The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Need some feedback on this idea.

Idea threads

JasonR

Maverick
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
544%
May 29, 2012
Las Vegas
I'm going to try to keep this short a possible. I had this idea with a parter out of college, started working on it, dropped 15k, ended up splitting up with my partner and we divided the company. I ran out of money, and wasn't able to find a way to make the product, and never started marketing it. I got into debt, was forced to find a job, and went to work.

So here I am several years later, seriously thinking about completing the project if I can figure out the problems and get it to market. I know there is some competition, but there always will be. I don't think of this idea as the end goal of where I want to be, but rather a segway into the market. If I can gain some traction with this idea, I could use it to push other sites and products in the same arena.

The idea should be clear. The software, for the most part, for creating these is all automated. Check it for yourself. For some reason, there seems to be a bug in Chrome (the software was created a couple of years ago, I will obviously need to fix this).

Some of the pages are rough, and can certainly be optimized. The copy isn't obviously written out, Still, it should be clear what the product is.

The Product:
Pet Driver License Tags for Dogs & Cats

Product Ordering Page:
Pet Id Me - Add Pet (click on one of the available states)

Other products:
PetIDMe - Novelty Driver License Pet ID Tags for Cats & Dogs

Problems:
I need to get the rest of the site coded (ex. the rest of the states). It's 100% custom software. I have all of the state templates ready to go. The coordinates/state data all exist in XML files. I would obviously bust my a$$ to fill out the states, but I need some help figuring out to do so.

Manufacturing. I thought this product would be super simple to manufacture, but I couldn't find anyone that could do the dog tags for me. Obviously, the tags are printed and then inserted into the laminate, die cut, and then punched. Ideally, product could be outsourced to a printer - but I haven't been able to find anyone that can do it, or a way to do it myself efficiently. The other products are less of an issue.

Obviously, there are a lot of kinks to work out, and this project is a little old. I feel foolish for dropping it now. Any feedback is welcome.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Any feedback is welcome.

Yea, this is an utter waste of time. You should just sell some old clothes on eBay.
;)

On a serious note, it's amazing what 1 year can do. I wasn't even aware this was a thread on here.

I think it is interesting to note your language that you used in this thread. You can see the doubt. The reservations. The hesitation.

So cool that you fought through all that and carried forward.

Enki

on-ramp
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
291%
Jun 18, 2013
Cleveland, Oh USA
. I wasn't even aware this was a thread on here.

I found this a while back. There were zero likes on OP post. In hindsight if he would have gotten feedback, how different would the results have been?

NickT41

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
113%
Dec 4, 2013
I saw a random friend share a link to this website on Facebook a few weeks ago. It generated a ton of likes and comments. I had no idea it was a fastlaner. Rep+

Edit: I remember it because I remember thinking... I wonder what type of person started this company? Could it be a hobby? Full-time job? What kind of income can generate from this? Now I know.

MitchC

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
288%
Mar 8, 2014
Australia

SGBoise

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
65%
Jan 21, 2014
This is a very cool idea. I love the color scheme of the web site. Looks professional.

You shouldn't worry about outsourcing manufacturing yet. Plus remember if you make in USA then put a big sticker on the banner with "Made in USA".

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
343%
May 21, 2011
Few thoughts:

1. The plastic and keychain look a bit dated.. Might want to rethink that.
2. Who is your target market? It has potential but again, go back to number 1.. If you can make it a bit more cute and appealing to women then it could be a big seller.

Goodluck

NickT41

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
113%
Dec 4, 2013
FYI, this threads 14 months old and I'm pretty sure @JasonR has been incredibly successful with it.

Edit: it just dawned on me that you are probably joking. Sorry, I'm a little slow.

Last edited:

tafy

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Aug 21, 2013
UK
Great idea! So this was the product that got you into the fastlane? Now I see how facebook advertising took this so far because its a product that probably would have done badly on adwords, ebay etc.

JasonR

Maverick
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
544%
May 29, 2012
Las Vegas
FYI, this threads 14 months old and I'm pretty sure @JasonR has been incredibly successful with it.
Edit: it just dawned on me that you are probably joking. Sorry, I'm a little slow.

Sorry guys - got a bunch of alerts when I was at an Ad:Tech party in San Francisco. Traveling all over the place this week (Sac, SF, now Dallas this weekend).

Yes, the original post faded into obscurity. I tried to delete it maybe 6 months back, but alas the forum doesn't have a delete button that old. ;)

Yes, the business is going incredibly well. I haven't been putting nearly as much work into in the past few days, but its making more money. Go figure! That is what happens when you build a system, and you don't trade your hours for dollars.

I'm working on the next iteration of the funnel, but it's all top secret.

Yes, there have been uphill battles and completely sleepness nights.

I've come a long way, but have much farther to go. It's an incredible ride, with extreme highs and extreme lows. Read my posts on here - I'm not shy about it.

Gotta catch a flight. I'll update this later. ;)

jpa0827

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
178%
Feb 13, 2013
Cleveland, Ohio
For a second there I was confused. I thought that was the current biz. Good thing you stuck with it and threw the printer off the balcony. Still one of my favorite stories!

randomnumber314

speed of a drunk camel
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
227%
Jan 7, 2014
Minnesoooota,USA
Few thoughts:

1. The plastic and keychain look a bit dated.. Might want to rethink that.
2. Who is your target market? It has potential but again, go back to number 1.. If you can make it a bit more cute and appealing to women then it could be a big seller.

Goodluck

Just an FYI the original post in this thread was Jan 19, 2013. This company was on track to do $1m last year. Advice is always appreciated, but it's more valuable when you read all the posts.

Last edited by a moderator:

MattCour

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
128%
Aug 17, 2012
NY
Congrats bro, keep crushing it! I love the dog and cat memes on your FB page, I couldn't stop flipping through them( dog lover :rockon:)

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.