC 's post was the stimulus. And the responses where "humanly predictable". When you operate from Meta, instead of just being strictly logical and computer like in your response, you retain the ability to be impartial and distance yourself from what's happening and from there, you're operating on a totally different level.

Regardless of context, this is a tone deaf post.

Even if vigilante and Imgal had not been specifically called out, It would still read with condescension . It wrongly implies that shortening text somehow equates to
"dumb downed" and "over simplified".

This isn't even about writing style. It's about having empathy for your audience and listening when they give you suggestions on how to improve your craft.

It shouldn't take 50 plus people hammering away at you saying , "dude your shit isn't engaging enough to warrant its length".

After receiving comments like that, you should be asking for tips on how to better your style.

Dismissing the source of criticism as people who "just aren't smart enough to grasp my genius" is pretentious.

Christopher777

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
190%
Jun 13, 2017
Manila, Philippines
Regardless of context, this is a tone deaf post.

Even if vigilante and Imgal had not been specifically called out, It would still read with condescension . It wrongly implies that shortening text somehow equates to
"dumb downed" and "over simplified".

This isn't even about writing style. It's about having empathy for your audience and listening when they give you suggestions on how to improve your craft.

It shouldn't take 50 plus people hammering away at you saying , "dude your shit isn't engaging enough to warrant its length".

After receiving comments like that, you should be asking for tips on how to better your style.

Dismissing the source of criticism as people who "just aren't smart enough to grasp my genius" is pretentious.

Point taken. Good stuff.

Even if he was pretentious though, he can condescend the hell out me and I wouldn't even lift my pinkie finger. I'd gladly take him on his intellectual gladiatorship :) no offense Andrew, it looks like you messed with the smartest guys on the planet lol

There must have been some truth to the LATER PARTS of the post because I guess that's what really hit home. Even though it was said in a condescending manner, it still has merit.

This thread is enjoyable. :)

Christopher777

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
190%
Jun 13, 2017
Manila, Philippines
Egoism is unhealthy.

True. It's also the same thing that responds violently when condescended.

If you had no ego, you would be totally at peace, like a monk, on the top of a mountain.

But we all do. It's self-evident.

I'm simply saying that we can transcend it. Aka (not controlled by it)

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
Reminds me of your other thread that tarnished Sinister Lex's name to get more clicks.

Good content on this forum always rises to the top. It doesn't need clickbait titles or needlessly attacking Senior members to gain views.

Having read into and listened to Vigilantes backstory it sucks to see his name being used in this way.
Also to use a popcorn gif after everyone takes the time to help guide you is extremely distasteful.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ

View attachment 15440

Not good. Probably would have been better to not even post this. What was the point? Are you waiting for the fire to get bigger before you douse it or pour kerosene on it?

Locomote

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
362%
Feb 10, 2017
Canada
Not good. Probably would have been better to not even post this. What was the point? Are you waiting for the fire to get bigger before you douse it or pour kerosene on it?

My thoughts exactly...

IceCreamKid

With Great Power Comes Great Electricity Bill
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
2,185%
Jun 8, 2010
California
Andrew, stop. Just stop.

Or if you do want to post further then how about a genuine, "My fault, I apologize. I'm human and I made a mistake like any other human does". Saying stuff like, "I'm sorry you feel that way" just makes things worse.

We all have said some crazy stupid shit in our lives. At least I know I have.

You're not going to suddenly be seen as a lesser person for making some mistake. If anything, it makes you seem more authentic.

This forum is a community and we're all in this together so please stop stirring things up man. Tearing down SinisterLex, Vig, Imgal...come on man. Life is too short for this. Let's go make some positive changes to help our fellow man/woman.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.