The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Tim Allen Jr.

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
186%
Jul 6, 2017
virginia
Hi guys,

I've recently introduced myself on that forum and i was wondering what's your thought on Coffee Shop, is it scalable or is it a dead end and a direct way to the slowlane ?

I've been a Barista for 4 years now, i know everything about coffee history and coffee industry, i'm a manager in a Coffee Shop and i run it besides the owner (my parents own it) so i know everything about how to manager suppliers, H.R, Financial ressources and everything who goes with it (Communication, Social, Events)

I deeply think that opening a Coffee Shop is too simple and that if it's too simple, everyone can copy it and maybe do better than me, and if that happen', i would be kind of stuck..
Everything i see on this forum is about bringing value to people, got no expectations from anyone, i've already got that mindset as my parents taught me it all my childhood but i'm stuck with that idea that Coffee Shop was scalable at the time where Starbucks wasn't on the French Market but market is kind of full with Starbucks who's opening like EVERYWHERE.

I could bring value in this domain because i got the knowledge and i care about my customers, my team, as much as i care about my product and quality, even if speed is the assets...but everywhere i go (coffee shop), i don't see creativity, i don't see quality, you got my point..The Sugar Franchise..Starbucks!

The only thing is, i want to create a business that can be franchisable, not that i care only about money, but money can buy your new parents house in the seaside, that's my motivation...

What's your thought on that ? Any suggestions ?
I'm good at what's from italian culture so if you got an idea(coffee,cooking,pizzas...), don't hesitate.

Thank you for taking the time to read ;)

A couple of ideas - I know a couple of people who owned and operated multiple coffee shops. Also, these ideas are based on if your parents allow.

1.) What about focusing on increasing revenue at your parents spot.
- If you can do this, you can look for shops that you feel are underutilized and instead of starting from scratch, go in knowing that you can increase revenue.

2.) Rebrand (if your parents allow) the coffee shop. This will start to get you immediately on the path of doing what's needed to franchise your business. Think marketing material, cups, plates, napkins... if you can't do that, what about paint color, aesthetics, quality control. Apply for a franchisee for another company - just so you can see what goes into 'creating a franchise'.

3.) Ask your parents to take over EVERYTHING for a week or so (again if they allow). The mental exhaustion that comes with truly having to 'run' your own business is something you are not prepared for unless you're doing it. This way you have a full picture of what you can and can't do well and where you know you'll run into trouble.

4.) Try incorporating different products to sell to see how good you are with innovating new items into an established shop. You mentioned creativity, you have an easy opportunity to test before you jump (invaluable).

5.) Remember - creativity is only valuable if your consumers find it valuable - this goes with above, but unless you know with some degree of certainty that 'your' creativity is wanted, be careful.

6.) Look back on anyone who you 'hired' - how did they work out - hiring will be crucial to your endeavor, identify where you suck and fix it immediately before you do your own thing. This really applies to anything, lol.

7.) Try cutting costs at your parents shop by 1-5%. This again will force you to think of ways to save on expenses that you will have to do when you do your own thing. Also, if you can do this as well as #1, you open another world of locations because you've proven to yourself you can increase sales and reduce expenses in even less than ideal 'locations'

8.) Look for unique opportunities that lessen your risk. For instance: property managers hate leaving spaces open, i've known people who were able to negotiate great rent just by pitching them 'your place wont be empty during crucial summer months'. Office buildings, hospitals, libraries, universities.... unique opportunities to start small and scale.

It can def. be fastlane.... if done right..... but very possible. Good luck!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

rollerskates

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
269%
Jan 10, 2017
Texas
opening a Coffee Shop is too simple and that if it's too simple, everyone can copy it and maybe do better than me

If you can get the customer's name on their cups and properly make their order, you are way ahead of most of them. Excellence of execution will help you succeed in a crowded market. I went to Beelzebucks today and it was like a Laurel and Hardy skit. The big downside of low unemployment...

Iammelissamoore

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
239%
Sep 23, 2014
Trinidad and Tobago
The aspect of coffee as a business doesn't only come in the form of having a coffee shop.

There is the option of becoming a supplier; there is the option of building a coffee brand as a product; there is the option of creating a product which uses coffee and marketing it; however, regardless of the route you choose, the bottom-line comes down to the CENTS Commandments, in addition to that, what isn't being done in the industry that you can introduce and how can you add value to it to make it beneficial for your customers?

Honestly, if we think about it, any business is scalable, once it follows the CENTS principles, brings Value to the customer and genuinely change their lives. A lot of people are willing to spend their last dime on experiences that create life-long memories than other things.

Often times, regardless of what product/service/business we choose to go into, the bottom-line is how will it add, change and empower our customers to be and feel better? How does it help place them on the pedestal they belong on?

Tim Allen Jr.

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
186%
Jul 6, 2017
virginia
The aspect of coffee as a business doesn't only come in the form of having a coffee shop.

There is the option of becoming a supplier; there is the option of building a coffee brand as a product; there is the option of creating a product which uses coffee and marketing it; however, regardless of the route you choose, the bottom-line comes down to the CENTS Commandments, in addition to that, what isn't being done in the industry that you can introduce and how can you add value to it to make it beneficial for your customers?

Honestly, if we think about it, any business is scalable, once it follows the CENTS principles, brings Value to the customer and genuinely change their lives. A lot of people are willing to spend their last dime on experiences that create life-long memories than other things.

Often times, regardless of what product/service/business we choose to go into, the bottom-line is how will it add, change and empower our customers to be and feel better? How does it help place them on the pedestal they belong on?

Solid thought on coming at the problem a different way - didn't even think of the supplier side. SOLID.

TheSmokey1

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
315%
Jul 11, 2017
The World
...Again, normal Café/Brasserie in France are Basic and don't provide any drinks you can get in a Coffee Shop excepted shitty Coffee/Espresso so i don't count them as competitors, because Coffee Shop got their own market and clients.

Sounds like you are pretty far along in the process, and have made up your mind. I wish you the best of luck. I don't know anything about owning a coffee shop or cafe, so I can't help you there. But, I have been to France multiple times, and will be there again. A few quick comments:

- There is a lot of competition. It seems like no matter where you are, you can throw a rock and hit 3 coffee shops. For me, the cafes are virtually nameless and interchangeable. Aside from a few that really stood out, I couldn't name most of them, or identify them at all, even ones I enjoyed. I would think you would want to do something really unique (maybe your vintage/bespoke idea) to stand out. For most people, I think they pick whichever place is in their line-of-sight when they get hungry.
- You may not count the other shops as competition, but it's your potential customers who will make that decision for you. Everyone I know who goes into business thinks they are better than their competition or they wouldn't be doing it. Just don't let it make you over-confident and underestimate the competition.

I'm not try to discourage you at all. I would put a lot of thought into not being just another "me too" shop.

ALC

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
99%
Jul 19, 2017
France
If you can get the customer's name on their cups and properly make their order, you are way ahead of most of them. Excellence of execution will help you succeed in a crowded market. I went to Beelzebucks today and it was like a Laurel and Hardy skit. The big downside of low unemployment...
I'm already doing that in my parent's Coffee Shop, the execution is perfect, because everything is controlled, speed but quality.

ALC

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
99%
Jul 19, 2017
France
A couple of ideas - I know a couple of people who owned and operated multiple coffee shops. Also, these ideas are based on if your parents allow.

1.) What about focusing on increasing revenue at your parents spot.
- If you can do this, you can look for shops that you feel are underutilized and instead of starting from scratch, go in knowing that you can increase revenue.

2.) Rebrand (if your parents allow) the coffee shop. This will start to get you immediately on the path of doing what's needed to franchise your business. Think marketing material, cups, plates, napkins... if you can't do that, what about paint color, aesthetics, quality control. Apply for a franchisee for another company - just so you can see what goes into 'creating a franchise'.

3.) Ask your parents to take over EVERYTHING for a week or so (again if they allow). The mental exhaustion that comes with truly having to 'run' your own business is something you are not prepared for unless you're doing it. This way you have a full picture of what you can and can't do well and where you know you'll run into trouble.

4.) Try incorporating different products to sell to see how good you are with innovating new items into an established shop. You mentioned creativity, you have an easy opportunity to test before you jump (invaluable).

5.) Remember - creativity is only valuable if your consumers find it valuable - this goes with above, but unless you know with some degree of certainty that 'your' creativity is wanted, be careful.

6.) Look back on anyone who you 'hired' - how did they work out - hiring will be crucial to your endeavor, identify where you suck and fix it immediately before you do your own thing. This really applies to anything, lol.

7.) Try cutting costs at your parents shop by 1-5%. This again will force you to think of ways to save on expenses that you will have to do when you do your own thing. Also, if you can do this as well as #1, you open another world of locations because you've proven to yourself you can increase sales and reduce expenses in even less than ideal 'locations'

8.) Look for unique opportunities that lessen your risk. For instance: property managers hate leaving spaces open, i've known people who were able to negotiate great rent just by pitching them 'your place wont be empty during crucial summer months'. Office buildings, hospitals, libraries, universities.... unique opportunities to start small and scale.

It can def. be fastlane.... if done right..... but very possible. Good luck!

1 : I don't own the franchise or the Coffee Shop, if it was our franchise, for sure i will be out there and trying to scale the project but the owners are thinking differently or are maybe stuck in the process.
My parents Coffee Shop already doing a great job, we are way better than everyone, because we provide value to client : product that wasn't on the market before we came, great service...

2: Again, i can't rebrand, not my franchise, you bet i've been asking them many times, with not just ideas but real things with like, new cup design (WAY MUCH attractive), new drinks or new logo, none of that have been accepted by the owner of the franchise, but all the other people who own a shop from this franchise find my work amazing....again, i would do better than them because there sleeping on what have been made but imagine if i start my own business, i will beat them in no time.

3: Already done, i'm managing it (financially, H.R, suppliers...)

4/5: Before we start any product, we're prodiving samples to client for free and ask them for feedbacks, real feedbacks on their thought about the product.
Already searching for new product every day.

6: I will only need an accountant, everything else is under control.
7: Reduces cost is a real deal, as well as discussing pricing with suppliers, showing them numbers and them ask them for a lower price...more difficult than you think but can be done.
8: In my case where i'm searching for a commercial space in the South of France, there is not even one space available with the features i'm searching for, i'm waiting for the good one, in 2 weeks i'm gonna start to "Door to Door" and tell to people that i'm searching for a commercial space and if they sell, they should call me before going in a agency..

For sure it can be Fastlane!

Last edited:

ALC

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
99%
Jul 19, 2017
France
Less staff > less taxes...staff cost so much ! That's why we don't got so much people behind the bar, trust me sometime we wish we could have someone only behind the cash register, so much customers

ALC

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
99%
Jul 19, 2017
France

We only got one big supplier for Coffee Shop here in France, the second one is growing and just invest in 10 millions to grow faster and add more product, but again he is not telling on articles / interview what are his plans for the future (is he just investing in truck to deliver faster or is he investing 10m to grow his stockage space to add more products...)

Product with Coffee are everywhere, i don't think we got any opportunity here, and don't find it attractive.
The only other thing is being a Coffee Shop Supplier but how do you start from scratch when you have to get many product in your catalog to attract clients ?
I don't think the Bank will lend me 1/2 millions like that..

I would say not so much excepted doing way better than them, but if i want to be different from the market, i'll just have to add Nitro Coffee / Specialty Coffee Drinks (Slow Coffee) because nobody is doing that, but again, Specialty Coffee is not a thing here excepted in Paris where you got UK/USA people who know these drinks and buy them. Otherwise, people here just want a great places, great drinks, great service and authenticity, i can bring that with my ideas of italian culture and my knowledge/creativity.

Where i want to open my Coffee Shop, people are moving from one place to other because, one got Coffee and food but don't get fruits or Milkshakes, or one got Milkshakes and Coffee but don't have any foods (because they are lazy and don't want to deal with suppliers)

My place will get everything, because i know how to get everything in one place, it's difficult but when you're used to it, it can be done at any time.

ALC

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
99%
Jul 19, 2017
France
Sounds like you are pretty far along in the process, and have made up your mind. I wish you the best of luck. I don't know anything about owning a coffee shop or cafe, so I can't help you there. But, I have been to France multiple times, and will be there again. A few quick comments:

- There is a lot of competition. It seems like no matter where you are, you can throw a rock and hit 3 coffee shops. For me, the cafes are virtually nameless and interchangeable. Aside from a few that really stood out, I couldn't name most of them, or identify them at all, even ones I enjoyed. I would think you would want to do something really unique (maybe your vintage/bespoke idea) to stand out. For most people, I think they pick whichever place is in their line-of-sight when they get hungry.
- You may not count the other shops as competition, but it's your potential customers who will make that decision for you. Everyone I know who goes into business thinks they are better than their competition or they wouldn't be doing it. Just don't let it make you over-confident and underestimate the competition.

I'm not try to discourage you at all. I would put a lot of thought into not being just another "me too" shop.
True, but what if i get the perfect location where people walk by everyday and see me everyday ? Again we got Facebook ads to help to show people what we are doing and where we are, the big deal is to not being to far from where their habits are..that's where i'm stuck because i don't have any commercial space in my hand for the moment.

For sure i will do something unique, people don't want normal, they want something where they can come everyday and tell themselves "this place is beautiful" "the drinks are very good and the staff is very talented"

I'm not over confident, i just see an opportunity where nobody seems to see it..
And yes, Starbucks is HUGE and plan to grow in France, but as i said, Starbucks is not so appreciated by everyone, only for the instagram generation kids who want the logo on their insta profil page lol.

Our Coffee Shop customers have tried Starbucks and they told us they will never go back to that place again, service is zero, staff is incompetend (college student, not actual Baristas) and they prefer us way more than them.
For the products, for having real Baristas behind the bar and for doing homemade when Starbucks....;)

MiguelHammond10

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
75%
Jun 12, 2017
Seattle
Coffee shop is really a good Business, we drink coffee everyday just make sure your workers would be nice to customers that is all.

Iammelissamoore

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
239%
Sep 23, 2014
Trinidad and Tobago
We only got one big supplier for Coffee Shop here in France, the second one is growing and just invest in 10 millions to grow faster and add more product, but again he is not telling on articles / interview what are his plans for the future (is he just investing in truck to deliver faster or is he investing 10m to grow his stockage space to add more products...)

Product with Coffee are everywhere, i don't think we got any opportunity here, and don't find it attractive.
The only other thing is being a Coffee Shop Supplier but how do you start from scratch when you have to get many product in your catalog to attract clients ?
I don't think the Bank will lend me 1/2 millions like that..

I would say not so much excepted doing way better than them, but if i want to be different from the market, i'll just have to add Nitro Coffee / Specialty Coffee Drinks (Slow Coffee) because nobody is doing that, but again, Specialty Coffee is not a thing here excepted in Paris where you got UK/USA people who know these drinks and buy them. Otherwise, people here just want a great places, great drinks, great service and authenticity, i can bring that with my ideas of italian culture and my knowledge/creativity.

Where i want to open my Coffee Shop, people are moving from one place to other because, one got Coffee and food but don't get fruits or Milkshakes, or one got Milkshakes and Coffee but don't have any foods (because they are lazy and don't want to deal with suppliers)

My place will get everything, because i know how to get everything in one place, it's difficult but when you're used to it, it can be done at any time.
Business is not always about re-inventing the wheel and at the same time, nothing worthwhile comes easily. There must be something(s), and I'm sure there are a lot, that the supplier in your country is not doing that you can do to add to the market.

Take Cuba for example, Cuba is one of many coffee capitals of the world, I'm sure there are hundreds of coffee brands that exist; however, they don't allow competition to be an issue for the country. You see, the thing about most of Cuba's Coffee Suppliers is that, while, for them, it is great to serve the best coffee within Cuba (regardless of what aspect of business they choose), it doesn't end there. Most of these Suppliers provide to the World - yes, the world, as like this big global space that has 7 billion+ humans. Therefore, being a Coffee Supplier doesn't mean your only option is to compete with the local brand you know who already supplies within France; however, there are many options for being a supplier to other parts of the world or even other coffee shops/supermarkets in France. Also, there are some coffee shops who would carry more than one brand, sometimes 10 brands or even more, to limit yourself and say you can't is to give up without trying.

As for the investment, it will require money and labour - yes; however, it doesn't mean it cannot be done, what you may have to do is take the knowledge you and your family already have where coffee is concerned, and see how you can adapt to grow from there. The humongous Coffee Plantations in full operations didn't all start with a cheque in the sum of $10Mn and a ready-made staff of 100+, I'm sure if we hear the REAL stories behind the success of most coffee suppliers we would be in disbelief how simple and small some of them began.

"There's one thing about the ability of a human being, when we really want something, we find a way to make it happen! Anything else are just excuses we make to keep ourselves behind."

Iammelissamoore

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
239%
Sep 23, 2014
Trinidad and Tobago
...and they didn't actually grow a whole coffee estate to do so, they import from organic farmers in different parts of the world and re-package with their own branding AND also supply to others too. Nice.

They didn't re-invent the wheel, but they are also making a valuable difference within their target market.

Last edited:

Almantas

Nothing to Lose
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
475%
Dec 21, 2015
Ireland
I think one of the best ways to differentiate yourself from other sheep in the herd is by providing unique experience. Think, why would someone pay €5 at Starbucks, when they can jump next door and get same coffee for €2?

ALC

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
99%
Jul 19, 2017
France
Coffee shop is really a good Business, we drink coffee everyday just make sure your workers would be nice to customers that is all.
It's not that simple, you must add new products and do better than the others, at any prices, because competition is real.

ALC

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
99%
Jul 19, 2017
France
Business is not always about re-inventing the wheel and at the same time, nothing worthwhile comes easily. There must be something(s), and I'm sure there are a lot, that the supplier in your country is not doing that you can do to add to the market.

Take Cuba for example, Cuba is one of many coffee capitals of the world, I'm sure there are hundreds of coffee brands that exist; however, they don't allow competition to be an issue for the country. You see, the thing about most of Cuba's Coffee Suppliers is that, while, for them, it is great to serve the best coffee within Cuba (regardless of what aspect of business they choose), it doesn't end there. Most of these Suppliers provide to the World - yes, the world, as like this big global space that has 7 billion+ humans. Therefore, being a Coffee Supplier doesn't mean your only option is to compete with the local brand you know who already supplies within France; however, there are many options for being a supplier to other parts of the world or even other coffee shops/supermarkets in France. Also, there are some coffee shops who would carry more than one brand, sometimes 10 brands or even more, to limit yourself and say you can't is to give up without trying.

As for the investment, it will require money and labour - yes; however, it doesn't mean it cannot be done, what you may have to do is take the knowledge you and your family already have where coffee is concerned, and see how you can adapt to grow from there. The humongous Coffee Plantations in full operations didn't all start with a cheque in the sum of $10Mn and a ready-made staff of 100+, I'm sure if we hear the REAL stories behind the success of most coffee suppliers we would be in disbelief how simple and small some of them began.

"There's one thing about the ability of a human being, when we really want something, we find a way to make it happen! Anything else are just excuses we make to keep ourselves behind."
One thing is for sure, the idea of being a Coffee Supplier (material, food, drinks, paper cups..........) have been around for months! And i know it would work but the thing is HOW?

And by HOW? I mean MONEY.
For sure they don't got everything, far from that and i see opportunity everywhere in that domain, but how can you start to supply people when you don't get enough space to store products ?
I mean, a storage space is expensive..
I've been searching on how they started but there is nothing on the web, maybe i should just ask them for a kind of interview and go see them as a marketing students who study their case for the course...

I see what you mean by that, start little and grow, step by step.
I don't see how can i start selling product that i don't have in hands, drop shipping in low quantity cost way more than high quantity.

ALC

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
99%
Jul 19, 2017
France
I think one of the best ways to differentiate yourself from other sheep in the herd is by providing unique experience. Think, why would someone pay €5 at Starbucks, when they can jump next door and get same coffee for €2?
It's all about this, i know that.
Design, unique experience with real Baristas, vintage machines, knowledge and excellent drinks, as well as food and pastries.
But i think you're right, it's all about experience, and people go to Starbucks because there a Brand behind that, and people are searching that.

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)
i always see restaurants and coffee shops open and bankrupt within a few months or so, funny to see people think they can compete with global brands that have been established over decades.

the only positive thing i can say is if you have location in one of those fake mini italian towns perhaps you could enjoy some 'success'

how about you lease a place for a few months and try it out if you are so strongly convinced you are capable of competing with all the millions of other coffee shops on the street, i can lease a building in canada for a few thousand $ a month, not sure how it works in euro land. launch your shop and dive in and commit your soul to it. no need to risk your whole savings, if you are profitable over a few months in one shop (risking maybe a few grand) you can go from there..

ALC

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
99%
Jul 19, 2017
France
i always see restaurants and coffee shops open and bankrupt within a few months or so, funny to see people think they can compete with global brands that have been established over decades.

the only positive thing i can say is if you have location in one of those fake mini italian towns perhaps you could enjoy some 'success'

how about you lease a place for a few months and try it out if you are so strongly convinced you are capable of competing with all the millions of other coffee shops on the street, i can lease a building in canada for a few thousand $ a month, not sure how it works in euro land. launch your shop and dive in and commit your soul to it. no need to risk your whole savings, if you are profitable over a few months in one shop (risking maybe a few grand)
Because the market in US is different from EU market, i know my market and i know what's going on with big brand like Starbucks and others.
I got my own plan to grow and to be preferred besides my competitors.
That's what i'm going to do, open my own Coffee Shop, beat every others Coffee Shop and then grow. I know this is simple to say, but when you see clearly the opportunity they don't see, you're just telling yourself " F*ck it, i'm in "

SJAM

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Jul 4, 2017
United Kingdom
I would say something a bit different from the Fastlane way, but there is no holidays for hustlers, i want to get myself hustling for the next 10-20 years to come to build something big, and after that i would plan to get some holidays, well deserved holidays.
Because as long you love the process, you don't actually need vacations, but i got your point

But if you're asking, you just have to hire a manager, explain him how it works, get some paper to explain him while you're out in holidays and this is good, i mean i'm already doing that in my parents Coffee Shop and this is simple.

As long as there is a place in the market for me, i would go all in and build 2 to 3 shops a year after 3 years of activity and increase step by step this ratio.(i don't know in UK or USA but only after 3 years of activity you know if you're good to go or not because you got the real big taxes in the end of the third years of activity, if you survive and still have money after that, you're good.)

- Why not give them a reason to keep thei

- What is the market
I don't understand why this is so difficult, because it truly isn't.

Circumstances dictate the answer: Is there a need for a coffee shop?

Circumstances: There's a fire and the window is your only escape. Do you need to jump out a window?

Hi AlessioLC,

- what is the market mind indicating ...?

Right now AI and Augmented Reality is gaining traction. As an example can you link the two?

- Create value with the coffee CUP,

- think about it .... give your customers a reason to keep the cup... ☕️

- I have some thoughts on it that you may find of use , run with it.

- I've come to realise that this forum is in fact real and great discussions are everywhere , action and execution is everything take note there are some incredible people here.

- The very fact that I am engaging in this forum , is that I have a reason to keep the book. It is a continuous engagement between the theory and the market place (us on the forum) and the scripted market. Look at the VALUE in something tangible and intangible ( book and forum).

- And finally what does your cup say about the customer ..?

Best wishes,

SJAM

ALC

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
99%
Jul 19, 2017
France
- Why not give them a reason to keep thei

- What is the market

Hi AlessioLC,

- what is the market mind indicating ...?

Right now AI and Augmented Reality is gaining traction. As an example can you link the two?

- Create value with the coffee CUP,

- think about it .... give your customers a reason to keep the cup... ☕️

- I have some thoughts on it that you may find of use , run with it.

- I've come to realise that this forum is in fact real and great discussions are everywhere , action and execution is everything take note there are some incredible people here.

- The very fact that I am engaging in this forum , is that I have a reason to keep the book. It is a continuous engagement between the theory and the market place (us on the forum) and the scripted market. Look at the VALUE in something tangible and intangible ( book and forum).

- And finally what does your cup say about the customer ..?

Best wishes,

SJAM
I'm working on the cup design actually, not something fancy, but something simple but who speak to the customers, like Starbucks did with their brand and logo, i got my little idea on which writing and logo i can add on it.
That's my preoccupation, because if the customers like my cups, they will add it on social medias, and then people will be interested to my business.
Sort of a marketing 'mouth to mouth'.

BrooklynHustle

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
207%
Apr 3, 2014
DMV
Hi guys,

I've recently introduced myself on that forum and i was wondering what's your thought on Coffee Shop, is it scalable or is it a dead end and a direct way to the slowlane ?

I've been a Barista for 4 years now, i know everything about coffee history and coffee industry, i'm a manager in a Coffee Shop and i run it besides the owner (my parents own it) so i know everything about how to manager suppliers, H.R, Financial ressources and everything who goes with it (Communication, Social, Events)

I deeply think that opening a Coffee Shop is too simple and that if it's too simple, everyone can copy it and maybe do better than me, and if that happen', i would be kind of stuck..
Everything i see on this forum is about bringing value to people, got no expectations from anyone, i've already got that mindset as my parents taught me it all my childhood but i'm stuck with that idea that Coffee Shop was scalable at the time where Starbucks wasn't on the French Market but market is kind of full with Starbucks who's opening like EVERYWHERE.

I could bring value in this domain because i got the knowledge and i care about my customers, my team, as much as i care about my product and quality, even if speed is the assets...but everywhere i go (coffee shop), i don't see creativity, i don't see quality, you got my point..The Sugar Franchise..Starbucks!

The only thing is, i want to create a business that can be franchisable, not that i care only about money, but money can buy your new parents house in the seaside, that's my motivation...

I'm good at what's from italian culture so if you got an idea(coffee,cooking,pizzas...), don't hesitate.

Thank you for taking the time to read ;)
What can you do to set yourself apart and provide relative value and/or fulfill a need which is not being adequately filled?

ALC

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
99%
Jul 19, 2017
France
What can you do to set yourself apart and provide relative value and/or fulfill a need which is not being adequately filled?
I have something actually, i'm working on it.
Looking for a commercial space in my area

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
(Haven't read thread.)

I was thinking a few weeks ago when visiting the small village I'm originally from and counted 7 cafes: it's like cafes are the new public houses (aka pubs).

I don't particularly like coffee, but I like meeting people for a coffee (I'll often have a mug of tea instead.).

I used to like meeting people for a pint, but didn't particularly want the alcohol in it.

I like that meeting for a drink doesn't have to have alcohol in it now.

G

Guest3722A

I have something actually, i'm working on it.
Looking for a commercial space in my area
I'm doing the same thing right now and had a brief discussion with the owner of the bar right by a building I'm looking at about the former tenants that were in the space I'm considering. And her point to me (she knew nothing of what I had - was just being "helpful") was that the companies that were in there prior didn't already have a customer base to work off of, so they failed.

One of the companies she discussed had ambitions of being a florist but wasn't able to secure the money to get coolers prior to her signing on the line and moving in.

Just some things to keep in mind as you're planning this.

G

GuestUser8117

Buongiorno Alessio! I am a coffee junkie( See profile picture).I love coffee and I wanted to get in that business as well but I think the barrier of entry is a bit saturated. I drink about 3-4 espresso a day or if you prefer espresso luongo as they say in italy. Starbuck coffee is shit compared to itaIian espresso coffee. I'll follow your thread.

Right now I am working on an italian cookbook and I'm thinking about giving italian cooking courses. I know how to make risotto, awesome pastas, osso bucco, chicken cacciatore, eggplant parmiginana,etc.

I love everything about italy! I even have italian traits on my face but I'm french. And welcome to the forum!

Btw MJ, good idea for your new book . I'm rarely on the forum, a lot has been going on in my life(But I'm doing well).

Attachments

• IMG_0349.JPG
    IMG_0349.JPG
    165.3 KB · Views: 1

letter9

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
Oct 31, 2015
I see a lot of 'I' 'Me' and 'My' in your question. Does the area you're looking at need another coffee shop? Do you have some unique value that would differentiate your coffee shop from the other coffee shops near you? Do you have something so unique, different, and valuable that someone would want to franchise it instead of franchising a proven brand(Starbucks)? If not, I'd avoid opening a coffee shop.

I don't understand why this is so difficult, because it truly isn't.

Circumstances dictate the answer: Is there a need for a coffee shop?

Circumstances: There's a fire and the window is your only escape. Do you need to jump out a window?

Both great advices.
Do not think what you want, ask what your market wants and if you can get this to them.

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
The one's I've liked are usually one's that have books, magazines, internet cafe's, open mic for music/poetry/storytelling/comedy, and also have like weird names for their coffee. They usually have organic or home made pastries or muffins etc. to go with their coffee.
Since I've been in the Netherlands, I like how they serve a piece of candy or little packaged cookie on the side.
I think if you make it unique and stand out form the rest of the coffee houses, people are more drawn to it.

MainlyMotivation

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
19%
Jun 19, 2017
California
To Do List:

1) Get High quality product
2) Market this product

Is this a good idea? How profitable are the coffee shops in your area? How many are there in your area?

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.