• The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success
  1. Join 40,000+ entrepreneurs
    who are kicking butt and
    winning their dream life.

Unscripted™ Entrepreneurship:
    A Business That Pays More Than Money, It Pays Time.

"Fastlane" is an entrepreneur discussion forum based on The Unscripted Entrepreneurial Framework (TUNEF) outlined in the two best-selling books by MJ DeMarco (The Millionaire Fastlane and UNSCRIPTED™). From multimillionaires to digital nomads, the forum features real entrepreneurs creating real businesses.

Download (Unscripted) Download (Millionaire Fastlane)  Register
    Registering for the forum removes this block!

I've been a loser now I MUST find a solution! Any advice?

Discussion in 'General Mindset, Motivation, Beliefs' started by Alexx, May 5, 2018.

1. Kid

Kid Bronze Contributor Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $768
    [QUOTE="Alexx, post: 692570, member: 56482"
    Any advice?[/QUOTE]

Make a course on "How to stop being loser"

Late Bloomer likes this.
  2. Alexx

Alexx Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $116
    Make a course on "How to stop being loser"[/QUOTE]

hahah great business idea for an info product ! How I've changed my mindset during my journey! lol

Kid and Late Bloomer like this.
  3. Alexx

Alexx Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $116
    Thank you man! This is a great reply!

Even If I finish my degree, it will make me some money but since I hate it I will be miserable and not in the top of that field (IT).

I want to be the best so that's why I'm confused on the field , if I choose sales I must become the best at it and dropout everything else.

Like another entrepreneur told me sometime ago: do or don't do, there is no try.

Now I'm realizing it's true!!

4. AlessioLC

AlessioLC Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $1,946
    As you now mention that you're in IT, i would not dropout before seeing any field possible.
    What if you don't like it NOW but at the end you'll do something you love and bring money and could potentially put you in a place where there's plenty of entrepreneurs..

Think about this before anything, is there an activity that i would do in IT that will be available at the end of my degree, is it worth it ? (your choice)

Be sure that there's money to be made in Sales, but there's also a big crowd there ready to eat you alive, it's business too.
    I'm confused too, i chose R.E because that the first opportunity that was in front of me, if someday i have something better i would be dumb to refuse the opportunity.

Chose if possible a field where you got some interest, at least a bit.

This quote is 100% true, it's hard to go all in sometimes, but might be worth it.

Don't rush your decision, take time to think about it, go for a running, a walk to clear your head, get a piece of paper and a pen and write down what you want from life, from your career and your interest.

Who you are, what type of personnality > which job/business could suits you ? > Multi employees business or 1-3/5 employees..

Late Bloomer likes this.
  5. Late Bloomer

Late Bloomer Gold Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $7,603
    This attitude might be holding you back. Be good enough, at enough good stuff.

McDonald's is clearly NOT the best hamburger in town. But it's often the best clean, bright place to grab a diet coke for a buck and hang out a while to check your email. US Postal Service is NOT the best overnight delivery service. Domino's is NOT the most delicious authentic Chicago style pizza. Walmart is NOT the most delightful shopping expedition. Honda Accord is NOT the fastest acceleration, best corner handling car on the market. But they all sell in the millions, because they're good enough to get the job done.

Pick something you can do well enough, get some success at it, and then do more of whatever you discover people like to buy from you.

This could be some trial and error, you know. The McDonald brothers sold hot dogs and barbeque at first until they realized people only really bought about five things from them all the time. Honda only made motorcycles for almost two decades before their first car. They did something, good enough, until they figured out what was their own personal best.

Unlike many professors, the bank gives you no bonus if you had to struggle to get things done, or if you did something that was just good enough... to make a sale.

6. Late Bloomer

Rep Bank:
    $7,603
    IT is a huge field with many different types of jobs in many different types of companies.

There are IT companies where everyone goes home promptly at 5 on Friday. There are companies where everyone stays late Friday for the beer bash.

There are companies where everyone wears suits and they sell to bankers. There are IT companies where everyone wears shorts and their software is for surfers. Also, banks have internal IT departments. I worked at one where everyone wore polo shirts and khakis. There are sportswear companies with internal IT departments, where half of the coders might be marathon runners.

There are IT people who write code all day and never talk to anyone. There are IT people who talk to people all day and never write any code.

There are IT teams who have the day together at picnic tables in the bullpen. There are IT teams on different continents who meet in person once a year.

There are IT shops that are all Mac and everyone's memos have the coolest fonts. There are IT shops that are all Mainframe and everyone's emails have the same standard font.

There are IT people paid 100% on commission. There are IT people who have a great 401k plan. There are IT people who work half the year, for a different company each year, for a full time income. There are IT people who transferred to a different division within Microsoft for a 30 year run at the same company.

How can you say you'll have nothing but hatred for ALL of it?

I think you should finish your degree and get job placement help from the school. Take anything that gets you in motion, learning about business life, sales, and more about the world of IT.

Kid likes this.
  7. Alexx

Alexx Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $116
    Thanks. I don't fear sales, I'm ready to work hard. Good thing about thinking more about a decision and not rushing, I must have a clear mind.

Late Bloomer likes this.
  8. Alexx

Alexx Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $116
    Thank you mr Late Bloomer. You are a kind man.
    I think my only problem is to focus.

I've tried last day to study an algorithms for 1 hour and finally I understood that! But after that hour, I took some relax time, then went back studying and I couldn't understand a code about a difficult algorithm and I had like a panick attack lol

I went out of the classroom and I couldn't study for all day anymore.

Coding for me is a big struggle and also focus but I see I have a "natural" gift that I can talk to everyone and I like being empathetic with people, that's why I've been thinking about sales.

9. Alexx

Alexx Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $116
    Thank you mr Late Bloomer. You are a kind man.
    I think my only problem is to focus.

I've tried last day to study an algorithms for 1 hour and finally I understood that! But after that hour, I took some relax time, then went back studying and I couldn't understand a code about a difficult algorithm and I had like a panick attack lol

I went out of the classroom and I couldn't study for all day anymore.

Coding for me is a big struggle and also focus but I see I have a "natural" gift that I can talk to everyone and I like being empathetic with people, that's why I've been thinking about sales.
    That's also what I'm trying to do other than college mr Bloomer.

I spend my late nights studying on youtube, reading books about business, marketing, sales etc and then go to class in the morning.

I know I need good practice in order to become great.

Do you know the 10'000 hours rule ? Do you think is it true?

10. Late Bloomer

Rep Bank:
    $7,603
    Is the difficulty with focus, also present when you learn about dealing with people? When you read books, watch videos, have conversations about marketing, presentations, closing, customer service, etc. do you zone out after 20 minutes? Or is that only with code?

Some people simply don't have the capacity to become great coders. Everyone's awful at something. My lousy skills include that I never learned to properly throw a football so it has a spiral. You could have a super bowl champion coach me daily and I still wouldn't get it, I just can't get my elbow and wrist to do exactly the right things.

In code, I think the break comes with pointers. If you were given a whiteboard and markers, could you diagram inserting to a linked list? Or how a retrieval tree uses a hash of the key to designate a starting bucket, then some nodes have contents dereferenced as pointers to the addresses of subsequent child nodes? Or does your mind just close down at that no matter what you do with that kind of material?

If your brain just plain crashes on this stuff, try a class in SQL databases. And if that makes your brain crash too, then maybe you should have a career where you empathetically talk with people, and you work with coders who loved to learn more about algorithms because it comes easy for them.

Malcolm Gladwell referred to 10,000 hours of practice to become a world-class expert. For example, the Beatles already had that much time on stage before they began their recording career. I think you don't need to worry about it. Find some things you're good at without a struggle, and learn how to monetize them from good enough work to get paid.

11. Alexx

Alexx Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $116
    Thank you man. I'd say that when I study at nights and do projects that I really like so internet marketing etc I don't lose any focus, sometimes I can stay up all night without losing focus and I don't realized time passes..

I'm a terrible student in college of computer science, I can undestand some coding but I know that I won't be the best at it, I suck at it and I like to work with people rather than computers.

Yes, actually I'd love to manage a coding team instead of being the coder lol

Late Bloomer and LaraJF like this.
  12. scott.legendre

scott.legendre Bronze Contributor Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $843
    listen and learn about David Goggins, he's the guy who will get you out of your loser sh*t talk

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78I9dTB9vqM&t=292s

If you don't know where to start, start with your health and physique. No matter what point in life you are at, you don't feel like a loser by having a 6 pack and being full of energy.

"Embrace the suck"

itech likes this.
  13. LaraJF

LaraJF Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED

Rep Bank:
    $233
    I got my BS/EE in 89 because my parents told me I should get an engineering degree because I was "good" at science and math. I've been hobbying my own business since '99, and am finally working on turning it into a business these past two years. So it's all a process.

Should you finish the degree?

Well, I would ask "What do you want to be an entrepreneur in?"

If it relates to programming/IT/electronics, then maybe finish the degree while you build up your side business. I've found that when I know the business, it's easier to understand how to outsource.

If there's one thing I've learned, just because I fail doesn't make me a failure (unless I give up).

You got this.

Late Bloomer likes this.
  14. WJK

WJK Gold Contributor Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $7,667
    Why drop out? You have a long learning curve to be ready to start your business. Finish your studies. Study business on the side and get ready to jump when the time is right.

How can you use your current education to start a business? Sit on the front row in class, and put your shoulder into it. Constantly ask yourself and your profs how you can use all this knowledge to create a good business. Read. Learn. Talk to everyone you meet. Carry a notebook and keep notes on any ideas that may become good ideas. Program your mind to work on it while you're sleeping. There is nothing new under the sun. Genius is taking existing parts and ideas, and reordering them to create something new or different. You'll know when you reach the right moment to get started.

You have an advantage that I never had -- your parents are paying your way, so you're not working on the side. What are you doing with all that free time? Don't tell me that you don't have any spare time.

(When I was your age, I carried 18 units in college and worked 32 hours a week to feed and house myself. Yes, I was very successful in my classes. I was there to learn.)

The information you'll need to create a business is free or cheap. It's all online or in ebooks. It's your choice.
    www.wjkbusinessbuzz.com

Late Bloomer likes this.
  15. Late Bloomer

Rep Bank:
    $7,603
    It doesn't necessarily require a management role. Business Analyst, Sales Engineer, Technical Marketing, Program Manager (who doesn't actually manage anything, just writes specifications), are all roles where someone only needs to understand the software enough to have a conversation about what it's supposed to do.

16. Alexx

Alexx Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $116
    That's the best gift I've ever received, this guy in the video rocks, thank you.

scott.legendre likes this.
  17. calebbschilling

calebbschilling Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $139
    Start by making better choices. Better choices that better you. Start small. Only you know what choices are good / bad for you. Trust your gut if you’re really unsure.

Late Bloomer likes this.
  18. Alexx

Alexx Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $116
    Thank you. I think I'm in the same situation like you were.

I don't have a knack for programming , for some people it comes naturally.

I'd like to work in the internet marketing business, setting up multiple ecommerce stores and so on, however I want to have complete freedom and be able to travel around the world.

I know some people that went full time with their ventures and now they are online entrepreneurs.

LaraJF and Late Bloomer like this.
  19. Alexx

Alexx Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $116
    Thank you for the kind words :)

Yeah I know internet is the best place. I usually study on youtube because unfortunately I have really bad professors and I don't understand them but I usually understand many concepts on youtube.

So even if I don't feel like I've the "gift" to be a computer scientist, I should just keep going and finish my studies?

20. Late Bloomer

Rep Bank:
    $7,603
    Can you switch to a business degree, or have your existing technical classes count towards a double major? You could take Advanced Algorithms, but if Intermediate Algorithms makes you dizzy and lost, why keep climbing the wrong ladder for you?

21. WJK

WJK Gold Contributor Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $7,667
    I don't use any of my training and education the ways people expected. I own it, and I can use it any way I see fit. So can you.
    Lean into your educational opportunity. Make friends with the profs. Ask tons of questions. Find out why you don't understand them. You may discover that they would love to help you. Maybe there's more there than you ever expected.

Oh, in the spirit of full disclosure -- I taught a little bit of college in the good 'ol days...
    www.wjkbusinessbuzz.com

Late Bloomer likes this.
  22. Harry3000

Harry3000 Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $300
    I went to University for an accounting degree. I didn't enjoy it and wasn't particularly good at it. All it took was some simple weighing up of the financial cost, my life goals and the time commitment to know that dropping out was the best decision to make.

As you said you have 60% to go. I wonder how much that will actually cost you in $$$? Worth it?

Don't let anyone tell you that a degree is a safe option. It isn't. Even if you do want a developer job, the company won't give a toss about your degree - they only care about whether you can code well, and help them to achieve their business goals. So don't worry about it.

I personally went for a sales job as I knew it was the best "job" for an aspiring entrepreneur, and from your posts I would recommend it to you. Sales jobs are not hard to get but they are hard to keep and be successful in. You'll have the opportunity to make more than the average salary with less than 1 years experience - as long as you put in the work to become great at selling whatever it is you are selling.

Then in the meantime you will get paid, have time after work to pursue entrepreneurship and won't be in debt for thousands of dollars for something you didn't even want to do.

Just my two cents :)

Fastlane Liam likes this.
  23. HugoMoreno

HugoMoreno Silver Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $3,485
    I'd suggest to listen to the audiobook Ask and It Is Given by Esther/Jerry Hicks

It will give you the "inner game" you need to be successful (talks about having faith you can accomplish something and how to have patience, etc)

then...

1. Find a business you'd like to start (youtube channel, growing medicinal herbs, being a DJ, etc)

2. After you find one you "like" (not love because the lust will run out after a month or so)

3. Study/Work on the skills you need to become successful

4. Stick to it until successful

24. Alexx

Alexx Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $116
    Yes thanks, already asked to my college department. But I'd need to start again from zero with a business degree, since I'm at 40% in computer science degree and business degree is quite different..

Also if I make a switch I will need to do everything on my own, I'm pretty sure my parents will not help me neither will not understand my choice of switching but that's ok... better to do something instead of waiting and not do anything.

25. Alexx

Alexx Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $116
    Thank you.