The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
I've read the whole thread. What I'm hearing you say is that you don't want to waste your time -- IF you spend it getting a high school diploma rather than just going straight for a GED -- so you can get on with your life. Your reason for making this decision is because you are behind in your school work, it too much work to catch it all up and you have total contempt for your teachers.

Most of the people who answered you on this forum haven't supported your plan, but you are undeterred. You went out got another opinion that supports your plan.

Did I understand you correctly?

Part of finishing high school is a chance and maybe a bit of time for you to grow up some. Your brain won't finish its growing until around when you are 25 years old. Through this maturation process, you will hopefully learn some respect and empathy for other people. Your lack in that area is glaring in your posts -- especially your contempt for your teachers and your free public education. Maybe you will learn enough social graces and better command of the English language to leave the nasty language out of your posts. But, do what you will. We, on this forum, will continue shuffling along -- working our businesses, building our lives, and yes, educating ourselves through both formal education and self-education.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Vegallan

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
125%
Mar 17, 2018
California
Here's a question you should ask yourself first:

Do you have a SPECIFIC goal in mind that REQUIRES you to invest 99% of your time into it? (The keywords here are the two bolded words.)

If yes, then drop out. If no, then don't.

As a high school dropout myself, I knew exactly what I wanted to do and how to achieve this specific goal. So, naturally, I dropped out so I could pursue it.

However, when I was IN school, I had straight A's, skipped most of my classes, aced practically every test, and was basically one of the most hated students by the teachers because I was able to score so highly on tests without doing the majority of the homework. I'm not saying this to brag, I'm saying this because I knew school wasn't for me. Not only was it too easy , but going to school wasn't going to help em achieve the goal I set out for myself. So I dropped out.

Now, let me ask you this: Are you just wanting to drop out because you 'hate' school? Because if so, then that's an extremely immature reason and could end up f***ing you in the long run. Trust me. School is basically the easy version of 'life'. Whatever you hate in school will be amplified by 10 when you get to the real world. So if you can't handle school, then you're not cut out for the fastlane life.

Just my 2 cents.
The paragraph of you being in school, I don't think I could have related to you any better.

I was given a second chance at the end of first semester this year by the school board because they knew I had the brains. Thing is, that pissed the shit out of my assistant principle because she wanted me gone for "disrespecting" her by not showing up to class at all yet still exceeding everybody in test scores.

You're 100% correct in the sense it should only be for a goal. Without a doubt there would be no other reason for me to leave.

Thank you aminmo.

Wait... one question. Did you yourself get a GED?

Last edited:

Vegallan

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
125%
Mar 17, 2018
California
I've read the whole thread. What I'm hearing you say is that you don't want to waste your time -- IF you spend it getting a high school diploma rather than just going straight for a GED -- so you can get on with your life. Your reason for making this decision is because you are behind in your school work, it too much work to catch it all up and you have total contempt for your teachers.

Most of the people who answered you on this forum haven't supported your plan, but you are undeterred. You went out got another opinion that supports your plan.

Did I understand you correctly?

Part of finishing high school is a chance and maybe a bit of time for you to grow up some. Your brain won't finish its growing until around when you are 25 years old. Through this maturation process, you will hopefully learn some respect and empathy for other people. Your lack in that area is glaring in your posts -- especially your contempt for your teachers and your free public education. Maybe you will learn enough social graces and better command of the English language to leave the nasty language out of your posts. But, do what you will. We, on this forum, will continue shuffling along -- working our businesses, building our lives, and yes, educating ourselves through both formal education and self-education.
Aha it's nice to see affirmation of my lack of empathy. I always thought I was missing something but nobody could prove it for me till now.

You're definitely correct. I am seeking validation to go on with the GED.

I shall improve on my aggressive behaviors and try to be more convincing in an altruistic way.

Thank you WJK

LeoT

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
167%
Mar 23, 2018
Serbia
I'm surprised by how many people blindly respect traditional "education" here.

High school eats up 1/2 of your waking hours and It's completely worthless education wise. At least a dead-end job pays your bills until you get your business going.

I'm a 16 year old high school student myself In one of the worst ranking high schools in Serbistan, so I have the added bonus of being surrounded by IQ 80 morons and marginally more Intelligent teachers for most of my day, but we don't have a GED program here which would make getting my diploma a pain in the butt if I decided to drop out. I say go for it!

aminmo

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
481%
Jan 2, 2018
United States
The paragraph of you being in school, I don't think I could have related to you any better.

I was given a second chance at the end of first semester this year by the school board because they knew I had the brains. Thing is, that pissed the sh*t out of my assistant principle because she wanted me gone for "disrespecting" her by not showing up to class at all yet still exceeding everybody in test scores.

You're 100% correct in the sense it should only be for a goal. Without a doubt there would be no other reason for me to leave.

Thank you aminmo.

Wait... one question. Did you yourself get a GED?

Exactly. So I mean, if you do have a goal, then you should definitely consider it.

I personally never got a GED because I never needed one. I had an entrepreneurial mindset ever since the 5th grade so I never considered diplomas or GEDs necessary for my own success. Although I will admit I got a ton of sh*t from my family for not getting a GED (I'm Asian so I had certain Asian 'expectations').

I'm 24 now (or am I 23... I forgot my own age lol), and I have a somewhat successful eCommerce store (made $1-mil in revenue in about 6 months), and I'm now finishing up 2 more stores that I'm gonna be launching around the middle of April.

And I'm proud to say I got here without a GED (or diploma) under my belt.

ZF Lee

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jul 27, 2016
Malaysia
You want to take the easy route instead of the difficult route?

I can 100% guarantee you that you're going to struggle with business if that is how you make major life decisions.

Also, you're going to have to do a lifetime of work as an entrepreneur (or even a contributing member of society). Get used to working.

You're going to self study social psychology, learn programming, and audit college classes. That sounds like a dumb plan to me.
I wouldn't call the GED/quit path an easy route, when you pretty much burnt some possibly vital bridges.

And the family might raise hell on it as well. Dropping out from a regular degree is one thing. But dropping out from high school? It feels like removing bread or rice from a supermarket.

IMO, learning programming is fine. Not easy to learn, but decent skill.

For psychology though, it might be better to have a community college professor or tutor with related professional experience to guide you. There's many voices on social psychology, many which are pretty unorthodox and un-standardized theories. Even for copywriting, another psychology-based field, I had to have Sinister and many others to light the darkness of insanity.

I'm surprised by how many people blindly respect traditional "education" here.

High school eats up 1/2 of your waking hours and It's completely worthless education wise. At least a dead-end job pays your bills until you get your business going.

I'm a 16 year old high school student myself In one of the worst ranking high schools in Serbistan, so I have the added bonus of being surrounded by IQ 80 morons and marginally more Intelligent teachers for most of my day, but we don't have a GED program here which would make getting my diploma a pain in the butt if I decided to drop out. I say go for it!
It's not 'blindly'.

It's a matter of principle. That is Fastlane for me.

You chose to do high school. If you have a few years more, finish it. Take accountability, and complete the things you promised to do, to your parents, if they had to pay for the education, or to the sponsor.

Business thrives on the ability to deliver on promises and decisions. Accountability.

On school ranking, none of that matters generally. My high school was about 10+ years old, and its ranking was pretty green-fresh. I didn't give a F*ck about ranking and did well.

Now, on the school morons you mentioned....don't judge them for who they seem to be.

I have friends who aren't book-smart and who are some spiteful brats, but they have ingenious abilities of other kinds. One of them was pretty notorious for pointing the middle finger at a school photo session and for scoring exactly 5 marks out of 100 for several exams, but yet I found him playing piano brilliantly for a graduation ceremony at school. He is doing computer programming now at a local university. That 'moron' did well!:)

And as for jobs, most countries need the high school certificate even for simple jobs. So, although high school certs may be a 'weak' key to the door of jobs, it might as well be an essential one.

I could talk more...but I think the 'go to college' threads could have explained some of the points I want to say.;)

Kennypaul

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Mar 19, 2018
Nigeria
I wouldn't call the GED/quit path an easy route, when you pretty much burnt some possibly vital bridges.

And the family might raise hell on it as well. Dropping out from a regular degree is one thing. But dropping out from high school? It feels like removing bread or rice from a supermarket.

IMO, learning programming is fine. Not easy to learn, but decent skill.

For psychology though, it might be better to have a community college professor or tutor with related professional experience to guide you. There's many voices on social psychology, many which are pretty unorthodox and un-standardized theories. Even for copywriting, another psychology-based field, I had to have Sinister and many others to light the darkness of insanity.

It's not 'blindly'.

It's a matter of principle. That is Fastlane for me.

You chose to do high school. If you have a few years more, finish it. Take accountability, and complete the things you promised to do, to your parents, if they had to pay for the education, or to the sponsor.

Business thrives on the ability to deliver on promises and decisions. Accountability.

On school ranking, none of that matters generally. My high school was about 10+ years old, and its ranking was pretty green-fresh. I didn't give a f*ck about ranking and did well.

Now, on the school morons you mentioned....don't judge them for who they seem to be.

I have friends who aren't book-smart and who are some spiteful brats, but they have ingenious abilities of other kinds. One of them was pretty notorious for pointing the middle finger at a school photo session and for scoring exactly 5 marks out of 100 for several exams, but yet I found him playing piano brilliantly for a graduation ceremony at school. He is doing computer programming now at a local university. That 'moron' did well!:)

And as for jobs, most countries need the high school certificate even for simple jobs. So, although high school certs may be a 'weak' key to the door of jobs, it might as well be an essential one.

I could talk more...but I think the 'go to college' threads could have explained some of the points I want to say.;)
You've practically said most of it all!.

SquatchMan

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
383%
Dec 27, 2016
Nowhere
I have been learning programming and social intelligence so I can create my business online and not have to invest a load of money right away, and know how to bring in clients, market, etc.

I didn't see anything about starting a business in your other replies.

Do you have any idea on what type of business you want to create? Any needs to solve?
Is school holding you back from starting this business?

You don't need to study programming or social intelligence to create a business. That is an action fake. That is my whole point.

An example, I had a very small business mowing lawns while I was 14. All I had was a lawnmower, a weed whacker, and some fliers. I didn't even have a car.

My brother and I just pushed the lawnmower around town. We learned more about managing clients and negotiating than we would have from one year of studying social intelligence.

I think you have it mixed up to where I want to just leave the school cause I can. No, I want to leave so that I can get on with things now instead of rubbing it out and having to focus on high school when my GED will look the same as my diploma when they see my transcript.

I still don't get why you need to quit right now. What pressing matters do you have that require you to quit right now?

High school takes about 8 hours a day, then maybe another 2 hours for homework. You also have a lunch break to work on homework or business.

That gives you 3 hours to work on business. More if you sacrifice sleep.

It's 3 months of that and then you're good. I just don't see the point in quitting since you're already so close, it doesn't cost you any money, and you don't have anything that needs to get finished right now.

Vegallan

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
125%
Mar 17, 2018
California
I still don't get why you need to quit right now. What pressing matters do you have that require you to quit right now?

High school takes about 8 hours a day, then maybe another 2 hours for homework. You also have a lunch break to work on homework or business.

That gives you 3 hours to work on business. More if you sacrifice sleep.

It's 3 months of that and then you're good. I just don't see the point in quitting since you're already so close, it doesn't cost you any money, and you don't have anything that needs to get finished right now.
To everybody who commented, thank you. I hope you can all see this, but I chose to quote Squatch because his words resonated with me the past 24 hours.

With the help of you guys and a few outside of the forum, I have come to the realization that the amount of work I have to do for the diploma is inexplicable to the worth of walking across the stage for a once in a lifetime deal.

Not only is walking across the stage a big part, but teaching myself to tough shit out and do things when necessary is another key component. The biggest of them all has to be me testing my word. Can I actually pull the act that I say is easy off?

While I stay on the path to graduate, Squatch also made it clear that I can still actually work on my website and teach myself things outside of class. I am not forced to go to sleep and not study. It will be my choice to skip on that if I end up doing so.

Impulses in me are strong, that is why I can only thank you guys for not actually validating my impulse and telling me to just do the damn thing. I respect that.

Take care gentlemen. Again, thank you.

BD64

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
218%
Jul 26, 2017
Denver, CO
To everybody who commented, thank you. I hope you can all see this, but I chose to quote Squatch because his words resonated with me the past 24 hours.

With the help of you guys and a few outside of the forum, I have come to the realization that the amount of work I have to do for the diploma is inexplicable to the worth of walking across the stage for a once in a lifetime deal.

Not only is walking across the stage a big part, but teaching myself to tough sh*t out and do things when necessary is another key component. The biggest of them all has to be me testing my word. Can I actually pull the act that I say is easy off?

While I stay on the path to graduate, Squatch also made it clear that I can still actually work on my website and teach myself things outside of class. I am not forced to go to sleep and not study. It will be my choice to skip on that if I end up doing so.

Impulses in me are strong, that is why I can only thank you guys for not actually validating my impulse and telling me to just do the damn thing. I respect that.

Really haven't read much so not much to contribute. i was going to say to atleast get your highschool diploma, think about college as that is a much larger commitment, but it looks like you've already made that decision.

I do however want to bring up what you just said about impulses. Often times your impulses are exactly the thing you need to fight against. Impulse brings you down the path of least resistance, where mediocrity and regret wait. Following your gut and following impulses are 2 very different things so be careful.

Vegallan

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
125%
Mar 17, 2018
California
Really haven't read much so not much to contribute. i was going to say to atleast get your highschool diploma, think about college as that is a much larger commitment, but it looks like you've already made that decision.

I do however want to bring up what you just said about impulses. Often times your impulses are exactly the thing you need to fight against. Impulse brings you down the path of least resistance, where mediocrity and regret wait. Following your gut and following impulses are 2 very different things so be careful.
Thank you for that insight. I recognize the difference now that you speak of it.

Every time a crisis occurs my body gets an impulse stronger than Arnold.

My gut feeling is what relinquishes the impulse a day or two past it.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I wish I could meet all of you face to face to show you that I am not the typical dumbo druggy who flunks out of high school.

Just an FYI, I've read all of your posts in this thread and I actually get the feeling you are intelligent, thoughtful, and visionary -- so for some reason, the "dropping out" doesn't scare me as it would with someone else.

For example, you write very well.

I just cannot wrap my head around the fact that not ONE person has said the GED would be better. Not one.

I'd say STAY and muscle it out, get the diploma, and prove to yourself that you can do the NASTY work that is often required to succeed.

Be an Andy Dufraine.

dufraine-freedom.jpg

Go through the sewer, and then once you're free, show the world how you knew you were right.

Not only is walking across the stage a big part, but teaching myself to tough sh*t out and do things when necessary is another key component. The biggest of them all has to be me testing my word. Can I actually pull the act that I say is easy off?

And here you show maturity and resolve.

I have no doubt you can do it. And I'd bet on you afterwards too.

Good luck!

Coalission

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
477%
Jan 8, 2014
Just an FYI, I've read all of your posts in this thread and I actually get the feeling you are intelligent, thoughtful, and visionary -- so for some reason, the "dropping out" doesn't scare me as it would with someone else.

Was planning on saying something like this but you beat me to it.

OP I say drop out and get your GED.

Skipping high school altogether is a different story, but at this point you're pretty much done with it, and it will not make a bit of difference, at all. It simply won't. As you get older, you'll realize time is precious, it has actual value, and you'll be glad you didn't waste those 3 months. There won't be a single time in your future where you'll be like "Aww shucks, I wish I could go back in time and do those last few months for an identical piece of paper to the one I got by getting a GED".

Most people are telling you to just finish high school because you're so close already, so what's the point in "quitting"? My opinion as someone who actually lived through it, is you're already so close and learned what you need to learn, so what's the point in finishing? What's the point of wasting the next 3 months? It's like saying walking out of a bad 4 hour movie when you're 3 hours in is because of a lack of discipline. Maybe it's just a respect for time?

If a high school diploma had any real tangible value over a GED, that would be different. But it doesn't. At all. I never even used to put it on my resume, I would just put the high school name on my resume, and 3 years instead of 4. If they ask, "Did you get a GED?" I would say yes. I was a savage in job interviews so it never made a difference, your results may vary.

I was actually on pace to graduate a little early, so I ended up skipping the last year and got the GED at 16, and it didn't make an iota of difference in any job, it didn't make a difference in building a business, and it didn't make a difference in my wife and I growing that business into over a million dollars a year NET.

If anything, it probably helped. When I first got to this forum, I was constantly spoken down to because I was in the dirty "affiliate marketing" business, that can't be fastlane, blah blah blah. Maybe I was too "uneducated" to know any better?

It could have also just been a fabricated "chip on my shoulder" that I used as fuel to keep me going. Either way, I stuck to my guns, turned it into a more diversified marketing business following @MJ DeMarco's principles and applying them to a supposed "non-fastlane" venture that so many people quit from at the first sign of adversity, and now we basically work 2 or 3 hours a week for 7 figures a year.

P.S. I was a B,C, and D student, would skip a lot, get into fights, but also knew to do just enough to pass. If you're a D and F student, then maybe you do have discipline issues, but even then I'd recommend get the GED. Save yourself the 3 months. The lack of structure, aka the real world, hits you fast and will straighten you up quick.

Last edited:

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska

It's not the walk across the stage that really counts -- it's the habit of finishing things that you start. It's succeeding rather than failing. Oh, failing in itself isn't a bad thing... Failing because you didn't apply yourself or because you quit is a huge problem. That's a self-defeating behavior -- you sure don't want that to become your M.O..

What is self-defeating behavior? It's where you shoot yourself in the foot every time you get things going your way. You've known people who do that all the time. They start to create success, and then they systematically destroy that success, while spouting a string of excuses.

Not only that, most people are good at starting something new. But odds are, they won't finish. The exceptional person is the one who is good at finishing the things they start. I'm challenging you to be exceptional.

luniac

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Dec 7, 2012
brooklyn
i entered high school in the "regular" program. I hustled for teacher recommendations and got transferred to the Medical Science program with all gifted level classes... teachers seemed to care more too.

A friend of mine got sick badly in high school and missed almost a whole year, instead of having to stay in high school longer than normal, he dropped out and got his GED, now he makes 60k doing IT work.

It can work either way.

K465

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Feb 2, 2018
South Carolina
Unless you are certain you can pass the GED exams right now, I don't see any reason to drop out this late in the game. Your grades aren't all that important in high school - my brother was in your shoes grade-wise because he didn't care or try. I was the complete opposite, taking AP classes and getting an A/B average. Guess what, we both have the same advanced degree today. He took the scenic route and I took the interstate. We still ended up in the same place at the end of the day.

As for the GED, I thought it would be a joke of a test before I looked at the material to help my S.O. prepare and pass it... it could very well still take you time, effort, and studying to pass the 4 tests. And the longer you're away from the material the bigger that pain in the rear will be. There are some cheap sample tests on the GED website if you have a little cash to spare - it'll give you a general idea of whether you can pass as is or it would take some studying. Keep in mind the real test is far more involved than those sample questions though.

It's funny, you can't wait to get out of school and some days I wish I could just go back in time to when things were simpler.

You'll be fine either way.

LeoistheSun

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
152%
Oct 3, 2017
Honolulu
I dropped out. I did it to get an extra year- to get ahead. It wasn't because I couldn't make it through.

I thought I'd have 1 year ahead of everyone else.

I'm in the IT sector and I've yet to find an employer (to get that $$ to use on a biz) who cares about a GED. They dont.

You could probably go right into Cyber Security (if you're interested) with a certification or two and immediately make 50-60k starting.

jon.a

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Sep 29, 2012
Near San Diego
I dropped out. Because I was really smart but really lazy. So smart that when I went to the Navy recruiter and took the tests, he just handed me the book and said pick anything that you want.

I went on to get my GED, twice. I lost the paperwork the first time.
I did poorly in the Navy the first time. Then went back and did exceptionally well.
Later I went on to college for a business degree. That was hard without the high school prep.

Life is hard when you're young, smart and lazy.
I wasted a lot of years being young smart and lazy.

Two more months is nothing. Fix it. Do it right.

Last edited:

SanMateo

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
119%
Dec 9, 2013
Colorado
Dropping out shouldn't be an option. Asa many have expressed, high school is easy compared to what life has waiting for you. I know you're ready to burn the world down with your ambition but relax. In three months, you'll have your chance to prove the world wrong. Good luck.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Envision

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
779%
May 5, 2014
If you cant finish high school how can you finish anything else when you're in the real world? High school is so easy it's painful... and it keeps all the girls in one place so Im confused when people want to drop out by their own will. Doesnt make sense.

RobD88

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
249%
Nov 20, 2017
Missouri
No! You should not. You should take it seriously and make it a goal to do better. High school is easy compared to the real world. If you can't succeed there you'll have a hard time elsewhere.

AlexLegault

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
188%
Jun 6, 2017
Ontario, Canada
Watch this video.

"There's a difference between school and education."

TL;DW:

Finish high school for the sake of achievement. When you're done then you have to become GREAT at something that you can go and serve the marketplace with.

Start there.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-BIpawDGwD4

Last edited:

AFMKelvin

Some Profound Quote Goes Here
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
199%
Jan 26, 2016
Rice, Texas
Whats up fastlaners,

Recently I have been thinking of the decision on whether I should drop out of high school now and take the GED test (which is extremely easy), or to stick it out and try to get my teachers on my side.

As far as high school goes, my grades at the moment are half F's and the other half D's. Yes it is sh*t, I know. I have hated school ever since the beginning of 2017, I recognize the teachers don't know sh*t and they do not even want to be there. For most of them this was their last call in life for a chance at making a decent salary. So instead of listening to their ways I chose to study by myself and self-taught myself social intelligence (psychology) within the past year, and now I have been learning programming.

If I leave school, I already have a job and would keep going there full time while studying outside of work. I would work and save till the end of Summer and move to Southern California to audit in classes since I do not want the debt.

In order for me to have a shot at graduating I have to convince my teachers to give me a shot and then I have to kick myself into gear and do a semester of work before finals. This is the difficult route compared to me getting to take the easy route and pass the GED with no trouble.

I ask for your guys advice because after you all read the millionaire fastlane , I know you understand where my mentality is at.

What do you think is better? My WADM sheet told me the GED was. Please help out and thank you for taking the time to read.

Schools are indoctrination camps that are there to market for colleges. Literally, the only reason high school still exists is that that's the trampoline for college. They will drill you college 24/7.

If you have a few months of school left than grind it out and finish it.

But if you just have 2 years or more of high school left I say drop out and get your GED as soon as possible.

Make sure you get to work right away. No wasting time doing the typical teenage shit like playing video games or just hanging out with your buddies. You need to get to work. You'll need discipline for that. Discipline is actually easy to learn.

That means get a job so you can start saving money. At 16 any fast food place should hire you. Try finding a job where you get tips. That way you learn how to treat people right and make more money than a regular hourly wage.

Take an online course on money management. Also stay out of debt. I got into 10k of debt for the first time in my life and it been miserable since. I should pay it off this year but I know I won't ever do it again. Especially for something stupid like buying a new motorcycle. Save money and get yourself a beat up car.

The most important skill you can have on this planet is know how to use words both written and spoken. Take online classes, courses, community college, buy books do whatever you have to do to learn how to write perfectly. You won't learn how to write proficiently in high school. English/writing class is all fill in the blank nowadays.

Once you master the art of writing, begin to master the art of speaking. Learn how to speak efficiently. This is a little more complex than writing because there are more nuances to it. For example breath control, tone and rhythm. Watch a lot of comedy, comedians are the best speakers. Join a Toastmasters group or take voice lessons.

Don't let the script of "stay in school is for your own good" fool you into wasting years of your life. If you already know what you want to do go for it.

13X

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
57%
Aug 8, 2017
Serbia
What to say, i had good grades in one of the top high schools in my country ,scored 148 on mensa IQ test, everybody thought i was one of the more promising students,went to a good uni till i had to dropout to support my family ,my mental health got a lot worse and at this point im ashamed to be working, i think i could kill a person for 50$.
Imo diploma is pointless, use your time for more tangible results.

ZF Lee

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jul 27, 2016
Malaysia
upload_2018-4-2_19-30-51.png
Guys....what is with all these tags?

While I understand a bit of harshness is needed in dishing out advice, I believe that we may be toeing the redline here.

Schools are indoctrination camps that are there to market for colleges. Literally, the only reason high school still exists is that that's the trampoline for college. They will drill you college 24/7.
I would argue that indoctrination is what you make of it.

When I was in high school, I chose to omit the 'bad' and take in the 'good', which were things like taking initiative and responsibility. This involves critical thinking, an important tool even for Fastlane.

right.lol. bill gates drop out of school also...
Bill Gates dropped out from a very good university, Harvard, and scored excellently for his SAT. A 1590 out of 1600.

While you don't need to hit jackpot for high school exams, Bill did show he could put in the work.

Don't just look at 'dropping out' as a means for success. Look at the 'WHY' and 'WHAT' behind it, or the story behind the actions.

What to say, i had good grades in one of the top high schools in my country ,scored 148 on mensa IQ test, everybody thought i was one of the more promising students,went to a good uni till i had to dropout to support my family ,my mental health got a lot worse and at this point im ashamed to be working, i think i could kill a person for 50$.
Imo diploma is pointless, use your time for more tangible results.
@13X, why do you feel the need to kill a person?

What job are you working at? Is it that bad?

13X

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
57%
Aug 8, 2017
Serbia
What job are you working at? Is it that bad?[/QUOTE]

220$ shitjob(carrying stuff),feels pretty embarrassing,degrading.

AimForTheMoon

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
175%
Oct 2, 2012
New York
I echo what many have said on here.

My advice:
Anything is possible in this world; if you want it bad enough and work hard enough for it.
However, be wary that every action has a reaction, and could be good or bad.

Quitting one thing does give the sense that you might quit something else; but is by no means conclusive.
If you know what you want, go for it, and go at it as hard as you can - don't quit and don't look back (except to reflect and learn to be better). Be proud that you prove all those 'naysayers' wrong.
I LOVE doing that.

Always follow your intuition, it is never wrong.
Never stop learning every single day.

Dropping out of school will limit your options though, say you want at some point to not be an entrepreneur and you want to get a decent paying comfortable corporate job in 10 years. Lots of big corporations won't look at your resume if you don't at least have a four year college degree (even that is competitive). No matter how good of a talker/interviewer you are, you won't have a chance to get there.

My best advice is to hedge yourself. Get by in school while you preform ideation on your entrepreneurial goals. When you have your vision and plan in sight along with $$ saved to live; then make the jump. If that vision never materialized, then at least you have a fall back to land in a $250k career office job when your 30-40.

My grades sucked, I graduated high school 121/122 - I like to call it the top 99%. Whatever my grades were, I stayed in school, resisted dropping out of college several times, barely graduated and ended up on Wall St making 12/hr. Kept working my way up by working smart in the finance and tech world until I found my passion.

I am glad you are sticking with it. Keep at it!

If you do drop out of school, and fail entrepreneurship; I'll take a little extra caramel in my latte please.

GoodluckChuck

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
419%
Feb 2, 2017
my house
I would ask why?

Do you want to drop out and get your GED because it seems easier than graduating?

Or, are you chomping at the bit to get on with your life because you’re ready to handle it?

I graduated high school, but didn’t take it seriously. Looking back, it was the easiest time of my life, even though at one point I had all F’s and was deciding between being held back or graduating on time by sucking it up and doing the work.

Over a decade later and I see the opportunities missed. At that time of your life you have so much time to get quality experiences... Most of the time it’s paid for by someone else. Take advantage of that! The time will pass either way. Your experience will depend on your choices.

If I could do it over I would have tried harder, done more, and made more friends. You’ll realize these teachers you hold in such low esteem are just people like you, just a little older. Some of them probably dropped out and got their GED...

You must make this decision for yourself. Trust the advice of people that have been through this. You are young and your mind will change many times in the years to come.

My advice is to try your best to ge though the years with as little regret as possible. People sometimes regret things they have done, but they always regret things they didn’t do.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.