The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

I'm sorry, but this is going to be painful for a lot of you...

Status
Not open for further replies.

AndrewNC

Limitless
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
433%
Nov 14, 2011
I'm not sure if you're ready for what I'm about to ask you to do.

It's going to be painful, you're most likely going to cry, and it's going to suck at first. But I can promise you that things are going to be a thousand times more painful in 5 or 10 years if you don't do what I'm asking you to do right now.

The reason why it's so important that you do this right now, today...

Somewhere in the world, a man who smoked cigarettes his entire life was just diagnosed with lung cancer during a routine checkup at his doctor's office. The man has a wife, three children, and financial responsibilities to take care of them all.

The doctor just gave him three months to live.

Sitting there on the table feeling naked in his underwear, the grown man breaks out in tears.

Every emotion you could possibly expect to feel in this dark moment came rushing to the surface. The fear of what might happen to his family when he's gone. Will they be able to afford the expensive mortgage payments? Will they be ok without him? The feeling of regret. Knowing that all of his life, he told himself he should quit smoking; but decades later, he never actually did what he said he was going to do.

He's now in shock and crying uncontrollable tears of remorse and regret.

The nurse in the hallway hears his gasps of pain an stopped in her tracks, as her head went down in despair, knowing the man just got the bad news She lets out a deep breath of sorrow and continues to walk on to her next patient.

As the man leaves the doctor's office shell-shocked, in a trance-like state, he reaches his car and sees the cigarette butt on the ground next to the driver's side door.

That was the last cigarette the man ever would ever smoke in his entire life.

The pack of Marlboros resting on his center console was no longer an instinctual habit where he "reaches over and lights up a smoke" but instead is now a painful reminder of his impending death. The sight that once used to be so normal to him now brings up the pain and agony which twists a knot in his stomach.

What's he going to do now? It's already too late.

If he could only look back in time and scream to himself: "Quit smoking now! It's bad for your health."

But what's the problem with that?

People have been telling this to him his entire life. He said he was going to quit smoking on many occasions.

He logically knew that he should have quit smoking decades ago. He saw the pictures of the charred up lungs in health class. All the evidence and reminders were here.

So why, after years of knowing this, did he finally decide to quit now?

Before you answer this question for yourself, I would like you to strip away the content of the problem (doctor/diagnosis/etc.), and pay attention to the deeper structure of what is going on inside of his body, primarily with his:
  1. Thoughts, and
  2. Emotions
When you strip it down to it's most basic components, the reason why he decided to quit now is because of the painful emotions he felt in the present moment.

Pay attention to the part where you feel what I mean about the present moment.
  • When his mother yelled at him to quit smoking in high school? The pain was a 1/10.
  • When his girlfriend broke up with him during college because he always smelled like smoke? The pain was a 4/10. Well that was until he went out to the bars and met someone else later that night. In between rounds of beers, he went outside to light up a cigarette with his friends and share a good time.
  • When he began getting that smokers cough at the age of 40? Maybe a 3/10 on the pain scale.
But the painful emotions he felt were not strong enough to grab ahold of him and change his behavior.

If you put a frog in a boiling pot of water, he's going to instinctively jump away when he feels the pain. But if the water is warm and he is slowing beginning to boil, he's going to swim around until it''s already too late.

Sorry little froggy, you should have read my email newsletter.

If your favorite delicious treat is on the table in font of you, you're emotions are going to be the force inside of you that drives you to grab it and put it in your mouth.

Imagine as if the emotions you feel are some unseen esoteric force that controls your body. Whatever logic goes on in your head has no defensive power against the emotions that cause you to do what you do. It's like you're possessed.

But what if you could control what emotions you feel, knowing what emotions will cause you to change your behavior?

The moment he felt the realization about him dying in three months (10/10 emotion), the fearful emotions of his family being left behind (20/10 emotion), and everything else that exploded at once when the doctor delivered that nuclear bomb of a message: These painful emotions instantly shifted his behavior.

But at that point, it's already too late. What if you can create this change in your life today?

Think about you and what you're looking to take action on and achieve in your life.That ONE goal you set you for yourself and that you're not taking action towards. You don't feel those emotions of pain that are decades away. It's nothing but a logical thought right now, with no emotional power attached to it.

In 2012, I began learning about mindfulness.

You've probably read The Power of Now where the author famously introduced the concept that it's always the present moment. The past and future are nothing but thoughts in your mind, and it is always the present moment.

Instead of viewing time as something where we "move through time". The time is always the present moment, and we measure things by a movement of energy.
  • It's either happening now.
  • Or it's not happening now.

• It's either here now.
  • Or it's not here now.
If a person says "I'm going to start eating healthy tomorrow." What does that imply? It implies that the unhealthy eating habit is still happening now (problem not solved). When the infamous tomorrow rolls around, let's just eat that chocolate cake one last time (still happening).

If something is not physically happening now, you are pushing it into the indefinite future because you throw it in the category of (not happening).

You have to pull the pain that you'll feel if you continue to procrastinate into your body...right now. Not just the thoughts of what bad things might happen. You need to actually feel the emotions when you look down at your body.

The lesson here: In order to eliminate this procrastination, you have to pull the emotions from the future (not happening), into the present moment (happening now). This way when you think of doing the (bad behavior), you actually feel the emotions of pain. Your emotions you feel in the present moment are what you are going for here...
  • When that smoker got dumped by his girlfriend during college and was laughing and partying with his friends at the bar; drinking that beer and "lighting up that smoke" out front...this resulted in him feeling positive emotions when he smokes (in the present moment).
  • When you eat that chocolate cake, you feel the positive emotions...in the present moment.
What are you procrastinating towards?

What's the one big goal that you set out for yourself, something that you are not taking action on?

Now is the time where you will learn how to attach so much pain to the thought of not achieving that goal, and pain to the habit of procrastination, that the part of you which procrastinated in the past will be left behind in the doctor's office parking lot next to that man's last cigarette butt and pack of cigarettes which he tossed out the window.

Because when the bad habit is gone, there's no more "Just this one last time."or "I'll do it tomorrow."

If the doctor just warned him that he should quit smoking and he might get cancer from it...that cigarette would be lit up again.

How do you collapse the bad habit of procrastination?

The answer rests in your deepest long-term fear (the complete opposite side of the coin from your successful vision of the future).

On one hand, you achieve your goal (relationship/money/lose weight/etc.) and you have this goal you set out for yourself with these great positive emotions if you achieve it. On the other hand, you have the fear of what life will be like if you don't achieve this goal.

Quit Smoking Example: "Quit smoking - live a long happy life." (Positive emotion).

If you don't quit smoking, what is the worst thing that can happen to you:
  • Cancer.
  • 3 months to live if you quit now. 3 weeks if you keep smoking.
  • Leaving family behind.
  • Leaving family in financial ruin because you're the breadwinner.
  • How will all this feel if this scenario has already happened? Would you pick up another cigarette? Or would you tack on the extra 2 months to your life and spend it with your loved ones?
Exercise and Eating Healthy: Looking in the mirror being obese, nobody will want to date you, fast forward 20 years, diabetes, having to stab yourself with an insulin needle every day to keep your blood sugar in check (are you simply reading this or can you actually pretend to feel the emotion of the needle being stuck in your arm?), arteries clog up, heart attack, stroke, you can't speak correctly because of the stroke, and you're forced in a wheel chair. Living a life feeling groggy all the time.

Someone else has to wipe your *** because you can't physically do it anymore.

You are sitting in a wheelchair next to a hospital bed, in this vegetable-like state, barely able to communicate as you look at your loved ones feeling helpless and hopeless while you say to yourself:

"What the hell have you been doing your whole life? Why haven't you been taking care of your health?"

And when you look back on how you chose to live your life, you are filled with a feeling of regret and despair.

Looking back from this moment of immense pain, what can you choose to eat instead? Does the bag of potato chips make all this worth it?

Answer this to yourself: What is one way you can be healthier today?

I'm going to stop eating potato chips after typing this to you. Not "one last one", but that food craving already gone. How'd I do it? simply by typing the description above to you, which took me all of two minutes.

Building a your dream business/going after your financial goals/etc:
They call me the ghost of Christmas future.
You're going to be 65 years old and laid off from your job with no pension because we outsourced what you do to technology, you're living paycheck to paycheck and you're past due on your rent. You're stuck and (by this point) you have no escape. Nobody is going to hire you with your outdated skills now. The procrastinative actions (I made this word up) you've been taking in the past have finally caught up to you.

The landlord evicts you, you're buried in hundreds of thousands of dollars in debt. The collectors keep calling you and you eventually have to turn of your phone because you can't stand the sound of your ringtone. As you drag the last bag of belongings from your now-empty apartment to your car, you realize that your car has just been repossessed moments ago as you're now homeless on the street at the age of 65 with one suitcase full of belongings.

No friends, no family, no nothing because you've been playing computer games 12 hours a day.

At this point, there's no coming back from this. It's already too late.

Embarrassed. Ashamed. You should have been building up your business and skill-set decades ago instead of browsing around on social media, watching TV, drinking alcohol, smoking weed, and playing video games.
Or what is it that you like to do instead? What's that one thing you've been doing in your life that has held you back from your dreams?

But it's too late for that now.

Are you just emotionlessly reading these words, or are you actually feeling the emotions in this present moment?

Stop reading. Feel your body. Are the emotions here? Yes or no?

Now here's the real kicker: From this emotional state of already being in this worst fear, looking at the same things that once were joyful (procrastinating) looks a bit different to you, doesn't it?

Keep building them up from this worst fear and then when you imagine that you live it now, look back at all the things you could have shouldn't have done.

All because you didn't commit a few hours a night after work building your future right now.

You get the picture. What is it that you're working on as you read this...Shopping addiction? Gambling too much? Relationships?

I'm still not craving those potato chips. They've been my downfall for six months. Yuck. Now they're gone.

Here is the final test:

When you write out your worst case scenario if you keep procrastinating on the one thing you know you are here to do, go into an exaggerated amount of detail like I did here. It's not enough to just put the words on paper. Let me repeat that. It's not enough to just put the words on paper.

You have to invoke so much pain in what will happen if you don't take action towards achieving your goals; that you feel this pain in the present moment.

But even that's not enough.

Are you sitting around feeling the emotions in despair? Or are you feeling the emotions that drive you to do something? Are you sitting around with your hand in a scorching hot fire? Or are you pulling your hand away?
  1. You have to feel the painful emotions (not in the future), but in the present moment. Look down at your body and do you feel them? Are these emotions attached to the thought of procrastinating or that bad habit of yours?
  2. You have to make sure the emotions drive you to actually do something right now, today. Yeah, you can sit around in the hot fire and feel the pain, but it means nothing if you don't jump out.
What's one change you've already made in your life by reading what you read today?

Just the simple thought of not doing what you need to do should make you feel as painfully miserable as the man felt in the moment the doctor diagnosed him with cancer that will kill him in three months.
  1. Build your dream.
  2. Eat that apple and jump on the treadmill.
  3. Say hi to your future partner.
All of a sudden, the pain of doing the procrastinative (there's that word again) things you've been doing is so much worse than going out and just doing what you failed to do in the past.

And I say this in all seriousness: If you're not crying or feeling the nuclear-bomb-of-an-emotion with just the thought of not taking action towards your goal; you're not attaching enough pain to it.

I have a challenge for you: Can you invoke the feelings of pain right now?

Are you actually doing something to change because of the feelings?

After reading this, aren't you a little disappointed in the way you've been procrastinating knowing where it led you in this painful life of yours? It's too late to escape now that it's here. But looking back in time, what can you begin to do differently to avoid this trap?
Before you go to sleep tonight, write out your own exaggerated pain story. Can you make it more painful and dramatic than mine?

I hope you cry.

Because that's what causes you to change and you can thank me later.

I told you that it'll be painful at first, but what this does it collapse the habit of procrastination, and these emotions drive you to do what you need to do.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Dominick

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
145%
Apr 23, 2017
Italy
This really kicked me in the face, wow.
It really made me pick up the book to study for the exams i'll take in 2 weeks and i've been procastinating af. Maybe it's my depression or whatever but i won't stop trying to move my s****y butt and get working seriously.
Thank you so much for this post. Needs to be read by everyone.

While reading i literally "looked" (in my imagination) at my old and shaking hands, crying because of the time i wasted doing useless whining and complaining about depression and life being unfair.

ExaltedLife

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
206%
Nov 10, 2015
I'm not sure if you're ready for what I'm about to ask you to do.

I told you that it'll be painful at first, but what this does it collapse the habit of procrastination, and these emotions drive you to do what you need to do.

Amazing, and it only takes a few minutes to do this thing that will change your life forever.

Argue

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
385%
Oct 1, 2016
NYC
Excellent post. I can attest this is real when I had kidney stones from drinking too much soda. Emotionally, I never wanted to feel that pain ever again. I stopped drinking soda since February. Thank you!

Last edited:

MidwestLandlord

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
759%
Dec 6, 2016
"Procrastinative" is a word, I've used it to describe people I fired when I am trying to get out of paying unemployment. It's an adjective.

Good post @AndrewNC

But I was in a good mood today, then you gotta hit me with all this truth. Why you do that man? What the heck? :smile:

AndrewNC

Limitless
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
433%
Nov 14, 2011
@Gareth

You do hypnosis, right?

If you need some good sales copy for a quit smoking hypnosis, it may have inadvertently been written for you. Lol

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
I love this post. It's poignant. It's real.

Rep+++

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Ouch. Nice post @AndrewNC.

(Btw... I've tidied up the thread as it was getting derailed.)

Michał Kóska

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Jan 10, 2015
This is gold. Thank you Andrew! I will always go back to it if I lose the energy to push forward. Very good wake up call!

ZF Lee

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jul 27, 2016
Malaysia
@Gareth

You do hypnosis, right?

If you need some good sales copy for a quit smoking hypnosis, it may have inadvertently been written for you. Lol
Yup, looks like a killer copy to me!
Great post...you actually have described something I have used all these months since I started on the Fastlane.
When I'm afraid of learning sales, copy and other skills important for a Fastlane, I imagine the years of failure and disgrace I would waste my life in without them. This keeps me up late learning and working....sometimes until 2 am.
When I feel like giving up because I'm just a damn kid with no experience, I imagine my girl, whom I promised to get her out of the SCRIPT, swallowed up by the suckage of the job market or worse, taken by men who just lust for her and not desire to enrich her.....it gives me nightmares when I am awake and those were my most productive days.....

Imagination is more dangerous than money if used well.

MetalGear

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
258%
Jan 24, 2017
Narnia
This post hit me because my dad is disabled and retired - former smoker had a lot of medical complications. The coughs, heart attack, paralysis...Sometimes I fear that I am sacrificing my health trying to merge onto the Fastlane. I am trying to find balance.

Ika

Busy Idiot
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
344%
Aug 9, 2016
Germany
Wow.
Thanks for creating and sharing this.

I actually sat down to write short paragraphs about different problems and obstacles in my life.
My initial plan was to post it on here, so maybe it can help others.

But then the texts got longer and longer.
They got too personal to post on the internet.
Too emotional, too raw.
Too real.

It's in a word document. If I ever feel solving the problem isn't as important, I can reread it.

Maybe one day, once I solved it, I will post it. But it does not really matter, because they are my emotions, my thoughts.
I did not really get emotional while reading your post, but that changed once I started writing my own.
So whoever read the inital post and just consumed it, take 10min and write down your own emotions.

It will change you.

Imgal

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Aug 9, 2015
TLDR, sorry @AndrewNC ....

Okay that's a lie, I did read it and then I got Chrome to read it to me to make it sink in even more. So many of us block emotions and from letting ourselves feel things because then we don't need to deal with them.

I know I have been. I need to sort out my work and finances to bring in substantially more money to support a number of new dependents in my life (through sick health... I've not started taking in strays right yet). I know I need to make some changes and stop spending hours plodding along doing busy work and get down to the real work... but I've not.

I've spent most of it moaning to myself about how hard my life has begun having to deal with these increased family duties. I have attached literally no emotion to it, but annoyance... which strangely enough has motivated me to do nothing.

Then the terrorist attack happened at London Bridge (where I've spent plenty of time) and I was glued to the news watching it happen and thinking "Shit. That could have been me... and I've literally done nothing worth remembering with my life" and then I watched the One Love Manchester concert. Now I'm a totally unsoppy woman, but Ariana Grande (who I had no idea about before..) got me right in the feels. There was a woman more than a decade younger than me carrying the weight of those who died after her concert on her shoulders not caught up in the "Poor me... why do I deserve to be in this situation", but truly standing there wanting to make a positive difference, however hard it was for her... because this was about making a positive difference.

I was SO ashamed of my life watching that concert.

I don't know when I got so selfish and bitter, but F*ck me the pain at that moment was too much for me to not begin a much-needed change.

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
Very interesting. Great post with a provocative direction.

What if you don't feel responsible for anyone? Is that selfish? What of you feel fulfilled enough?

My wife is a smart and strong person. Very capable in all aspects. My kids will figure it out.

Why do we need to look forward to regrets?

I really like to live a life unencumbered. No sunscreen, no special diets, no worry about environment. It may sound strange but I feel free this way. No concern about the future... Of course this statement is not true but I would like it to be.

There are also many things in life that could be regretted. I don't wish to have any though. A lot of choices would have led to different results but they are what they are.

Perhaps I will die of skin cancer from not using protection.

I will not cry though. I.... was able to live life on my terms.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I'll be the first to admit that some of Andrew's posts are long and sometimes rambling, but I finally got around to reading this. And it was a beauty.

Marked GOLD + max rep.

And a must read for anyone struggling to build habits that enforce positive change.

DesignerOne.

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
252%
Nov 29, 2016
Rochester, Ny
Absolutely agree with this. Truer words have not been spoken.

Started really focusing on my health about a couple weeks ago after looking in the mirror and saying F*ck THAT. This was just the extra push everyone including me can use.

I'll be revisiting this post often to remind myself of how much it could hurt healthwise and not achieving things in life, the crippling regret that can come and kick you right in the nuts.

Thanks Andrew

AndrewNC

Limitless
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
433%
Nov 14, 2011
Part 2: A Jedi-Magic Exercise
What if I told you writing down your worst-case-scenario and feeling the painful emotions is only the first step?

For many of us, including myself when I write this yesterday, I really felt the feelings of disgust, regret, and all these other painful emotions when I stepped into my painful reality.

It's a truth that:
  1. We avoid the feelings that we don't want to feel.
  2. We move towards the feelings that we do want to feel.
Holograms & Laser Beams

After I wrote this last night, I went over to the kitchen and saw the physical bag of potato chips sitting in the pantry.

The sight that once gave me a feeling of joyfulness and pleasure of the salty, fatty, starchy potatoes that exploded like an orgasm in my mouth...has changed. Immediately after entering the painful reality, the sight of the bag of potato chips, and even the thought of putting that artery-clogging, greasy, oily, acid-refulux inducing, jelly-roll and love-handle fueling, slobby mess of gross disgustingness in my mouth led me to feel the feeling of sickness.

Now, imagine for a moment that the world we live in is some type of holographic matrix and we can shoot laser beams into physical items around us and supercharge those physical items with different types of emotions.
  • When that man from the previous story began smoking in his teens, he filled up (his perception of) the pack of cigarettes with a feeling of: being in the in-crowd, coolness, acceptance, and pleasure of being with one of his friends. The pack of cigarettes has no emotional charge in it - but in his little hologram-of-reality, he filled it up with those emotions he wanted to feel.
  • When that man got the dreaded news from his doctor, and was filled with all these painful emotions of suffering, he went back to his car, and through his perception, he supercharged the pack of cigarettes with all these emotions he wanted to avoid.
Now, all of a sudden, whenever he came in the vicinity of a pack of cigarettes, it radiated an invisible energy that repulsed him and this repulsion kept him away from this activity.

I had the same reaction with the potato chips.

When the emotions of my regret, disgust, and suffering filled my body, I immediately channeled these emotions out of me and filled up the things that I wanted to avoid:
  • Potato chips.
  • Pizza.
  • Greasy bacon cheeseburgers.
All of a sudden, the things that once gave me pleasure (the "bad" habits in relation to my goal of eating healthy) were now radiating an emotion of disgust.

So think about you and your worst-case-painful-emotion-future. When you're filled with these emotions, in your perception, can you think of what activities you partook in/habits/etc. are things you want to avoid because they don't align with your goals?
  • The xBox?
  • The junk food?
  • The endless binge-watching of Netflix?
What is it for you?

Think of the behaviors that you no longer want to partake in, and imagine channeling your energy from your body, into these items.

All of a sudden, after you do this, and you now look at these things with disgust - you'll no longer be in the instinctual habit of doing them - and surprisingly, you'll want to avoid them. It's almost as if this subtle energy/emotions you feel radiating from these items are like the heat you feel from a volcano when you get close to it, and when you feel it it's a signal to your biological drivers of behavior to stay away from these things.

Remember from my last article: It's these emotions that are like an esoteric ghost-like force of energy which drive your body (not your logic). So when your body is repelled from these things, it's an energetic repulsion that prevents you from doing them.

You can take control of the world around you, and you can play into your biological drivers of:
  • Going towards pleasure, and
  • Going away from pain
By using this Jedi magical power of holograms and emotional attachments to fill the things outside of you with this invisible energy that is a signal for you to avoid.

What things do you want to stop doing?

NFT

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
134%
Mar 14, 2017
Germany
Very inspiring, I could feel the regret. Thanks for sharing.

Edit: I personally dont want sleep the whole morning anymore. My aim is to wake up at 5 am every day. I always feel that regret when I wake up at 10 am after putting my alarm clock on snooze numerous times.
A calendar is helping me to keep track of my progress. Doing decent so far...

Last edited:

AndrewNC

Limitless
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
433%
Nov 14, 2011
Do you know what baffles my mind?

Why on Earth would anybody ever want to be motivated by pain, disgust, and regret?

Look, I get it that it's often these emotions that put our bodies into gear and help us take that first step forward. If a caveman is standing at the edge of his village (the edge of his comfort zone) staring off into the freedom and adventures that lay in the wilderness, he will be scared to take that first step.

There could be another village filled with freedom, abundance, happiness, and so much amazingness somewhere a hundred miles off into the distance; but most of the time we don't take that first step until the pain is so bad, that we are forced to move. That's what you've done so far...

You took that first step, didn't you?

Or did you just build up the pain and stay the same and not actually have it drive you to do something towards your goals and dreams? C'mon...I expected better from you.

So back to the caveman...

Myself and 5 other large cavemen have to surround him with spears and a hot branding iron before he feels the pain that moves him to take that first step. I press the hot branding iron into his back and he begins to run forward past the perimeter of the village and into the wild.

100 steps closer to his dreams.

The cavemen with spears chase after him, with impending death, and he finally takes that first step.

All of a sudden, staying the same and doing the things that have been holding him back from his goals are no longer appealing to him because they are so damn painful. The bad habits are more painful than the prospect of doing what he needs to do.

So here you are where you set this goal for yourself (to be in great shape, to have this business, to have this book written, to be in this dream relationship, whatever it is), and you felt this pain that propelled you out of this metaphorical cave-village.
  • I branded you with the hot branding iron, you felt the burn, and you ran. #you'vebeenbranded
  • If you slow down and stop taking action, you will feel the sharp pain from the spears that will surely sting painfully in your back.
In your worst-case-scenario exercise of how bad things will get if you don't take action, you already felt your first dose of pain, and it motivated you.

Now I have a question for you:

Why the hell would you want to continue to feel this pain?

Let the following three quotes burn into the front of your mind:
  1. "Just because something served a positive purpose in the past, doesn't mean it is the best option going forward."
  2. "Just because something served a positive purpose in the past, doesn't mean it is the best option going forward."
  3. "Just because something served a positive purpose in the past, doesn't mean it is the best option going forward."
The other week I heard a business owner talked about how he was filled with stress and anxiety when he wasn't working on his business (this applies to a lot of us here). I don't know how intense the stress and anxiety was for him, but a few weeks before that, I got an email from a different business owner who said his wife just had a stroke.

The reason she had a stroke is because of the anxiety from the business.

Through this continual buildup of stress and anxiety, it eventually led to her being rushed to the emergency room with a stroke (from her husband's business).

"Just because the feeling of pain served a positive purpose (motivation) in the past, doesn't mean it is the best option going forward."

110 million people die every year as an indirect result of stress (heart attacks, strokes, high blood pressure, etc.)

So I offered my help - In the matter of 30 minutes or so, that stress and anxiety would be gone, and he wouldn't have to feel the pain and suffering anymore; and more than likely guarding him from being another statistic out of the 110 million people who die indirectly from this stress every year.

He said no.

For weeks on end, I was baffled. I just want to help people through the struggles I struggled through, not knowing at the time that what I did in the past led me to the same stress-related problems many others face.

Why on Earth would someone turn down this solution? Something that is already a small problem (and would most likely be a bigger problem) in his life could be solved so quickly.

And yet, he said he wants to and chooses to feel the pain...

I honestly didn't know the answer, until...

Just yesterday I was talking to a woman who is publishing her book and said she suffers from the same thing. I asked her why doesn't she want to get rid of the anxiety?

"It's motivating." she said to me, "When I'm not working on my book or my website, it's this feeling of anxiety that reminds me of what I should be doing. If I go for too long without working, it's almost as if I'm about to have a panic attack. So that drives me to begin editing my book and I make progress."

If it worked in the past, might as well keep on doing it, right?

Wrong.

You were once breast fed by your mother to get protein and nutrients for your body. It worked in the past, so why don't you....

You get the picture.

There's actually a more effective way to be motivated.

In the past, I used to only be motivated by pain. But at what cost? If we are constantly filled with fear, regret, pain, anxiety, stress, and utilize these emotions to drive us forward; that is no different than the pack of angry cavemen chasing you through the wilderness with spears and hot branding irons.

You're running towards your goal, but it's not an enjoyable experience.
  • The stressed-out businessman who has a heart attack at 50.
  • The depressed and insecure bodybuilder who covers up the pain with long hours in the gym.
  • The toxic relationship that prevents you from feeling lonely.
So if the true purpose of these painful emotions is motivation and drive, is it possible that there is another alternative?

Now here you are as the caveman in the middle of the wilderness, running away from the pain and the village you want to escape from; and now the cavemen with spears and a branding iron suddenly disappear.

Poof.

A weight is lifted and the stress and anxiety are gone.

What else can fuel you and serve as the driving force that helps you run forward towards your goals?

Falling in love with a cave-woman.

It's a cool mid-spring morning as I was living at the foothills of the mountains.

I must admit, I was filled with comfort and complacency, and I hit one of those low points in my life in terms of my motivation, health, fitness, relationships, and happiness.

I had lost motivation and nothing drove me to do much with my life. When I just spent years experiencing a life that I dreamed about for so long in the past, now that I experienced the goal I set out for myself, the desire to grow anymore was gone. I lived my life at a young age, and even the pain I was feeling wasn't enough to move me out of bed in the morning. Even the thought of the miserable future didn't get me going and help me improve my health.

The only growth I experienced in my life was around my waistline.

The pain of being overweight and alone was no longer motivating to me. I had no reason to run away from anything because there was nothing left in life that I wanted. That desire to build my first business or get in shape for high school football (over a decade ago) was kind of strong. Maybe a 6 out of 10, but I was still kind of painfully forcing myself to do it, and not enjoying the process.

How can you motivate yourself more and enjoy the process too?

What lights a fire inside of you to take action? What is it that you desire more than anything?

This lack of motivation went on until one morning when I pulled myself out of bed and went for an nice light-easy hike into the foothills of the mountains. Just easy enough to see the sights, but surely not enough to even work up a mild sweat. Floating through life...

At the base of the trail, I cross paths a beautiful cave-woman. From the moment I met her, I found this woman to be amazing. Physically fit, motivated, driven, confident, pleasant to talk to; were all qualities that screamed she would never want to be with a guy like me. After our first hike together, she invited me to a more challenging hike and warned me that it would be quite a "difficult" workout.

"Difficult" (in quotes) is a subtle way of saying the most strenuous workout in all of the land. FYI.

Do you know what crossed my mind when I said yes to that and woke up the morning of the hike?
  • Did I dread getting out of bed and hiking the most difficult mountain in the area? Did I anxiously despise the pain and agony of the workout I was about to get myself into? Was I forcing myself to get motivated to do it because I feel all the suffering at the thought of what would happen if I didn't do it (worst case scenario exercise)?
No. Not at all. Zero.

If I was hiking by myself a week prior, the answer would be 100% absolutely YES! So I wouldn't do it.

But hiking up the mountain with dream cavewoman...
  • During the entire ascent to the top, I was doing the usual: Completely out of breath, hunched over, that feeling of impending death you get when you start working out heavily after being passive for years. You know that feeling? Where you hate every ounce of existence and can't wait for this pain to be over?
Yeah, none of that mattered, and despite my physical body experiencing all those symptoms, there was no pain. There was no emotional suffering.

Instead, I was so happy, excited, and thrilled to spend more time with the cavewoman of my dreams. This feeling of love and positivity fueled me to take one step after another to keep her to the ascent to the top. It's almost as if the excitement of being with her overwhelmed and eliminated all the typical suffering I described physically above.

In this state of being, it no longer existed. Kind of like a dose of morphine to cover up the pain. Except there were no drugs, just the positive feelings. And with these emotions she brought out of me, there is no pain.

A 100% positive experience, despite how physically challenging it was on the outside.

I spent years unmotivated and out of shape...

When I don't write self-help books, I am a part-time (hopeless) romance novelist. FYI. Be warned for the long story that's coming up next.

Two weeks later, I managed to wake up well-before sunrise to go on a three-mile run with her through the fields.

Pure motivation fueled by love and happiness.

It was the first time in my life where I felt truly alive. Every moment of every day that I was with her, I was living in a world of pure happiness; despite more challenging actions that I'm taking on the outside. Time ceased to exist and everything was so perfect; nothing phased me, nothing slowed me down, and this burning fire inside of me motivated me a million times more than any pain would ever make me feel.

If this cavewoman was in my home village, I dare you to go after me with your hot branding iron and spears. I will fight through death itself and take out six grown caveman, fueled by my desire to...be with her.

Continued in next post....
Screen Shot 2017-06-08 at 7.10.30 PM.png

AndrewNC

Limitless
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
433%
Nov 14, 2011
...continued from previous post

Do you get the picture yet of how much more powerful these positive emotions were for me than that of the pain? Good, I'll keep going to exemplify the point...

"Hopeless" romance novels. It's a new genre.

On the days I wasn't with her, I was excited to wake up before the sun and for months on end, I climbed various mountains every morning and ate healthy throughout the day; just out of love and excitement to go after my goal to be with her. The next time she would see me, I would be in even better shape, and it would be amazing.

Three months passed and I lost 50 pounds in the blink of an eye. I was more motivated than ever. No pain, no suffering, and I was no longer running away from anything. No longer driven by the painful stressful emotions that once forced me to take action in the past.

Instead, I found something I was running towards; fueled by nothing but the love for, and excitement to spent time with this cave-woman.

On my most productive days, the energy just flowed through me.

All of a sudden, those painful tasks of eating healthy, doing my work, exercising, and whatever it is that moved me towards better health, better fitness, and better happiness was fueled by a positive emotion.

I honestly can't describe in words how powerful this motivation was for me.

The burning desire and fire inside me was so strong, that nothing could stand in the way of me and my goal.

Not even death itself.

As I climbed mountains and crossed streams in the middle of the wilderness, towards my destination way off into the distance, nothing could stop me. One morning I woke up to one of the most powerful lightning storms that I've ever experienced in my entire life closing in on the mountain I was about to scale.

Marching straight forward into the face of death itself; I kept pressing forward.

Is your vision of the future powerful enough that you would rather die trying for it than not having what you truly are going after?

• Strong words? Check.
  • Unhealthy desire? Check.
  • Will this actually give you the motivation you came here looking for. Absolutely.

Is there a cause or movement that you're passionate about? Is there a loved one that you want to provide for?

What is it that will light the fire inside you with the burning desire and the positive emotions that will fuel you to accomplish anything; and stop at nothing?

Motivated by the emotions I wanted to feel:

• Love,
  • Hope,
  • Excitement,
  • Happiness,
And gratitude that this cavewoman lit the spark in my heart to keep that fire burning even through the most challenging of times.

• If the motivation of pain was a 10/10 to push me out of the comfort of that old tribal village,
  • The motivation from the burning fire inside of me was an invinity-out-of-ten.
As you are reading this right now, this isn't about me and never has been about me from the moment you started reading, this is about what is that burning desire for you?

If the men with spears are chasing you through the wilderness and you turn the corner into a war between two angry rival tribes, would you stop in your tracks and beg to let them wait because the fear of death would stop you in your tracks?

But what if the desire to get to your goals is so much more powerful than the prospect of death itself that you would run forward through the battle, run forward through the lightning storm, and let nothing (not matter how painful) ever slow you down or stop you from reaching your goals, because the desire for what you want is THAT powerful.

Do you want it that bad? Or are you not committed to this?

Now, wouldn't that burning passion be a much more powerful form of motivation than fearing a little pain?

Fueled by the emotions you want to feel, enjoying every step of the journey to your destination?

Going back to your hologram-of-a-life:

Some of us choose to be motivated by pain, anxiety, stress, and suffering; now knowing the side-effects that come as a result of this. Not enjoying the journey to get to our destination. I suggested building up these unwanted emotions inside of you for a specific purpose: To use your jedi-magic powers to fill all the bad habits and procrastinative (there's that word again) traits with this pain and suffering of your worst-case life scenario.

You should have already done this...

Now, in this hologram-of-a-life; every time you look at, go near, or think of those bad habits; you feel that emotional repulsion that keeps you energetically away from what you need to stop doing. Read the comments above, it works.

Think of the things you need to be doing, which you're not:
  • Going to the gym.
  • Putting on your running shoes and running those 3 miles.
  • Eating the fruits and vegetables.
  • Calling suppliers for your business.
  • Cold-calling prospective clients for your business.
  • Waking up at 6 in the morning.
In the same way that the pack of cigarettes went from:
  • Charged with pleasure (approval of friends/social life) -> supercharged with the pain of the cancer death doctor (using your jedi-magic from the last exercise)
You can do the same with the things you need to do, but instead - fill the tasks you want to do with the burning desire.:
  • (Yuck) Running a mile -> I am so excited and enjoy running a mile.
What emotions will drive you to do what you should be doing?

In the book Cashvertising, the author outlines 8 human emotions that drive human behavior:
  1. Enjoyment of life, life extension.
  2. Enjoyment of food and beverages.
  3. Freedom.
  4. Sexual companionship.
  5. Comfortable living conditions.
  6. To be superior, winning.
  7. Care and protection of loved ones.
  8. Social approval.
Personal development Guru Tony Robbins talks about six drivers of human behavior:

1. Certainty
  2. Variety
  3. Significance
  4. Love and connection
  5. Growth
  6. Contribution

For me, that feeling of Love and Connection was the driving force behind the weight I lost after meeting that cave-woman, the two books I published (originally written in an email to her), and a product that I created for my business that was inspired by her and fueled for my love for her.

Supercharge Your Emotions

In the same way you super-charged your worst-case scenario, do the same with the best possible outcome of this goal you have for yourself.

On a piece of paper, write down your most-perfect dream life of this goal that you want more than anything in the world. Make it even more emotionally appealing than any type of realistic possibility. And as you did with the painful emotions, it's not enough to simply put the words on paper.

Write out the positive dream goal so intense that it actually lights a fire inside your belly with these positive emotions you are seeking (when you achieve this goal). It's these emotions that will propel you forward. If you look down at yourself and you aren't feeling the emotions in the present moment, you didn't do this correctly. Keep adding the desire.

For me, it's hiking through the mountains with my dream cave-woman that I'd love and enjoy spending every moment with. I think my long-winded description before exemplified how the emotions were an infinity-out-of-ten.

Jedi-magic time...

You filled the bad habits with pain.

Now, take this emotion you're going after and fill the positive habits with pleasure (the burning desire and infinity-out-of-ten-emotions).

• Running 3 miles in the morning suddenly turns into "One step closer to being in shape and hiking the tallest mountains with cave-wife".
  • Eating a cucumber? Each bite is one step closer to living a long healthy life with cave-wife. Each bite of the potato chips is one step further away.
  • Cold-calling clients on my (cave)telephone? One step closer to attaining all the resources to make sure my cave-wife can experience life in abundance.
Do you know those things that you know you need to do, but have been avoiding?

After you write down your burning desire goals, and bring up the emotions you would feel, and actually feel these emotions in the present moment...look at one of the tasks that you've been avoiding in the past.

Use your Jedi-magic power to look at that task through a new lens, and see how excited and happy that you are to do it now?

What is one specific task you can practice this on right now?

This is real life magic:

• When you look at the bad habits that used to be comfortable, you see and feel the pain.
  • When you look at the positive habits that used to be uncomfortable, you see the burning desire to achieve your goal, and you feel the emotions that drive you to now enjoy doing these things.
The important part is to super-charge the emotions in the present moment when you do this. Look down at your body, and are you feeling them now?

So yeah, this is a true story in my life with a creative twist.

Some people choose to be motivated by pain (as outlined in the first section) and it's effective to get you moving and a great tool to use your magic at getting over bad habits. So use it for that.

And then those people fall into two categories:
  1. The ones that choose to continue to be motivated by pain on their journey. They're productive, they get the job done, and it really is truly motivating. But sometimes there is a hidden cost attached to this, which many people are not aware of (lack of fulfillment, health problems, unhappiness, etc.).
  2. The ones that used this pain to propel them forward, and then are driven by purpose, pleasure, fulfillment, and that burning desire that (for me at least in my experience...) is so much more powerful and more enjoyable than being motivated by continuous pain. With this level of drive, I wonder if the pain was even necessary to begin with? I don't know...
But then there's the third category.

The people who read this, don't put what they learn to use, don't learn how to control their emotional force inside of them to do the things they need to get done...and they continue to procrastinate and never make any meaningful progress towards their goals.

When it comes to being consistently motivated, it's all about what works best for you.
  • Some people don't want the goal bad enough (and I say this in a truly non-judgemental way). They can't feel that burning desire no matter how hard they try: So the pain is what pushes them forward.
  • Others are only driven by the burning desire and the positive goals. They extract the emotions they would feel when they attain the goal, and the inject it in the tasks that will get them there #witchdoctor.
  • Others are driven by both. A healthy mix of pain and pleasure pushing them from behind and pulling them forward.
It all boils down to what is best for you.

What is it that has driven you to do the things you want/need to do?

jsk29

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
314%
Jul 30, 2014
US
@AndrewNC Maybe the business owner saw the movie Get Out? After I saw that movie I've resolved to never accept any psychotherapy/hypnosis service (and I'm not even black!).

Meditation and the Tao Te Ching are all I need.

Imgal

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Aug 9, 2015
Question for you @AndrewNC

Why do you make your pieces so long? Is it a filtering process to make sure only those willing to put in time and go beyond the quick skim read it as they're most likely to implement it? Just intrigued of the reasoning in a world of soundbites... and I know you have the answer!

MetalGear

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
258%
Jan 24, 2017
Narnia
You should write an entire book on these techniques. I think having examples is great. When people to tell me to visualize, I think ok...now what? The best book I've read so far about NLP/Meditation is into the Magic Shop by James Doty. It was more autobiographical than anything but seeing how he used the techniques during difficult life situations was enlightening. Would love to see a more practical NLP/Meditation book in the style of the Millionaire Fast Lane...

AndrewNC

Limitless
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
433%
Nov 14, 2011
You should write an entire book on these techniques.

Already did ;)

Just deciding what to call it...

Screen Shot 2017-06-09 at 10.04.36 AM.png

Screen Shot 2017-06-09 at 10.20.59 AM.png

Question for you @AndrewNC

Why do you make your pieces so long? Is it a filtering process to make sure only those willing to put in time and go beyond the quick skim read it as they're most likely to implement it? Just intrigued of the reasoning in a world of soundbites... and I know you have the answer!
5056acb4af9d3cf294e0ca451a3dd29a.png

I do what I want ;)

After all, it's all about sharing the knowledge with others. Anything after that doesn't matter, doesn't it not?

And as my official affiliate marketer, you can turn these into bite-sized clips however your English heart desires.

In essence, it's almost as if this post was written by you.

AndrewNC

Limitless
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
433%
Nov 14, 2011
@Imgal - probably still too long for you.

The Final Steps

The final step of the process is to pull the goal out of the future into the present moment (the emotions you're chasing after and the desire for something that's not here).

Switch the focus from what you want to what you want/need to do (which will lead to that)
  • I want the muscles -> I want to do 50 pushups every morning when I get out of bed.
  • I want to be a published author -> I want to write this chapter of my book on meditation.
  • I want to meet my dream cavewoman -> I want to go to the local watering hole and talk to different interesting people.
Notice a clear distinction in the tonality of the second part: "I want to do" instead of "I have to do".

When you say you have to do something, this harsh tonality leads to a negative emotion, and that is a sign that you can work your jedi-mind tricks from the last two chapters to super-charge it with the positive emotions that you want to feel.

You know you're going to do these things anyway - so why not enjoy doing them?

Something strange happened after doing this exercise on myself...

I was just riding my exercise bike which I dreaded and has been collecting dust in the corner of my room. 18 miles and 56 minutes into the ride: The same feelings I felt while hiking with dream cavegirl were the same feelings I was feeling as I rode the exercise bike. It was weird sensation.

The same feeling of happiness and love is felt when I'm on the exercise bike. Those same emotions of love and connectedness were felt as I bit into the kiwi I had for breakfast. The sugar-filled starch in the pantry was not even a part of my morning routine anymore (one day after doing this exercise). The couch I used to sit on all day and dream is disgusting. It's not me anymore.

When you put this to use, you essentially fill the things you needed to, but now want to do, with the emotions you want to feel (the ones you are chasing after).

When you reach this point to love and enjoy what you do now and feel the emotions you once chased after now, the things you do just flow out of you.
  • There is no longer a need to run away from the pain you feel by not taking action.
  • There is no longer a need to be chasing after something into the distant future, dissatisfied with what you're doing now.
The journey from where you are to where your goal is could be thousands of footsteps.

When you get there, it's just one moment in time before you go on and set another goal for yourself (the next business, the next book, the next fitness goal, the next milestone of your relationship).

99.9% of your time is spent taking the small steps in between your goals, so how about you enjoy the entire journey to get to the destination? No sense only enjoying one step out of a thousand. This way, you can have the motivation/progress (which were previously painful) and the happiness all at once.

You'll be doing the things you enjoy doing. You're enjoying the healthy eating and exercise. And you're enjoying meeting new and interesting people. All the things you used to avoid doing.

And you're making progress while you do it.

So maybe in the end you don't even need motivation. By following this formula. You just enjoy...doing it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.