The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

ROAS. Google ads Facebook ads What’s a good number right now.

BizyDad

Keep going. Keep growing.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
417%
Oct 7, 2019
Phoenix AZ
Wonder if you guys know this/hate it.....

I got a proposal from a direct mail company that says they put a tracking pixel on your site that can identify with e-mail/snail mail address and name of 40% of the visitors to a site.
Then they send a postcard and tie that into digital and e-mail.
Costs about .15 a contact for the date 600 a month minimum. Postcards are 1. Digital spends on traffic.

right now we're getting about 1-3% opt in for emails.

so that's a big jump for us. We're going to go for it if anyone need the info LMk

Tried it twice for higher end real estate sites. Not worth the spend. This was 3, maybe 4, yrs ago. Got a fair bit of returned mail (not an egregious amount but more than we wanted).

The emails included real estate agents who then complained about spam which ultimately spooked the client into stopping the practice. Tough to filter out personal gmails of RE agents. Only ran 3 months, I think we spent $4500 ish, and 0 sales generated from it, no "solid leads" even, but it is high end real estate, so... Idk, it was an idea I thought would work, but maybe our messaging was off.

Funny thing was the error rate where a person's name was reversed (the list had an obvious first name in the last name field and vice versa). I assume databases have improved.

I've always been curious how it would work for other industries but most of my clients either don't have the budget, or don't want to be borderline spammy, or just don't believe in snail mail. Keep us posted?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Wonder if you guys know this/hate it.....

I got a proposal from a direct mail company that says they put a tracking pixel on your site that can identify with e-mail/snail mail address and name of 40% of the visitors to a site.
Then they send a postcard and tie that into digital and e-mail.
Costs about .15 a contact for the date 600 a month minimum. Postcards are 1. Digital spends on traffic.

right now we're getting about 1-3% opt in for emails.

so that's a big jump for us. We're going to go for it if anyone need the info LMk
Reverse IP lookups? We’ve used Visitor Queue for that.

David Fitz

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
216%
Jan 30, 2020
Ireland
I love Klaviyo too but even that is being affected by the new iOS updates. I don't think you can track open rates, click's or sales anymore if it's on iphone. This seems to be the way things are going for all platforms.

JohnD Realestate

New to Online retail
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
166%
Dec 23, 2017
Chappaqua
Tried it twice for higher end real estate sites. Not worth the spend. This was 3, maybe 4, yrs ago. Got a fair bit of returned mail (not an egregious amount but more than we wanted).

The emails included real estate agents who then complained about spam which ultimately spooked the client into stopping the practice. Tough to filter out personal gmails of RE agents. Only ran 3 months, I think we spent $4500 ish, and 0 sales generated from it, no "solid leads" even, but it is high end real estate, so... Idk, it was an idea I thought would work, but maybe our messaging was off.

Funny thing was the error rate where a person's name was reversed (the list had an obvious first name in the last name field and vice versa). I assume databases have improved.

I've always been curious how it would work for other industries but most of my clients either don't have the budget, or don't want to be borderline spammy, or just don't believe in snail mail. Keep us posted?
Will do. Going with io/direct

JohnD Realestate

New to Online retail
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
166%
Dec 23, 2017
Chappaqua
I love Klaviyo too but even that is being affected by the new iOS updates. I don't think you can track open rates, click's or sales anymore if it's on iphone. This seems to be the way things are going for all platforms.
We’ve had some success lately with klaviyo when we integrated it with “segments by trestl” we fed the emails into the trestl platform and it told when to hit the customers up.

BizyDad

Keep going. Keep growing.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
417%
Oct 7, 2019
Phoenix AZ

JohnD Realestate

New to Online retail
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
166%
Dec 23, 2017
Chappaqua

OverByte

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
141%
May 18, 2014
Canada
Go into your Pixel settings, scroll down to "Choose a Partner" ... look at the bottom left... BAM.

This just came out so it'll take a little while to get things dialed in for them, but it makes sense to start setting it up now and playing with it.

But they purposefully created this in partnership to handle Apple's goofy new rules. I wouldn't be surprised if Google and YouTube start working directly with Facebook and Instagram soon (this seems to be their test).

View attachment 40190

The gtag integration just means that certain tag events (like purchase) can be automatically sent to facebook via the conversion API. It's an alternative means of configuring the conversion API and doesn't provide more information to facebook than a standard conversion API configuration would (for instance if you're using the built-in shopify integration).

This does not mean that google is sharing additional information to facebook (like for instance google search query used to visit site, multiple session data based on google profile, etc).

I wanted to clarify this as if you are already using FB conversion API enabling this may actually cause issues if events aren't being de-dupped properly.

This also has been around for a while and was not introduced post iOS 14.5. It may have only recently been added from the facebook pixel manager screen but I think you could set this up previously through tag manager UI.

As others mentioned UTM params should be used for tracking but these also have substantial limitations (like if someone sees an ad on fb but clicks the profile and then the website link from profile you'll have no idea they came from that ad). People view an ad and then google you, people viewing your ad from work device and later buying from personal device, etc. Attribution in general is a very difficult problem and it has nothing to do with limitations on 3rd party cookies or access to device identifiers (iOS 14.5 changes). Tracking was just as bad pre-iOS 14.5. But as others mentioned, companies will use anything as an excuse for lack of performance.

A little bit of air clearing from a software engineer on iOS 14.5 since I see a lot of confusion (in ppc/marketing forums) about what this actually means for tracking:

The iOS privacy updates is an issue for cross-site/app tracking. This is actually explicitly described even in the tracking prompt but FB changed the conversation to Apple is hurting business (it's really just hurting their partner ad network and data collection). It really shouldn't affect much with regards to first-party tracking. There's a ton of misinformation about this. In an effort to clear some of that up I'll decipher some of the apple developer docs:

1 - On what that new tracking prompt actually means:

* Apple Developer Documentation - App Tracking Transparency Framework
* User Privacy and Data Use - App Store - Apple Developer

"While you can display the AppTrackingTransparency prompt whenever you choose, the device’s advertising identifier value will only be returned once you present the prompt and the user grants permission."

This means that the prompt just limits access to the device identifier - previously facebook (and other companies) would use this identifier to provide information about users who installed apps (which included their SDKs). So FB would know that you installed clash of clans + some other game + etc, because the same device id was used when registering the Facebook SDK. This was hugely valueable to their ad network as well as compiling information about users. It has no bearing on tracking of click events from ads to your e-commerce site.

2 - And private click measurement:

Private click measurement is more confusing but again has to do with how information is shared between apps and browsers on iOS. It doesn't limit the facebook app from knowing that 'overbyte' was signed into their facebook account and clicked ad xyz. Apple has no control over that. Furthermore if you open a webpage in the facebook app and it opens inside Safari View Controller (embedded web viewer) facebook passes the fbclid which will later be resent in pixel events (ie http requests to fb.com) so it knows what the user making the events came from.

Hopefully that helps reduce some fear around these privacy changes and also remove the cop out of iOS 14 for declining ad performance. Likely declining ad performance is due to the flood of retailers continually piling into e-commerce and competing for ad space.

I've seen a lot of blog posts / news releases that have run with the 'tracking is over due to iOS changes' narrative (without explaining or investigating why), these misinformed sources were then cited by others and rinse and repeat... Real information on tech changes are found in the dev docs not news releases.

Last edited:

OverByte

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
141%
May 18, 2014
Canada
You can track everything but the open rates may look inflated since open rates are tracked by the images loading which used to happen on open and is now being prefetched when it hits the inbox. Shouldn’t affect clicks or purchase data. Klaviyo sent an email describing the change.

JohnD Realestate

New to Online retail
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
166%
Dec 23, 2017
Chappaqua
Very interested to hear how well this works and the match rate it can get.
Thanks for the information above!
We are planning to use the data service not the print.
We were able to find a printer to do postcard for .70 each on partially recycled paper...

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.