• The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success
  1. Trading Life for a Weekend?
    Build a Business, Build a Life.
    Unleash the Dream.

Become an UNSCRIPTED™Entrepreneur.

UNSCRIPTED™ Entrepreneurship is an entrepreneurial business strategy that unleashes dreams, frees time, and explodes your incomes—but more importantly, it changes your life forever. Make no mistake; this isn’t something you “try”— this is something you live.

FREE Download (Unscripted) FREE Download (Millionaire Fastlane)  Register
    Registering for the forum removes this block!

FORUM SEARCH

Need answers about entrepreneurship? Search FIRST! More than likely your entrepreneurial topic has already been discussed.
Powered by Google Site Search.

Just got my Big Break! Jesse James plugging my biz!

Discussion in 'General Entrepreneur Discussion' started by Shea, Feb 10, 2018.

1. Shea

Shea Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $882
    Hey guys,

Just want to thank MJ his booked saved my life from living corporate hell. Also, thank you to all of you bros, I've lurked here and you've helped me out a ton!

Two and a half years ago I started fixing up and selling old record players on craigslist. Each one I tried to out do myself and I began to notice that people were legitimately responding to them. I learned more and more and figured out everything about old record consoles and began installing high-end audio in them.

Fast forward to last month. Out of the spur of the moment I decide to DM Jesse James on Instagram. Initially he just responded "Awesome". Then a week later he sends me message that he wants one for his master bedroom!! HOLY sh*t my childhood hero, the craftsman of our time WANTS SOMETHING FROM ME!!

Yesterday, I ended up delivering a cherry 1960's Telefunken to him. It was like being in a dream, so surreal, as I stood outside his shop where he hauled ass up to meet me in his H1 hummer. He was so cool gave me a bunch of business advice, his phone number, told me I could use his shop, and is going to plug me across his social media of 8M. I'm still in shock.

Hang in there guys you never know when that big break is just around the corner! I quit my cubicle job as a financial analyst 5 months ago after reading Unscripted, it totally changed my mind and this could have never happened if I wouldn't have had the courage to do it!! I never thought in a million years this could happen!

instagram: ATX record players

unnamed-1.jpg

Last edited: Feb 10, 2018
    luniac, Hurley32533, WJS and 47 others like this.
  2. amp0193

amp0193 Legendary Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR

Rep Bank:
    $45,737
    Awesome progress man, congrats on making a stir!

What I love most about these big media shares is all the honest, unfiltered, feedback in the comments.

I just discovered a pain point last week I can improve after reading through 100s of comments about my product on a celebrity's page.

AgainstAllOdds, GPM, jon.a and 5 others like this.
  3. biophase

biophase Legendary Contributor I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $135,762
    Your site looks great.

My parents had a similar one to this one:

old-house-crazy-diy-restore-an-old-stereo-console-02.jpg

4. Fox

Fox Legendary Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR

Rep Bank:
    $48,293
    Great business idea! I wish you all the best.

I would take a lot at a company like Cool n Vintage (similar idea of reselling improved older items) and see how on point their social media game is. If you could step up your images and maybe even some video editing I think it go blow up big. Seems like a great niche that would have a lot of potential.

Link to their site >>> Home

AgainstAllOdds, Shea, Scot and 3 others like this.
  5. Eisenstein

Eisenstein customer is king Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER

Rep Bank:
    $344
    Congraaats!!! Well done! :)

6. Greg Rutkowski

Greg Rutkowski Act, Assess, Adjust Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $12,026
    What a neat idea!

This puts the appliance flippers to shame.

Record players are very in right now. Especially in the hipster locals of Chicago.

AgainstAllOdds, Scot and Raoul Duke like this.
  7. AllenCrawley

AllenCrawley Legendary Contributor Staff Member Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $79,546
    Man, do these bring back memories! Well done!

I'd love to have one of these.

Do you find it difficult to source these? Do you still search craigslist or do you run nationwide ads looking for them? I can imagine that you'd eventually start manufacturing your very own brand of these to offer in addition to the restored and modified players.

amp0193, AgainstAllOdds, Scot and 2 others like this.
  8. Shea

Shea Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $882
    I love it. Yea I'm going to have to step from just using my iphone at some point!

SquatchMan and Fox like this.
  9. Shea

Shea Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $882
    It's not too difficult to find them on ebay and craigslist. Jesse telling me the whole time that I need to build my own brand and build my own custom cabinets! We shall see!

10. Ravens_Shadow

Ravens_Shadow Forging My Own Reality Read Millionaire Fastlane FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $10,683
    Rep+ For solid action.

Fox and Vigilante like this.
  11. AllenCrawley

AllenCrawley Legendary Contributor Staff Member Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $79,546
    Yes, this seems like the natural progression your business will/should take.

biophase, G_Alexander, akotu and 2 others like this.
  12. evlttwin

evlttwin It's A Long Way To The Top.... Read Millionaire Fastlane FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $477
    This is THE definition of social proof. When Jesse James approves, well, that is the GOLD standard right there.

Congrats man. You can get input from the man himself when you decide to build your own brand. Priceless.

jon2089 and SquatchMan like this.
  13. SquatchMan

SquatchMan Silver Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $5,007
    This thread has the beginnings of a Gold progress thread. Good job. Also looks like the beginning of a productocracy.

That sounds like solid advice. What other advice on brand building did he offer?

For those unfamiliar with Jesse James. He is a good marketer/brand builder. From the Wikipedia article on West Coast Choppers:

Kid likes this.
  14. evlttwin

evlttwin It's A Long Way To The Top.... Read Millionaire Fastlane FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $477

AgainstAllOdds and Shea like this.
  15. Shea

Shea Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $882

He asked me what my last name was. "Henning" I said, then he was like "Henning HI-Fi". He went on that the German name would also be perfect name for fancy font.

cmor16, Scot, SquatchMan and 2 others like this.
  16. minivanman

minivanman Silver Contributor Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $3,192
    I love that 1960's Telefunkin! Most of our house is decorated mid-century. The problem with what we have is that the pieces are mostly new but made to look mid-century. We love that look! Great job!

Scot, AgainstAllOdds and Shea like this.
  17. AgainstAllOdds

AgainstAllOdds Legendary Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR

Rep Bank:
    $44,855
    Great job @Shea ! I hope your business continues to prosper.

If you want to go about making these in China, the logistics would be fairly simple.

The Guangzhou area has a lot of cabinet makers.
    Shenzhen has all the electronic equipment makers.

A 1-2 week trip and you can likely line up the electronics + cabinet partners.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2018
    Scot, Shea and AllenCrawley like this.
  18. G_Alexander

G_Alexander Does it Cash Flow? Read Millionaire Fastlane FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $22,064
    Cool thread, @Shea. I'll be following along.

I think HENNING on it's own sounds good enough for a high-quality record player/cabinet business.

For your niche, I'd recommend keeping manufacturing here in the USA and selling at a higher price point/margin than other vintage refurb resellers (your cabs would be brand new, with the same high-quality craftsmanship and materials...so higher value). People are picky when it comes to quality speakers, hence the reason the GERMANS and AMERICANS lead the way (Bose, etc.). Most of BOSE's manufacturing takes place in US/Mexico (with a bit in Malaysia).

Building your own brand and production will cut lead times/delivery to customers, and ensure you won't run out of refurb stock (or have to keep hunting for it).

Go watch 'The Profit' episode on C&C Drums to get an idea of what a U.S. based manufacturing operation for custom drums looks like (similar materials, minus the electronics). Could be helpful I think if you decide to go that route.

Good luck!

Scot, Shea, Azure and 3 others like this.
  19. Shea

Shea Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $882
    Update: I called Mcintosh Laboratories and they're going to hook me up with a Mcintosh amplifier to go with Jesse's record console in exchange for social media plugs. Also, the CEO wants to fly in and deliver it to him.....

holy sh*t guys... I might meet the leader in audio too!!

Last edited: Feb 14, 2018 at 6:13 PM
    cmor16, Scot, biophase and 4 others like this.