The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

I've sold over $1,000,000 in products - Cool right?

TheGuru

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
410%
Feb 19, 2015
Australia
Hey guys!

I joined this forum a few years ago and have never contributed or even stuck around for more than 5 minutes to make a post. Don't ask me why. I have no idea.

First things first I'm not a guru, I despise them and I can only assume I chose that username in 2015 because I was drunk or a comedian for a day.

Anyway, Here's my short story.

I'm in my late twenties and based in Western Australia - Moving to the East Coast soon.

-I've been involved in eCommerce (not Amazon) for about 8 years - wow
-I'm self taught - wow
-I've sold over $1,000,000 in products on the internet - wow ("sales" mean nothing)
-bla bla

I've acquired a lot of skills over the last 8 years and I'm still no where near where I need to be to be "successful".

My biggest problem is comfort and lack of motivation - Does anyone else struggle with this? Any suggestions with lighting a fire to remove comfort?

I make enough to pay my bills, hit the sidewalk on the weekend and not stress too much about my finances (Until tax time - I really should start making monthly contributions)

I have no real reason to work, no real "why" and "motivation" doesn't seem to last long for me. I think that's common, but who knows.

I thought I'd get involved in the forum as I find myself slipping into a hole of loneliness and lack of real "spark". Working as a one man show for this long has taken its toll and its time to make a change and start meeting some like minded people in the same space of crushing life.

This is a down day for me so don't be too harsh, I'm normally a bit more up beat.

Hit me up if you want to talk sales, marketing, life, personal development - Anything!
Based in Australia? Give me a call, meet up for a coffee/beer.

Looking forward to being part of this community.

Thanks Guys

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

12B745

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
111%
Aug 10, 2017
US
Hey guys!

I joined this forum a few years ago and have never contributed or even stuck around for more than 5 minutes to make a post. Don't ask me why. I have no idea.

First things first I'm not a guru, I despise them and I can only assume I chose that username in 2015 because I was drunk or a comedian for a day.

I'm in my late twenties and based in Western Australia - Moving to the East Coast soon.

-I'm self taught - wow
-I've sold over $1,000,000 in products on the internet - wow ("sales" mean nothing)
-bla bla

I've acquired a lot of skills over the last 8 years and I'm still no where near where I need to be to be "successful".

My biggest problem is comfort and lack of motivation - Does anyone else struggle with this? Any suggestions with lighting a fire to remove comfort?

I make enough to pay my bills, hit the sidewalk on the weekend and not stress too much about my finances (Until tax time - I really should start making monthly contributions)

I have no real reason to work, no real "why" and "motivation" doesn't seem to last long for me. I think that's common, but who knows.

I thought I'd get involved in the forum as I find myself slipping into a hole of loneliness and lack of real "spark". Working as a one man show for this long has taken its toll and its time to make a change and start meeting some like minded people in the same space of crushing life.

This is a down day for me so don't be too harsh, I'm normally a bit more up beat.

Hit me up if you want to talk sales, marketing, life, personal development - Anything!

Thanks Guys
If you wouldn't mind me asking, how much did you invest into your product before selling it? What was the trademarking or patent process like?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

jon.M

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
343%
Jul 4, 2016
Sweden
Welcome to the forum. Looking forward to seing your contributions on the board.

Why don't you read this story by @Andy Black (It's not really motivational, but I think it's still helpful in a way):
Clarity of Purpose

TheGuru

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
410%
Feb 19, 2015
Australia
If you wouldn't mind me asking, how much did you invest into your product before selling it? What was the trademarking or patent process like?

Hey mate, the answer to that question is $0.

For any business I decide to take on, I ensure I can actually sell the item before I even think about purchasing it. Validating a business idea is the most important step IMO.

Once validated, I'll start off with small wholesale purchases until I can get some traction and then I'll look to buy more quantity at lower rates.

I mainly work with private labeling already existing products. They already exist, I just give them a cooler brand and out market other companies. OR I launch them in countries where the product has never been seen before.

I always make sure I'm not breaking any patent or trademark law before I sell any product.

Once I have the brand making some money, I trademark my brand. The product isn't the business, the brand is.

Hopefully that answers your question.

Last edited:

12B745

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
111%
Aug 10, 2017
US

For any business I decide to take on, I ensure I can actually sell the item before I even think about purchasing it. Validating a business idea is the most important step IMO.

Once validated, I'll start off with small wholesale purchases until I can get some traction and then I'll look to buy more quantity at lower rates.

I mainly work with private labeling already existing products. They already exist, I just give them a cooler brand and out market other companies. OR I laugh them in countries where the product has never been seen before.

I always make sure I'm not breaking any patent or trademark law before I sell any product.

Once I have the brand making some money, I trademark my brand. The product isn't the business, the brand is.

Hopefully that answers your question.
I really appreciate your response. These are some things I'll definitely be needing to look into as well.

TheGuru

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
410%
Feb 19, 2015
Australia
Welcome to the forum. Looking forward to seing your contributions on the board.

Why don't you read this story by @Andy Black (It's not really motivational, but I think it's still helpful in a way):
Clarity of Purpose

Hey Jon, That's a great read, I took some good lessons from it.

I've definitely got to work on this issue. My problem is I have absolutely no interest in the products I sell, I don't care about my customer and their need for the product. I simply find a great niche and I market a great product, but its very hard to get excited about it.

I know its not my true calling, I need a massive shake up. But this business is the closest thing I have to the fastlane. It has kept me away from the slowlane for more than 5 years and Its been great. I can never go back. I just need a more compelling reason or a product that I feel proud to market.

I'm so against consumerism that selling consumer products feels like it goes against what I stand for.

Still hunting for that business idea that aligns with my true values. In the mean time I'll keep going with eCommerce, I'm very grateful for where it has taken me and what it has helped me to escape (the rat race).

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I was asked a great thought-provoking question a while back:

“If money was no object, what work would you be doing?”

Then he asked:

“What’s stopping you?”

You don’t have to answer, but maybe mull them over for a while.

The second radio interview in my signature might help too. I think I rambled on about motivation.

Tommo

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
168%
Jan 21, 2018
Perth Australia
i'L
Hey guys!

-I'm self taught - wow
-bla bla

Thanks Guys
I'll contact you sometime for a beer and a coffee. I'm stuck in the Red Centre presently plotting away for when my contract is over. Maybe we can bounce ideas off each other sometime.
Cheers and have a good Anzac Day tomorrow.
Tommo

SquatchMan

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
383%
Dec 27, 2016
Nowhere
Hey Jon, That's a great read, I took some good lessons from it.

I've definitely got to work on this issue. My problem is I have absolutely no interest in the products I sell, I don't care about my customer and their need for the product. I simply find a great niche and I market a great product, but its very hard to get excited about it.

I know its not my true calling, I need a massive shake up. But this business is the closest thing I have to the fastlane. It has kept me away from the slowlane for more than 5 years and Its been great. I can never go back. I just need a more compelling reason or a product that I feel proud to market.

I'm so against consumerism that selling consumer products feels like it goes against what I stand for.

Still hunting for that business idea that aligns with my true values. In the mean time I'll keep going with eCommerce, I'm very grateful for where it has taken me and what it has helped me to escape (the rat race).

Have you considered creating your own products that solve problems you have in your hobbies/interests?

Right now you're just outmarketing the competition and not creating anything new yourself (besides a brand). Right?

If you created a brand new product that you could call your own and that solves a big problem, then I think you'd see more motivation.

There are a few Gold threads on the Inside by @Vick and @Scot about their journey creating new products that solve real problems. The response from the market seems like it'd provide plenty of motivation to keep going forward.

TheGuru

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
410%
Feb 19, 2015
Australia
I was asked a great thought-provoking question a while back:

“If money was no object, what work would you be doing?”

Then he asked:

“What’s stopping you?”

You don’t have to answer, but maybe mull them over for a while.

The second radio interview in my signature might help too. I think I rambled on about motivation.

I love that quote! I haven't heard it in a long time - Thanks for reminding me about it. I'll also check out the radio interview.

@Tommo - Ahh damn, I'm over in Brisbane for a couple of weeks. Definitely keen to catch up when I'm back though. I'll hit you up. Hope your Anzac day is a good one also.

TheGuru

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
410%
Feb 19, 2015
Australia
Hey @SquatchMan
I know exactly what you're saying and I agree with you 100%. Selling other peoples products doesn't really get me fired up like "creating" does.

I guess it really comes down to:

-Do I want to make some money and use that money to create a lifestyle for the future?
-Or do I want to worry about my day to day feelings and constant struggle to feel like I'm passionate about my business?

Depending on my mood I could choose either/or.

I guess its a balancing act that will come with time.

Having these conversations is definitely helping. I appreciate talking it out with you.

IGP

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
276%
Aug 24, 2015
Yes, I've felt like this and still do sometimes.

I'm married with two kids, so it's not as simple for me to just "go do whatever makes me happy". I mean playing golf and drinking beer wont pay the rent. haha.

Seriously though, what you need to do is find a way to separate yourself from working in that business. This is what I would do, put someone in place to work on it for you and keep the revenue coming in on auto-pilot.

Then move on to what makes you happy and if it's lower pay, it won't matter because you have residual income coming in.

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
343%
May 21, 2011
Hey guys!

-I'm self taught - wow
-bla bla

Thanks Guys

Your motivation should come from understanding your whole financial success is built on top of sand. Your motivation to kill it every day should be the desire to build a moat so wide and large that nothing in the future can ever take you backwards, only forward.

Bennu

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
273%
Apr 19, 2018
Hey there! I've been pretty anti-consumerism my whole life as well, with a severe aversion to marketing and sales. However, I've realized lately that if I am truly providing something helpful, then learning that stuff to help as many as possible is only a good thing!

You said that you don't really care about the customers and just find niches to sell. That could be the core of why you've felt a lack of motivation. Not trying to judge here, just hoping that you find something that can help folks and thereby find a bit of passion and motivation again!

Good to meet you!

TheGuru

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
410%
Feb 19, 2015
Australia
Yes, I've felt like this and still do sometimes.

I'm married with two kids, so it's not as simple for me to just "go do whatever makes me happy". I mean playing golf and drinking beer wont pay the rent. haha.

Seriously though, what you need to do is find a way to separate yourself from working in that business. This is what I would do, put someone in place to work on it for you and keep the revenue coming in on auto-pilot.

Then move on to what makes you happy and if it's lower pay, it won't matter because you have residual income coming in.

You are right, I'm in the process of trying to remove myself from the business, its just taking way longer than expected. That's definitely the right way to go about things.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Welcome aboard my friend. Another doer! Hope you find the community helpful.

IGP

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
276%
Aug 24, 2015
You are right, I'm in the process of trying to remove myself from the business, its just taking way longer than expected. That's definitely the right way to go about things.

You need to have systems & processes for each scenario, which should be the easy part. The hard part is finding a good person you can trust and putting them in a position to run everything.

This is one of my sites from last year... I hired 1 employee to do customer service, shipping and fulfillment in Dec 2016 - So, basically "training" for an entire year.

2017.jpg

This is this 2018 YTD..
2018.jpg

We are actually little bit more efficient net profit wise, but less ad spend and me doing nothing other than place the orders to China and monitor ads (literally a few hours a week max)

She handles everything else... soup to nuts!

Quenel

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Jan 9, 2015
Hey mate,
I have been browsing this forum for years now but never been one to actually post. This post for some reason really hit home with me as I was only thinking very similar thoughts just a few days ago.

I am based in Brisbane and have a few projects on the go. Also in the process of finding something "meaningful" that drives me a little more. Just thought I would say if you are ever in the Brisbane area and want to meet up for a coffee and a chat feel free to hit me up. It's amazing how much a good chat can get you moving in the right direction.

TheGuru

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
410%
Feb 19, 2015
Australia
You need to have systems & processes for each scenario, which should be the easy part. The hard part is finding a good person you can trust and putting them in a position to run everything.

This is one of my sites from last year... I hired 1 employee to do customer service, shipping and fulfillment in Dec 2016 - So, basically "training" for an entire year.

View attachment 19232

This is this 2018 YTD..
View attachment 19233

We are actually little bit more efficient net profit wise, but less ad spend and me doing nothing other than place the orders to China and monitor ads (literally a few hours a week max)

She handles everything else... soup to nuts!

That's awesome man, it looks good YTD, you won't finish too far behind the year before. But as you said much less hands on which is perfect.

What do you pay your VA/employee?

An issue I'm finding is not being able to give them enough hours. I've automated so much that there isn't much to do. Sometimes I need them 20 hours in the week and sometimes 3 hours.

I think I need to come up with a strategy for freelancing tasks out rather than having an employee. Or hire someone worth a bit of money so they can help me expand the business, and not just do the basic customer service and fulfillment work. You get what you pay for I guess.

IGP

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
276%
Aug 24, 2015
That's awesome man, it looks good YTD, you won't finish too far behind the year before. But as you said much less hands on which is perfect.

What do you pay your VA/employee?

An issue I'm finding is not being able to give them enough hours. I've automated so much that there isn't much to do. Sometimes I need them 20 hours in the week and sometimes 3 hours.

I think I need to come up with a strategy for freelancing tasks out rather than having an employee. Or hire someone worth a bit of money so they can help me expand the business, and not just do the basic customer service and fulfillment work. You get what you pay for I guess.

She is local and I pay her $16/hr... but my situation is different because I import and these products need to be put together a little bit before they are sold. This is 100% FB ads... So, there is a lot of BS work to do with messages, comments, support etc. I trust her with thousands in inventory, so I dont mind paying a bit more.

I also have multiple sites, so she works on other stuff too.

However, even if she only worked on this site and I payed her 35K-40K/year, the site would still generate $100K+ in net profit (I still have operating expenses etc.) and I don't do anything. ;)

Jordan James

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Jul 13, 2017
Perth, Western Australia
Hey mate

I'm in WA also, are you in Perth?

Thanks for your post, really great read. I've been a lurker on this forum for a while now too, it's awesome to see someone else from WA going after the fastlane lifestyle!

I've been running an events hire business here for about 5 years, it allows me to work about 2 days a week and escape the rat race. Still pretty limited as far as scalability is concerned though.

I've been slowly putting together another business in my spare time selling a digital product online, I'm starting to have some small wins with this which is encouraging.

Would love to grab a beer/coffee sometime if you're up for it?

cappirx

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
Mar 16, 2018
Austria

Hey, congrats on your success! Just a quick question - could you please share your method of validating a business or product idea?

Before deciding for my niche, I was thinking about setting up a mockup website and run some FB ads to see if people would be interested. But then again, setting up a quality looking mockup takes almost as much time as setting up the real thing, so I decided against it.

I didn't validate my idea, but I'm pretty sure that it'll work, because the I chose a sub-nice in an evergreen market. Nevertheless, I'd be interested to know more about testing product/business ideas.

Thanks!

ygtrhos

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
135%
Dec 27, 2016
Hey guys!

-I'm self taught - wow
-bla bla

Thanks Guys

Hey dude!

First of all, thanks for being so open and authentic.

I understand that you have a problem of WHY.

I have not solved that problem myself but I have to say that you might need a pattern break maybe. There are tons of stuff you can do in different parts of the world. Maybe you should take on a month's trip to some destination not in the first world?

I see this problem of WHY in many Westerners. I think you guys do not grow up with enough problems to solve.

Just my two cents, maybe it is not true for you, buy I wanted to contribute.

Greetings!

Lukebrisbane

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
113%
Feb 19, 2014
Brisbane, Australia.
Hey man,

If you come around Brisbane way I'd be keen for a beer. I dabbled in e-commerce creating a men's grooming online store that didn't work out, but I still love talk about this stuff.

-Luke

Kieran Butler

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
89%
Jun 22, 2017
Ireland
Namaste Guru :) nice intro & I get you when you said:

Had this feeling for the last few years and finding my 'WHY' became a bit of an obsession, I really do think it's a major problem with a lot of people. Anyway I came up with this 2 page pdf so rather than regurgitate it, here's a link.
https://thecaptainslog.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/discover-your-inner-compass.pdf

It's a little old now but hopefully it might be of some help to you.

Anyway don't give up until you find it :)

All the best

ProcessPro

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
121%
Apr 26, 2018
Hey guys!

-I'm self taught - wow
-bla bla

Thanks Guys

Hey TheGuru. I have the same problem. My mother is currently supporting me and I get an allowance. I've been conditioned by life to be very content with everything. I know intellectually, if I don't build a business, I'd fall into the scripted life in the future, but that often doesn't drive me enough. In the day to day reality, sometimes the mediocre comfort is enough to keep me from taking real action. What I have found helpful is the website stickk.com. In March, I put a lot of my savings on the line and made a commitment to get X amount of work done, otherwise I would lose the money. I had a real life accountability partner linked to the stickk account as well to ensure that I was being honest. Rest assured, I worked hard for 23 days straight and got my work done.

The principle is a powerful one. Put something you really value on the line as you make a commitment and have someone who is 'harsh' enough to follow through with your commitment if you fail; no pity, no giving you back your money, or your sentimental journal/photos or whatever you choose. There were many days I did not feel like it, but when I thought of losing the money, I got started on my work anyway. The secret is, often starting was the hardest part. Once I started it got easier; it wasn't so bad.

Hope that helps.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...