The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Shipping costs - How they do it?

ahl

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Nov 19, 2018
Hello folks,

I've been trying to push a niche e-commerce website but I believe my biggest pain point to make it happen has been shipping costs. I offer fresh cuban pastry (among other things) and target specific communities across the USs where cubans do not have easy access to them and, in my opinion, there is an opportunity.
The site hasn't take off despite some decent advertising spent and social media work.
I believe my biggest enemy are shipping costs. I am targeting only States that are adjacent to Florida where 2-Day shipping is standard for most companies, but to ship 5Lbs I need to pay around $9. As I am starting up, I get almost no discount from any shipper. To cope with it I need to shrink my margins to almost nothing to make my product somehow attractive.
How do others do it? How can other sellers deal with such high overhead? I am considering the idea of absorbing most of it and taking a loss in order to get volume and be in a better position to negotiate with the shippers but it hardly sounds like a good idea.

Has anyone being in a similar position and figured out how to dig yourself out of the hole?

Thanks in advance!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
D

DeletedUser0287

Offer free shipping for purchases over a certain amount. Cheaper to ship more together.

Sell in bulk only?

Roll in shipping costs with product and offer “free shipping”

1step

Gold Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
231%
Dec 4, 2012
Kentucky
Your shipping costs aren’t going to get much cheaper than $9. If youre going to make this business work you’ll need to find a pricing or bundling strategy to cover shipping in that range. Don’t try to “make it up in volume”

If you signup for shipstation you’ll get a discount on usps rates (over retail rates at least)

D

DeletedUser0287

Your shipping costs aren’t going to get much cheaper than $9. If youre going to make this business work you’ll need to find a pricing or bundling strategy to cover shipping in that range. Don’t try to “make it up in volume”

If you signup for shipstation you’ll get a discount on usps rates (over retail rates at least)

Maybe it just isn't a viable business then?

Or add more value around your cuban pastry so each order value will be higher?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.