The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Lex DeVille's: How to Make $1,000 a Week with no Degree, no Feedback, & no Portfolio.

HAL

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
203%
Jul 23, 2015
As someone who has freelanced for nearly a decade in various areas, I would suggest that anyone who is starting out for copywriting work on upwork also look into audio transcription on other sites (I use Rev). If work is slow on upwork, there is almost always transcription jobs available, the pay is not great, but there are some shortcuts to make more per hour. You won't ever reach anywhere near $1000 / week, but these things make it so much easier: 1) You don't have to directly deal with clients (no phone calls / emails), 2) You choose what projects to take on and when (no one contacting you because they need something tomorrow morning), 3) Doesn't require much mental bandwidth, no research (except to quickly look up terms), no creative thought involved -- I prefer to save this for other things. 4) Almost forgot, once you get past the application process, you never have to spend time applying for gigs again. If something is available, you can just grab it.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Jun 18, 2015
Hi everyone, I am new here to the fast lane. A friend introduced me to the forums and after seeing an entrepeneur path involving writing, I just knew I had to find out more about it and pursue the opportunity.

First off, full disclosure, I read up to about page 6 trying to find just how is it that one begins to score gigs with no experience. I looked through Sinister's posting history and couldn't quite find anything besides what I had already read: you need to polish your profile on Odesk, and you need to provide the employer upfront about what YOU can do for THEM. After that, Sinister mentions getting gigs offsite, which were described as the optimal source of employment.

How do I get to this? I believe I understand the idea behind making money by copywriting, but I don't know how to start getting my hands dirty and get started. I feel like my profile on Odesk follows the rules yet I'm not getting any work. Additionally, I Google searched copywriting jobs to begin working by contacting people and getting the opportunity to interview. All I get were more sites to apply for online jobs.

Anybody been down this path before that know about how to overcome this issue? Thanks in advance.

The Grind

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
165%
Oct 17, 2014
Hi everyone, I am new here to the fast lane. A friend introduced me to the forums and after seeing an entrepeneur path involving writing, I just knew I had to find out more about it and pursue the opportunity.

First off, full disclosure, I read up to about page 6 trying to find just how is it that one begins to score gigs with no experience. I looked through Sinister's posting history and couldn't quite find anything besides what I had already read: you need to polish your profile on Odesk, and you need to provide the employer upfront about what YOU can do for THEM. After that, Sinister mentions getting gigs offsite, which were described as the optimal source of employment.

How do I get to this? I believe I understand the idea behind making money by copywriting, but I don't know how to start getting my hands dirty and get started. I feel like my profile on Odesk follows the rules yet I'm not getting any work. Additionally, I Google searched copywriting jobs to begin working by contacting people and getting the opportunity to interview. All I get were more sites to apply for online jobs.

Anybody been down this path before that know about how to overcome this issue? Thanks in advance.
Keep reading his posts my man, your missing the "point".

Keep re reading his posts, you'll get it.

These threads have nothing to do with copywriting.

User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Jun 18, 2015
Keep reading his posts my man, your missing the "point".

Keep re reading his posts, you'll get it.

These threads have nothing to do with copywriting.

I understand that these threads are more about the mentality to power through. In a sense, that's something I'm doing at the very moment. Found a high value individual in the most unlikely of places with real world entrepreneurial experience related to another project. These threads are valuable in their own right.

My post was more directed towards the specific issue, related to my own inexperience. If anyone is willing to share their input, (Sinister, your advice would be most appreciated), I am all ears.

The Grind

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
165%
Oct 17, 2014
I dont believe we ever discussed how to make a video for your profile. I would imagine it instantly separates you from everyone else.

How long the video should be and what you say?

IrishSpring600

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
Dec 24, 2013
I dont believe we ever discussed how to make a video for your profile. I would imagine it instantly separates you from everyone else.

You make a claim, but it's unfounded.

Last edited:

SmoothFranko

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
115%
Jul 31, 2015
Australia
Maybe Upwork isn't for me, almost failed the Basic US English test with a 5/5 got a 3 :/ which is barely a pass...

SlowlaneJay

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
273%
Oct 25, 2014
Bogotá, Colombia
Is it better to display "More than 30 hrs/week" or "As needed - open to offers" under availability?

I've tested both.

The former puts you higher in the search results and I've received way more invitations with it. Unless you're so busy you can't accept a single new client, I suggest keeping your availability maxed. Look like you're super available and don't change it (even if Upwork tells you to after every accepted contract).

I'd say having killer feedback, an awesome overview, and 100+ hours worked is better. Again, it comes down to ranking in the search engines because the invitations are where you really start making money (there's a whole underground market of Invite-Only jobs). As far as I can tell, the video profiles don't have a lot to do with ranking.

What's more, when a client mouses over your profile after you apply, they see your feedback rating, hours worked, and first few lines of the overview. I think getting these right would be a better use of time (and easier to test in the case of overview).

I also think you could shoot yourself in foot if your video isn't on point. I've seen a few awful videos that spoil an otherwise perfect profile.

Just my humble opinion though, I haven't tested my theories. If you decide to go this route, please post back and let us know how it works out. Actually, Sinister did add a video to his profile a while back if I remember correctly. Perhaps he can jump in and let us know if his invitations/acceptance skyrocketed as a result. @SinisterLex?

IrishSpring600

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
Dec 24, 2013
A note is that if you don't answer one question on time, and you're already in the passing score, it finishes the test and assigns you that score. Do I display the test (it was a 3.65, top 30%), or do I hide it? I can always explain to the person/company hiring that it ended my test unfairly.

IrishSpring600

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
Dec 24, 2013
How do you get feedback? I just finished my first job but after tracking the other person's and my profile, I can't see a way to leave feedback.

Also, I've been paid, but my balance is $0. Do I have to wait until Sunday to see the $ in my balance (It was a fixed rate)?

The Grind

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
165%
Oct 17, 2014
Also an update for me.

I havent worked on upwork for a while, couple months probably. Slowlane jobs too distracting and lack of motivation is killing me.

Working 60 hours a week at toyota selling cars, which is such a STUPID job...so much time wasted, gone, making very little money.

Anyway, received an offer for an interview out of now where 2 days ago, I accepted, send 2 messages then back and forth with the interviewee, got the job, 15/hour for 5 hours ( I said it shouldnt take longer than 5 hours ) Perhaps this will be a motivator to gain some momentum on upwork and apply for jobs everyday. It wouldn't take long to replace my few hundred dollars a week with upwork.

IrishSpring600

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
Dec 24, 2013
Also an update for me.

I havent worked on upwork for a while, couple months probably. Slowlane jobs too distracting and lack of motivation is killing me.

Working 60 hours a week at toyota selling cars, which is such a STUPID job...so much time wasted, gone, making very little money.

Anyway, received an offer for an interview out of now where 2 days ago, I accepted, send 2 messages then back and forth with the interviewee, got the job, 15/hour for 5 hours ( I said it shouldnt take longer than 5 hours ) Perhaps this will be a motivator to gain some momentum on upwork and apply for jobs everyday. It wouldn't take long to replace my few hundred dollars a week with upwork.
Getting jobs on Upwork isn't hard thanks to this thread.

InLikeFlint

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Nov 19, 2012
Michigan, USA
Great story, congrats @SinisterLex on your success!

Toss out applications through oDesk, Elance and Guru you have the potential to bring in more clients on a weekly basis (time constraints now come into effect) but you could essentially pick and choose from the projects you were selected for at that point

Casting a wider net = more fishies :tiphat:

Last edited:

Formless

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
267%
Oct 27, 2013
Just thought I'd share my approach to writing Cover Letters. My response rate went up quite a bit. I had to tell my clients to leave me alone until tomorrow because I was starting to feel a little burned out.

Anyway, here is one application I made recently:

*Could I Be The Writer You're Looking For?*

Hi _____,

Hope you're having a really good day!

Having read your job description, I think I know what you're looking for, and I believe I can deliver.

What you're asking for is called an 'advertorial' in copywriting circles. In Advertorials, you give useful info to customers and then promote a product. Good advertorials work when they give readers VALUABLE and RELEVANT information first and then ask for the sale.

When the info in the piece is RELEVANT and VALUABLE, you establish TRUST with the reader. They start to see you as the 'expert' on all things video. This makes them a lot more likely to buy from you.

Now, it doesn't have to be super in-depth information, just relevant to your readers, and I believe I can provide that.

How?

Two ways.

One is research and communicating with you. The other way is that I have two friends who are into video and graphic design. So they can tell me exactly the kind of things video designers are looking for.

This makes it easy for me to write in their language - and thus deliver content that actually returns your investment.

Attached you will find a piece of writing I did for a client recently. It's similar to what you need, although here I didn't explicitly ask for a 'sale'. In your piece there will be more promotion of the package you're selling. Nevertheless, take a look to get an idea of the style of writing I use. See if you like it.

If you think I have what it takes to write what you need - contact me now and let's work together!

Regards,

Adrian

P.S. If you want to chat in real-time, add me on Skype: __________

-----------------------------------------------------------------

The reason I'm sharing this with you is because ever since switching from a "Hard-Sell" to "Informing/Soft-Sell" - everything improved. For one month I tried to sound like a dick-pill-peddling copywriter, and I didn't make a single penny. When I stopped treating my clients like 'customers' and started treating them like 'people' - I started landing gigs somewhat regularly.

I don't have enough reference points to say that my way is "the right one." But I hope this encourages some of the people just getting started.

My cover letter is not copywriting wizardry. It's actually heavily flawed.

But this 'flawed' yet 'genuinely helpful' style has been pretty effective for me.

You don't need to be perfect. You just need to tell them how you will help them.

IrishSpring600

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
Dec 24, 2013
Just thought I'd share my approach to writing Cover Letters. My response rate went up quite a bit. I had to tell my clients to leave me alone until tomorrow because I was starting to feel a little burned out.

Anyway, here is one application I made recently:

*Could I Be The Writer You're Looking For?*

Hi _____,

Hope you're having a really good day!

Having read your job description, I think I know what you're looking for, and I believe I can deliver.

What you're asking for is called an 'advertorial' in copywriting circles. In Advertorials, you give useful info to customers and then promote a product. Good advertorials work when they give readers VALUABLE and RELEVANT information first and then ask for the sale.

When the info in the piece is RELEVANT and VALUABLE, you establish TRUST with the reader. They start to see you as the 'expert' on all things video. This makes them a lot more likely to buy from you.

Now, it doesn't have to be super in-depth information, just relevant to your readers, and I believe I can provide that.

How?

Two ways.

One is research and communicating with you. The other way is that I have two friends who are into video and graphic design. So they can tell me exactly the kind of things video designers are looking for.

This makes it easy for me to write in their language - and thus deliver content that actually returns your investment.

Attached you will find a piece of writing I did for a client recently. It's similar to what you need, although here I didn't explicitly ask for a 'sale'. In your piece there will be more promotion of the package you're selling. Nevertheless, take a look to get an idea of the style of writing I use. See if you like it.

If you think I have what it takes to write what you need - contact me now and let's work together!

Regards,

Adrian

P.S. If you want to chat in real-time, add me on Skype: __________

-----------------------------------------------------------------

The reason I'm sharing this with you is because ever since switching from a "Hard-Sell" to "Informing/Soft-Sell" - everything improved. For one month I tried to sound like a dick-pill-peddling copywriter, and I didn't make a single penny. When I stopped treating my clients like 'customers' and started treating them like 'people' - I started landing gigs somewhat regularly.

I don't have enough reference points to say that my way is "the right one." But I hope this encourages some of the people just getting started.

My cover letter is not copywriting wizardry. It's actually heavily flawed.

But this 'flawed' yet 'genuinely helpful' style has been pretty effective for me.

You don't need to be perfect. You just need to tell them how you will help them.

What's your response rate?

Formless

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
267%
Oct 27, 2013
12 applications in this style and 5 responses.

2 I declined.

1 extra customer too but they found me.

EDIT: "So I did the math..." and it's 42%.

IrishSpring600

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
Dec 24, 2013
12 applications in this style and 5 responses.

2 I declined.

1 extra customer too but they found me.

EDIT: "So I did the math..." and it's 42%.

That's great! I truly believe it's the genuinity in the message that matters, whether it's a paragraph or a page long. For example, here's one of mine:

"Sounds like you want a Transaction class that takes in LineItems as parameters and also contains a function that returns a price. I have experience coding in C++ and Java and a good knowledge of aggregation (where Transaction items have a "has-a" relationship with LineItem items)."

Formless

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
267%
Oct 27, 2013
Nice and Simple.

In a few lines you've told them what they want and tickled them with expertise. I heard a good adage about 'long vs short' copy:

"Copy is like a woman's skirt. It should be long enough to cover the important parts - and short enough to be interesting."

When I'm actually doing stuff for clients - I try my best to keep this in mind.

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA
If I didn't have a 9 to 5 I'd try this free lancing stuff out. Looks like I could work up to a higher hourly wage than my salaried job, but I want to get away from the time for money exchange and start selling products and ideas.

My biggest hurdle is disciple and procrastination. Still finding my why, who, passion, discipline to get me moving on the ideas I have.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
Quit making excuses. Take action. Do.

The Grind

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
165%
Oct 17, 2014
Don't think this has been covered yet in this thread.

When you wake up and you have an "You have been invited to interview for xyz"

When they find you and offer to interview you.

Ive gotten a couple and I accepted the interview and basically just say thank you, but no responses afterwards.

What has been working for you guys when you get an interview?

IrishSpring600

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
Dec 24, 2013

Ive gotten a couple and I accepted the interview and basically just say thank you, but no responses afterwards.

They usually offer me a time when I'm available for a call. If you say "thank you" and only "thank you" it communicates disinterest believe it or not.

SlowlaneJay

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
273%
Oct 25, 2014
Bogotá, Colombia

What works for me:
  • Look at the job description, is it something you want to do?
  • If so, reply, and let them know you're a human being and you can understand a job description— just like you would when applying cold.
  • Keep it shorter though, they don't need too much convincing and overselling may work against you here.
  • In fact, acting as if you already have the job works better than writing a standard proposal. With this in mind, it's usually best to push them towards a call as quickly as possible so you can close quickly.
For example, when I receive an invite to a job that looks interesting I write something like:

Hey Bob,
Thanks for bringing me in. From the looks of it you need [blah blah blah blah]. Is that about right?

I'd love to learn a little more about the job and how I can help. Why don't we jump on a quick Skype call together?

My Skype ID is 'slowlane.jay' and I'm available [from blah to blah]. When is a good time for you?

Talk soon!
SlowlaneJay

This way it sounds like you're already onboard. You've eliminated any resistance, and all they have to do now is set up a call with you.

Finally, if it looks like a job you don't want to do, decline the invitation. But it's not a bad idea to fill in the optional message box when you do so. Just write something brief about how you're busy or how the job looks like it would be a better fit for someone else.

This has worked out more than a couple of times for me when a client will come back after being disappointed with their writer (their budget was too low) and they'll invite me to help for a more reasonable budget. Or, a couple times I've mentioned I'm too busy, and they've come back a few weeks later and asked if I'm free now.

Bottom line: be a professional, whether accepting or declining.

Hope that helps. Good luck!

The Grind

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
165%
Oct 17, 2014
What works for me:
  • Look at the job description, is it something you want to do?
  • If so, reply, and let them know you're a human being and you can understand a job description— just like you would when applying cold.
  • Keep it shorter though, they don't need too much convincing and overselling may work against you here.
  • In fact, acting as if you already have the job works better than writing a standard proposal. With this in mind, it's usually best to push them towards a call as quickly as possible so you can close quickly.
For example, when I receive an invite to a job that looks interesting I write something like:

Hey Bob,
Thanks for bringing me in. From the looks of it you need [blah blah blah blah]. Is that about right?

I'd love to learn a little more about the job and how I can help. Why don't we jump on a quick Skype call together?

My Skype ID is 'slowlane.jay' and I'm available [from blah to blah]. When is a good time for you?

Talk soon!
SlowlaneJay

This way it sounds like you're already onboard. You've eliminated any resistance, and all they have to do now is set up a call with you.

Finally, if it looks like a job you don't want to do, decline the invitation. But it's not a bad idea to fill in the optional message box when you do so. Just write something brief about how you're busy or how the job looks like it would be a better fit for someone else.

This has worked out more than a couple of times for me when a client will come back after being disappointed with their writer (their budget was too low) and they'll invite me to help for a more reasonable budget. Or, a couple times I've mentioned I'm too busy, and they've come back a few weeks later and asked if I'm free now.

Bottom line: be a professional, whether accepting or declining.

Hope that helps. Good luck!
My man @SlowlaneJay

How is this upwork /freelancing path treating you? Havent talked to you in a while.

So with every potential client, do you ALWAYS push them to get on skype to video chat with you? Do you just type messages to each other via skype or do you do video calls?

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
Update:

After working with several clients, I'm starting to push away from this. It pays my bills now to the point where I don't even worry about the fact that I won't see the money I make for a month.

I opened my Upwork account in May. Within a few months, I've created myself a job. I have 3 long-term clients, one I'm about to end, and 1 JV deal (this is the most Fastlane thing I do right now and has the potential to replace every other client I have. I take a % of profits.).

(Background: I didn't start with 0 experience, I had been freelancing on and off for a few years by this point, only using referrals and, at the very beginning, Fiverr. If you want to start from 0, Fiverr is a great place to build a portfolio.)

This is not Fastlane. Not even close. But it pays the bills and leaves me extra... which I can then take and put into my own Fastlane pursuit. (It might end up as a progress thread.)

So some tips for anyone who wants to start doing this kind of thing:

General Tips:
  • Treat it like a job. If you have a job already, the only reason you would do this is to get better at a skill or to replace your income. (Full disclosure: I haven't had a job in years due to school + freelancing)
  • Go in with realistic expectations. Freelancing does not necessarily lead into Fastlane pursuits, it just gives you a little experience and capital... and a network to start with.
  • Increase your rate with every job you get, and stop at a number that's high enough to deter people who aren't serious. You'll be busy if you do this right. I turn people down left and right. I quote people prices that I doubt they'll pay. I do this on purpose: to show my value AND to shoo away those who aren't serious.
  • Use your unfair advantages. I picked a niche based on experiences unique to me and skills that I have that most don't.
  • No unfair advantages? Learn your intelligence, and learn how to use that intelligence to learn a skill, and then use that skill to fill a demand. What are you inclined to be good at? Do this and you'll be a 'digital nomad' in less than a year. I guarantee it.
  • Start today. If you haven't started, do it right now. http://upwork.com - Click it before you read the rest!
Picking and Getting Clients:
  • Your cover letter is the first place to practice your copy. Write it like a sales letter. Those who have seen my cover letters know why they work, and it's because they sell. I'll elaborate a little bit more on this if people want.
  • Pick a client that you know you can help and then communicate how you can help them and why. This will mitigate the fear of hiring someone with no feedback.
  • Offer a guarantee and promise satisfaction. If you keep reading my tips, you'll learn how to keep this promise.
  • Write each cover letter individually. Put in the TIME and you will improve the chances of getting the client. Don't use a template, don't MAKE a template, don't use copy-paste... just don't try and cut corners.
  • In the beginning, writing cover letters will be your biggest time suck. Be HAPPY that you get to spend 8 hours writing cover letters and applying for jobs. That's the most fun part, because you are practicing copy in a way that is results-driven! If you can sell yourself, you can sell a gizmo. Truth.

Pleasing Clients:
  • Get on the phone/Skype as soon as possible. Don't fear the phone. I used to fear the phone. Now, I love it. I don't hesitate to call anymore. If they give me a phone number, I jump on it. And I am quick to give mine. I make more money from people who have my phone number.
  • Overdeliver. If you're expecting to work 10 hours, and you quoted 10 hours, put in 12 and see what you come up with.
  • Give a progress report regularly and schedule regular calls. I try to call twice a week, but it depends on the client. Some clients like to be hands-off and have you conduct everything, while others micromanage and will ask to edit every little thing. I hate both of these kinds of clients: i like em in the middle.
  • Be okay with edits. If they tell you that what you wrote or designed is not what they want, guess what? That's on you, bub. Get better at communicating and fix your mistakes.
  • On the other hand, don't be afraid to end a job. Finish one job and then if they want more (or if it's a long hourly contract), tell them that your calendar is filling up and that they would be better served picking someone else.
  • Communication is key. Be sure you understand what they need. Ask them lots of questions. Let them know that the more they tell, the less time the project will take.
  • If you (1) chose a client that you knew you can help and (2) followed these tips, you will never have anyone leave unsatisfied.
Repeat Clients and Referrals:
  • If you do your job well enough, many clients have jobs lined up for you already and will simply give them to you and say "I need a yes or a no".
  • Ask for feedback on Upwork. Yes, ask for it. And don't end the contract. They will end it for you.
  • Tell them a line like this: "If you need any similar projects, let me know. I also offer x for $y (where y is a higher price than what they paid for the current project) I'm available in the near future, but I can't say for sure if I'll be available for long".
  • Also, put referrals in their mind. Tell them something like this: "If you have a friend or relative who needs x, let them know about me."
  • Talk to them regularly. Ask how their projects are going. Give them well wishes every so often. You won't even need to tell them you're available or ask them for referrals, because you'll stay in their mind.
And remember: this is the FASTLANE Forum. Don't think of freelancing as the end all be all! You want to do this to make more money, improve sales skills, and start a REAL business! Even if it's a small one like local lead gen or Amazon. And that's not the end all be all, either! Focus on improving and go bigger every year.

And if you STILL haven't started, http://upwork.com is right here, waiting for you to be clicked :) So do it NOW!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.