The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Just got my Big Break! Jesse James plugging my biz!

Shea

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
1,547%
Sep 21, 2017
Austin
Hey guys,

Just want to thank MJ his booked saved my life from living corporate hell. Also, thank you to all of you bros, I've lurked here and you've helped me out a ton!

Two and a half years ago I started fixing up and selling old record players on craigslist. Each one I tried to out do myself and I began to notice that people were legitimately responding to them. I learned more and more and figured out everything about old record consoles and began installing high-end audio in them.

Fast forward to last month. Out of the spur of the moment I decide to DM Jesse James on Instagram. Initially he just responded "Awesome". Then a week later he sends me message that he wants one for his master bedroom!! HOLY SHIT my childhood hero, the craftsman of our time WANTS SOMETHING FROM ME!!

Yesterday, I ended up delivering a cherry 1960's Telefunken to him. It was like being in a dream, so surreal, as I stood outside his shop where he hauled a$$ up to meet me in his H1 hummer. He was so cool gave me a bunch of business advice, his phone number, told me I could use his shop, and is going to plug me across his social media of 8M. I'm still in shock.

Hang in there guys you never know when that big break is just around the corner! I quit my cubicle job as a financial analyst 5 months ago after reading Unscripted , it totally changed my mind and this could have never happened if I wouldn't have had the courage to do it!! I never thought in a million years this could happen!

instagram: ATX record players

unnamed-1.jpg

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

amp0193

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
444%
May 27, 2013
United States
Hang in there guys you never know when that big break is just around the corner! I quit my cubicle job as a financial analyst 5 months ago after reading Unscripted , it totally changed my mind and this could have never happened if I wouldn't have had the courage to do it!! I never thought in a million years this could happen!

View attachment 17778

Awesome progress man, congrats on making a stir!

What I love most about these big media shares is all the honest, unfiltered, feedback in the comments.

I just discovered a pain point last week I can improve after reading through 100s of comments about my product on a celebrity's page.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Hey guys,

Just want to thank MJ his booked saved my life from living corporate hell. Also, thank you to all of you bros, I've lurked here and you've helped me out a ton!

Two and a half years ago I started fixing up and selling old record players on craigslist. Each one I tried to out do myself and I began to notice that people were legitimately responding to them. I learned more and more and figured out everything about old record consoles and began installing high-end audio in them.

Fast forward to last month. Out of the spur of the moment I decide to DM Jesse James on Instagram. Initially he just responded "Awesome". Then a week later he sends me message that he wants one for his master bedroom!! HOLY sh*t my childhood hero, the craftsman of our time WANTS SOMETHING FROM ME!!

Yesterday, I ended up delivering a cherry 1960's Telefunken to him. It was like being in a dream, so surreal, as I stood outside his shop where he hauled a$$ up to meet me in his H1 hummer. He was so cool gave me a bunch of business advice, his phone number, told me I could use his shop, and is going to plug me across his social media of 8M. I'm still in shock.

View attachment 17778

Your site looks great.

My parents had a similar one to this one:

old-house-crazy-diy-restore-an-old-stereo-console-02.jpg

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
Great business idea! I wish you all the best.

I would take a lot at a company like Cool n Vintage (similar idea of reselling improved older items) and see how on point their social media game is. If you could step up your images and maybe even some video editing I think it go blow up big. Seems like a great niche that would have a lot of potential.

Link to their site >>> Home

Eisenstein

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
171%
Dec 1, 2017
Heidelberg, Germany
Congraaats!!! :)

Last edited:

AllenCrawley

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
420%
Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ
Man, do these bring back memories! Well done!

I'd love to have one of these.

Do you find it difficult to source these? Do you still search craigslist or do you run nationwide ads looking for them? I can imagine that you'd eventually start manufacturing your very own brand of these to offer in addition to the restored and modified players.

Shea

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
1,547%
Sep 21, 2017
Austin
Great business idea! I wish you all the best.

I would take a lot at a company like Cool n Vintage (similar idea of reselling improved older items) and see how on point their social media game is. If you could step up your images and maybe even some video editing I think it go blow up big. Seems like a great niche that would have a lot of potential.

Link to their site >>> Home

I love it. Yea I'm going to have to step from just using my iphone at some point!

Shea

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
1,547%
Sep 21, 2017
Austin
Man, do these bring back memories! Well done!

I'd love to have one of these.

Do you find it difficult to source these? Do you still search craigslist or do you run nationwide ads looking for them? I can imagine that you'd eventually start manufacturing your very own brand of these to offer in addition to the restored and modified players.

It's not too difficult to find them on ebay and craigslist. Jesse telling me the whole time that I need to build my own brand and build my own custom cabinets! We shall see!

Ravens_Shadow

THE TRUTH IS OUT THERE
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
643%
Oct 2, 2012
Austin, TX

AllenCrawley

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
420%
Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ
Jesse telling me the whole time that I need to build my own brand and build my own custom cabinets! We shall see!
Yes, this seems like the natural progression your business will/should take.

evlttwin

It's A Long Way To The Top....
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
212%
Feb 13, 2013
Southern California
This is THE definition of social proof. When Jesse James approves, well, that is the GOLD standard right there.

Congrats man. You can get input from the man himself when you decide to build your own brand. Priceless.

SquatchMan

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
383%
Dec 27, 2016
Nowhere
This thread has the beginnings of a Gold progress thread. Good job. Also looks like the beginning of a productocracy.

It's not too difficult to find them on ebay and craigslist. Jesse telling me the whole time that I need to build my own brand and build my own custom cabinets! We shall see!

That sounds like solid advice. What other advice on brand building did he offer?

For those unfamiliar with Jesse James. He is a good marketer/brand builder. From the Wikipedia article on West Coast Choppers:

Jesse James was finishing high school, packaging the accoutrements of the chopper lifestyle long before any actual West Coast Choppers customs [motorcycles] had been ordered or sold.

Even after the company did begin building custom choppers, 60% of revenue still came from sales of WCC-branded marketing tie-ins such as clothing, beverages and tools. Yearly sales of approximately 12–15 motorcycles at prices of around US$150,000 each actually lost money for the company, but attracted positive attention.

Shea

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
1,547%
Sep 21, 2017
Austin
This thread has the beginnings of a Gold progress thread. Good job. Also looks like the beginning of a productocracy.

That sounds like solid advice. What other advice on brand building did he offer?

For those unfamiliar with Jesse James. He is a good marketer/brand builder. From the Wikipedia article on West Coast Choppers:

He asked me what my last name was. "Henning" I said, then he was like "Henning HI-Fi". He went on that the German name would also be perfect name for fancy font.

minivanman

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
265%
Mar 16, 2017
DFW
I love that 1960's Telefunkin! Most of our house is decorated mid-century. The problem with what we have is that the pieces are mostly new but made to look mid-century. We love that look! Great job!

AgainstAllOdds

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
647%
Dec 26, 2014
Chicago, IL
Jesse telling me the whole time that I need to build my own brand and build my own custom cabinets!

Great job @Shea ! I hope your business continues to prosper.

If you want to go about making these in China, the logistics would be fairly simple.

The Guangzhou area has a lot of cabinet makers.
Shenzhen has all the electronic equipment makers.

A 1-2 week trip and you can likely line up the electronics + cabinet partners.

Last edited:

G_Alexander

Does it Cash Flow?
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
936%
Jun 7, 2008
He asked me what my last name was. "Henning" I said, then he was like "Henning HI-Fi". He went on that the German name would also be perfect name for fancy font.
Cool thread, @Shea. I'll be following along.

I think HENNING on it's own sounds good enough for a high-quality record player/cabinet business.

For your niche, I'd recommend keeping manufacturing here in the USA and selling at a higher price point/margin than other vintage refurb resellers (your cabs would be brand new, with the same high-quality craftsmanship and materials...so higher value). People are picky when it comes to quality speakers, hence the reason the GERMANS and AMERICANS lead the way (Bose, etc.). Most of BOSE's manufacturing takes place in US/Mexico (with a bit in Malaysia).

Building your own brand and production will cut lead times/delivery to customers, and ensure you won't run out of refurb stock (or have to keep hunting for it).

Go watch 'The Profit' episode on C&C Drums to get an idea of what a U.S. based manufacturing operation for custom drums looks like (similar materials, minus the electronics). Could be helpful I think if you decide to go that route.

Good luck!

Shea

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
1,547%
Sep 21, 2017
Austin
Update: I called Mcintosh Laboratories and they're going to hook me up with a Mcintosh amplifier to go with Jesse's record console in exchange for social media plugs. Also, the CEO wants to fly in and deliver it to him.....

holy shit guys... I might meet the leader in audio too!!

Last edited:

Shea

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
1,547%
Sep 21, 2017
Austin
Hey all,

Quick update

Got my plugs from Jesse James back in March. Mcintosh hooked me up with an amp and Jesse gave us both some publicity! The Mcintosh CEO did not end up coming out to deliver it though :(

31562093_10214178291523589_73452431815935511_n.jpg 29496611_10213875809201720_3157051960643294059_n.jpg

Sales are up at higher price points and I've been working with Jesse's cabinet maker Philip Morley (he makes Jesse's Gun boxes) to design
a $20K + record console that holds all Mcintosh products!

I also sourced my own tube amps that I'm going to private label and sell at a $700 price point. Going to work hard to improve the quality and packaging then start selling them on Amazon.

unnamed-3.jpg unnamed-2.jpg

If anyone is still interested in my journey let me know and I'll keep updating this as I go along.

Attachments

• 31562093_10214178291523589_73452431815935511_n.jpg
    31562093_10214178291523589_73452431815935511_n.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 6

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
Hey all,

Quick update

Got my plugs from Jesse James back in March. Mcintosh hooked me up with an amp and Jesse gave us both some publicity! The Mcintosh CEO did not end up coming out to deliver it though :(

View attachment 19624 View attachment 19625

Sales are up at higher price points and I've been working with Jesse's cabinet maker Philip Morley (he makes Jesse's Gun boxes) to design
a $20K + record console that holds all Mcintosh products!

I also sourced my own tube amps that I'm going to private label and sell at a $700 price point. Going to work hard to improve the quality and packaging then start selling them on Amazon.

View attachment 19627 View attachment 19628

If anyone is still interested in my journey let me know and I'll keep updating this as I go along.

Amazing - well done. It’s great when people come back after a few months with a ton of progress. Keep us all updated - I’m sure this will be huge.

amp0193

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
444%
May 27, 2013
United States
Turned a friend onto you last month when he said he was looking for a vintage record player.

Then he found one on the side of the road and fixed it up.

I think you've got a killer business here. And you're doing it right.

Shea

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
1,547%
Sep 21, 2017
Austin
Turned a friend onto you last month when he said he was looking for a vintage record player.

Then he found one on the side of the road and fixed it up.

I think you've got a killer business here. And you're doing it right.

Thanks man!

Tell him he needs to hook my tube amp up to it! Going to make an E-book that reveals all my secrets on how to restore record consoles when I launch on Amazon in the near future!

Scot

Salad Dressing Empire
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
472%
Jul 10, 2016
Florida
My father in law is your prime customer.

He’s got a full audiophile setup, all tube.

Dudes system probably costs more than my car.

Your work is gorgeous too, keep gong!

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
Notable

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

Duh, yea!

Congrats man!

Edwin Fernandez

Freedom
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
157%
Feb 7, 2018
Thanks for sharing your progress. It is inspirational to see others escaping the 9-5 and winning like you are. Wealth and prosperity to you.

Shea

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
1,547%
Sep 21, 2017
Austin
Update:

We completed our first design renderings for our super high-end record console. Jesse hooked me up with Philip Morley who is building the first unit. Philip is responsible for Donald Trump's 45 Gun box.

Jesse-James-Trump-1911-9.jpg Jesse-James-Trump-1911-8.jpg

Best news is I found a client that is buying the first one! Now I don't have to risk my own cash in hopes of finding a buyer! Here is an exclusive look at what's going to be built now.....

Screen Shot 2018-06-13 at 3.53.46 PM.png Screen Shot 2018-06-13 at 3.53.50 PM.png

Inspired from late 60's german record console design. These basic line drawings make it seem bland, but once the wood working magic is applied it should be unbelievable.

But Shea what about the vibration you say??

Well our unique buying proposition is that we innovated to isolate the amp and the turntable platform with precision electron microscope mechanical vibration isolators. Screen Shot 2018-06-13 at 4.02.17 PM.png

Also the entire unit is made to fit Mcintosh's product line. This customer wants the best of the best so we're using the Mcintosh MT2 turntable, MA252 integrated tube amp, and XR50 speakers.

Even crazier is that Mcintosh has given me an unconventional exclusive wholesale permission to put their products in our record consoles!
MT2 Angle landing J.jpg MA252 Angle Right landing J.jpg Screen Shot 2018-05-28 at 4.14.32 PM.png

Pretty excited to see the "ultimate music experience" "the Lamborghini of sound" come to life!!!

Last edited:

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
Update:

We completed our first design renderings for our super high-end record console. Jesse hooked me up with Philip Morley who is building the first unit. Philip is responsible for Donald Trump's 45 Gun box.

View attachment 19791 View attachment 19792

Best news is I found a client that is buying the first one! Now I don't have to risk my own cash in hopes of finding a buyer! Here is an exclusive look at what's going to be built now.....

View attachment 19793 View attachment 19794

Inspired from late 60's german record console design. These basic line drawings make it seem bland, but once the wood working magic is applied it should be unbelievable.

But Shea what about the vibration you say??

Well our unique buying proposition that we innovated was to isolate the amp and the turntable platform with precision electron microscope mechanical vibration isolators. View attachment 19795

Also the entire unit is made to fit Mcintosh's product line. This customer wants the best of the best so we're using the Mcintosh MT2 turntable, MA252 integrated tube amp, and XR50 speakers.

Even crazier is that Mcintosh has given me an unconventional exclusive wholesale permission to put their products in our record consoles!
View attachment 19796 View attachment 19797 View attachment 19798

Pretty excited to see the "ultimate music experience" "the Lamborghini of sound" come to life!!!

And...

this thread just went gold.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!