The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Should I dumb down my content for people like @vigilante and @imgal?

GMSI7D

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
Jan 27, 2016
Lyon, France
My gut is telling me to stick with putting everything out there (not matter how long it takes) to solve the problems of people who are actually committed to taking the time and experience results in their life; instead of watering down the content to attract the wrong people.

Thoughts?

why the hell do you care what people think about your work ?

statisticaly, some pople will like what you do and some won't. this is the same thing everywhere:

business, dating, politics, anything.

whatever you say or do, some people will always disagree with you anyway.

people here want to be liked because rejection would mean that they are losers or whatever

but life is not about being the good guy like in movies ( the good , the bad and the ugly )

life is about doing what you have to do whether people agree or not.

clint-eastwood-the-good-the-bad-and-the-ugly-spiros-soutsos.jpg

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

focusedlife

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
162%
Mar 16, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
So I've been getting a lot of feedback lately that my writing is too long.

My blog posts, email newsletter, guest articles on various websites, and you see some of it here.

@Vigilante and @Imgal - commented on the length of it.

GOLD - I'm sorry, but this is going to be painful for a lot of you...

View attachment 15405

For one of my free offers, I have a 7-part video course (takes an hour to go through) that will teach them everything they need to know in order to fix a specific (large) problem in their life. I created the course knowing that the people who take the time to go through it will 100% have their problem fixed.
  • From a business growth perspective - If I solve this problem in their lives - they will be grateful, and they will most likely buy my book and other products in the future if I've already made such an impact for free...
  • From a value-add perspective - Why water down my content and give a half-assed approach when the goal is to actually fix a problem?
But then I was talking to a marketing consultant who said it's was wayyyyy too long (along with 50 other people who have said the same thing).

She said instead, I should have a quick 2-minute video or 3 page pdf as a "lead magnet", which people can easily digest. The average attention span is less than that of a goldfish nowadays.

If I dumb down my content, I will get more subscribers, and more people engaged....

The core of my brand is to help people do big things (which require a multi-year attention span). Think similar to the dedication and focus it requires to build a business, or move up in the world of acting/art/sports.

If I dumb down my content, I'll be attracting the type of person who wants the quick fix and doesn't have the persistence to accomplish what the brand helps people accomplish.

So if I make the shorter content, I'll attract the type of people who would rather get their next social media-quick fix; which is not the type of person who usually goes on to these types of things.

Is this really the type of person I want to be helping?

So I'm thinking lately that I shouldn't compromise the quality of what I put out, based on the wrong type of people...

If somebody is truly committed to fixing this problem in their life, they'll go through the hour-long course, or spend 15 minutes to read the long article. And when they do that, they'll actually get everything they need, instead of an easy 7-step bullet point quick fix...which doesn't actually solve the problem.

Which will mean less subscribers...

There are three types of people in this world:

1. The quick-fix zombies who don't have the persistence to build anything big in their lives, yet alone read a 15-minute article or take an hour-long free course that will fix a problem in their life.

2. The ones who have the persistence and actually have the traits that will lead to them being successful.

3. People like Imgal and Vigilante who are already on track and not part of my target market.

My gut is telling me to stick with putting everything out there (not matter how long it takes) to solve the problems of people who are actually committed to taking the time and experience results in their life; instead of watering down the content to attract the wrong people.

Thoughts?

I've not been here long enough to read one of your epic posts, however, as a fellow copywriter and eager to give value type, myself, I've learned that restraint can be equally powerful.

Creating the pull usually requires first stoking a bit of curiosity, intrigue and mystery.

None of that happens if you're too eager or you try too hard.

Not saying it's you, but it can be seen as either desperate or needy, sometimes.

I find dating analogies appropriate metaphors for this sort of stuff, most of the time.

You want the girl?

Don't tell her, right off the bat, that you'd make a great husband, she'll like your mom, you hope she can cook, clean and gives good head, etc.

You gotta get her interested into you first.

Don't give her what she needs, just yet (she's not ready for it).

You give what they want or crave (which is also what you need to bring down the defenses and pull her in).

Anyways, hope that analogy made sense and hope this was a helpful perspective share.

And, as many others have said, always be testing.

If you're getting the results you want and attracting the folks you want, please disregard this entire post.

Thanks for reading.

Regards,

Los

Last edited:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content