The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

[Master Thread] Selling Courses

Threads with an onging chat or conversation

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Here's a thread to chat about selling courses.

I'll keep this opening post up to date with links to progress threads and other related threads.

Please reply and tag me if there's any I've missed or if there's any new ones. I'll add them to this opening post.

# People who know a bit about selling courses:

# Progress/related threads:

@Bekit ... You mentioned you'd worked for a company selling courses and had a lot of nuggets you could brain dump. Would love to hear them.

@Lex DeVille ... can you link to your Udemy progress thread and I'll add it to the list?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

Bekit

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
492%
Aug 13, 2018
I want to come back to this and list some of my thoughts and experiences on the topic.

Looking for other threads, unfortunately, the forum omits the word "course" from search results, so that's no fun. However, I found these threads by searching forum tags (courses, online courses, online course, online education, digital products). There are more threads than this, but I omitted ones that fizzled out after a few posts. These are listed in no particular order.

Looking For A Course On How To Market/Sell An Online Course...Is This The Right Thread?
Started Feb 2020. Some substantive replies here.

Advice Wanted - Releasing My Online Course
Started Jun 2019.

I've Designed An Innovative Rhythm Guitar Course Which Solves A Problem, But It Doesn't Sell As I Expected
Started May 2020 - two pages of interesting feedback from forum members

Made $10,000 But Just Starting Out (My Humble Beginnings)
Started Oct 2018.

Feedback Needed For Online Course's Ad And Landing Page
Started Jan 2019 by the same user as the "Made $10,000" link above. Lots of "behind the curtain" screenshots that might help others who are developing ads and landing pages for an online course.

From Academia To Fastlania: Second Act In My Life
Started Oct 2018. Intro post with long story that includes chemistry courses. Unclear if course ever sold.

Journey To $1K/Day Selling Info Products
Started Aug 2018. Some screenshots of income are shared.

Creating Online Courses
Started Apr 2017. Some good steps shared here that are still relevant.

Lex DeVille's Freelance Course Progress
Started Apr 2019. 12 pages of updates.

The Business Of Selling Courses
Started Mar 2018. Thread is about a course for a niche in the programming industry.

Pre-Sell Your Course Earlier Rather Than Later
Started Aug 2017. This is a very solid point about pre-selling.

AndyTalks With Paloma About Creating Courses & Demystifying AdWords
Started Mar 2017. Not a lot of replies on the thread, but the recording in the initial post has a lot of good info on how Andy created his first course.

Cameraman

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
206%
Sep 25, 2021
UK
Can anyone recommend a good platform for hosting courses for sale?

I currently have Teachable school which is a subdomain of my website. Yesterday I received an email about feature changes. I'm now limited to having a maximum of 5 live courses (I currently have 10). If I want to be able to publish unlimited courses again, I need to upgrade my plan. I currently pay $399 per year but the upgrade would be $1,188 per year.

Whilst I like teachable, I'm sure there is better value on the market. I also don't like being treated in this way.

The most important feature of Teachable for me is that teachable deducts and pays all digital taxes in all locations. The only other service I know that does this is Paddle, but they are about selling downloads and not hosting an online school.

Thanks

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Can anyone recommend a good platform for hosting courses for sale?

I currently have Teachable school which is a subdomain of my website. Yesterday I received an email about feature changes. I'm now limited to having a maximum of 5 live courses (I currently have 10). If I want to be able to publish unlimited courses again, I need to upgrade my plan. I currently pay $399 per year but the upgrade would be $1,188 per year.

Whilst I like teachable, I'm sure there is better value on the market. I also don't like being treated in this way.

The most important feature of Teachable for me is that teachable deducts and pays all digital taxes in all locations. The only other service I know that does this is Paddle, but they are about selling downloads and not hosting an online school.

Thanks
New Zenler. I'll do a screenshare if you want. Not sure about the tax thing.

Ocean Man

Life-long learner.
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
222%
Sep 26, 2018
United States
Thanks for putting this thread together, Andy. Appreciate it and the value other members have provided with their threads.

Cameraman

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
206%
Sep 25, 2021
UK
New Zenler. I'll do a screenshare if you want. Not sure about the tax thing.
Thanks Andy, their website looks interesting. I assume you are using them at the moment for your courses which is reassuring. I appreciate your help.

The tax thing is a big one for me, but I will drop them a query to find out more.

I may need to change my approach to selling courses and switch to digital downloads. The reason I stopped doing that originally is I found my courses were being pirated. Switching to an online school model seemed to cut this but I'm not sure my customers like it as much.

Cameraman

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
206%
Sep 25, 2021
UK
Not sure about the tax thing.
I just found the answer in their support documentation and video (Tax).

Looks like they will do what I need in the EU at least. You can set up the system to have them collect and file the digital taxes on your behalf. But when it comes to the US, Canada and Australia (my other main markets) it's down to me.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
@Cameraman ... happy to hop on a call and show you the backend and how I'm using New Zenler and thinking of using it.

Walter Hay

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
401%
Sep 13, 2014
World citizen
To add to the chat, here's why I don't sell courses.

1. My books are comprehensive and complete, so what more would a course provide?
2. If a person can't or won't read a small book, will they pay attention when being spoon fed?
3. I have had the experience of people buying one or more of my books, and totally failing to follow the simplest instructions. Should I hold their hands all the way?
4. I have a testimonial from one of my book buyers who referred to it as "the Rosetta Stone of Importing." For those who don't know, the Rosetta Stone was an archeological discovery that enabled linguists to interpret ancient Egyptian language. My book buyer had read carefully, absorbed the details, and proceeded to build a substantial business.
5. Why hasn't MJ started selling a course?
6. I provide unlimited support to my book readers, so could that constitute a course???
7. I am not poverty stricken, so I don't feel the need to build and sell a course.

Walter

CybersecSteve

New Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
188%
Oct 27, 2021

1. My books are comprehensive and complete, so what more would a course provide?
2. If a person can't or won't read a small book, will they pay attention when being spoon fed?
3. I have had the experience of people buying one or more of my books, and totally failing to follow the simplest instructions. Should I hold their hands all the way?
4. I have a testimonial from one of my book buyers who referred to it as "the Rosetta Stone of Importing." For those who don't know, the Rosetta Stone was an archeological discovery that enabled linguists to interpret ancient Egyptian language. My book buyer had read carefully, absorbed the details, and proceeded to build a substantial business.
6. I provide unlimited support to my book readers, so could that constitute a course???
7. I am not poverty stricken, so I don't feel the need to build and sell a course.

Walter
Good points and I could see why this would work however scenario dependant.

Going through points 1 - 5:

A course can provide additional areas users are able to learn by; not everyone works best simply reading a book. E.g. a course can expand audience to users who prefer visual based learning. Videos can be more efficient. Videos can compliment a book well by providing practical demonstrations for users to watch and follow. There's many more but in short in scenarios such as mine; cybersecurity courses, I don't think one replaces the other, combined they contribute great benefit to learning experience and broadening audience.

Yes users may pay more attention being 'spoon fed' a course. The visual course could be their preference to learning, and also help establish foundation where they then may choose to dig into the book to help fill gaps. This is going to help the course provide value and possibly assist returning customers.

Not necessarily hold their hands all the way however if the additional time would make sense to ROI and returning customers then I don't see why not. If multiple users are not following simple instructions maybe this may be something that can be improved in the course itself? Certain tweaking could help understand where users are going wrong. E.g adding additional methods than just a book. Ofcourse, understandably you'll most likely always get some users that deviate from intended route.

Thats awesome to get that result but as before not everyone learns the same. Maybe you can get more of these results from increased number of customers by allowing users to choose their preference in regards to route for learning.

I don't know but who's to say it wouldn't do well if he did? In addition to previous points, online courses also allow you to be on additional platforms to help reach new potential audiences. Now don't slam me for comparing Andrew Tate and MJ, but Andrew Tate has super similar principles to MJ (in my opinion) in regards to slave mindset, fastlane, building your own business, escaping from the common route they try embed into each of us within society from a young age. His course does extremely well. He gets much of his viewers from this 'escape the matrix' mindset (another thing similar to MJ!)

I personally believe MJ could have got in before Tate and gained a whole lot more audience (obviously this may not have been MJs desire as he's already doing amazing), it feels like Tate has actually learned from MJ (maybe he hasn't and I have no evidence of that but it certainly wouldn't surprise me).

I won't go on further however as courses are a big goal of mine in the near future I thought I'd throw some differing opinions as maybe mine can be improved as I do not have that most important thing of all; practical experience whereas I can see you and others do :)

Last edited:

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Thanks for your input @Walter Hay. I'll add my thoughts below if I may.

I've not written a book, but I think online courses are easier to update and add to. I'm onto the 3rd incarnation of my Google Ads course and have to update it shortly because Google keeps changing the Google Ads interface ... and keeps bringing out different types of ads.

Sometimes video versions of lessons can help, especially where it's demonstrating something. Other times, people seeing you talk through something brings it to life in ways words can't.

I'm talking about a pre-recorded course, and some people don't pay attention to those either. Some people might pay more attention if there's video and/or audio to accompany text though.

I've had people fail to follow basic instructions in my video courses too. I don't hold their hands. It's up to them to follow the instructions in the course or not. (Again, I'm talking about a pre-recorded course, not an in-person or online class.)

Awesome! Great feedback. I wonder if it being in a different format *as well* would help even more people?

I've no idea. @MJ DeMarco ... you've books, free videos on YouTube, and the forum. Have you ever considered selling a course?

I don't think that's necessarily a course. A lot of online courses don't have any kind of support.

Cool. I don't either. It's like a little paid hobby/side-business of mine at the moment.

Cameraman

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
206%
Sep 25, 2021
UK
@Walter Hay the points you raise seem to treat book and course publishing as mutually exclusive activities.

I publish video-based courses to provide my customers with a choice and the best possible learning experience. I am predominantly an author of books but supplement these with courses and YouTube videos. Many of my books contain links to demonstrations on YouTube where a description of an activity is never enough. With other books, you might receive a discount for a course or in some cases, free course access. My customers love this.

There are other benefits to this approach as well as the customer experience.

My YouTube videos get a boost in watch time from people who buy my books as well as being shared more and earning me new subscribers. I've even seen this kick YouTube into gear to begin promoting my videos to new people. People then discover me through my YouTube channel, often subscribing to my website and buying my books and courses. Having these areas working together is more valuable than pursuing them in isolation.

I'm sure that you will be relieved to know that I'm not "poverty stricken" either.

Walter Hay

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
401%
Sep 13, 2014
World citizen
I'm sure that you will be relieved to know that I'm not "poverty stricken" eithe
Sorry about that. It was just a way of saying that I don't want to make the effort.

I can see the benefits of using YouTube videos, but I am stuck with doing what I am used to such as answering questions on the forum.

I know from the number of my book buyers who keenly await the publication of each annual review, that they are the kind of people who prefer to learn by reading, and book sales keep rolling in so I will continue to cater to and help that sector.

Walter

Walter Hay

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
401%
Sep 13, 2014
World citizen
Awesome! Great feedback. I wonder if it being in a different format *as well* would help even more people?

Thanks @AndyBlack. It probably would but really it boils down to my old age making me less willing to learn things such as having a YouTube video made. My remote location doesn't help, because of very poor internet and telephone reception.

Walter

Cameraman

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
206%
Sep 25, 2021
UK
I know from the number of my book buyers who keenly await the publication of each annual review, that they are the kind of people who prefer to learn by reading, and book sales keep rolling in so I will continue to cater to and help that sector.
I agree. I think that some subjects translate well into video but with others, it doesn't add anything. You may well be in a niche where the written word is the best way to convey the message to most people.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland

Black_Dragon43

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
332%
Apr 28, 2017
‍☠️ Eastern Europe
You can add me to the list as well @Andy Black - I have a 43-hour long video training with 55 templates, guides, resources, and workflows spread over 10-weeks for agency owners, but I don’t sell it separately from my coaching and accountability!

NeoDialectic

Successfully Exited the Rat Race
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
686%
Feb 11, 2022
Phoenix, az
Here's a thread to chat about selling courses.

I'll keep this opening post up to date with links to progress threads and other related threads.

Please reply and tag me if there's any I've missed or if there's any new ones. I'll add them to this opening post.

# People who know a bit about selling courses:

# Progress/related threads:

@Bekit ... You mentioned you'd worked for a company selling courses and had a lot of nuggets you could brain dump. Would love to hear them.

@Lex DeVille ... can you link to your Udemy progress thread and I'll add it to the list?
Thanks for the timely thread Andy. As we discussed a week or two ago, @fastlane_dad and I are thinking about doing something like this but hesitant.

Will follow this thread closely!

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Thanks for the timely thread Andy. As we discussed a week or two ago, @fastlane_dad and I are thinking about doing something like this but hesitant.

Will follow this thread closely!
Halfway through this. I immediately thought of you guys, as well as my own preference for privacy:

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Thanks for this thread, looking to start my own courses !
Added your progress thread to the opening post. Good luck!

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I started with Thinkific a few years ago when selling my original Google Ads Jumpstart. I moved off it because the landing page builder was a convoluted mess.

My thinking was: if they can't make it easy for course creators to sell their courses then they've got their priorities wrong. They make money by making money for their customers.

That was years ago, so maybe the news below isn't related. I wouldn't be surprised if Thinkific is in trouble though. Something had to be amiss years ago for them to not prioritise sales for their customers.

In case you're wondering, I use New Zenler now and it's a pleasure to use. One of my favourite pieces of software, which is unusual for an all-in-one.

informedconsent

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
54%
Jun 4, 2022
Really appreciate you starting this thread. I've been thinking about selling online courses for a few years now and never took action except for overpaying for an online course to teach me how to make online courses... He uses Kajabi which seems like a popular but expensive platform and ofc that's what he recommends us to use once we get to that stage. Glad to hear the feedback on New Zenler though as it seems to be a good and more affordable alternative. Now for me to read some more through the threads you've posted before asking any redundant questions!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.