The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Vegallan

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
125%
Mar 17, 2018
California
Whats up fastlaners,

Recently I have been thinking of the decision on whether I should drop out of high school now and take the GED test (which is extremely easy), or to stick it out and try to get my teachers on my side.

As far as high school goes, my grades at the moment are half F's and the other half D's. Yes it is shit, I know. I have hated school ever since the beginning of 2017, I recognize the teachers don't know shit and they do not even want to be there. For most of them this was their last call in life for a chance at making a decent salary. So instead of listening to their ways I chose to study by myself and self-taught myself social intelligence (psychology) within the past year, and now I have been learning programming.

If I leave school, I already have a job and would keep going there full time while studying outside of work. I would work and save till the end of Summer and move to Southern California to audit in classes since I do not want the debt.

In order for me to have a shot at graduating I have to convince my teachers to give me a shot and then I have to kick myself into gear and do a semester of work before finals. This is the difficult route compared to me getting to take the easy route and pass the GED with no trouble.

I ask for your guys advice because after you all read the millionaire fastlane , I know you understand where my mentality is at.

What do you think is better? My WADM sheet told me the GED was. Please help out and thank you for taking the time to read.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Thoelt53

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
293%
Dec 8, 2016
Boston, MA
If you can't finish high school you're going to have a really F*cking hard time going forward in life.

The teachers aren't the reason you're failing and aren't going to graduate. Regardless of whether or not they want to be there, or if they suck at teaching, YOU aren't doing the work necessary to graduate.

If you won't do the work necessary to graduate, it's far-fetched to think that you can do the work necessary to start and grow a business.

Thoelt53

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
293%
Dec 8, 2016
Boston, MA
Triple post coming up.

High school is as easy as it gets. All you have to do is memorize a load of Scripted bullshit, and regurgitate said bullshit back onto a test.

But, it requires discipline.

Discipline is crucial to building and growing a business.

Discipline
is critical in every area of your life whether it's your health, relationships, finances, etc.

Discipline
ensures that you deliver to those who who are relying on you.

Discipline
is what carries you through the shit when the going gets tough.

Are you seeing the pattern?

Argue

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
385%
Oct 1, 2016
NYC
Stay in school. Get your diploma.

AllenCrawley

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
420%
Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ

AnAverageJoe

remember that you will die
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
292%
Feb 4, 2017
NMBSC
I hated school too. Every part of it. I looked for every excuse not to finish like you're doing right now. I wasn't a good student, but I eventually sucked it up and graduated on time with everyone else. It was the only real option I had.

Graduate. It might be hard, and it might take a lot more work than just quitting and getting your GED, but you put yourself in that situation. Finishing high school will be easy compared to the rest of what life can throw at you.

Having a diploma is more respected than having a GED. You could drop out and be a huge success with a GED, who knows. And it's already been said but we can't make those life decisions for you, but I would urge you to get your diploma. If you bust your a$$ and make it to graduation, you'll feel amazing walking across that stage and grabbing that diploma.

ZF Lee

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jul 27, 2016
Malaysia
If you can't finish high school you're going to have a really f*cking hard time going forward in life.

The teachers aren't the reason you're failing and aren't going to graduate. Regardless of whether or not they want to be there, or if they suck at teaching, YOU aren't doing the work necessary to graduate.

If you won't do the work necessary to graduate, it's far-fetched to think that you can do the work necessary to start and grow a business.
Academic aside, many schools do have clubs and societies to join.

Although they may not be pure Fastlane-ish, they equip you with lots of skills and experiences that can be the seed for marketable skills.

I actually landed a gig for an Upwork project just because I had done something similar to what the client was asking for in high school. Drawing up training outlines and designing training games.

Surprisingly fun, although I thought the work would be mundane.

In high school, most likely the clubs aren't rich. So, to help run a club with scarcity of resources, you'll have to be more entrepreneural and resourceful.

Anything needing a little handiwork, like creating booths for a fair? You'll have to weight the budget and consider the best routes to take. You'll need to screen through applicants, and delegate.

Going for a competition? You'll have to get everyone on board, and do whatever it takes. I went for a Bible Knowledge competition, and that was the HARDEST thing I have ever done besides Fastlane (lol). Tons of memorization of details and facts.

I also got to go for numerous youth camps, working as both logistics, secretarial or leadership roles. The jobs got stiff, but you get a great view of what works and what doesn't.

I actually feel sad that now with my FTE, Fastlane and freelance work, I have to spend less time for all these clubs in college. I would have been enriched more, should I choose to go all in to run clubs again. However, when it comes deciding which has more potential scalability and direct monetisation, I had to choose more business-orientated ventures.

Consider additional marginal benefits other than grades!:p

As far as high school goes, my grades at the moment are half F's and the other half D's.
I'm not a genius student.

But I know that it is actually impossible to score F and Ds if you put in the work. Even a half-past-six cramming on the days before exam can get you a C or a low B-. I had 11 SUBJECTS for high school.(I'm not from the USA)

What are you doing about this? Past year papers online? Meetings with teachers?

Time to apply Fastlane to studies. The core of Fastlane is not really all about making money, but about solving problems. Think of grades as just another form of currency. You solve problems and challenges, and you get paid with grades.

Same with business. Solve problems, get paid, and you scale it up.

If you can work on your grades, you have sowed the seeds towards a Fastlane attitude that outlasts any business.

WaterWerks

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Mar 25, 2018
NYC
follow what you know is right, better yet follow your gut feeling.

ive met homeless college graduates with all kinds of diplomas, I've also met super wealthy people who don't even have a GED.

what you know
who you know
luck.

in that pattern.

Vegallan

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
125%
Mar 17, 2018
California
If you can't finish high school you're going to have a really f*cking hard time going forward in life.

When I first read this it made sense. If I am not going to put in the work I obviously am not going to get the grades. Each time I told myself I would skip out on homework or each time I chose to skip class I consciously made the decision to fail.

But why did I choose to fail? Maybe laziness. Or a lack of discipline. There could have been a lot of factors. But the main one that always sticks with me whenever I get into a discussion on why I am failing, I tell them that when I am outside of the classroom I learn more in 12 hours than I can in an entire week of school.

School did not show me the millionaire fastlane . School did not teach me to have the mentality to grit through life and overcome all the self defeating obstacles. School did not teach me social intelligence. School did not teach me how to learn the numbers that businesses and tax payers play with. School tells me that I am a failure because I do not do homework when I get A's on Every test?

What did school do for me then? Well the big one is math. I love that shit and it has gotten me further than anything else. It has tried to teach me how to be a dull-obedient worker for the corporate world, obviously failed. It taught me how to be disciplined and schooled, not educated. All college grads I talk to tell me that high school is meant to teach you how to be organized, manage time, and follow rules. Not about content. For F*cks sake, I was TEACHING my math class for my teachers the past month.

I forgot to say I am 18 and about to finish high school. But the big question is, with these low grades, am I going to graduate. Am I supposed to take the risk of sacrificing these next two months on a chance at getting a diploma if all goes right, or take the safe route and get the GED now to start life early.

I know you aren't supposed to make my decisions for me. I did not ask you to make your decision for me. I will gladly do it myself. I want your opinion, your take on the matter knowing what is going on in my head and situation. When people are young they are not going to make the right decisions all the time but I have nobody else to seek and ask for help.

I wish I could meet all of you face to face to show you that I am not the typical dumbo druggy who flunks out of high school. I put matters into things I see as worthy of my energy. I only have a finite amount of it. In my eyes, I am not going to be accepted into a 4 year no matter what I do, and if I do go to a CC, well they accept everyone.

Looks like I made my decision..

Vegallan

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
125%
Mar 17, 2018
California
I hated school too. Every part of it. I looked for every excuse not to finish like you're doing right now. I wasn't a good student, but I eventually sucked it up and graduated on time with everyone else. It was the only real option I had.

Graduate. It might be hard, and it might take a lot more work than just quitting and getting your GED, but you put yourself in that situation. Finishing high school will be easy compared to the rest of what life can throw at you.

Having a diploma is more respected than having a GED. You could drop out and be a huge success with a GED, who knows. And it's already been said but we can't make those life decisions for you, but I would urge you to get your diploma. If you bust your a$$ and make it to graduation, you'll feel amazing walking across that stage and grabbing that diploma.
Out of all the replies yours had hit me the hardest because it is the most true when I put myself into your shoes.

May I ask why you believed that was the only real option you had?

D

Deleted50669

Consider this, whatever you try to do after your formal education will require good reading, math, and writing skills. Whether you sell a product or service, those three competencies are nonnegotiable to get the work done with high quality. High school is not just about a diploma, it's about developing those competencies so you can leave and create value. Don't cheat yourself out of being good at creating value by dropping out.

JWelch

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
246%
Aug 12, 2016
Arizona
I recognize the teachers don't know sh*t and they do not even want to be there. For most of them this was their last call in life for a chance at making a decent salary.
This is a perception I would suggest changing. Teachers are people like everyone else. People with feelings and goals and families. If you really want to take a step in the right direction, I would start by changing your opinion of these people.
Success in life is based on relationships and regardless of your choice to stay in school or not, if you can find a way to cultivate a better relationship with the people you're around, you'll be better off in the long run. It's a critical life skill.

Vegallan

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
125%
Mar 17, 2018
California
This is a perception I would suggest changing. Teachers are people like everyone else. People with feelings and goals and families. If you really want to take a step in the right direction, I would start by changing your opinion of these people.
Success in life is based on relationships and regardless of your choice to stay in school or not, if you can find a way to cultivate a better relationship with the people you're around, you'll be better off in the long run. It's a critical life skill.
That is what I learned in the year of studying on social intelligence. I recognized that everyone cares about themselves and the person everyone loves the most is their self.

I don't show these people what I really think of them. I make everybody feel special, I know how to charm a person up.

It would be stupid for me to say I studied social intelligence for a year yet I go out onto the streets telling everyone "F*ck you" "eat a dick."

Essentially it's not my actions I need to change, rather my perception entirely like you had said.

Thank you for the insight Welch

JWelch

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
246%
Aug 12, 2016
Arizona
I
Is that supposed to scare me into action?

Welch, this is a serious question and all sides should be weighed with a reason.
It's not supposed to scare you into anything. You said you've done a lot of study on psych lately. Your unconscious, has a way of identifying you by your past actions. What I'm saying is this is a mental as well as physical decision and you would lose credibility with yourself.

Vegallan

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
125%
Mar 17, 2018
California
I

It's not supposed to scare you into anything. You said you've done a lot of study on psych lately. Your unconscious, has a way of identifying you by your past actions. What I'm saying is this is a mental as well as physical decision and you would lose credibility with yourself.
Essentially with what you know of me so far, would you hire me if I was to apply and work for you.

Predicting in the sense your business has to do with smarts and not physicality.

Kennypaul

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Mar 19, 2018
Nigeria
Whats up fastlaners,

Recently I have been thinking of the decision on whether I should drop out of high school now and take the GED test (which is extremely easy), or to stick it out and try to get my teachers on my side.

As far as high school goes, my grades at the moment are half F's and the other half D's. Yes it is sh*t, I know. I have hated school ever since the beginning of 2017, I recognize the teachers don't know sh*t and they do not even want to be there. For most of them this was their last call in life for a chance at making a decent salary. So instead of listening to their ways I chose to study by myself and self-taught myself social intelligence (psychology) within the past year, and now I have been learning programming.

If I leave school, I already have a job and would keep going there full time while studying outside of work. I would work and save till the end of Summer and move to Southern California to audit in classes since I do not want the debt.

In order for me to have a shot at graduating I have to convince my teachers to give me a shot and then I have to kick myself into gear and do a semester of work before finals. This is the difficult route compared to me getting to take the easy route and pass the GED with no trouble.

I ask for your guys advice because after you all read the millionaire fastlane , I know you understand where my mentality is at.

What do you think is better? My WADM sheet told me the GED was. Please help out and thank you for taking the time to read.
Hello Vegallan.I'm also a student at college.But just because I read TMF and UNSCRIPTED ,doesn't mean I have to magically drop out.While being there,you can be working on yourself till you finish.Posting this wasn't necessary.There is a place on the forum called "common forum questions:answered" and this is one of the main topics.

JWelch

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
246%
Aug 12, 2016
Arizona
Essentially with what you know of me so far, would you hire me if I was to apply and work for you.

Predicting in the sense your business has to do with smarts and not physicality.
Hypothetically speaking if you were to tell me the story of wanting to quit school and get a GED but you decided to make a fundamental change to cultivate relationships with your teachers and finished with a diploma you'd move up a notch and be at the top of my list.

Vegallan

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
125%
Mar 17, 2018
California
Hello Vegallan.I'm also a student at college.But just because I read TMF and UNSCRIPTED ,doesn't mean I have to magically drop out.While being there,you can be working on yourself till you finish.Posting this wasn't necessary.There is a place on the forum called "common forum questions:answered" and this is one of the main topics.
Read my reply a few up.

I know there are a lot about dropping out of college. I am not in college, rather in high school.

I do not want to drop out of school only cause I read a book. Rather because I do not want to waste my time nor energy.

C'mon man.

Vegallan

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
125%
Mar 17, 2018
California
Hypothetically speaking if you were to tell me the story of wanting to quit school and get a GED but you decided to make a fundamental change to cultivate relationships with your teachers and finished with a diploma you'd move up a notch and be at the top of my list.
Aha I like your motivation.

I just cannot wrap my head around the fact that not ONE person has said the GED would be better. Not one.

Is my idea really that far-fetched?

JWelch

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
246%
Aug 12, 2016
Arizona
Aha I like your motivation.

I just cannot wrap my head around the fact that not ONE person has said the GED would be better. Not one.

Is my idea really that far-fetched?
That should tell you something.

Vegallan

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
125%
Mar 17, 2018
California
That should tell you something.
My bad, I was wrong. It has been everyone but one.

I've been in the coffee shop the past few hours and two professors came in and I knew it was an opportunity waiting to happen.

After they were done talking one headed off but one came right next to me and that is when I opened him asking him what he does and letting him speak of his own self for a few minutes before I asked him my question of is the GED worse than the diploma.

He said that they were both equivalent in the sense that if one was not going to university it did not matter what they had. They both would have the same opportunities, and one should go to a community college anyway because of the extreme prices today.

Yeah, I thought that made sense cause that was what I was waiting to hear.

With everyone else though, I get the point told that I will feel awesome going across the stage and grabbing the diploma. I will know that instead of giving up I rose above myself and proved my capabilities to not only me but all who had doubted my success. Sound like a taste of what my ambitions are?

I don't know. This is one of those big decisions in life and will be the first of many, I know. Maybe I am making it too difficult and like you said, the correct choice has been said enough.

Still got doubts...

Kennypaul

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Mar 19, 2018
Nigeria
It doesn't matter if it's college or high school. I feel the same way sometimes(like you are wasting time and energy).Honestly,you could quit, and things might become awesome, or not,who knows.Inspite of what anybody tells you,It's your decision to make.

AnAverageJoe

remember that you will die
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
292%
Feb 4, 2017
NMBSC
Out of all the replies yours had hit me the hardest because it is the most true when I put myself into your shoes.

May I ask why you believed that was the only real option you had?

There were a couple of reasons. I felt like if I quit on high school, if I quit on something that everyone else around me was accomplishing, that everyone is supposed to accomplish, then where would it end? What would I give up on next? If I could justify dropping out of high school, what else could I justify?

Secondly, I grew up in a pretty rural small town. My high school had "cow pie bingo" just to give you an idea of the environment I was brought up in. My biggest fear was that if I didn't graduate high school I'd be doomed to live the rest of my life and then die in that small town. I felt like if I didn't get that diploma I'd be stuck for life.

SquatchMan

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
383%
Dec 27, 2016
Nowhere

You want to take the easy route instead of the difficult route?

I can 100% guarantee you that you're going to struggle with business if that is how you make major life decisions.

Also, you're going to have to do a lifetime of work as an entrepreneur (or even a contributing member of society). Get used to working.

You're going to self study social psychology, learn programming, and audit college classes. That sounds like a dumb plan to me.

When you drop out (I think you've already made up your mind), I'd recommend you do something besides learning/studying (action faking) with all your free time. Since this is FLF, that would be making money outside of your minimum wage job.

Check out some of the hustling/flipping threads. If that's not your thing, then check out the SinisterLex Upwork/freelancing threads.

If you make money doing that, then you'll eventually see a need to fill. You'll also learn some good business skills.

Stop learning. Start earning.

--------

Unrelated to the above, but I actually think dropping out of high school can be a good idea for a very small subset of people:

Dropping out of high school because you need more time to focus on YOUR business/project (think Richard Branson)?

Good. You'll be successful with or without your diploma. This is likely under 1% of high school dropouts.

Everyone else. Stay in school.

ch3wy

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Mar 8, 2018
California
Looks like you got yourself in a pretty troublesome situation. However, I applaud you for actually having a plan for both options. I would've started freaking out if I had F's and D's (that's what happens when you grow up in an Asian family) and I would have been slapped silly for even thinking about dropping out.

I can't make this decision for you, but I think since the school year is almost complete, why not end the school year on a kick a$$ note? You said earlier that you have a way of charming people. This would be a great time to put what you learned from psychology to the test and see if you can negotiate something with the teacher. Negotiation is a great skill to have when talking to clients. The work you have to do to graduate? Think of how much more you will have to do when you actually have your own business to run. That shows determination to reach a goal. You said you're also learning programming. Anything you see in your classes that you think can use programming? Jump start your goal to entrepreneurship by making a teacher's life easier.

Throw the thought of getting the diploma or GED aside for a minute and think about this from a storytelling perspective: This hole that you dug for yourself in is an opportunity for you to craft an awesome story you can share with people in the future. People love stories and I am sure you're going to get a lot of looks your way if you can craft a story that shows value building and applying what you learned by yourself. Can you get a story that's even half as interesting if you go the easy route?

Vegallan

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
125%
Mar 17, 2018
California
You want to take the easy route instead of the difficult route?

I can 100% guarantee you that you're going to struggle with business if that is how you make major life decisions.

Also, you're going to have to do a lifetime of work as an entrepreneur (or even a contributing member of society). Get used to working.

You're going to self study social psychology, learn programming, and audit college classes. That sounds like a dumb plan to me.

When you drop out (I think you've already made up your mind), I'd recommend you do something besides learning/studying (action faking) with all your free time. Since this is FLF, that would be making money outside of your minimum wage job.

Check out some of the hustling/flipping threads. If that's not your thing, then check out the SinisterLex Upwork/freelancing threads.

If you make money doing that, then you'll eventually see a need to fill. You'll also learn some good business skills.

Stop learning. Start earning.

--------

Unrelated to the above, but I actually think dropping out of high school can be a good idea for a very small subset of people:

Dropping out of high school because you need more time to focus on YOUR business/project (think Richard Branson)?

Good. You'll be successful with or without your diploma. This is likely under 1% of high school dropouts.

Everyone else. Stay in school.
Squach that is what I have been trying to say.

I have been learning programming and social intelligence so I can create my business online and not have to invest a load of money right away, and know how to bring in clients, market, etc.

I think you have it mixed up to where I want to just leave the school cause I can. No, I want to leave so that I can get on with things now instead of rubbing it out and having to focus on high school when my GED will look the same as my diploma when they see my transcript.

If that doesn't sound plausible to you, prove me wrong because I thought I made a bit of sense on why I would leave.

aminmo

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
481%
Jan 2, 2018
United States
Here's a question you should ask yourself first:

Do you have a SPECIFIC goal in mind that REQUIRES you to invest 99% of your time into it? (The keywords here are the two bolded words.)

If yes, then drop out. If no, then don't.

As a high school dropout myself, I knew exactly what I wanted to do and how to achieve this specific goal. So, naturally, I dropped out so I could pursue it.

However, when I was IN school, I had straight A's, skipped most of my classes, aced practically every test, and was basically one of the most hated students by the teachers because I was able to score so highly on tests without doing the majority of the homework. I'm not saying this to brag, I'm saying this because I knew school wasn't for me. Not only was it too easy , but going to school wasn't going to help me achieve the goal I set out for myself. So I dropped out.

Now, let me ask you this: Are you just wanting to drop out because you 'hate' school? Because if so, then that's an extremely immature reason and could end up f***ing you in the long run. Trust me. School is basically the easy version of 'life'. Whatever you hate in school will be amplified by 10 when you get to the real world. So if you can't handle school, then you're not cut out for the fastlane life.

Just my 2 cents.

Last edited:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.