The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Quitting my corporate 9 to 5 at age 23. I have a long way to go, but never been more excited

mattn

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
300%
Jun 9, 2021
Hey all,
I’m a 23-year-old from a small town in MN. I read TMF about 3-4 years ago, and then unscripted not too much later. I’m currently working a stereotypical job as a software developer at a big insurance company—jeans on Friday, an ocean of cubicles, the annoying phone receptionist repeating the same greeting to customers like a broken record, praises to the weekend (“Hang in there, it’s almost Friday!”), elaborate paintings of the company chairmen, and a miserable (comfortable) blanket of “it’s not that bad”. I feel like I’m in the movie Office Space or something… Hell, a coworker even threw a paper airplane at my back on my first day in the cubicles.

Anyways, after about 7 months of this, I’ve decided that I don’t ever want to be a part of the company’s exclusive “Quarter Century Club”. I’ve saved enough money to execute a plan that’s been in the works for quite some time. I’m quitting my job, moving to Phoenix with my girlfriend on August 12, and focusing 100% on a software company I’ve been working on in my free time for the past year. I’ll have options for part-time work through some connections later in the fall to sustain myself if need be. My girlfriend is starting a business of her own as well.

I’ve had a taste of what I want the near future to look like—walking in the heat, lifting weights, eating clean, coding, and growing closer to those who understand what myself and so many others on the forum are trying to do. As much as I want to be wealthy, I’m just excited that I’m going to be solving my own problems for what they’re worth and not some company’s at a discount. I can’t wait to post all the “script-speak” I’ve heard at my job as well as posting updates on my successes/failures in my businesses. Best of luck to all of you, and I hope to get to know you guys along the way!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Metz

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
169%
Apr 12, 2019
NW Washington
Congratulations on plunging into this adventure, dude! I remember when I finally made enough money to start working on my own instead of continuing the corporate grind right around your age too. I actually went to school out in Minnesota and decided to get a fresh start and moved out to Washington state. Like you, started my own company (though I'm software-adjacent.. I work with a lot of tech people but writing content to help create sales funnels for them to get potential clients as well as helping them document software manuals for their clients), started finding others to network and mutually grow with.. starting out's got a lot of ups and downs (I've been in a slump since 2018 but started really pulling out of it by the end of last year) but it's well worth it.

But yeah, enjoy the start of your new life, bud. I wish you all the best with your endeavors and that you keep at it, no matter the obstacles.

mattn

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
300%
Jun 9, 2021
Congratulations on plunging into this adventure, dude! I remember when I finally made enough money to start working on my own instead of continuing the corporate grind right around your age too. I actually went to school out in Minnesota and decided to get a fresh start and moved out to Washington state. Like you, started my own company (though I'm software-adjacent.. I work with a lot of tech people but writing content to help create sales funnels for them to get potential clients as well as helping them document software manuals for their clients), started finding others to network and mutually grow with.. starting out's got a lot of ups and downs (I've been in a slump since 2018 but started really pulling out of it by the end of last year) but it's well worth it.

But yeah, enjoy the start of your new life, bud. I wish you all the best with your endeavors and that you keep at it, no matter the obstacles.
Thanks for the kind words! That’s amazing that you went out on your own. I hope you’re killing it man!

Redcable

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
125%
Jun 5, 2021
Hey all,
I’m a 23-year-old from a small town in MN. I read TMF about 3-4 years ago, and then unscripted not too much later. I’m currently working a stereotypical job as a software developer at a big insurance company—jeans on Friday, an ocean of cubicles, the annoying phone receptionist repeating the same greeting to customers like a broken record, praises to the weekend (“Hang in there, it’s almost Friday!”), elaborate paintings of the company chairmen, and a miserable (comfortable) blanket of “it’s not that bad”. I feel like I’m in the movie Office Space or something… Hell, a coworker even threw a paper airplane at my back on my first day in the cubicles.

Anyways, after about 7 months of this, I’ve decided that I don’t ever want to be a part of the company’s exclusive “Quarter Century Club”. I’ve saved enough money to execute a plan that’s been in the works for quite some time. I’m quitting my job, moving to Phoenix with my girlfriend on August 12, and focusing 100% on a software company I’ve been working on in my free time for the past year. I’ll have options for part-time work through some connections later in the fall to sustain myself if need be. My girlfriend is starting a business of her own as well.

I’ve had a taste of what I want the near future to look like—walking in the heat, lifting weights, eating clean, coding, and growing closer to those who understand what myself and so many others on the forum are trying to do. As much as I want to be wealthy, I’m just excited that I’m going to be solving my own problems for what they’re worth and not some company’s at a discount. I can’t wait to post all the “script-speak” I’ve heard at my job as well as posting updates on my successes/failures in my businesses. Best of luck to all of you, and I hope to get to know you guys along the way!
Hey Mattn, This is Redcable. I also left my 9-5 technician job and it felt great! I wake up everyday learning and working towards my exit strategy which is to sell my business for a big pay day! Keep Posting! The FASTLANE Forever!

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Hey all,

Holy shit, sounds just like my story, less the GF, and less than software biz in the works. And you're moving to AZ in August? Holy heat -- hope you're ready for some serious culture shock.

daniels97

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
109%
Mar 13, 2021
Brno, Czech republic
Hey all,

Hey man! Wishing you all the luck during your journey! Im also 23 college stud who is trying to make it so I know what its like. Keep updating us here.

MaxKhalus

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
119%
Jun 7, 2018
Spain
Hey all,

Protect that excitement man, cause you're gonna need it. The trick not to miss it is to move fast.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...