The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Martial Arts, Combat Sports, Self-Defense Systems - What Do You Practice?

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
Self defense drills... here's a scenario. You hire a company, and some time in the next 2 years, they tear gas your house and shoot everyone who runs out with paintball guns. Or they ambush you in the work parking lot, also with non-lethal but very stressful force. Sounds unpleasant, but maybe it's the only way to know for sure how prepared you are :rofl:. Personal red-team as a service?

Sounds interesting. From a practical point of view, extremely hard to pull off. People would get killed and/or injured by mistake.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

heavy_industry

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
555%
Apr 17, 2022
Self defense drills... here's a scenario. You hire a company, and some time in the next 2 years, they tear gas your house and shoot everyone who runs out with paintball guns. Or they ambush you in the work parking lot, also with non-lethal but very stressful force. Sounds unpleasant, but maybe it's the only way to know for sure how prepared you are :rofl:. Personal red-team as a service?
2 years?
I would not recommend trying this if you have bad memory and have easy access to firearms.

hobbsie

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
80%
Sep 16, 2021
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPysz3dYoxA

That's a pretty solid simulation for three different self-defense situations.

I once did something like this outdoors for wilderness first aid and let me tell you: in the heat of the moment this is WAY harder than it looks when you're watching it. After the fact it's all quite clear but while it's happening, even though you know it's a simulation, you're still going to do some dumb shit.
You have to take care of yourself first. As the man says, when you're in an airplane and the cabin becomes de-pressurized, you have to put you're own mask on first.

Rabby

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
319%
Aug 26, 2018
Florida
2 years?
I would not recommend trying this if you have bad memory and have easy access to firearms.
My scenario is tongue-in-cheek, but there's also some truth to it. Enemies strike when you least expect them, so the timeline would have to be long enough that their preparations are diffuse.

Naturally, a personal service like this isn't worth the risk for most people, but similar services exist for military bases, critical computer networks, secure facilities, etc. The only way to know how well all those systems and preparations work is... to handle the unexpected at an unknown time.

That means someone actually infiltrates the base, actually attacks the network aggressively, actually gets into the high security vault, or medical facility, or government office, etc., but stops short of dealing a ruinous or lethal blow once they've succeeded.

Unfortunately it is possible for the red teamer to be killed on high security assignments... one security guard or soldier going above and beyond could be all it takes, so better be quick to show authorization documents when confronted with force.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

GoldenSummer

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
Jun 2, 2020
Moldova
What martial arts, combat sports or self-defense systems do you practice and why?

As a teenager I practiced karate kyokushin for several years. In hindsight, it was bullshit from the perspective of self-defense but well...

A couple of years ago I practiced krav maga one-on-one with a coach. I was attracted to this self-defense system because of its focus on fast, brutal, effective self-defense. I later stopped when my coach stopped being available. I recently restarted it though I practice it rarely as my coach is too busy with his day job and other stuff.

I like krav maga as it mostly focuses on strengthening your instincts instead of using sophisticated techniques. It always assumes at least two attackers and teaches you how to protect yourself against various weapons like bats, bottles, knives and guns (though this is clearly ONLY if you can't run away at all). We worked through different scenarios including fighting in toilets, against a wall, in a crowd, etc.

What I don't like in krav maga is that it doesn't focus that much on proper stand-up fighting, let alone ground fighting. The assumption is that you defend yourself in 10 seconds (the standard MO is a nut kick and attacking the eyes or other sensitive spots) and run away. But things aren't always that simple.

For that reason, an since my krav maga coach isn't that available anymore, I decided to take up MMA (mixed martial arts).

My MMA coach is an ex-pro and makes a living teaching people how to fight, including competitive fighters. I started a couple of weeks ago and I've already improved my technique a lot.

Since it combines all different combat sports, I think it's one of the best options from the self-defense point of view (the best self-defense option is training sprints LOL). For the time being I'm still working on stand-up fighting but soon we'll also start learning how to grapple.

From the health/fitness point of view it's a great mix of conditioning, strength, power, coordination, mobility, etc. Your entire body gets a solid workout.

From the mental perspective it's also excellent as (safe) sparring is essential in this sport. It teaches you to trust your guard and stay in control as you get hit.

So, to repeat the question:

What martial arts, combat sports or self-defense systems do you practice and why?
Good question, I myself practice Muay-Thai/Boxing plaing to take some grapling lessons, I choose these martial arts because they are the most effective

be-water

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
May 2, 2020
Illinois
I learned Krav Maga from the 3rd KM instructor for the IDF. I liked the way it was taught and the philosophy. Definitely different than other lineages of Krav Maga though.

I definitely want to start doing BJJ at some point because wrestling is a glaring weak area for me and takes a long time to master.

Timmy C

I Will Not Stop!
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
231%
Jun 12, 2018
Melbourne, Australia
260lb Bodybuilder vs 160lb Wrestler. The big guy started with a cheap shot, he is lucky he only got taken down.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0wj6g-WDNjU

I still wouldn't want to fight that big guy even though I have a fair bit of Martial Arts experience myself.
Imagine big clubbing blows from a guy that size. I would give myself a chance, but any untrained guy would get annihilated with that size difference.

Size matters, that's why weight classes exist.

Oso

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
299%
Jan 18, 2022
Muay Thai/boxing for ~16 years now. Wanted to be a fighter when I was young, but when I was diagnosed with epilepsy, the dream was instantly killed. Once it was under control, I was cleared to spar/have friendly matches, but I was told I'd never get to actually compete.

Cheers.

Brookzo

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
65%
Jan 4, 2024

HoneyBadger302

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
270%
Apr 20, 2023
For about 6 years was active in Hwa Rang Do/Tae Soo Do. Law enforcement and military, LE especially had a fair bit of training and then I had practical applications of some of the stuff I had learned over the years.
Recently (after a rather long hiatus) have started with a local Korean-based martial art - kind of a mcdojo style, but at my age with my old injuries (not from martial arts), something a little easier to ease back into things is appreciated and I'm enjoying being able to regularly train without really risking aggravating old owies. I chose to start back at the beginning (they would have honored my previous training), since I'm so out of shape and my coordination in that regard is pretty bad, so I don't mind taking the time to work up from the basics again.
I still have all my old material and training, which I can supplement the current program with that as I want.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.