The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success

GOLD! Moved to Scottsdale, Growing a Web Design Firm

MJ DeMarco

Administrator
Staff member
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Millionaire Fastlane
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Jul 23, 2007
Fountain Hills, AZ
getUnscripted.com
and was wondering the best way to respond back to this
I'd focus on the variety of what entails "SEO" -- it's all over the map.

For instance, many SEO firms are located in countries where wages and rates are different.
Many SEO firms outsource using talent in lower-wage countries.
Many SEO firms have a variety of different talent, processes, and expertise.

Obviously the price for your expertise and the price for an outsourced SEO guy in Vietnam will be different.

Become a Fastlane INSIDER to view the forum ad free.

GuitarManDan

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Feb 28, 2017
Scottsdale

For instance, many SEO firms are located in countries where wages and rates are different.

Obviously the price for your expertise and the price for an outsourced SEO guy in Vietnam will be different.
Thanks MJ - agreed, that's a good approach to take. SEO is a very generic term and I will frame so that I originally pitched 45 hours a month in order to really deliver the best for them but understand if they want to scale back a bit and only do 30 hours per month for 2 months instead to get this taken care of.

$3k per month for the next two months would be a nice win (especially since I built the site so no learning curve how it's set up).

I can also frame it like others may outsource the SEO to other team members or those internationally.. they know I will be handling all of the work for this project and that they will get the level of quality they've grown accustomed to working with me.

GuitarManDan

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Feb 28, 2017
Scottsdale

Just a quick update, this is the email I ended up sending after giving it some thought.. I think this gives me a great shot and if it goes through a $6k payout over the course of the next two months would be fantastic as I work on growing the recurring revenue aspect of things.

I may still get some pushback or objections from the initial offer and why it was 2x the price of other quotes, but I'd much rather err on the side of charging a higher rate than undercharging for my services. Additionally, like you mentioned SEO is so generic there are a lot of different ways I can explain it. I'll keep everyone posted.

-------

Hey (Name),

Thanks for following up here, it's really been a pleasure working with you all as well so of course I'd be more than happy to be flexible with this proposal to work with your suggested monthly plan.

The reason I prefer breaking down the monthly SEO work for situations like this on an hourly basis is so I can be fully transparent and provide detailed summaries to show you exactly what services were completed (and how long they took).

We could definitely scale the hours/timing back for the SEO work so that it would be a breakdown of 30 hours each for the first 2 months and then after that just the basic reporting for around 2 hours per month and I'm confident we'd still get great results with the SEO campaign with that updated schedule.

Please reach out if you have any questions at all!

Thanks,
Dan

GuitarManDan

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Feb 28, 2017
Scottsdale
Hey All,

Quick update, my first SEO client is still really happy and she's gotten some great results so she went ahead (paying month to month) and paid for the next month's worth of work - adding in the additional $500 for tracking purposes.

On another quick note, the big travel site went live so should be collecting the roughly $1900 for that soon too (still have to make a few tweaks):

2019 Revenue Tracker: $20,785 Revenue / $100,000 Goal

Monthly Recurring Revenue: $2,000 Per Month / $10,000 Per Month Goal

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Jul 24, 2007
late June / July / August you can't be outdoors during daylight, but as soon as sun is down, the temps are bearable.
I agree that it is hot. But, I spend my life outdoors. Even through the summer months. Still run, golf, hike, work, etc. right out in the sun. Just wear a good hat.
***edit- looks like I answered this already in this thread quite some time back. Oops.

Last edited:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Monthly conference calls with doers
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

Top Bottom