The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Ready to switch lanes

pumpking

powered by coffee
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
115%
Sep 14, 2019
Boston, Massachusetts
Hi all,

Long term slow-lane traveler checking in- I work in computer graphics (15+ years) and hold a middle manager position in a profitable company- needless to say here, that I'm more or less earning enough to stay afloat and not too happy about it (especially as I'm turning 40 this year). Also tired of making other people rich. Being my own business owner is something I've thought about on and off for the last 5 years although I've never really felt very confident or sure of how to make this a reality. Reading the fastlane book was both a wake-up call and empowering. Reading through it made me aware of my slowlane mentality... time to stop.

I feel somewhat stuck however as I want to leverage what I know best. But creating graphics is more or less a service industry and I'm still struggling to find a way to turn my subject matter expertise into a scalable business that's separated from the time effort I would need to put in. The closest I've come is thinking up with some hypothetical business models where I leverage offshore teams to create work for clients- but even that would require a large time investment in checking for quality and wrangling client expectations. There are SaaS businesses in my field but I'm not an engineer. There are also digital asset market places but that market is sort of crowded already (and would require a large upfront time investment to realize). I'm close to just calling it quits on the field entirely.

Instead I'm looking to see how I can get involved in some other fast lane endeavor in a different field. My wife is an artist and we're looking to create some sort of Shopify store for her work- printing onto apparel, etc, but mostly as a vehicle to give myself an education in marketing and SEO. Maybe if we market it correctly we'll pull in a few hundred or a low thousand figure each month. The search for my true wealth vehicle remains a task for me- at this point it will probably be the purchase of an existing online business.

I'm here to learn as much as I can and use the community as a sounding board. Thanks for having me.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Rabby

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
319%
Aug 26, 2018
Florida
Welcome! Keep in mind you don't have to sell your skill to use your skill. And you don't have to abandon it and start over. I used to be a freelance copywriter, and I'm not terrible at illustration. Guess what kind of products I made? Neither of those things, but I did use the skills in parts of my products, and for marketing.

Think of it like this: you've got your technical skills, and then you've got your business skills. You need to build up the business skills to make money on your own, without an employer. Fortunately, they come pretty quickly once you realize what they are. Here are some of those skills:
  • Listening to the market to identify problems (and think up solutions)
  • Talking to almost everyone, networking
  • Sales
  • Marketing
  • Testing your ideas against reality
Looking forward to your progress :)

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Welcome my friend, appreciate the intro.

pumpking