• The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success
  1. Join 40,000+ entrepreneurs
    who are kicking butt and
    winning their dream life.

Unscripted™ Entrepreneurship:
    A Business That Pays More Than Money, It Pays Time.

"Fastlane" is an entrepreneur discussion forum based on The Unscripted Entrepreneurial Framework (TUNEF) outlined in the two best-selling books by MJ DeMarco (The Millionaire Fastlane and UNSCRIPTED™). From multimillionaires to digital nomads, the forum features real entrepreneurs creating real businesses.

Download (Unscripted) Download (Millionaire Fastlane)  Register
    Registering for the forum removes this block!

Should I Drop Out of High School?

Discussion in 'Education, Learning, Books' started by Vegallan, Mar 27, 2018.

1. Vegallan

Vegallan Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane

Rep Bank:
    $102
    Whats up fastlaners,

Recently I have been thinking of the decision on whether I should drop out of high school now and take the GED test (which is extremely easy), or to stick it out and try to get my teachers on my side.

As far as high school goes, my grades at the moment are half F's and the other half D's. Yes it is sh*t, I know. I have hated school ever since the beginning of 2017, I recognize the teachers don't know sh*t and they do not even want to be there. For most of them this was their last call in life for a chance at making a decent salary. So instead of listening to their ways I chose to study by myself and self-taught myself social intelligence (psychology) within the past year, and now I have been learning programming.

If I leave school, I already have a job and would keep going there full time while studying outside of work. I would work and save till the end of Summer and move to Southern California to audit in classes since I do not want the debt.

In order for me to have a shot at graduating I have to convince my teachers to give me a shot and then I have to kick myself into gear and do a semester of work before finals. This is the difficult route compared to me getting to take the easy route and pass the GED with no trouble.

I ask for your guys advice because after you all read the millionaire fastlane, I know you understand where my mentality is at.

What do you think is better? My WADM sheet told me the GED was. Please help out and thank you for taking the time to read.

2. Thoelt53

Thoelt53 Silver Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $3,223
  3. Thoelt53

Thoelt53 Silver Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $3,223
    If you can't finish high school you're going to have a really f*cking hard time going forward in life.

The teachers aren't the reason you're failing and aren't going to graduate. Regardless of whether or not they want to be there, or if they suck at teaching, YOU aren't doing the work necessary to graduate.

If you won't do the work necessary to graduate, it's far-fetched to think that you can do the work necessary to start and grow a business.

4. Thoelt53

Rep Bank:
    $3,223
    Triple post coming up.

High school is as easy as it gets. All you have to do is memorize a load of Scripted bullshit, and regurgitate said bullshit back onto a test.

But, it requires discipline.

Discipline is crucial to building and growing a business.

Discipline
    is critical in every area of your life whether it's your health, relationships, finances, etc.

Discipline
    ensures that you deliver to those who who are relying on you.

Discipline
    is what carries you through the sh*t when the going gets tough.

Are you seeing the pattern?

5. Argue

Argue Gold Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $15,096
    Stay in school. Get your diploma.

Mr.C, Xeon, Bdenner64 and 3 others like this.
  6. AllenCrawley

AllenCrawley Legendary Contributor Staff Member Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $72,103
  7. AnAverageJoe

AnAverageJoe Worse than a drunken sloth Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $1,532
    I hated school too. Every part of it. I looked for every excuse not to finish like you're doing right now. I wasn't a good student, but I eventually sucked it up and graduated on time with everyone else. It was the only real option I had.

Graduate. It might be hard, and it might take a lot more work than just quitting and getting your GED, but you put yourself in that situation. Finishing high school will be easy compared to the rest of what life can throw at you.

Having a diploma is more respected than having a GED. You could drop out and be a huge success with a GED, who knows. And it's already been said but we can't make those life decisions for you, but I would urge you to get your diploma. If you bust your a$$ and make it to graduation, you'll feel amazing walking across that stage and grabbing that diploma.

8. ZF Lee

ZF Lee Gold Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $7,178
    Academic aside, many schools do have clubs and societies to join.

Although they may not be pure Fastlane-ish, they equip you with lots of skills and experiences that can be the seed for marketable skills.

I actually landed a gig for an Upwork project just because I had done something similar to what the client was asking for in high school. Drawing up training outlines and designing training games.

Surprisingly fun, although I thought the work would be mundane.

In high school, most likely the clubs aren't rich. So, to help run a club with scarcity of resources, you'll have to be more entrepreneural and resourceful.

Anything needing a little handiwork, like creating booths for a fair? You'll have to weight the budget and consider the best routes to take. You'll need to screen through applicants, and delegate.

Going for a competition? You'll have to get everyone on board, and do whatever it takes. I went for a Bible Knowledge competition, and that was the HARDEST thing I have ever done besides Fastlane (lol). Tons of memorization of details and facts.

I also got to go for numerous youth camps, working as both logistics, secretarial or leadership roles. The jobs got stiff, but you get a great view of what works and what doesn't.

I actually feel sad that now with my FTE, Fastlane and freelance work, I have to spend less time for all these clubs in college. I would have been enriched more, should I choose to go all in to run clubs again. However, when it comes deciding which has more potential scalability and direct monetisation, I had to choose more business-orientated ventures.

Consider additional marginal benefits other than grades!:p

I'm not a genius student.

But I know that it is actually impossible to score F and Ds if you put in the work. Even a half-past-six cramming on the days before exam can get you a C or a low B-. I had 11 SUBJECTS for high school.(I'm not from the USA)

What are you doing about this? Past year papers online? Meetings with teachers?

Time to apply Fastlane to studies. The core of Fastlane is not really all about making money, but about solving problems. Think of grades as just another form of currency. You solve problems and challenges, and you get paid with grades.

Same with business. Solve problems, get paid, and you scale it up.

If you can work on your grades, you have sowed the seeds towards a Fastlane attitude that outlasts any business.

9. WaterWerks

WaterWerks Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $252
    follow what you know is right, better yet follow your gut feeling.

ive met homeless college graduates with all kinds of diplomas, I've also met super wealthy people who don't even have a GED.

what you know
    who you know
    luck.

in that pattern.

Courtman likes this.
  10. Vegallan

Rep Bank:
    $102
    When I first read this it made sense. If I am not going to put in the work I obviously am not going to get the grades. Each time I told myself I would skip out on homework or each time I chose to skip class I consciously made the decision to fail.

But why did I choose to fail? Maybe laziness. Or a lack of discipline. There could have been a lot of factors. But the main one that always sticks with me whenever I get into a discussion on why I am failing, I tell them that when I am outside of the classroom I learn more in 12 hours than I can in an entire week of school.

School did not show me the millionaire fastlane. School did not teach me to have the mentality to grit through life and overcome all the self defeating obstacles. School did not teach me social intelligence. School did not teach me how to learn the numbers that businesses and tax payers play with. School tells me that I am a failure because I do not do homework when I get A's on Every test?

What did school do for me then? Well the big one is math. I love that sh*t and it has gotten me further than anything else. It has tried to teach me how to be a dull-obedient worker for the corporate world, obviously failed. It taught me how to be disciplined and schooled, not educated. All college grads I talk to tell me that high school is meant to teach you how to be organized, manage time, and follow rules. Not about content. For f*cks sake, I was TEACHING my math class for my teachers the past month.

I forgot to say I am 18 and about to finish high school. But the big question is, with these low grades, am I going to graduate. Am I supposed to take the risk of sacrificing these next two months on a chance at getting a diploma if all goes right, or take the safe route and get the GED now to start life early.

I know you aren't supposed to make my decisions for me. I did not ask you to make your decision for me. I will gladly do it myself. I want your opinion, your take on the matter knowing what is going on in my head and situation. When people are young they are not going to make the right decisions all the time but I have nobody else to seek and ask for help.

I wish I could meet all of you face to face to show you that I am not the typical dumbo druggy who flunks out of high school. I put matters into things I see as worthy of my energy. I only have a finite amount of it. In my eyes, I am not going to be accepted into a 4 year no matter what I do, and if I do go to a CC, well they accept everyone.

Looks like I made my decision..

MJ DeMarco and ZF Lee like this.
  11. Vegallan

Rep Bank:
    $102
    Out of all the replies yours had hit me the hardest because it is the most true when I put myself into your shoes.

May I ask why you believed that was the only real option you had?

AnAverageJoe likes this.
  12. JWelch

JWelch Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $2,718
    IMHO if you quit now, you'll be a quitter the rest of your life.

Real Deal Denver, Xeon and Thoelt53 like this.
  13. 404profound

404profound Gold Contributor I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $1,277
    Consider this, whatever you try to do after your formal education will require good reading, math, and writing skills. Whether you sell a product or service, those three competencies are nonnegotiable to get the work done with high quality. High school is not just about a diploma, it's about developing those competencies so you can leave and create value. Don't cheat yourself out of being good at creating value by dropping out.

Real Deal Denver and Andy Black like this.
  14. JWelch

JWelch Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $2,718
    This is a perception I would suggest changing. Teachers are people like everyone else. People with feelings and goals and families. If you really want to take a step in the right direction, I would start by changing your opinion of these people.
    Success in life is based on relationships and regardless of your choice to stay in school or not, if you can find a way to cultivate a better relationship with the people you're around, you'll be better off in the long run. It's a critical life skill.

15. Vegallan

Rep Bank:
    $102
    Is that supposed to scare me into action?

Welch, this is a serious question and all sides should be weighed with a reason.

16. Vegallan

Rep Bank:
    $102
    That is what I learned in the year of studying on social intelligence. I recognized that everyone cares about themselves and the person everyone loves the most is their self.

I don't show these people what I really think of them. I make everybody feel special, I know how to charm a person up.

It would be stupid for me to say I studied social intelligence for a year yet I go out onto the streets telling everyone "f*ck you" "eat a dick."

Essentially it's not my actions I need to change, rather my perception entirely like you had said.

Thank you for the insight Welch

Andy Black and ZF Lee like this.
  17. JWelch

Rep Bank:
    $2,718
    I
    It's not supposed to scare you into anything. You said you've done a lot of study on psych lately. Your unconscious, has a way of identifying you by your past actions. What I'm saying is this is a mental as well as physical decision and you would lose credibility with yourself.

ZF Lee likes this.
  18. Vegallan

Rep Bank:
    $102
    Essentially with what you know of me so far, would you hire me if I was to apply and work for you.

Predicting in the sense your business has to do with smarts and not physicality.

ZF Lee likes this.
  19. Kennypaul

Kennypaul Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $828
    Hello Vegallan.I'm also a student at college.But just because I read TMF and UNSCRIPTED,doesn't mean I have to magically drop out.While being there,you can be working on yourself till you finish.Posting this wasn't necessary.There is a place on the forum called "common forum questions:answered" and this is one of the main topics.

ZF Lee likes this.
  20. JWelch

Rep Bank:
    $2,718
    Hypothetically speaking if you were to tell me the story of wanting to quit school and get a GED but you decided to make a fundamental change to cultivate relationships with your teachers and finished with a diploma you'd move up a notch and be at the top of my list.

Andy Black likes this.
  21. Vegallan

Rep Bank:
    $102
    Read my reply a few up.

I know there are a lot about dropping out of college. I am not in college, rather in high school.

I do not want to drop out of school only cause I read a book. Rather because I do not want to waste my time nor energy.

C'mon man.

ZF Lee likes this.
  22. Vegallan

Rep Bank:
    $102
    Aha I like your motivation.

I just cannot wrap my head around the fact that not ONE person has said the GED would be better. Not one.

Is my idea really that far-fetched?

23. JWelch

Rep Bank:
    $2,718
    That should tell you something.

Andy Black likes this.
  24. Vegallan

Rep Bank:
    $102
    My bad, I was wrong. It has been everyone but one.

I've been in the coffee shop the past few hours and two professors came in and I knew it was an opportunity waiting to happen.

After they were done talking one headed off but one came right next to me and that is when I opened him asking him what he does and letting him speak of his own self for a few minutes before I asked him my question of is the GED worse than the diploma.

He said that they were both equivalent in the sense that if one was not going to university it did not matter what they had. They both would have the same opportunities, and one should go to a community college anyway because of the extreme prices today.

Yeah, I thought that made sense cause that was what I was waiting to hear.

With everyone else though, I get the point told that I will feel awesome going across the stage and grabbing the diploma. I will know that instead of giving up I rose above myself and proved my capabilities to not only me but all who had doubted my success. Sound like a taste of what my ambitions are?

I don't know. This is one of those big decisions in life and will be the first of many, I know. Maybe I am making it too difficult and like you said, the correct choice has been said enough.

Still got doubts...

25. Kennypaul

Kennypaul Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $828
    It doesn't matter if it's college or high school. I feel the same way sometimes(like you are wasting time and energy).Honestly,you could quit, and things might become awesome, or not,who knows.Inspite of what anybody tells you,It's your decision to make.

ZF Lee likes this.