The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Kaizen: A Garbage Bin Metaphor

Anything related to matters of the mind

Two Dog

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
142%
Feb 15, 2022
Our neighborhood bear has been visiting pretty frequently over the past few months. We live in a fairly rural area and she enjoys pulling everything out of the garbage bins, ripping all the sacks open and strewing the leftover garbage all around the woods. Last week was the third time in the past three months. While my wife cleaned up this round, I started thinking about how to bear-proof the bin while still leaving it possible for the garbage truck to empty it easily. Since it took about two hours for her to pick up all the garbage, there was plenty of time for experimenting.

After a week of playing with various solutions, I came up with the following which works extremely well. The bin is secured to a sturdy tree with ratchet straps and a non-slippable clamp strap for keeping the lid down. It only takes about thirty seconds to remove the tree straps and two minutes to attach everything after the bin has been emptied.

@SteveO
IMG_3242.JPG

Pretty slick, right? Read on.

I like doing this kind of stuff and enjoyed the challenge of figuring out a way to outsmart the average bear without buying anything special. All that's required was a little creativity and effort. After finishing, it crossed my mind that solving this problem is an excellent example of Kaizen.
"KAIZEN™ means improvement. Moreover, it means continuing improvement in personal life, home life, social life, and working life. When applied to the workplace, KAIZEN™ means continuing improvement involving everyone – managers and workers alike." ~ Masaaki Imai, Founder of Kaizen Institute

The first lesson is that seeing the final result gives you no insight into the process required to find a particular solution.​

That's what happens when you attempt to copy a successful competitor by mimicking what they're doing from the outside. All you can see is the final results. You have no insight into how many things were tried earlier, what failed, what succeeded. You've no idea what processes are required to deliver the product, service or experience that you're attempting to copy.

It's easy to copy a successful competitor's online ad for a particular widget. It's far more difficult to understand why they chose a particular image, the exact wording, the landing page, the target demographic, the autoresponder sequence, etc. It's impossible to know how the product itself is being sourced, manufactured, design decisions, profit margins and so on. Blindly copying what a competitor does gets you nothing useful, but is great for wasting time and money.

The second lesson is about the concept of Kaizen itself.​

Kaizen is a Japanese concept that can be translated as "change for the better". It's one of the core values of my latest startup and everyone hired is expected to take it to heart or they can work somewhere else. Doing something a particular way because "We've always done it that way" is a guarantee your business will be mediocre for its entire existence.

Every founder of an extraordinarily successful business (aka "Fastlane Business") is well familiar with the concept of Kaizen. They might call it Total Quality Management, Six Sigma or simply "Making shit work better to make more money." It can only happen over time. No one can launch a new business that works flawlessly. It's not possible.

Big results come from many small changes over time. After finishing the project, I starting thinking through all the iterations that had gone into the seemingly simple solution pictured above. There were many. You can disagree with the specific steps and might choose to stop sooner or continue improving my solution and stop later. However, anyone who believes the process itself is unnecessary, stupid, wasted time, wasted effort - you name it - will NEVER build a successful business.

Store Garbage Bin​

1. store bin in the garage (it stinks)
  2. store bin in the driveway (bear rips into it)
  3. place bin out immediately before pickup (guess how often we'd forget entirely)
  4. use bungee cord to secure lid (bear pulled up the lid and emptied the bin on the driveway)
  5. consider storing bin the tool shed (too far away and caused lawn damage)
  6. consider securing bin to the house (no place convenient and caused siding damage)

Anchor Garbage Bin​

1. strap bin to tree in the driveway using ratchet clamps (works great)
  2. strap top down with friction strap (works great)
  3. takes 45 minutes to attach both straps w/one person (way too slow and annoying)

Optimize Efficiency​

1. cut off pointless hooks that keep falling apart (big improvement)
  2. stitch the strap end directly to the ratchet clamp (big improvement)
  3. use landscape staples to support the straps (huge improvement)
  4. cut straps to correct size and seal ends (minor improvement)
  5. takes 2 minutes each week to attach all three straps w/one person (perfectly acceptable)
  6. DONE (works great!!!)

IMG_3240.JPG
IMG_3239.JPG
IMG_3241.JPG
IMG_3246.JPG

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

CL100

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
157%
Aug 23, 2022
Great post and example of problem solving.
I think I need to get out more and look out for problems as to trigger this way of thinking.
I bet Yogi is livid now.

Cee.

Stargazer

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
184%
Mar 8, 2018
England
Is this a major problem where you live? We don't have bears in UK so it's not a flippant question. :smile2:

Can the bin not be redesigned? It doesn't look like the manufacturer has put a locking mechanism on it.

I might cock this up but I will try and link the company that manufacture food caddies for local authorities here which will have a picture.

You put your kitchen waste food into it - so no food stuff is in your main bin.

The black handle thing rotates. When it is at the back like in the picture of the lady emptying the small one into the larger one the lid opens.

You would then close the lid like on your bin but then rotate that black handle to the front and it is locked.

The reason this came about is because magpies and crows - pretty boring compared with a bear!! - used to peck all the food out and strew it across roads and pavements so the manufactuer got their thinking caps on.

That would have been a UK wide problem which is why I was asking you if this is a big problem where you live. If it is you might want to do a bin redesign and get your local authority to buy them if they are called that in the US.

Dan

The Sandman

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
226%
Jul 12, 2022
Nice example. I'll add that that the 1st step in "doing something better" is to "do something." Once you have a baseline it can be improved. And it can be extremely difficult-to-impossible to predict challenges and details down the road, so take action, start walking, and be prepared to make adjustments. That's why prototypes and test runs are so invaluable. There are always unforeseen details.

P.S. A determined bear can still pry up the corners of the lid and pull out the top bag when it's strapped like that. Been there done that :rofl:. An electric fence charger does the trick!

View: https://youtu.be/5_DAr6vFI84

Two Dog

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
142%
Feb 15, 2022
Is this a major problem where you live? We don't have bears in UK so it's not a flippant question. :smile2:

There's no bears in the UK?!? I didn't know that. Thought they were everywhere north of 45 degrees latitude.

I'd call it more unbearable (ha!) rather than a big problem. This is the first time it's been a "we live in a normal house" situation with bears in the surrounding woods. Neighbors mention them showing up on the decks, eating out of the garden, getting into the bins, stuff like that. It's more like annoying teenagers on Halloween kind of level. They're just hungry.

We've spent a lot time hiking and camping in Colorado, Montana and Alaska over the years. Running into black and brown bears 20 - 50 meters away is pretty common. Grizzlies - especially in the early spring - are worth actively avoiding. Incidents are rare, but it's stupid not to take basic precautions and lose a dog or take a trip to the ER because you weren't carrying bear spray or didn't back off.

One company services the entire county with standardized bins, so little chance anything will change with the containers. You're right that a bear proof metal lockable container is guaranteed to work. We'd have to transfer the bags into the standard bin each week for pickup. I'm hoping my solution with ten dollars worth of straps will accomplish the same thing.

Two Dog

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
142%
Feb 15, 2022
Nice example. I'll add that that the 1st step in "doing something better" is to "do something." Once you have a baseline it can be improved. And it can be extremely difficult-to-impossible to predict challenges and details down the road, so take action, start walking, and be prepared to make adjustments. That's why prototypes and test runs are so invaluable. There are always unforeseen details.

P.S. A determined bear can still pry up the corners of the lid and pull out the top bag when it's strapped like that. Been there done that :rofl:. An electric fence charger does the trick!

View: https://youtu.be/5_DAr6vFI84
That is AWESOME!! Plus it probably deters them from ever trying again. Now I want to go change my design. ;-)

Stargazer

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
184%
Mar 8, 2018
England
There's no bears in the UK?!? I didn't know that. Thought they were everywhere north of 45 degrees latitude.
Yep. They were polished off along with the wolves. Ironically one of the woods near me is called Bearwood. :)

Dan

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.